PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens when you buy fake wheels (Varrstoen)

Silvette
06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm not going to get into any arguments about "I buy fake wheels, because the real ones are too expensive" or any of that BS

This is to show that not only fake wheels/parts are made of poor quality and are dangerous but you also take away food from the hardworking companies that develop these parts with thousands invested into R&D. This is currently killing the JDM companies that were establish here, why fake the funk? Same as buying fake Jordan's

Anyways back to my original point;

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5261/5884248459_73da188d5b.jpg

The owner not only put BBS center caps on a fake Varrstoen copy. He went over a pot hole at 25 mph and this happened. A rim of high quality will not crack in half like this. Last I head he got a full set as replacement, but I would of rather got a refund or threaten to sue. :mephfawk:

Gnnr
06-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Wow, thats one of the worse I've seen. Its all around!

wannabdr1ftr
06-29-2011, 09:36 AM
dang...that's worse than some Rota pics I have seen

Silvette
06-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Wow, thats one of the worse I've seen. Its all around!

dang...that's worse than some Rota pics I have seen

1 piece became a 2 piece rim :ddog:

enkei2k
06-29-2011, 09:38 AM
how big was the pothole lol? i hit a huge pothole going 70 and I ended up with a slight bend (forged wheels though :D). damn 25 is really slow and seems very unlikely that such a slow speed caused it. Proof of it being a Varrstoen and not, say, a Rota? Not that it matters, but still, something doesn't seem right, even for a 'knock-off', sounds impossible at 25 mph

Silvette
06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
how big was the pothole lol? i hit a huge pothole going 70 and I ended up with a slight bend (forged wheels though :D). damn 25 is really slow and seems very unlikely that such a slow speed caused it. Proof of it being a Varrstoen and not, say, a Rota? Not that it matters, but still, something doesn't seem right, even for a 'knock-off', sounds impossible at 25 mph

words from the owner, i mean yea he could be going faster then 25. We'll never know but like you said at 70 yours was a bend, which is how it should be.

proof its Varrstoen because the original owner said so and he got a full replacement set from them :Ownedd:

whiterps13
06-29-2011, 10:04 AM
What a stupid fucking thread. How do you know he was going 25 mph? How do you know how big the pothole was?

http://www.stanceworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DSC_0475.jpg

Here is a picture of a broken Enkei RPF1. Does that mean that Enkeis suck? Does that mean that every RPF1 is going to split from the barrell?

No, because the wheel took a hard impact. Any wheel that takes a hard impact could break, bend, crack, etc. Posting up some picture that some dude posted on the internet with some story and automatically going after the "fake" wheels is so stupid. He could replace that street-driven wheel with a whole SET of "fake" wheels for the price of ONE "real" wheel that might have cracked/bent/broken under the same hard impact.

Yes, Im biased because I own a set of FAKE Rotas. I dont give a shit because theyre stupid cheap, fit great for 4 lug, and are virtually dispensable street wheels for the price. If I was building a crazy track car with an unlimited budget obviously they wouldnt be my first choice. But Im not.

jamg
06-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Lol @ the fact that some people pay up to 1000 for some chinese wheels. If I wanted some chinese wheels, i'd get 'real' chinese wheels.

See what I did thar

dudermagee
06-29-2011, 10:09 AM
lol at buying fake wheels.
I paid 1k picked up for my work equip 05 18x8&18x9 +35 with almost new tires.
Granted I bought new outer lips brand from work and I'm getting different Tires, but I could have rocked those just fine if I had wanted to.

Tantwoforty
06-29-2011, 10:20 AM
i know a handfull of people who rock fake wheels all day. and that's in this town where the roads are potholes all over the place and the only rim ive ever seen crack was a oem nissan g35 wheel on a twin turbo z32
there's no way in hell 25mph did that to that wheel i dont care if he hit a wall and then a herd of buffalo let alone a pothole..
plus
when you have stiff ass suspension and tiny tires..
its YOUR job to avoid potholes ect..
a good enough hit and some luck will break any wheel fake or not

jandysil80
06-29-2011, 10:22 AM
agree w/ whiterps13..... A buddy of mine had a OEM R33 FORGED rim break off and ended up looking like that RPF1, seen it first hand, and he wasnt even drifting, it was an HPDE.
Something doesnt add up.....no fuckin way thats gonna happen at 25 mph over a pothole

enkei2k
06-29-2011, 10:25 AM
found it: Link to original thread:

Potholes. - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=371150)

Silvette
06-29-2011, 10:25 AM
What a stupid fucking thread. How do you know he was going 25 mph? How do you know how big the pothole was?

Here is a picture of a broken Enkei RPF1. Does that mean that Enkeis suck? Does that mean that every RPF1 is going to split from the barrell?

No, because the wheel took a hard impact. Any wheel that takes a hard impact could break, bend, crack, etc. Posting up some picture that some dude posted on the internet with some story and automatically going after the "fake" wheels is so stupid. He could replace that street-driven wheel with a whole SET of "fake" wheels for the price of ONE "real" wheel that might have cracked/bent/broken under the same hard impact.

Yes, Im biased because I own a set of FAKE Rotas. I dont give a shit because theyre stupid cheap, fit great for 4 lug, and are virtually dispensable street wheels for the price. If I was building a crazy track car with an unlimited budget obviously they wouldnt be my first choice. But Im not.

Look here buddy im not here to get into an argument about your fake wheel. Fact is this picture was posted by a friend of mine who owns a well known blog. The owner of Varrstoen called said blog owner and tried to hush him. This post/thread is my own personal opinion and does not reflect the views of who I might potentially represent.

Here is a picture from a buddy of mine, who went over a pothole at 65 with a real Volk CE28

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a162/joygl00/263zpcw.jpg

If Rota is all you can afford then good for you

Silvette
06-29-2011, 10:26 AM
found it: Link to original thread:

Potholes. - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3) (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=371150)

yeap thanks, look the the original poster removed the image for obvious reasons

sidewaysil80
06-29-2011, 10:28 AM
karma for trying to pass it off as authentic...jus sayin.

Silvette
06-29-2011, 10:30 AM

lol agreed

ronmcdon
06-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Edit nvm, pothole was hit @ 25 mph.
We don't know how bad the pothole was, or whether the OP of the bmw thread was being honest, but still.

I was driving and minding my business when I hit a small pot hole, and it turned out to be a bigger pot hole after my car drove over it. It went from a 4 inch wide pothole to a 2 foot wide one.. The ground underneath the pothole gave away and f*ck me over.

25 miles going up a hill in 4th gear.

But to each & their own, the fake wheels debate will never end.

Yeah I feel he deserved it for that reason alone.
Dude has an e46 (m3?) so it's not like he's broke.

Tantwoforty
06-29-2011, 10:34 AM
the wheel on the yellow car looks more like what should have happened..
the cracking all the way around the barrel is pretty bad.
but then again.. you only see the horror story's like these..
you never hear about all the people who are smart enough to
1. at least look at the fake wheels and make a good choice and pick a "good" fake wheel (sounds dumb i know)
2. drive carefully
3. STOP DRIVING ON A WHEEL ON THE FIRST SIGN OF DAMAGE

i cant even tell you how many people with cracked rims i see just rockin them like its all good..

im not trying to defend fake wheels.. just saying they all arnt as bad as this one. and not everyone wants to spend money on real wheels. or has to wait untill a more logical time in the build process to afford them..
at the very least. if you know you have fake wheels.. avoid potholes and big bumps ect.. check your wheels now and then..
be proactive and smart and you will be fine 85% of the time

edit:
lol
this:

^ dont ever try to make the fake look real.. i dont think it ever pays off in the end haha

double edit
this is a quote from the owner of that red bmw
"Spoke with the Company today, All three sales rep/managers were helpful and willing to help me. This company has been one of the best I've spoken too so far. Everything worked out better than I imagined and I'll be on the road again in a few days! Thanks to Richard from Varrstoen. I will still be a loyal customer to them. Up next Varrstoen ES 2.2.2.! woohoo.!"

just sayn.. would work or volk or bbs give you a new set of wheels because YOU cracked one?
not bad service for fake eh?
this is actually pretty impressive. when i think of fake i think ebay no support nameless seller type thing..

triple edit (im really bored this morning lol)
varrstoen has some pretty hot wheels lol i was checking out there website
and they're not super dirt cheap.. ~ $1000 new
idk if i would really call these fake, sure they are no work, volk, bbs ect..
but i would take these over a set of xxr's
is a nissan a fake car because its cheaper than a lambo?
why all the hate on this company... im sure they knew that dude wasn't going 25 and still gave him a $1000 set of wheels for free so they would look good
oh zilvia and your high horse

nismolvr
06-29-2011, 10:50 AM
That shit is all over the web. Theres no way in hell that rim busted @ 25MPH! Sounds like some one was speeding busted their rim hitting a pothole, called rim company and changed their story . All of a sudden they were doing only 25MPH , GTFO! If that was the case , this company would never get off the ground with such bad product rep.There would be a huge list of complaints and broken wheels at low speeds , LOL. Owner is trying to pressure company into a getting a new set of wheels or worse , threatening with court action.

Manufactures / sales reps , fear this kind of consumer , of course they naturally want to keep this hush . The internet is full of misinformation and cases like this hurt sales.Theres alot here that doesnt add up. As a rim company I would give that Customer his new wheel and Im sure they will. Too bad , they all ready did more damage by bad mouthing their product over the WWWeb. That my 2 cents.
Im not pro knock off Wheels .Common sense says theres no way in hell that shit broke @25MPH.

silviaguy240
06-29-2011, 11:01 AM
25 miles going up a hill in 4th gear.

maybe its just me but this is what really doesnt make sense. he makes it seem like hes taking it sooooo easy, just barely moving at 25mph babying the car hits a pot hole and the wheel breaks. i know its a 6 speed but 4th gear at 25mph? uphill at that? thats like 1200 rpm bogging. as been stated im sure he was going much faster and hit something huge.

Silvette
06-29-2011, 11:02 AM
That shit is all over the web. Theres no way in hell that rim busted @ 25MPH! Sounds like some one was speeding busted their rim hitting a pothole, called rim company and changed their story . All of a sudden they were doing only 25MPH , GTFO! If that was the case , this company would never get off the ground with such bad product rep.There would be a huge list of complaints and broken wheels at low speeds , LOL. Owner is trying to pressure company into a getting a new set of wheels or worse , threatening with court action.

Manufactures / sales reps , fear this kind of consumer , of course they naturally want to keep this hush . The internet is full of misinformation and cases like this hurt sales.Theres alot here that doesnt add up. As a rim company I would give that Customer his new wheel and Im sure they will. Too bad , they all ready did more damage by bad mouthing their product over the WWWeb. That my 2 cents.

They are trying to cover this up as quick as possible. A new set of rims were already give to the owner. Hey, I mean if I owned a company that made $$$$ off of ripping someone's else hard work and sold it for more than half off. If this happened I would provide the best customer service possible and replace the rim.

future
06-29-2011, 11:02 AM
No zilvia and you high horses"

Good quote

Silvette
06-29-2011, 11:03 AM
maybe its just me but this is what really doesnt make sense. he makes it seem like hes taking it sooooo easy, just barely moving at 25mph babying the car hits a pot hole and the wheel breaks. i know its a 6 speed but 4th gear at 25mph? uphill at that? thats like 1200 rpm bogging. as been stated im sure he was going much faster and hit something huge.

yea i mean it's fishy that he's going that slow, but regardless a well built rim will not break into two pieces like that

silviaguy240
06-29-2011, 11:10 AM
yea i mean it's fishy that he's going that slow, but regardless a well built rim will not break into two pieces like that

also could of just been a bad wheel that got past "quality control", shit happens. ive seen plenty of good quality products, not just wheels, that are bad from the factory and just break.

sidewaysil80
06-29-2011, 11:14 AM

thats not true...somebody a couple pictures up just posted a picture of an rpf01. i also had a friend do almost the same thing with a work cr-kai.

curbhuggerrps13
06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
So said friend has fame rims on his e36. Tires that where probably too, went over a pot hole at 25 MPH. A speed that is used is residentials to Dodge pedestrians etc hit a pot hole with his fake wheels and you feel a thread was the best thing you can do about this situation?

Silvette
06-29-2011, 11:16 AM
So said friend has fame rims on his e36. Tires that where probably too, went over a pot hole at 25 MPH. A speed that is used is residentials to Dodge pedestrians etc hit a pot hole with his fake wheels and you feel a thread was the best thing you can do about this situation?

:picardfp: /reading

not a friend, the guy drives a e46 ... my thread has nothing to do with fixing his situation ...

Redstar
06-29-2011, 11:32 AM
At the end of the day unless your wheel is a solid diamond or something comparable in strength it could bend/crack/break if you hit something. I don't have "fake" wheels, and plenty of people I know with Works, Rays, etc. have had bends or cracks in the lips of their wheels from track days and whatnot. Granted I do think it's rather unusual that the entire lip sheared off, but there are too many variables that contribute to this to make the assumption that these types of wheels are completely unsafe to drive on.

Most people hate on them because they're reproductions of original designs from more reputable manufacturers rather than their strength. If they pass JWL and VIA safety tests, that's good enough for most people. I'm willing to bet that even some OE wheels are manufactured in the same facility as Varrstoen.

SLiDe_WaYz
06-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Look here buddy im not here to get into an argument about your fake wheel. Fact is this picture was posted by a friend of mine who owns a well known blog. The owner of Varrstoen called said blog owner and tried to hush him. This post/thread is my own personal opinion and does not reflect the views of who I might potentially represent.

Here is a picture from a buddy of mine, who went over a pothole at 65 with a real Volk CE28

This is understandable, but the pic the OP posted about his friend and what not that's ridiculous the entire wheel came apart was it glued together or something? I have Motegi Touge's, which aren't the greatest, but I don't think they would fall in half like that that's ridiculous I'd get a refund and then some if something like that ever happened to any rim I own.

roboticnissan
06-29-2011, 11:57 AM
My first trip out to buuttonwillow raceway an integra understeered off the track at over 100mph and slammed into the track. He had real volks ce28 iirc and he still held air in the tire after. Just a massive dent in the barrel.

Fact: real wheels are stronger than replicas

Fact: if you hit something stationary and solid like a curb, real or fake, your gonna replace your wheel.

curbhuggerrps13
06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
There is always a chance if a bad batch that goes out. I'm pretty sure you know of a few things authentic or not that broke.like my damn ps3

josephin510
06-29-2011, 12:05 PM
I should of saved my Horror pics from my rotas. Hit a pothole at normal freeway speed at lost a spoke.

Mikey213
06-29-2011, 12:17 PM
wow, how much do Varrstoen wheels run? What are they made out of?

DJDANGER24
06-29-2011, 12:24 PM

Are you REALLY comparing a fuckin race car to a street car? Come on dude, your comparison is irrelevant to the original post.

nismolvr
06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
They are trying to cover this up as quick as possible. A new set of rims were already give to the owner. Hey, I mean if I owned a company that made $$$$ off of ripping someone's else hard work and sold it for more than half off. If this happened I would provide the best customer service possible and replace the rim.
I dont blame the company at all They offer an alternative to more expensive wheels. I look at it like this . We all like the finer better made more expensive products in life.They are better products .Some just like having more expensive shit for the sheer Bragging rights. Some of us have Crystal Champagne taste but in reality can only afford Budweiser, lol. This company offers an alternative (Budweiser ). Its not the best , better made wheel than the Original BBS , but it still provides same function. Not at the same standards, but still does the same thing none the less.You Still gets you buzzed sort of speak. I know its a bad analogy. We can have the same argument about every kind of consumer products.There is just diferent standards. Thats all I got to say about that.

As far as Stealing ,taking sales away from Original Designers , How? People clearly know these are not original BBS . If you had BBS money would you buy the fake or real? You wouldnt even consider these.If they sold them as such (real), thats copy right theft.

Back to the Original Complaintant , the guy owns an BMW M3. This guy Clearly has Champagne taste , But for whatever reasons purchased Budweiser wheels. Hell Im not bashing him for doing it. But most people would, for the fact that he can afford a real M3 and cant afford real BBSs.

I think the guy was at fault . No way he busted that wheel @ 25MPH. One last thing , he stated that the second pot hole was 2 feet wide . Its his fault again ,cause he wasnt paying attention. @ 25 MPH I highly doubt it .

I wish I could get my parts replaced for free .Everytime I was negligent and at fault.

DJDANGER24
06-29-2011, 12:31 PM
$1000 for a set of 4 NEW wheels is cheap, i dunno where you buy your wheels at.

just sayn.. would work or volk or bbs give you a new set of wheels because YOU cracked one?

Other than a racetrack or car event, have you ever seen a work, bbs, volk or other genuine wheel crack the way the original wheel in question cracked?

sidewaysil80
06-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Other than a racetrack or car event, have you ever seen a work, bbs, volk or other genuine wheel crack the way the original wheel in question cracked?

yes, like i mentioned earlier.... work cr-kai. was destroyed by an i-95 pothole.

DJDANGER24
06-29-2011, 12:33 PM
We all like the finer better made more expensive products in life.They are better products .Some just like having more expensive shit for the sheer Bragging rights. Some of us have Crystal Champagne taste but in reality can only afford Budweiser, lol. This company offers an alternative (Budweiser ).
Haha i love this analogy, very well put my friend

DJDANGER24
06-29-2011, 12:35 PM
yes, like i mentioned earlier.... work cr-kai. was destroyed by an i-95 pothole.
Touche, well that sucks. post some pics, i wanna see that damage. not calling you a liar, by any means. Im just curious to see at what speed and what damage was done.

Silvette
06-29-2011, 12:36 PM

Yea 1k for a set of replica is pretty cheap in 18s or 19s

have not yet seen one that broke into two pieces lol

jamg
06-29-2011, 12:36 PM
you can't throw out the chance that he did break the wheel @ 25mph

lets consider the fact that that particular wheel may have been a faulty wheel.

some where in the factors of production, something went wrong.

maybe air bubbles got in it causing it to be able handle must less stress than it should.

nismolvr
06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Fact: real wheels are stronger than replicas

Fact: if you hit something stationary and solid like a curb, real or fake, your gonna replace your wheel.
well said ,my friend

SK91
06-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Its not like these wheels are made of paper or something

Doesn't rota make OEM wheels too?

Freddy
06-29-2011, 01:28 PM
I've always wondered this, with bbs and work VS-XX who copied who? are they considered knock off?

ayuaddict
06-29-2011, 01:29 PM

For what manufacturer?

I've always wondered this, with bbs and work VS-XX who copied who? are they considered knock off?

They are not the same design, I suppose they are close but nobody would mistake one for the other.

Like a banana and a cucumber.

Highway Riding
06-29-2011, 01:35 PM

yes but usually OEM wheels will have a much meatier tire than guys running 35's or 30's like the OP. This is on every forum lolololololololololololololol

Freddy
06-29-2011, 01:40 PM
I dont know when I look at the bbs lm

BBS LM Bright Sil w/Mach Lip (http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelFinish=Bright+Sil+w%2FMach+Lip&wheelMake=BBS&wheelModel=LM)

Work VS-xx:

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m457/derf_3000/30-4-2551-162806-WWorkVSXX.jpg

They look the exact same to me.

xpertsnowcarver
06-29-2011, 01:42 PM
You guys might want to alter you're thinking a bit...

Beyond me why some of you use lightweight (sometimes) racing wheels on the street in the first place. They are light because they ARE NOT MADE to handle potholes at any speed (Okay... Maybe 5 mph.. But after that, something is going to get hurt. Wheel, suspension...) That's why they are so light...

If you're that bent (pun??) on getting flashy lightweight baller looking wheels on your hooptie but would cry yourself to sleep because you're afraid to damage your pretty looking wheels, then fuck it... Buy you're fake wheels... A pothole will damage a lightweight wheel regardless if its real or fake... Don't fucking complain that a pothole destroyed your wheel.. You should have known the risk in the first place. OEM wheels can better handle potholes because of their designed reinforcement.

spiderlone
06-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Have fun paying $1000 plus for 1 set of rims and I'll have fun paying $1000 for 2 or 3 sets of rims with tires with my nice hook up. Depending which xxr I pick up.

VROOOM
06-29-2011, 01:45 PM
For what manufacturer?

they make or have made wheels for Ford, Datsun, Isuzu, Mercedes-Benz, Opel, Toyota, Daihatsu. also says they produce 50,000 wheels a month. there is no way there are 50,000 Rotas made a month.

its on thier website

"Philippine Aluminum Wheels Inc. (PAWI), was established on October 8, 1976 as a joint venture between FPS of Italy and Romeo S. Rojas to engage in the manufacture of alloy wheels in the Philippines.

The company's first production of its Rota brand of wheels was in 1977, with an initial production capacity of 4,000 wheels a month. In just the company's first year, Rota wheels are chosen by Chrysler-Mitsubishi (Philippines) as OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for its vehicles passing through the stringent OEM specifications of its parent company in Japan.

The following year saw other major car assemblers engaging the services of the company to manufacture their OE wheel requirements for their vehicles. These companies included Ford, Datsun, Isuzu, Mercedes-Benz, Opel and Volkswagen.

In 1983, after seven years of operation, PAWI became a 100% Filipino corporation. It also marked the year that Japanese technology was introduced into the company's manufacturing operations.

In 1988, PAWI develops its "magnesium-strengthened, heat treatable alloy," making Rota wheels lighter yet stronger and more durable. The following year saw a major upgrade of facilities as PAWI introduced state-of-the-art technological improvements in the form of the latest equipment and machines that speed up and improve chemical analysis, machining, painting and finishing. With the comeback of Toyota into the Philippine market, they chose Rota wheels as their OE wheels, as well as Daihatsu.

In 1990, a milestone was met when PAWI hits a record production of 20,000 Rota wheels per month.

Today, PAWI produces alloy wheels of world-class quality, using state-of-the-art technology. A new series of upgrading has since boosted its production capacity to new heights of 50,000 wheels a month. More than ten times of its capacity when it first started."

DustinSixOh9
06-29-2011, 01:49 PM
All i get from this is that the guy wasn't going 25mph, and it was a huge pot hole to begin with. Maybe he was in a 25mph zone who knows, but no way that happened going 25. Stiff suspension + very thin tires+ big pot hole wouldn't end well for any wheels.

Firestorm
06-29-2011, 01:51 PM
last year i had an accident with my car, which broke one of my enkei rpf1 wheels, an approx. 8" section of the outer barrell broke off. do i blame enkei? no.

every wheel can break, depending on how strong the impact is, and how its made.

an enkei rpf-1 is a low pressure cast wheel, which makes it one of the lightest wheels for the price that performs great as long as you stay on the road and don't hit anything. but since a low pressure casting lacks strength, it breaks easily compared to maybe a forged wheel. i'm sure if i've had that crash with 600$ a piece forged wheel, the wheel would've been bent, but not broken.

what i'm saying is, knockoffs still suck, but even brand name wheels can break. it all comes down to how the wheel is made. and since most knockoff manufacturers use cheap casting techniques and materials they're more likely to break i'd say.

Matej
06-29-2011, 02:13 PM
When my Works first came in, I accidentally bumped one against a wooden door frame as I was carrying it into the garage, and it left a dent in the lip. :(
When I had old Sportmaxes, I once shattered a curb with them, and did not find any damage to the wheel.

I still like the Works more. :)

SK91
06-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Obviously ur sportmaxes are real and your works are fake

usdm180sx
06-29-2011, 02:28 PM
FUCK varstoens that shit can WALK. I'd rather buy used real deal BBS or TE37 all day long than rock fake shit but that's just me.

murda-c
06-29-2011, 02:29 PM
awww man i thought they looked cool...guess i'll stick to my cobra R wheels lol

enkei2k
06-29-2011, 02:38 PM
When my Works first came in, I accidentally bumped one against a wooden door frame as I was carrying it into the garage, and it left a dent in the lip. :(
When I had old Sportmaxes, I once shattered a curb with them, and did not find any damage to the wheel.

I still like the Works more. :)

Obviously ur sportmaxes are real and your works are fake

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL :smash::picardfp:

madd ocx
06-29-2011, 02:58 PM
This thread is hilarious.. I would admit it was stupid to put the bbs logo on his wheel, but any rim will bend/break hitting a pot hole, I don't care what no one says.. its all a matter of luck, driving and how hard you hit it. All companies steal designs and such.. its what your willing to pay for that determines it in the end..

Silvette
06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
FUCK varstoens that shit can WALK. I'd rather buy used real deal BBS or TE37 all day long than rock fake shit but that's just me.

thank you, someone with some common sense

This thread is hilarious.. I would admit it was stupid to put the NBA logo on his wheel, but any rim will bend/break hitting a pot hole, I don't care what no one says.. its all a matter of luck, driving ady how hard you hit it. All companies steal designs and such.. its what your willing to pay for that determines it in the end..

yes a wheel is suppose to bend/break whatever you want to call it, but break in half completely in two pieces?

Bbsalexaz
06-29-2011, 03:26 PM
I'd ratherhave a couple sets of wheels that are 'cheapies' then volks, etc.

tricky_ab
06-29-2011, 05:26 PM
I can't wait till this thread turns into some sort of justification for buying knock off parts for some members...

Matej
06-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Who can count all the GoPro cameras on that car? :)

irax
06-29-2011, 06:38 PM
I think everyone here is missing one BIG factor in the story

"the 4 inch pot hole turned into a 2 foot pot hole"

that is 20 inches of concrete
Any fucking wheel would come out fucked up if the street just gave way under it, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED! Not to mention the fact that it had ruberband tires on.

REPEAT

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BEING A "FAKE" WHEEL! THE WHEEL FAILED BECAUSE THE GROUND GAVE WAY! I don't blame the manufacture of the wheel for wanting to keep this hush/dl until it was proven it was because of the manufacturing, though I think that they should of taken a different stance.

:picardfp::picardfp:

Wake
06-29-2011, 06:45 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to point that out.

ronmcdon
06-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Idk just how reliable the victim is.
It's not likely you'd be going uphill in 4th gear @ 25 mph, so I question if he's full of shit.
There's no pic of the said 'pot-hole' really more of a 'pit' if it's 2 foot deep (thought it was 2 foot 'wide' & was specifying maybe the diameter rather than depth)

I was driving and minding my business when I hit a small pot hole, and it turned out to be a bigger pot hole after my car drove over it. It went from a 4 inch wide pothole to a 2 foot wide one.. The ground underneath the pothole gave away and f*ck me over.

I'm also not sure that the tires would be necessarily more thin (or stretched) than OEM.
I couldn't find any info that would suggest that to be the case.
It was likely already flat by the time the pics were taken.

BOROSUN
06-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah, sketchy 2foot is a cliff .... And he got a new set. I think that's awesome service from varrstoen.

madd ocx
06-29-2011, 07:16 PM
thank you, someone with some common sense

yes a wheel is suppose to bend/break whatever you want to call it, but break in half completely in two pieces?I'm sure its happened to alot of other types of wheels is my point.. who knows if he hit other previous pot holes or whatever and that was the last straw. And you guys keep saying knock off wheels, when a knockoff is something made to replicate something else and being sold as another product when its not.. all the wheels you guys love so much and gawk over are stolen designs as well, from mainly upper end cars or cars most people have never seen over seas. And let me give you a quick story, I was driving in Manhattan one night with my friend who has and evo x with the gold bbs. I have a set of sportmaxx 962's, we both hit the same pothole at around the same speed and guess who's spare was getting put on?, the bbs cracked and bent.. sportmaxxwas fine. Am I saying bbs is bad, definitly not, but shit happens.. so the op making this thread is ridiculous.

BOROSUN
06-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Lol driving on manhattan is a death sentence for any wheels.

Tantwoforty
06-29-2011, 07:29 PM

$1000 is alot of money, i dont care what its for.

and no, well ive seen a te-37 crack from a pothole but he was going like 80 on a 35 series tire
that wheel was really bad.
but im saying they are not all THAT bad
i would rather buy a set of works to.. but my ugly car isint worth 3k wheels lol
i mean really i dont care regardless.. my wheels are some random "msr" ass wheels that came on the car
ill just wait till i find a good deal on a nice used set of rpf-1's or something

Matej
06-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Everybody's town has the worst roads ever.

I on the other hand prefer to have a couple sets of Volks, Works, Garsons, and Weds.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/milyncha/Animal%20Memes/MediumThumbnail-10.jpg

Silvette
06-29-2011, 10:35 PM
JDM Chicago-Japanese Car Community - View Single Post - Varrstoen vs pothole.. fake wheels lol. (http://jdmchicago.com/forums/showpost.php?p=358796&postcount=66)

sw20>>s14
06-29-2011, 10:52 PM
JDM Chicago-Japanese Car Community - View Single Post - Varrstoen vs pothole.. fake wheels lol. (http://jdmchicago.com/forums/showpost.php?p=358796&postcount=66)

wow, i have nothing against varrstoen or any varrstoen users and wanted to stay out of this one, but thats just over the line...varrstoen, i know youre on here, better change your mission statement before you hear from enkeis legal department...scraping sites and passing their content as your own is a huge no no...ask me how i know...

mrflip69
06-29-2011, 10:52 PM
25mph in 4th gear, uphill... that's like truck territory? Super sketch, and way too detailed for someone just tooling around in a bimmer.

Oh, and LOL @ high horse people with their $1000 Works. Try paying for those wheels NEW and making your same argument. (Nothing wrong with used wheels, just the pretentious people snubbing those who buy knockoffs)

Maybe the owner of that BMW was scraping pennies to make car payments. Wouldn't surprise me considering the wheel choice.

DustinSixOh9
06-29-2011, 11:43 PM
wow, i have nothing against varrstoen or any varrstoen users and wanted to stay out of this one, but thats just over the line...varrstoen, i know youre on here, better change your mission statement before you hear from enkeis legal department...scraping sites and passing their content as your own is a huge no no...ask me how i know...
That's varrstoen Europe, different company, just a supplier that varrstoen agreed to let use their name.

pacotaco345
06-30-2011, 12:56 AM
A couple months ago I hit THE largest pothole in the world doing about 30.. I was coming home from mcdonald's at night, soda in one hand, steering wheel/shifter in the other when I came around a corner and BAM! The soda flew out of my hand, all over the car, my head hit the roof, my lip got ripped off and my front left coilover was now blown (granted it was an ebay coil). However, my wheel, a 17 inch MB 7X that you can buy at discount for 90 dollars was not damaged at all. To put it in perspective how big the pothole was I came back the next day to look at it and it had one of those big ass orange traffic cylinders, not the cone, sitting inside of it to mark it, only half of the thing was sticking out of the ground. Idk if mb counts as knockoff but it took some abuse...

Tantwoforty
06-30-2011, 04:10 AM

ohhhh shaaaady

Tantwoforty
06-30-2011, 04:16 AM
i sent them a email with a link to this thread... lets see if they show..

lol

bb4_96
06-30-2011, 06:01 AM
It comes down to quality control. You can have the best designed wheel in the world but if you material quaility control is sketchy your going to have problems.

People still look at this issue all wrong. You may get better wheel design and construction from authentic wheels vs. knockoff wheels but what really makes the difference is in the defect detection and quality assurance. A quality cast wheel should cost much more these "knockoff" ones on the market due to all the extra quality assurance that needs to be accounted for with the casting process. Forging rules out alot of those issues so you're naturally going to get a better product.

I like the guy that points out people touting used volks over new "knockoffs". At least you know what types of measures volk used 5-10 years ago as opposed to what assurance measures are forgone by current "knockoff" manufacturers....just stupid. It's not about money or haves or have nots, it's about quality of manufacture. This isn't rocket science. Who cares if you have a really nicely made "knockoff" if you have serious porousity or imbrittlement issues. Pothole or no pothole your riding on chance.

raz0rbladez909
06-30-2011, 07:38 AM
It comes down to quality control. You can have the best designed wheel in the world but if you material quaility control is sketchy your going to have problems.

People still look at this issue all wrong. You may get better wheel design and construction from authentic wheels vs. knockoff wheels but what really makes the difference is in the defect detection and quality assurance. A quality cast wheel should cost much more these "knockoff" ones on the market due to all the extra quality assurance that needs to be accounted for with the casting process. Forging rules out alot of those issues so you're naturally going to get a better product.

I like the guy that points out people touting used volks over new "knockoffs". At least you know what types of measures volk used 5-10 years ago as opposed to what assurance measures are forgone by current "knockoff" manufacturers....just stupid. It's not about money or haves or have nots, it's about quality of manufacture. This isn't rocket science. Who cares if you have a really nicely made "knockoff" if you have serious porousity or imbrittlement issues. Pothole or no pothole your riding on chance.

Well said, a set of quality used wheels will be a far better investment then buying a new lower end wheel. There is a reason they maintain their value, try to sell your sportmax or varrstoen's for close to what you paid and see how many offers you get. Fly by night companies come and go, the real innovators continue to stick around even with all these leaches in the industry.

revcyanide
06-30-2011, 08:02 AM
i just laugh at the whole "taking money out of JDM manufacturers hands and thats why they are going under"
when almost every single person in this thread has said they buy used works/rays/volks.

buy what you want, idc knock offs or not, your decision.
but dont be all high and mighty when you are doing nothing to support the industry you claim knock offs are killing. (imma go ahead and say in the rare case you replaced the bolts, centercaps etc, you still didnt support it all that much.)

STR8 H8N
06-30-2011, 08:18 AM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/arianaballa/totalledZ003.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5760/rim2.jpg

20 til 3
06-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Ya, who would buy wheels that can break, look at all of these cheap ass broken wheels

o wait, they are the spendy ones... IT HAPPENS TO ALL WHEELS RETARDS, there might be a lower standard in making wheels, but if you have shit breaking on you... sue the shit outta the company... but if you are running a 35-40 series tire on your wheels and you break them on big ass bumps, thats YOUR fault, go slower and dont hit potholes... even the spendy wheels break all the time, my buddy's Gram Lights randomly got a buncha cracks in them last weekend after a track day, he didnt even go off the track at all, they just couldn't hold the stress.

noone knows what they are talking about on here, there are inconsistency's in metals all the time that can create a weak wheel... its not just because of cheap company's... and i could continue to post pics like this all day, Volks, HRE's, everything breaks

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/sugaki/Misc/brokenmugen.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/pacampora/Crack_Rim2_2.jpg
http://www.source.dreamhosters.com/cf/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/skyline_broken_rim1.jpg
http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/attachments/f46/19937d1118609139-issues-hre-wheels-hrea.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6426/20101022161122793.jpg

HalveBlue
06-30-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm no engineer, but I would assume that the total structural failure of these wheels has more to do with a fault in the manufacturing process or the materials than the fact that the wheel hit a pothole.

A wheel hitting a pothole or curb should result in a bend, not the cracking/shearing like some of the wheels in this thread are showing.

I'm guessing most of these wheels are cast. Shearing like that is usually indicative of impurities in the metal, or not allowing the metal to cool properly after filling the mold.

I used to hate the TüV regulations for wheels here in Germany. But after seeing this thread I'm glad they have them.

I'd hate to imagine what would happen if something like this happened while cruising down the autobahn at 100+ mph.

EDIT: I bet a lot of these wheels were also experiencing tremendous amounts of lateral forces at some point, which would definitely increase the likelihood of structural failure.

Tantwoforty
06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
It has begun
The knockofff vs real debate.
Get your popcorn. It's gonna get bitchy up in here

madd ocx
06-30-2011, 11:14 AM
i just laugh at the whole "taking money out of JDM manufacturers hands and thats why they are going under"
when almost every single person in this thread has said they buy used works/rays/volks.

buy what you want, idc knock offs or not, your decision.
but dont be all high and mighty when you are doing nothing to support the industry you claim knock offs are killing. (imma go ahead and say in the rare case you replaced the bolts, centercaps etc, you still didnt support it all that much.)
Very true statement here. Most people troll forums looking for good deals and front like they are supporting the market.. you ain't supporting shit if you ain't buy it brand new or used from the manufacturer themselves.. like I said before that could happen to any wheel.. at least the manufacturer compensated him, I'm sure work, bbs, etc would not do the same..

silviaguy240
06-30-2011, 11:29 AM
i like supporting real companies, everything i ever bought for my 240 was name brand, but sometimes they are just too ridiculous.

i was gonna buy some varrstoen 1.1.2's for my bimmer since its a daily in 19x9.5 and 19x10.5 but they were out of stock in bmw bolt pattern. i was quoted $1100 shipped for the full set. guess what? i couldnt even buy ONE legit BBS LM for that price. theres no way in hell im going to spend $5000 on a set of wheels that i really dont need.

Yes BBS are forged, TUV approved and what not and that costs money i know, but that wheel has been around for so long theres no way in hell it should cost 1200+ A WHEEL. and its not even that light of a wheel, in 18x10 BBS LM's weigh 23.5lbs a wheel, guess what? an 18x10.5 TE37 weighs under 19lbs a wheel for $400 less a wheel.

Im all about supporting the companies and to keep them around, but they just take too much advantage of the name they have and charge way to much sometimes.

ayuaddict
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I have a simple question for everybody (who wants to answer).

I understand that people like being thrifty and choose to buy fake wheels, but why are these people so quick to defend their knockoffs? If I were to buy fake wheels, and was happy with them I would still be a little hesitant to proclaim that to the world.

Masturbation, we have all done it at least once (in the past hour), sexual intercourse, same basic concept, one is supposed to mimic the other. Would you guys be as adamant about masturbation as you are about fake wheels?

=
I'd rather wack off a couple times than have sex with a real woman, etc.

Have fun paying $1000 plus for 1 set of rims and I'll have fun paying $1000 for 2 or 3 sets of rims with tires with my nice hook up. Depending which xxr I pick up.
=
Have fun having sex with a real woman and I'll have fun jerking it 2 or 3 times with my nice hook up. Depending which fleshlight I pick up.

Gizmo_S13
06-30-2011, 11:52 AM
^ I didn't masturbate in the last hour, I was tempted! But I refused dammit!

I bet the majority of people rocking name brand wheels bought those shits used and quite frankly that's the way it is. I'm in the market looking for some Works or SSRs, am I going to buy them new? Fuck No!!! It's stupid expensive buying those wheels new but I do respect the R&D that went behind manufacturing those wheels this the reason I want to buy them. No, I don't like knockoffs and I do make fun of people rocking them but if they feel cool rocking those wheels then fuck it, that's what makes them happy.

HyperTek
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM

THAT IS REPAIRABLE , any good wheel shop can turn that back into a good wheel. Had that been a rota etc, it would have broke into pieces. Id say less then $200 for the repair.

Good day! :fawkd:

I have no problem with people who buy so and so replica brand.. I just find it wierd when people go out of their way to say things like "fck paying $$$$, I'll just keep buying blah blah"..

Wheels are an investment to some, and hold a little more appreciation value to the car.

Daniel.
06-30-2011, 12:10 PM
THAT IS REPAIRABLE , any good wheel shop can turn that back into a good wheel. Had that been a rota etc, it would have broke into pieces.

Good day! :fawkd:

Can they repair warped wheels too? (genuine question).

Even warped forged wheels?

Chrischeezer
06-30-2011, 12:19 PM
I oversteered over red and white track side, rear got air and smashed down with rota DriftWorks spec te37 fakes.
paint chipped and wheel was scuffed sprayed a new coat of satin black on the lip
new tire and balance...... Shit is GOOD!

DJDANGER24
06-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I oversteered over red and white track side, rear got air and smashed down with rota DriftWorks spec te37 fakes.
paint chipped and wheel was scuffed sprayed a new coat of satin black on the lip
new tire and balance...... Shit is GOOD!

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/08%20cool%20story%20bro.jpg

Wake
06-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Im surprised I havent said anything yet.

To all the people that talk shit on people for buying used real wheels:
Most people buy used versions of the wheels they would be buying new if they could afford it. Everyone likes to play the broke card. But the constant remains that people that buy real wheels usually end up buying parts/sticker/lips all sorts of things from the original manufacturer, and usually end up buying a new set of wheels from that same company or the like, down the line.
Therefore the "buying used wheels doesnt help the company" argument is moot. Because I know that since owning a set of used rays wheels I have talked to them at least 5 times and ordered about $350 in stuff for my wheels after the fact. I have numerous friends with used works/volks/SSR's that have spent hundreds of dollars as well.

How does spending money on the same wheels over and over justify them being cheap? why not just save the money to begin with and buy real wheels, instead of trying to buy your way into the newest fad.

nismolvr
06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Idk just how reliable the victim is.
It's not likely you'd be going uphill in 4th gear @ 25 mph, so I question if he's full of shit.
There's no pic of the said 'pot-hole' really more of a 'pit' if it's 2 foot deep (thought it was 2 foot 'wide' & was specifying maybe the diameter rather than depth)

I'm also not sure that the tires would be necessarily more thin (or stretched) than OEM.
I couldn't find any info that would suggest that to be the case.
It was likely already flat by the time the pics were taken.I agree with you.Driving in 4th gear uphill doing 25MPH is very unlikely ,his engine would of been struggling to stay in the powerband and bog down maybe even shut down. Second gear would of been a better choice if he was only doing 25MPH.Guy clearly doesnt know how to properly drive a stick and worse doesnt pay attention to road conditions , How else would anyone Drive their car into a 2ft wide pot hole? @ 25MPH? Negligence is rewarded once again .

KiLLeR2001
06-30-2011, 01:24 PM
You'll never see fake rims on any vehicle of mine. Guess you could say I have higher standards for the vehicles I drive. Would also explain why I only bang supermodels.

sidewaysil80
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Im surprised I havent said anything yet.

To all the people that talk shit on people for buying used real wheels:
Most people buy used versions of the wheels they would be buying new if they could afford it.
just like people that buy knockoff wheels would buy the real deal if they could afford it.

But the constant remains that people that buy real wheels usually end up buying parts/sticker/lips all sorts of things from the original manufacturer.
Therefore the "buying used wheels doesnt help the company" argument is moot. Because I know that since owning a set of used rays wheels I have talked to them at least 5 times and ordered about $350 in stuff for my wheels after the fact.
by that standard, you are the exact same as somone buying rotas and spending $350 through volk on lug nuts, stickers, center caps, and valvestems. How are they hurting the company?

How does spending money on the same wheels over and over justify them being cheap? why not just save the money to begin with and buy real wheels, instead of trying to buy your way into the newest fad.
i agree with you on this, buy what you can afford so to speak. but if you have to spend more on knock offs then the orginal would have cost...you need to evaluate your situation. I just hate when people say knock off's put companies out of business but every single authentic part on their car was bought used. unless you buy your shit brand new you are just as much of a problem.

now onto the issue at hand, regardless of how they broke or why they did it...the fact remains...that is some SERIOUS customer service considering they replaced his wheels for free. Personally, now that i don't have a dedicated "track" car anymore...i will not/do not purchase knock off aero/wheels and most of engine/suspension stuff is real deal and bought BRAND NEW.

Redstar
06-30-2011, 01:33 PM
http://tigzy.com/lj/popcorn.gif

enkei2k
06-30-2011, 01:39 PM
the thing with buying used real rims is, the original purchaser of said real rims actually did help the real company and did not support knock-off companies. The most important transaction is the first transaction between real manufacturer and customer. What does anything else afterwards matter?

wh0aitznic0
06-30-2011, 01:45 PM
^And that original owner who sold the wheels to the next isn't gonna go and use that money toward bRota's or Gaytoenn's, but instead another real set of wheels.

murda-c
06-30-2011, 01:58 PM
^And that original owner who sold the wheels to the next isn't gonna go and use that money toward bRota's or Gaytoenn's, but instead another real set of wheels.

How can a wheel be gay?

VROOOM
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
the thing with buying used real rims is, the original purchaser of said real rims actually did help the real company and did not support knock-off companies. The most important transaction is the first transaction between real manufacturer and customer. What does anything else afterwards matter?

nothing. buying used wheels doesnt help the real manufacturer or the knock off company. it only helps the consumer purchase parts they normally cant afford.

nismolvr
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
now onto the issue at hand, regardless of how they broke or why they did it...the fact remains...that is some SERIOUS customer service considering they replaced his wheels for free.
Hello! Thats what Im saying ! They replaced his wheels even tho his story didnt add up, and even if id did .Its the Customers fault for not paying attention to road conditions. I dont know of any wheel or aftermarket performance company that will replace purchased parts that were clearly damaged by customer negligence. So props to Varrstoen .

Do you think He would of complained if his wheels were Enkei, Volks,Rays ,BBS ? He only complained cause they were Copies and lied about his story. All the other Top Rim companies would of told him to take a hike.

Hell, will Garret give me a new Engine If Overboost the hell out of my engine and blow my shit up? Will HKS give me a new turbo if I dont run the vacuum lines correctly to BOV?

The guy is very lucky he got anything at all. Varrstoen Rocks . Id buy their Wheels just for that simple fact .They have great customer service , period. Any rim will break Copy or real .These are nice wheels , I dont buy shit for bragging rights.Oh "look at me I got real JDM racing wheels" lol. If i could afford them ,hell yeah.Im not hating but common, theres guys out there that get wood just by showing off how much their shit cost. I like Crystal Champagne but right now, Im drinking Budweiser.LOL

Id rock these wheels anyday of the week and still have money for my Budweiser.

This thread has turned into Knock off VS Real brand wheels. Everyone is overlooking the fact. The guy In the M3 got a new set of wheels for free , Even tho he didnt deserve it. End of story.

Now where did I leave my Beer?

enkei2k
06-30-2011, 02:48 PM
conspiracy theory - the reason why they gave him the rims for free was because he was planning on suing the shit out of them for more than what the wheels were worth...not saying that's the case, but i did hear somewhere that Varsstoen did contact the guy to tell him to hush up that's why he took the original image off his original post in his original forum (lol). Never believe what's said on the interwebs though.

sidewaysil80
06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
if me an you are both in the market for new wheels but neither can afford real wheels, you buy varstoen and i buy used volks...BOTH of us took money away from rays. regardless of your seller bought them new or varstoen bought an authentic set to copy...regardless ME OR YOU...the two consumers. BOTH took money away from volk.

thats playing the "what if" game, you can't prove that and you can't factor that...HOWEVER i agree with you, if i sold my wheels i wouldn't downgrade to a knock off set...but that might not always be the case. not too mention that argument gets wayyyy to complicated because you can't prove what the seller is going to spend his money on (i.e. debt, different parts, rent, w/e). but like i said...ideally you would be right.

i'm not trying to get into or start the knock off debate...just prove my point that knockoffs AND used parts sales both hurt a company equally. one is no better then the other. if your not baller and buying your shit retail...you have no right to say knockoffs hurt a company.

p.s. varstoen has impecable customer service for replacing the wheels. i still won't buy a set though :2c:

sw20>>s14
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
i think you guys are getting "customer service" and "PR efforts/cover up" painfully confused...

TheWolf
06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Guy drove his car through a 2' deep pot hole. Busted a rim. Move along here.

madd ocx
06-30-2011, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=enkei2k;4123955]the thing with buying used real rims is, the original purchaser of said real rims actually did help the real company and did not support knock-off companies. The most important transaction is the first transaction between real manufacturer and customer. What does anything else afterwards matter?[/QUOTE
Umm no.. you are not supporting no one but yourself.. the guy you bought them from supported them but not you my friend.. that money is going back in his pocket. And I don't care what little 350 you spend on little decals or bs after you bought your used wheels that shit don't matter.. your 300 don't add up to the 1000 per wheel they could have made if you weren't cheap. There is nothing wrong with buying used wheels but don't preach like your helping the manufactuer like you bought it new. And you know why people don't post up pics of expensive real wheels all messed up cause it wouldn't make a difference. The well known companies just say oh well would you like to buy a replacement, whereas a company on the come or knock off as you people call it are more frequently on the forums and yes don't want bad publicity but also are willing to help us out more. Funny how people talk all this shit but never buy dealer parts for their cars.. wtf is the difference?

DRFTWHORE
06-30-2011, 04:15 PM
everything in this world is a copy of another, ford was the first car ever made, so every car after that is a knockoff, cuz its a copy of the original? not everyone is going to pay 3k for wheels just because of its LOGO.

LimeLite Racing
06-30-2011, 04:18 PM
everything in this world is a copy of another, ford was the first car ever made, so every car after that is a knockoff, cuz its a copy of the original? not everyone is going to pay 3k for wheels just because of its LOGO.

I hear that.
I was in walgreens last week and bought some knockoff whitening strips. My teeth now blind people.

murda-c
06-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Umm no.. you are not supporting no one but yourself.. the guy you bought them from supported them but not you my friend.. that money is going back in his pocket. And I don't care what little 350 you spend on little decals or bs after you bought your used wheels that shit don't matter.. your 300 don't add up to the 1000 per wheel they could have made if you weren't cheap. There is nothing wrong with buying used wheels but don't preach like your helping the manufactuer like you bought it new. And you know why people don't post up pics of expensive real wheels all messed up cause it wouldn't make a difference. The well known companies just say oh well would you like to buy a replacement, whereas a company on the come or knock off as you people call it are more frequently on the forums and yes don't want bad publicity but also are willing to help us out more. Funny how people talk all this shit but never buy dealer parts for their cars.. wtf is the difference?

did you just disagree with someone making the same point as you?

tricky_ab
06-30-2011, 04:19 PM

:picardfp:

You're analogy is weak and I don't quite understand what you're getting at with the "logo" comment.

Matej
06-30-2011, 04:41 PM
My favourite thing about these wheels is how azndoc or some other fellow with TE37's was making fun of people's VS-KF's in some thread somewhere because they resemble Mustang wheels, and then Varrstoens came out. :)

Gizmo_S13
06-30-2011, 04:50 PM
did you just disagree with someone making the same point as you?

No, he said that it doesn't matter if you buy used legit wheels because you're not buying from the company that originally manufactured them. The company still loses money because you didn't buy at retail price.

soreballz
06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
varrstoen has some pretty hot wheels lol i was checking out there website
idk if i would really call these fake, sure they are no work, volk, bbs ect..
but i would take these over a set of xxr's
is a nissan a fake car because its cheaper than a lambo?
why all the hate on this company...
Are you completely retarded, or just a little bit retarded?

Varrstoens are FAKE because they are COPIES of REAL wheels from Volk and BBS.

BoostSlideWayz
06-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Kinda think its stupid when people immediately assume the wheel is cheap quality when its cheaper than the name brand.. i mean yes this is a cheap wheel but unless you were in the car with him then you dont know how fast he was going... but not all wheels are bad quality just because the price is lower.... I would WAYYY rather spend 500 bucks on wheels than 3k because wheels are soo close to the pavement and might rub on curbs or even be stolen. even if you buy the lug nuts that take a special type socket other people can have em.. its just i dont believe wheels are worth 3k or even 1k for that matter.

ManoNegra
06-30-2011, 05:35 PM
i think you guys are getting "customer service" and "PR efforts/cover up" painfully confused...

companies replacing shit products promptly no questions asked ISN'T costumer service.

companies evaluating products, recalling defective product, studying failures and improving product IS

sw20>>s14
06-30-2011, 06:09 PM
companies replacing shit products promptly no questions asked ISN'T costumer service.

companies evaluating products, recalling defective product, studying failures and improving product IS

exactly my point...people are praising them and boosting their stock with this "customer service" talk...couldnt be more far from it...

HyperTek
06-30-2011, 08:02 PM
accident to gram lights
much harder impact then that sissy lil pot hole *look it broke suspension!!

http://i56.tinypic.com/21cdzdz.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/v8ph92.jpg

Repaired and balanced to see another day *as here sitting on my old s13
curbage repair would have been extra..
http://i51.tinypic.com/fo385u.jpg

Those fakes would have broke hands down.. But most fakes are cast made.. the real deals would be forged.

All those people who try to say "big deal, real ones break too!" .. no, real ones hold up alot better. Everything in this world breaks.

Forged multi piece piece wheel will hold up alot better then a 1 piece cast wheel.

Im pretty sure 1 piece cast wheels like fn01rc, rpf1 etc would break as well.. but in this situation the bmw owner had replica 1 piece wheels of a bbs multipiece wheel.

Walperstyle
06-30-2011, 08:19 PM
I have a slight bend in my Nismo LMGT4 due to a pot hole attack. Its fixable though being its very small bend. Tire does not loose air.

Wheels are wheels, but yeah, I wouln't buy a knockoff, unless thats where the JDM company outsourced. (aka, BC, HDS and Stance coilovers are all made in Tiawan)

jamg
06-30-2011, 08:26 PM
I have a slight bend in my Nismo LMGT4 due to a pot hole attack. Its fixable though being its very small bend. Tire does not loose air.

Wheels are wheels, but yeah, I wouln't buy a knockoff, unless thats where the JDM company outsourced. (aka, BC, HDS and Stance coilovers are all made in Tiawan)
i would buy things from taiwan, and not from china when it comes to some things.

same goes for coils. i have a set from taiwan, and they were HEAPS upon HEAPS better than ISIS ones. and they were $200 cheaper.

hOngsterr
06-30-2011, 08:49 PM
no originality.

MY350Z.COM Forums - View Single Post - Funniest thing I've seen in awhile- Varrstoen vs. Enkei (http://my350z.com/forum/9230824-post7.html)

madd ocx
06-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Just because a company uses the same design doesn't mean its fake.. that means every company that followed the n1 style exhaust from apexi is fake too? Nissan vvl is fake compared to v-tec? Whoever made the first short shifter the next company that followed suit is fake?enthalpy came out with the same product as jim wolf, fake too? Fake is when you take a product and replicate it and sell it as the same product, name and all, decieving people. Like the owner of the BMW putting that bbs logo on his wheels and putting up for sale as such, that's fake.. or emance posing as enthalpy when he first came out to get buyers, that's fake..

cured13
06-30-2011, 09:17 PM
no originality.

MY350Z.COM Forums - View Single Post - Funniest thing I've seen in awhile- Varrstoen vs. Enkei (http://my350z.com/forum/9230824-post7.html)

Holly, ha ha

:down:BUSTED!

Now, this actually scares me even more.
:bite:

Sumslapper
06-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Im pretty sure he was talking about Varrstoen copying Enkei's description about their products. It doesn't matter though, people will continue to buy knockoff shit and companies will continue to steal each other's designs and now apparently steal company descriptions. Tragic comedy.

EsChassisLove
06-30-2011, 09:50 PM
My Rotas have taken beatings upon beatings between San Diego and WA. on 35 series sidewall tires.

Still good. Curbed a bit, but good.

Buy what you want. Real or fake who cares. Your car, your money, your life.

If Works CR-KAI concaved as much as these Rota Torques do, I woulda bought them instead. Crazy....I bought a wheel solely on what it looked like. O.o

Silvette
06-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Just because a company uses the same design doesn't mean its fake.. that means every company that followed the n1 style exhaust from apexi is fake too? Nissan vvl is fake compared to v-tec? Whoever made the first short shifter the next company that followed suit is fake?enthalpy came out with the same product as jim wolf, fake too? Fake is when you take a product and replicate it and sell it as the same product, name and all, decieving people. Like the owner of the BMW putting that bbs logo on his wheels and putting up for sale as such, that's fake.. or emance posing as enthalpy when he first came out to get buyers, that's fake..

Put is this way, you plagiarize a school paper, would the teacher not automatically fail you? Same concept. Volk/etc etc spend tons of money to R&D their design, when a company just copies it with no R&D while using cheaper material. It's not only unsafe but completely steals xxxx amount of dollars from Volks for all their R&D.

Here's a write up from skunk2 regarding HKS USA

When HKS announced late last month that it would be closing its U.S. facility for good, there was an odd silence here at Skunk2. No doubt, the news caused many to stop and reevaluate the state of the industry. Some blame HKS U.S.A’s closing on slow Japanese and American economies; others say it’s because of a lack of demand for performance parts, unfavorable exchange rates, even last March’s catastrophic earthquake in Japan. It’s true—all of these are likely contributing factors.There’s an elephant in the room that many refuse to acknowledge though—copycat parts. Knockoff companies that thrive on stealing product designs, company logos, and packaging do little more than hurt the companies that bring consumers new, innovative, and proven parts and technology. The amount of knock-off HKS parts available to U.S. consumers is staggering and surely hasn’t helped HKS U.S.A.’s growth or ability to remain in business.

The more consumers support the copycats, the less chance there is of companies that are capable of proper engineering, design, and R&D being able to exist. And when those companies fail to exist, it’s only a matter of time before the copycats fail as well. HKS Japan will remain in business and says it will continue to service its U.S. customers from overseas. Service will likely be slower, customer service claims will be challenging, and parts will probably be more expensive. Parts development for U.S.-based vehicles will also decline. More knockoff companies will likely begin to fill the void, but are you willing to put your engine, your car, or your safety in the hands of the faceless copycats? HKS is the first in a long line of reputable companies that have been affected by unscrupulous knockoffs. What will you do to make sure that what happened to HKS doesn’t happen to your favorite company?

So yeah, Hope you guys are enjoying those Rotas / VarSTOLENS. Your personally contributing to knocking out Rays and Advan wheel products in the US probably sooner than later. Enjoy your fakeness

this is also a great read THE REAL JDM (http://www.bespokeventures.com/blog/?s=fake+parts)

tqstarburst
06-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Who gives a fuck about the paper,it's not the same shit compared to this. To the jackass that posted this without being him whom happened to,you're an idiot. There is no such thing as FAKE,everything is REAL with the same design minus the logo of the company. It's like saying fuck 9k racing because all the shit he makes is fake? and im sure many of you have bought from or asked him to replicate something that is no longer in production.

singlecamslam
06-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Alright i'm gonna admit that i didnt read all the pages and this might be a stupid question. But wouldnt cheaper wheels maybe be better for an impact say like a curb? A fake rim would just break, a real rim wouldnt thus all that energy would get transferred to the suspension.

I honestly rather replace one crappy fake wheel than all my suspension, this is just an opion though, i could be 100% wrong, carry on.

nomoremk2
06-30-2011, 11:42 PM
I can't believe everyone gets so worked up over this. It's your money, buy what you wanna buy. The majority of the time, "you get what you pay for" holds true. I just can't believe some guy has a wheel crack on him and the whole world stops spinning. I personally don't believe this guy was going 25 and the pothole wasn't a massive one. Someone earlier stated that it's YOUR job to avoid those holes, even little ones. If you have rubber bands for tires and stiff suspension, don't go flying over potholes. The whole jdm market argument is so old. Regardless of what you want people to think they're going to buy what they want. If that's taking money out of "real" companies pockets than so be it. Most people don't even read into it far enough to care about that. You can't stop it so why complain? These companies are going to continue to flourish. These guys for example offer a bbs look without the bbs price tag. ALOT of people are going to jump all over that obviously. There will always always always be a HUGE market for these "knockoff" companies. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. Everyone wants to play and almost no one has the finances to do it the right way. I'm sure if more people on zilvia had 60k plus a year salaries you'd see more quality builds and guys scoffing at the thought of running Sportmaxx. That's just not how it is though.

irax
06-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Those fakes would have broke hands down.. But most fakes are cast made.. the real deals would be forged.

Im pretty sure 1 piece cast wheels like fn01rc, rpf1 etc would break as well.. but in this situation the bmw owner had replica 1 piece wheels of a bbs multipiece wheel.

"legit" companies make cast wheels too, and if we could of replicated the conditions to at least 70% accuracy, we would easily prove that any "legit" cast wheel would of failed, I would bet everything I own, and everything I will eventually own on that.

like i said before, the fact that the wheel was a copy had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT IT FAILED, NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING TO DO WITH WHY IT FAILED

oramos23
06-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Thats what happens when you fake the funk!

usdm180sx
07-01-2011, 12:00 AM
"legit" companies make cast wheels too, and if we could of replicated the conditions to at least 70% accuracy, we would easily prove that any "legit" cast wheel would of failed, I would bet everything I own, and everything I will eventually own on that.

like i said before, the fact that the wheel was a copy had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT IT FAILED, NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING TO DO WITH WHY IT FAILED

This is America, the land of opportunity and the free market. Companies with profit in mind will make imitations of top notch products. That's the way it is. But imitations and knockoffs do not have the same quality as the real deal so your statement is wrong. It is very possible that knockoff wheels will fail more so than the real deal products that have extensive R and D.

codyace
07-01-2011, 12:02 AM
'good enough'

*sigh*

bluevelvet
07-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Im going to just Knock Off of Varrestoen... and sell them for 2/3 the price.. :D i dont care who rolls over on the FWy because they cracked and the tire blew off... or who drove on their rotors after the wheels FAILED on the driver and shattered.. or even if you just store them for ever.. ill still make my $$$$$$

upsdude
07-01-2011, 12:05 AM
rims of any brand and size are all knock-offs of the original stone wheel made by the caveman. so we're all guilty :rolleyes:

ManoNegra
07-01-2011, 12:06 AM
I love threads like these
makes it easy to identify the cheap asses and idiots
so as to avoid them

oramos23
07-01-2011, 12:07 AM
rims of any brand and size are all knock-offs of the original stone wheel made by the caveman. so we're all guilty :rolleyes:

Lmfao! Hahaha

irax
07-01-2011, 12:29 AM
This is America, the land of opportunity and the free market. Companies with profit in mind will make imitations of top notch products. That's the way it is. But imitations and knockoffs do not have the same quality as the real deal so your statement is wrong. It is very possible that knockoff wheels will fail more so than the real deal products that have extensive R and D.

Do you understand what it takes to create 4 inch pot hole? No? Well basically it takes underground erosion to weaken that spot. Now lets say that it has weaken so much that the very next car that will it it, it will drop out under it and expand by 600%. Number of Impacts x force x velocity = wheel failure.

tricky_ab
07-01-2011, 12:38 AM
I love threads like these
makes it easy to identify the cheap asses and idiots
so as to avoid them

Yeah that's for sure...

HyperTek
07-01-2011, 02:27 AM
The topic of fake/knock off always seems to offend some people.. relax and chill, its just cars. =p

Walperstyle
07-01-2011, 02:41 AM
i would buy things from taiwan, and not from china when it comes to some things.

same goes for coils. i have a set from taiwan, and they were HEAPS upon HEAPS better than ISIS ones. and they were $200 cheaper.

When it comes to anything with structure, you have to find out where the metal is getting refined at. Quality control can fail anywhere. Its like the Korean cars running Japanese engines, etc. Asia business outsources just as much as US. Its all about making a profit, while not making a crappy product. So far 'stance' seems to be ok. But even though I have some GR Pro SSD's, in 5 years, perhaps all of them will fail... remains to be seen.

bb4_96
07-01-2011, 05:18 AM
It's like a damn moronathon every time this comes up in a thread. It isn't years of R&D that makes a wheel a good wheel although it may make a better thought out wheel(there are only so many fucking ways to skin a cat). I think new and innovative wheel design for the most part has been exhausted from a performance perspective. It isn't expensive purchase price that makes a wheel a good wheel. Sure I can take a dump in a box and call it a brake pad... It isn't a well established name that makes a wheel a good wheel. Some companies sell products of marginal quality for decades with good success.

None of that shit matters

All that matters is what the company does to make sure their product doesn't fail under normal use after it has been made. Do any of you have any fucking idea how much capital(money) is tied up in cast aluminum integrity assurance? The forging process? The finishing processes? Heat treating? So yes it's much fucking cheaper to cast a wheel in a pre-developed design, check dimensions, paint, and put the fucker in a box.

This isn't about stolen designs and r&d this is about what the wheel manufacturer does after the wheel is made to make sure when hit a pothole you dont cross lanes, and collide with a fucking semi truck.

Ask me if I want the manufacturer to send me a new set of wheels after i get out of traction.

codyace
07-01-2011, 07:58 AM
I
This isn't about stolen designs and r&d this is about what the wheel manufacturer does after the wheel is made to make sure when hit a pothole you dont cross lanes, and collide with a fucking semi truck.

Well said.

However this is 240 land, where the majority of owners have a hard time living on their own, and can't even afford basic maintenence. On the other hand, it's also 'new America' where people are so damn concerned with fitting in/looking cool that they do desperate things to accommodate that need.

With that said, this has cause the overwhelming 'good enough' movement with parts (really I guess this applies to anything in life). People are willing to 'live' with cheaper shit, in order to look cool or 'have it'. Why?

People are broke and can't afford good stuff
People are impatient and want whatever they can have now
People are confused by FFF (forumfuckfaces) and Folklore, and
People generally don't care (or maybe care to know)

Those factors just really ruin everything. No body thinks about that cheap rod end busting/wheel breaking/brakes not stopping at high speed, the car going out of control, and potential death resulting from an accident -- all they think about is the street cred.

raz0rbladez909
07-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Meh I don't care anymore, people who want to run cheaper stuff will continue to do so whether you like it or not, and at the end of the day how their car turns out will reflect the time/money/effort that was put in to it. In fact seeing more POS's on the road makes me appreciate the nice ones even more.

murda-c
07-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Guys, all that matters is how fast your car is.

Duh.

CrimsonRockett
07-01-2011, 10:04 AM
These threads are never-ending as always.

If you want to run knock offs (err, lower quality products), go for it.

If you want to run legit (err, higher quality products), go for it.

At the end of the day, it's your money. Spend it whatever way you'd like.