PDA

View Full Version : Chase Bays Power Steering Kit

Chase Bays
06-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Introducing our Power Steering Kit. Aluminum Reservoir and full replacement AN fittings and line.

Please view our site for more info:

Chase Bays Power Steering Kit - Nissan 240sx w/ KA|SR|RB - Nissan 240sx - ChaseBays.com (http://www.chasebays.com/product/nissan-240sx/chase-bays-products/chase-bays-power-steering-kit--nissan-240sx-w-kasrrb)

http://www.chasebays.com/content/products/830/main.jpg

http://www.chasebays.com/content/products/830/images/DSC_8054.JPG

Optional Power Steering Cooler for +$100

There is two ways to mount this. Zipties, or on the PS cooler there is a spot where you can slide in square headed bolts in and bolt it to your chassis (drilling required)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5262271139_db42139d79_z.jpg

Also provided is a link to the install guide
http://www.chasebays.com/content/downloads/CB 240sx PS Kit Install Guide.pdf.zip

Thanks for viewing!

Chase Bays
06-20-2011, 01:03 PM
NEVER USE TEFLON TAPE ON ANY POWER STEERING CONNECTION

Let me elaborate on how exactly to bleed your system.

First of all double, and triple check that everything is tight. Loose connections might not leak but could allow air into the system. Do not over tighten o-ring hoses as the o-ring might be crushed.

Step 1: switch ignition OFF

Step 2: raise front wheels off ground (or all 4)

Step 3: turn steering wheel full left

Step 4:fill fluid resevoir to full cold mark.

Step 5: turn steering lock to lock at least 20 times, up to 40 times. If you're using our cooler it may be in excess of 40 times. DO NOT turn the wheel fast, slow is better for the bleeding process and it could likely cause fluid overflow.

Step 6: while turning wheel, check fluid level, a 2nd person is almost required. If you see any signs of bubbles/foaming, recheck all connections for leaks then repeat the steps above.

Step 7: NOW we start the engine. If fluid foams while cranking, wait 10 minutes or more until dispersed air has time to accumulate and purge through the reservoir.

Step 8: Return wheels to center and lower car.

Step 9: run engine at 2000 rpm for two minutes.

Step 10: turn wheel in both directions and check for smoothness and quiet operation.

vas570sx
06-20-2011, 01:04 PM
wow, that is really nice! bump for you guys!!

s14unimog
06-20-2011, 01:29 PM
so what did you revise on THIS kit? I'm definitely interested.

Any shots of the reservoir baffling?

Chase Bays
06-20-2011, 01:44 PM
We took out the COPPER crush washers on the STEERING RACK FITTINGS ONLY they were causing the O-ring fittings to not get a proper seal. The PUMP fitting still needs the crush washer/o-ring as its always been. Replaced one AN fitting with a 90 deg fitting on the reservoir and gave detailed instructions on how to properly bleed the power steering pump.

The reservoirs were changed too, pictures in a few

yabeet
06-20-2011, 03:21 PM
People who have the crush washers, should we cut them off before installing?

PIN GIO 2
06-20-2011, 03:25 PM
I have small leak AN fitting with a 90 deg fitting on the reservoir. i did not use teflon tape and tighen less than 15 lbs. so help me solve it issue

Chase Bays
06-20-2011, 03:38 PM
I have small leak AN fitting with a 90 deg fitting on the reservoir. i did not use teflon tape and tighen less than 15 lbs. so help me solve it issue

Email us or give us a call.

NickIsAZero
06-20-2011, 03:42 PM
so what did you revise on THIS kit? I'm definitely interested.

Any shots of the reservoir baffling?

Taken from the website:

Features: Aluminum Baffled Reservoir with -6AN and -10AN Outlets

FAQ: Is this can baffled?
No, both outlets are on the bottom of the can, eliminating the need for a baffle.

Chase Bays
06-20-2011, 03:43 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2619/5854602050_4e4329f605_z.jpg

Chase Bays
06-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Taken from the website:

No, both outlets are on the bottom of the can, eliminating the need for a baffle.

OOPS, thanks for the heads up. We recently went in and modified that. Fixed now

speedgod^s13
06-20-2011, 07:43 PM
So, are the lines black, or silver? In the first picture, there is a silver line, but in the install picture, they are all black.

h815 240sx
06-20-2011, 07:47 PM
high pressure is silver, low pressure and ps reservoir to pump are black

chiboy002
06-20-2011, 08:45 PM
So, are the lines black, or silver? In the first picture, there is a silver line, but in the install picture, they are all black.
that picture wtih all black lines is also from the old set up. different reservoir

speedgod^s13
06-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the fast replies, i'll be picking up one of these kits in the future. First kit kind of had bad reviews. It sounds like the kinks have been worked out though.

Exas Spec D
06-21-2011, 09:01 AM
I will purchase. Would this work on a VH45DE swapped S13? Should be the same right?

NismoTuner21
06-21-2011, 09:05 AM
I really want to get this for my 1JZ Z32 swap, just gotta make sure S-chassis racks and Z32 racks have the same size bolt/thread pitch.

Chase Bays
06-21-2011, 03:33 PM
All Pm's Sent!!
Bump to the Top!!

Chase Bays
06-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Bump to the Top!!

s14unimog
06-27-2011, 11:50 AM
(reservoir picture)

Thanks! I'll be ordering a kit once I get my tubs finished. Free Bump!

Taken from the website:

Funny guy! :down: Why do you think I capitalized "THIS"?

Chase Bays
06-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Morning Bump to the Top!!

Chase Bays
06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
All Pm's Sent!!
Bump to the Top!!

mdlesk
07-06-2011, 11:17 AM

I have the same problem. Chase Bays advised me to remove the crush washers on the rack for those leaks, but never suggested anything regarding the large fitting at the reservoir.

Rally240sx.com
07-06-2011, 12:46 PM
mine leaks alittle from the res, and I cant get the pump to stop whining :(

jdm2191
07-06-2011, 03:55 PM
How shipped for a S13 w/ 1JZ shipped to 92551?

PIN GIO 2
07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
I have the same problem. Chase Bays advised me to remove the crush washers on the rack for those leaks, but never suggested anything regarding the large fitting at the reservoir.

mine leaks alittle from the res, and I cant get the pump to stop whining :(

do you guys have problem with idle when turn right or left will make engine go almost dead and whining?

Chase Bays
07-06-2011, 05:35 PM
If you guys are having issues please call us or email! Don't just complain about it! We're here to help.

do you guys have problem with idle when turn right or left will make engine go almost dead and whining?

This is related to the power steering sensor that gets deleted like on our kit and ISIS's, Sikky, any other high pressure hose replacement thats out there. Its there to raise idle if turning left to right while parked, but I find it annoying. Also, theres no need to turn your wheel left to right when idling ;)

PIN GIO 2
07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
If you guys are having issues please call us or email! Don't just complain about it! We're here to help.

This is related to the power steering sensor that gets deleted like on our kit and ISIS's, Sikky, any other high pressure hose replacement thats out there. Its there to raise idle if turning left to right while parked, but I find it annoying. Also, theres no need to turn your wheel left to right when idling ;)

I know ps sensor deleted, it didn't to raise idle.. it go down like dead engine... sometime when i turn wheel left or right then my engine went to dead then i have to engine start. Before installed, there no problem... could be this kit or else?...

Chase Bays
07-07-2011, 10:24 AM
The power steering pump of course uses the engines drive belt and like an AC compressor it's going to put "load" on the engine. You might also notice on your other cars (usually 10+ year old ones) when you turn your headlights on, crank the radio up, anything that puts load on the electrical system and/or engine...the idle will drop and/or lights will become slightly dim.

There is a few things that can cause this. Your IACV/AAC is supposed to regulate your idle to compensate but sometimes it can't fight with our weathered components. The first thing is going to be the alternator. Depending on your engine the alternator amp rating is 70 to 135+ amps. You want 100+ amps. Every decent sized city has a shop that can repair and rebuild an alternator or at least test it. Those auto parts store replacement alternators are awful so beware.

Equally important is replacing your battery/alternator/fusebox power wires & grounds. Stock they're usually 10 or 8 gauge which is sufficient depending on your starter and alternator amp ratings but the wires are OLD. I recommend 6-8 gauge for alternator and 0-4 gauge for starter. Engine/Trans ground's 8 gauge and Battery Ground 0-4 gauge.

These items from us will help you:

CUSTOM LENGTH Battery Cable's

Electronics/Wiring - ChaseBays.com (http://www.chasebays.com/products/universal/electronicswiring/page-2)

Chase Bays Engine Ground Kit

Chase Bays Engine Ground Kit - Nissan 240sx - ChaseBays.com (http://www.chasebays.com/product/nissan-240sx/electronicswiring/chase-bays-engine-ground-kit)

hotkarl
07-19-2011, 05:52 AM
So I can buy a full ls1/s13 ps line setup from you guys?

Chase Bays
07-19-2011, 12:28 PM
of course,

order on the site or give us a call

Chase Bays Power Steering Kit - Nissan 240sx w/ LSx - Nissan 240sx - ChaseBays.com (http://www.chasebays.com/product/nissan-240sx/chase-bays-products/chase-bays-power-steering-kit--nissan-240sx-w-lsx)

skyline331
07-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Really nice kit and p/s cooler.

hellion240sx
09-03-2011, 01:28 PM
put this in the other thread, before I saw this... obviously...

questions:
1. Wouldn't an aluminum reservior get hot?
2. All parts in stock, and will ship together?
3. new designed reservoir correct?
4. New lines right?
5. This deletes the p/s sensor? is that a stressor on the car or system? In terms of breaking something else?
6. also trying to decide if I should get the cooler as well since I never had it before, why should I need it now?
I was looking at the power steering kit for the KA, Mine just started leaking a week or two after I detailed the engine for 3+ hours GGGRRrrrrr... I have been looking through threads on this kit/company. Seems like little issues here and there. Hoping these are all worked out. Thanks. just for info car is 97 kouki with 88.6K on it :) all stock except inner/outer tie rods.

Chase Bays
09-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah we had a couple issues, I guess its to be expected when you're doing something no other company has :)

The issues were promptly fixed! And the kit is flawless now.

Now for the questions:

1. Wouldn't an aluminum reservior get hot? It gets heated, not enough heat to do harm or change performance under normal conditions. Doesn't your engine get hot? Our reservoir has a tiny pinhole on the cap, and is a cooler in itself

2. All parts in stock, and will ship together? Correct. Everything is currently in stock ready to ship.

3. new designed reservoir correct? Correct. Its simply extraordinary. Theres a lot of R&D in this piece!

4. New lines right? We wouldn't do it any other way

5. This deletes the p/s sensor? is that a stressor on the car or system? In terms of breaking something else? Not at all. Actually, most of the power steering sensors on your cars are no longer working. The sensor just changes your idle 50 to 100 rpms up while steering at idle.

6. also trying to decide if I should get the cooler as well since I never had it before, why should I need it now? 90% of our customers do not purchase the cooler with the kit. I would recommend it for a road race or drift car that will be out on the hot pavement for extended periods of time. With drifting, its usually fairly short runs and by the time it would get heated enough to hinder performance you're headed to the pits.

Hope these answered your questions. Let me know if not!

put this in the other thread, before I saw this... obviously...

questions:
1. Wouldn't an aluminum reservior get hot?
2. All parts in stock, and will ship together?
3. new designed reservoir correct?
4. New lines right?
5. This deletes the p/s sensor? is that a stressor on the car or system? In terms of breaking something else?
6. also trying to decide if I should get the cooler as well since I never had it before, why should I need it now?
I was looking at the power steering kit for the KA, Mine just started leaking a week or two after I detailed the engine for 3+ hours GGGRRrrrrr... I have been looking through threads on this kit/company. Seems like little issues here and there. Hoping these are all worked out. Thanks. just for info car is 97 kouki with 88.6K on it :) all stock except inner/outer tie rods.

skyline331
09-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Sent you a private message. Get back to me please.

Relentless240
09-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Can i still keep the stock resevoir location without having issues with the lines. Got sr20 in s14

cjmirabal1
09-09-2011, 04:58 AM
I have a ca18det in a sohc s13. Been needing ka or sr dohc lines to have ps. Will this kit work?
Which one will work on my set up, sr or ka?

Chase Bays
09-09-2011, 09:44 AM
@ Relentless240 - You can still keep the stock location or use the one that we used on our 240 either or.

@cjmirabal1 - You will need our CB-N-PSK4 kit

If you have any questions or need anything else let me know.
Thanks,
-Logan

[email protected]
205-623-2188 ext.1
Add us on Facebook
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More (http://www.facebook.com/chasebayspage)

caglej
09-12-2011, 06:04 PM
So if I purchased a kit with the older parts, will you swap them out if I send you the cores?

yodc
09-12-2011, 10:08 PM
So if I purchased a kit with the older parts, will you swap them out if I send you the cores?

x2

The newer ps tank is MUCH nicer!

hellion240sx
09-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Yeah we had a couple issues, I guess its to be expected when you're doing something no other company has :)

The issues were promptly fixed! And the kit is flawless now.

Now for the questions:

1. Wouldn't an aluminum reservior get hot? It gets heated, not enough heat to do harm or change performance under normal conditions. Doesn't your engine get hot? Our reservoir has a tiny pinhole on the cap, and is a cooler in itself

2. All parts in stock, and will ship together? Correct. Everything is currently in stock ready to ship.

3. new designed reservoir correct? Correct. Its simply extraordinary. Theres a lot of R&D in this piece!

4. New lines right? We wouldn't do it any other way

5. This deletes the p/s sensor? is that a stressor on the car or system? In terms of breaking something else? Not at all. Actually, most of the power steering sensors on your cars are no longer working. The sensor just changes your idle 50 to 100 rpms up while steering at idle.

6. also trying to decide if I should get the cooler as well since I never had it before, why should I need it now? 90% of our customers do not purchase the cooler with the kit. I would recommend it for a road race or drift car that will be out on the hot pavement for extended periods of time. With drifting, its usually fairly short runs and by the time it would get heated enough to hinder performance you're headed to the pits.

Hope these answered your questions. Let me know if not!

Yes that answered all of my questions. got some new ones though.

1. yes my engine gets hot, but since the aluminum reservior is, well, aluminum, shouldn't it get hotter than the stock one? And It's my DD so if anything spirited driving will be it. Just trying to figure it out.

2. how is the install? unscrew this, that, and this, drain here, Then

3. with the pinhole in the cap, does it leak out from there?

4. "Also, theres no need to turn your wheel left to right when idling " I find myslef noticing when I do turn the wheel when dling more now than ever before thanks to this comment. Like when I am pulling out of a tight spot, or parallel parking, getting out of a driveway. should I give it gas when it's struggling lol?

5. And the copper washer is gone now correct? that was the part that was causing the leaking in the earlier version correct?

hellion240sx
09-16-2011, 10:28 PM
? :) just waiting still.

s14unimog
09-17-2011, 11:42 AM
^or just call them...

hellion240sx
09-17-2011, 02:12 PM
closed... :/ called today. besides I would rathe rhave them answer here in case anyone else is wondeering the same thing about the product. HOPEFULLY they will use the search button

idahotuner
09-19-2011, 03:38 AM
How much for the kit minus the high pressure line s13 and s13 sr

Chase Bays
09-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Depends, our 4th re-design of the reservoir had the issues. Send us an email with which one you have to verify.

[email protected]

Yes that answered all of my questions. got some new ones though.

1. yes my engine gets hot, but since the aluminum reservior is, well, aluminum, shouldn't it get hotter than the stock one? And It's my DD so if anything spirited driving will be it. Just trying to figure it out.

2. how is the install? unscrew this, that, and this, drain here, Then

3. with the pinhole in the cap, does it leak out from there?

4. "Also, theres no need to turn your wheel left to right when idling " I find myslef noticing when I do turn the wheel when dling more now than ever before thanks to this comment. Like when I am pulling out of a tight spot, or parallel parking, getting out of a driveway. should I give it gas when it's struggling lol?

5. And the copper washer is gone now correct? that was the part that was causing the leaking in the earlier version correct?

1. You have nothing to worry about as far as heat. NASCAR uses Aluminum Power Steering Reservoirs.

2. http://www.chasebays.com/content/downloads/ChaseBays240sxPSKitInstallGuide.pdf
(http://www.chasebays.com/content/downloads/Chase%20Bays%20240sx%20PS%20Kit%20Install%20Guide. pdf)

3. This is answered earlier in the thread, the reservoir has internal baffles. No leaks from this.

4. I think you looked too deep into that. I was meaning as if you were sitting at a stop light turning left and right because you were bored. Sorry for being unclear. Your car will NOT die, and you won't have to worry about this at all. Unless you have some electrical problems, as stated earlier in the thread. But you would already be experiencing issues if so.

5. In some cases it was. We just changed the fitting on the low pressure side to a straight cut instead of o-ring.

Chase Bays
09-19-2011, 05:12 PM
How much for the kit minus the high pressure line s13 and s13 sr

-$69.99 Call us or email to place an order for this.

hellion240sx
09-27-2011, 10:27 AM
called and reached vm. But How do you know when it's the pump/reservoir/ or lines? I found the leak. Little bit from the reservoir, but the dripping is coming from the back of the pimp. Not sure if it's the pump itself or the hose itself.. Also I have more lines than in the directions. Are yall missing some lines? My car is a stock s14 ka. Is the pictured directions for another engine s13 sr? s13 ka? etc.

last questions I swear. haha. for now...

s14unimog
09-27-2011, 11:53 AM
^Geez dude...lol

hellion240sx
09-27-2011, 01:44 PM
i know man i know. I tend to over think things.... besides I'm testing there customer service or their nerves lol.

but think of it this way. if someone else has the same questions their covered :)

Chase Bays
09-30-2011, 10:45 AM
called and reached vm. But How do you know when it's the pump/reservoir/ or lines? I found the leak. Little bit from the reservoir, but the dripping is coming from the back of the pimp. Not sure if it's the pump itself or the hose itself.. Also I have more lines than in the directions. Are yall missing some lines? My car is a stock s14 ka. Is the pictured directions for another engine s13 sr? s13 ka? etc.

last questions I swear. haha. for now...

If you called when we were closed you have to leave a VM :)

Im not sure what you're asking. Did you order our kit and you're saying you received more lines than in the instructions?

Just know you will get a much faster response via email or phone (during biz hours) We try to check this everyday but sometimes there just aren't enough hours

CleanAndLegit
11-05-2011, 12:10 AM
how much for long black line with an fittings, and new cap? line broke on install

eli-s13
11-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Got the kit with the cooler came in the mail last week top notch product. I wondering if u had any suggestions on how to mount the cooler though? Thanx

s14unimog
11-05-2011, 11:56 AM
A picture for ya. I ditched the stainless bracket deal and fabricated this mount for a factory location mounting. I also took about 6" out of the low pressure return and the feed line was perfect length to wrap around and under my hotpipe. Still doing my mockup so nothing's painted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/s14unimog/PSmounting-10-8-11001.jpg

reallygood101
11-05-2011, 12:19 PM
got mine and it looks so good cant wait to install it, just got to get a new pump and ill b set, and also thanx for the fast shipping and awesome customer service

qwikspool
11-05-2011, 12:38 PM
how much for the powering steering kit for a 1991 240sx ka24de shipped to 23503
thanks

eli-s13
11-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Need suggestions on how to mount the cooler.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp90/EjR22/IMG_20111105_110316.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp90/EjR22/IMG_20111105_110324.jpg

s14unimog
11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
the picture wasn't for you. But for the cooler why not slide a hex head cap screw down the slot there?

Drftr915
11-07-2011, 04:23 AM
Do a group buy

Chase Bays
11-08-2011, 08:23 PM
That bracket looks good!

For the cooler, a hex screw works. Zipties is what we did on our car. =)

All PM's replied, thanks!

rbpowered326
05-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Hey how much for the ps kit shipped to 63122 for s13

s14unimog
05-06-2012, 08:40 PM
a picture for you. I added my own bracket but the setup works. Looks much better than the OE stuff and complements my build nicely...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/s14unimog/c83055d3.jpg

TypeXFan
12-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Great Product, very impressed. Took a while for them to ship it out to me though. My only issue is that the way it was designed was as if it was to be installed on a fully gutted engine bay. Even the install guide with pictures was setup like that. So what about us average joes who have factory components and emmissions in the bay?? Well regardless I didnt let that stop me from installing it, took me and a friend a few hours to find a relocation mounting point for the reservior and figure out where the hell to mount the oil cooler, but we got it done and I was very happy(No more leaks!). Will post up pics when I can.

BlackZenkiS14
04-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Thinking about doing the PS kit for my Sr20 s14, but have a couple questions.

Read some unfavorable reviews about it, and would like to know if this kit is 100% now?

And if I would like to buy the kit with the cooler lines, but no cooler included, can that be done? I'd like to use a standard earls radiator style cooler instead of the big tube with fins deal.

Price shipped for the kit with cooler lines, but no coolers?

Thanks man! You can either reply or PM me.

bc.
05-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Thinking about doing the PS kit for my Sr20 s14, but have a couple questions.

Read some unfavorable reviews about it, and would like to know if this kit is 100% now?

And if I would like to buy the kit with the cooler lines, but no cooler included, can that be done? I'd like to use a standard earls radiator style cooler instead of the big tube with fins deal.

Price shipped for the kit with cooler lines, but no coolers?

Thanks man! You can either reply or PM me.
Silly Kyle, all those questions have already been answered earlier in the thread :duh:

ChaseBays: I need the high pressure line for a s14 sr20 pump but I don't have the banjo fitting extension. Do you guys have a line that would work going directly out of the pump, bypassing the banjo extension?

tengo240
06-18-2013, 04:44 PM
chase bays is garbage

hellion240sx
06-18-2013, 05:51 PM
chase bays is garbage

So is there a reason why, or are you just being a ****head?

Xicor01
06-28-2013, 03:55 PM
How soon can i get one for the s13 with 2jz stainless line, if i order monday.

iRONDONkey
06-28-2013, 04:24 PM
How soon can i get one for the s13 with 2jz stainless line, if i order monday.

knowing them maybe 6-8 months.

vindicatedrob
09-17-2013, 08:41 AM
I ordered the stainless steel that said from the pump to rack. Was suppose to be from the 24 or 26mm head bolt (the top or rear bolt) or the side bolt. The install page is down. send me the actual install pic. I own a s14 zenki.