PDA

View Full Version : V8 Supercar Series coming to Austin in 2013

Gnnr
06-30-2011, 10:48 PM
V8 Supercar Series coming to Austin in 2013 - Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/30/v8-supercar-series-coming-to-austin-in-2013/)

It's official – Australia's V8 Supercars series is set to bash fenders in Austin, Texas in 2013. The news comes hard on the heels of the Austin city council approving the United States Grand Prix Formula One race at the Circuit of the Americas.

The FIA-sanctioned touring car series has signed a five-year contract and the two 124-mile (200-km) races will be televised live on SPEED. The 3.4-mile Circuit of the Americas will also play host to MotoGP bike racing, having sewn up that series from 2013 to 2022. Check out the full details in the press release after the jump.

I approve of this. Its better than Nascar and anything that brings success to the Austin track is insurance for the F1 USGP. I really want that track to become successful at bringing in international/world races (which is what they're aiming for). Its a quick flight from anywhere in the US, that track is gonna be awesome.

DS562
06-30-2011, 11:02 PM
hopefuly, im tired of left turns.

codyace
06-30-2011, 11:56 PM
hopefuly, im tired of left turns.

I saw a few rights last weekend?

...then again I guess it's easier being an internet coolguy

Nascar rocks if you know what to look for. Most casual observers wouldn't ever keep up with it all.

simmode1
07-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Awesome! Right about the time I should moving back there.:bigok:

drift freaq
07-01-2011, 10:55 AM
If I get tired of living in Socal I know where I am headed.

simmode1
07-01-2011, 11:00 AM
^^^Oh you know, Austin doesn't require emissions testing to pass state inspections, right?:naughty:

BustedS13
07-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Nascar rocks if you know what to look for. Most casual observers wouldn't ever keep up with it all.

http://i.imgur.com/6vAWg.gif

seeing it live will change most negative opinions, i think. just flipping past a race on cable doesn't really make anybody an expert.

axiomatik
07-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Cool to see them coming to America and glad to see the new track will be getting lots of use.

There's 36 races in the series, and what, 4 of them are on road courses? That means *only* 89% of their races are on ovals.

Frankly, I'm tired of nascar taking up all the media attention in this country. It drowns out all the other racing series and makes it that much harder for those of us who prefer other forms of racing to find them on TV.

codyace
07-01-2011, 03:25 PM
seeing it live will change most negative opinions, i think. just flipping past a race on cable doesn't really make anybody an expert.

For sure. The technology involved is outstanding, especially giving their restrictions and limits. It's really nutty to read some of the engineering comparions between those engines and F1 engines...and also neat to see how much 'more capable' they would be without caps and limits...they really are sick setups for a '355'.

There's 36 races in the series, and what, 4 of them are on road courses? That means *only* 89% of their races are on ovals.

Frankly, I'm tired of nascar taking up all the media attention in this country. It drowns out all the other racing series and makes it that much harder for those of us who prefer other forms of racing to find them on TV.

I really like watching professional soccer, but you don't see my 'upset' that the NFL and MLB are on every night...ya know what I mean? NASCAR is extremely popular and widely followed....ALMS isn't...so why should the networkds devote equal time to both, especially when those who really follow the other series's can find them online and or know where to find them on cable channels?

Trust me, I'm a track guy...I can understand the frustration, but in the same moment I also understand why it is so. I do however wish Speed would start a 'Nascar Network' and Speed would focus on everything else, but that's probably not feasible.

word sux
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I can't wait to see this! I have always loved the v8 super cars they are sick

K_style
07-01-2011, 07:51 PM
I heard about this before.. finally it is an official !

and Yes I am tired of Left turns and occasional Right turns..

Mista Juice
07-01-2011, 08:11 PM
^^^Oh you know, Austin doesn't require emissions testing to pass state inspections, right?:naughty:

they have since '05 actually..

and yes.. i cant wait for this track to open.. heres a pic from a couple months ago..

http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/10300/10345.jpg

HyperTek
07-01-2011, 08:26 PM
and some already think F1 needs to get out of texas already
Whitmarsh: F1 needs more than one race in the USA | 2011 F1 season (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/06/30/whitmarsh-f1-race-usa/)
suggested long beach and new york, have 2 US grand prixs. I support that idea.

simmode1
07-01-2011, 11:53 PM
This. I want to see this.
2MlXc3w6CHI

BustedS13
07-02-2011, 12:59 AM
and some already think F1 needs to get out of texas already
Whitmarsh: F1 needs more than one race in the USA | 2011 F1 season (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/06/30/whitmarsh-f1-race-usa/)
suggested long beach and new york, have 2 US grand prixs. I support that idea.

austin and NY would be cool

california is so 1965

word sux
07-02-2011, 07:37 AM
they have been talking about using monticello motorsports club for ny

codyace
07-02-2011, 08:08 AM
they have been talking about using monticello motorsports club for ny

that's new to me, I know the proposed North Jersey street track got squashed :(

drift freaq
07-02-2011, 11:42 AM
austin and NY would be cool

california is so 1965

Ya except there was no Formula one in Long Beach in 1965. It was at Watkins Glen in upstate New York.

It was in Long Beach in the late 70's into the early 80's

Long Beach sounds like a good possibility.. The only problem with Long Beach is it was costing the city to much money and Bernie Ecclestone was not playing ball. Perhaps a more favorable deal with FIA would bring it back. I would love to see F1 cars on the streets of Long Beach.

Oh and California actually does make perfect sense for F1. They could slot it right after the Asia races and then have the Texas race follow. They could also schedule the Brazilian Grand Prix in the same time frame as well. Then send them back to the continent for the European stuff.

Oh and I would love to see it return to Watkins Glen on the Nostalgia front but the owners of Watkins Glen so do not take care of the track and would not want to spend the money.

word sux
07-02-2011, 01:06 PM
that's new to me, I know the proposed North Jersey street track got squashed :(

actually monticello was the original track they were considering to use for f1's return to the us but theres alot of things the track needs to do to support it plus they don't have the proper papers to have spectators yet (next year)

S14kouki_10
07-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Finally something cool in Austin.

DS562
07-03-2011, 09:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6vAWg.gif

i've been to a nascar race, didnt much care for it. nothing negative about my thoughts on it, i just couldnt get into it.

speaking of supercars
k0TONBwqc7E

chitownguy
07-04-2011, 10:25 PM
This is awesome news, I love the V8 Supercar series and Austin is not very far from me at all. I'm there almost every other weekend already, this would just give me another good reason to go.