PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 2014 1.6 v6 Turbo

mrchomponthis
06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
The FIA, motorsport’s governing body, has confirmed that Formula One racing will move to new engine regulations in 2014, with the current 2.4 litre V8s being replaced by more efficient 1.6 litre, turbocharged V6s.

The FIA had originally planned a switch to four-cylinder engines in 2013, but has approved the revised formula in light of concerns formalised last week by various interested parties.

“Following a fax vote by its members, the World Motor Sport Council has ratified the engine regulations recently drawn up in consultation with the main stakeholders in Formula One,” read an FIA statement.

“The new power plant will be a V6 1.6 turbo unit with energy recovery systems. This new formula will come into effect as from the start of the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship season.”

The new energy recovery systems (ERS) will replace the current kinetic energy recovery systems (KERS) and are expected to be more powerful. Combined with the legalisation of turbocharging, they will ensure overall power outputs remain similar to current levels, despite an anticipated drop in the permitted rev limit.

Formula One’s last turbo era ended in 1988, a season dominated by the 1.5 litre V6 Honda-powered McLaren’s of Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna. The sport returned to naturally aspirated engines in 1989, with a new 3.5 litre formula.

ManoNegra
06-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Should be interesting
has been coming for a while now

HyperTek
06-30-2011, 03:47 PM
i dont think it will change the racing that much though.. technology wise , it should be an improvement.

THey need to bring back manual shifters imo.

WmBl_XT0BpU

TheWolf
06-30-2011, 04:04 PM
More technocrap.. Take the chains off of them.. I wanna see a no revlimit, no boost limit, computer controlled suspension, full ground effects sucker car take a lap..

brndck
06-30-2011, 05:22 PM
More technocrap.. Take the chains off of them.. I wanna see a no revlimit, no boost limit, computer controlled suspension, full ground effects sucker car take a lap..

while i would love to see this also, the FIA is dedicated to making F1 the test bed for more efficient technology (some of which we may or may not see trickle down into production cars)

remember when vtec was only a race-car pipe dream?

bik
07-01-2011, 02:01 PM

U wanna see deadly crashes, this is not nascar to amuse you by crashing O_O

ZilviaKid
07-02-2011, 01:30 PM
im not gonna lie, i would really wish they do away with all the regulations also. a car where the sky is the limit would be the coolest fucking thing on earth.

of course it would just be a biggest budget is the winner thing but it would still be cool.

that said, yay turbos are back!

word sux
07-02-2011, 06:08 PM
I agree I really want to see what could be done unlimited. it was be insane

Tantwoforty
07-02-2011, 08:10 PM
that pass was sexy haha

WanganRunner
07-02-2011, 08:48 PM

This would require to much circuit re-design, and would probably make for less exciting racing. Given that it's on a fixed circuit, why even have a driver then? Just have a bunch of computers in totally unrestricted cars.

You have to balance the sport with the technology, I think this is a positive development, and I'm happy to see turbos come back.

adam s
07-02-2011, 10:55 PM
I think in the long run, getting away from larger, less efficient engines is a plus, and could lead to some real neat technology being seen (someday...) in production cars.

Edit: I apparently didnt read and ended up rephrasing what brndck (http://zilvia.net/f/members/brndck.html) already said. So yeh...