PDA

View Full Version : poor idle, running lean, no power, then battery is dead???

Garber
06-12-2011, 09:32 PM
i seriously cannot beleive i am making another thread right now. this car is cursed. my gf has owned if for over a year and it has been a nightmare every since. hasnt seen the road for more than a week before it goes back in the shop for something else. the previous owner threw a turbo kit on this 1991 s13 ka24de and we have been picking up the bits and peices ever since. anyhow, hopefully my last thread for a long time.

finally got this thing running. and it was running great! (just swapped a newer low mileage ka in). i fixed a bad ground on the maf and plugged in my tps sensor that wasnt quite clicked in the whole way (whoops). took it around the block a few times. got gas. went for about a 20 min drive. ran awesome the whole time. a/f were around 11.5 in boost and 14.5 cruising. parked it for about an hour.

start it up and it has a funny idle... bouncing between 6-8k rpms. i figured it might be the iacv or something. take it for a drive. a/f are pegging on the gauge 17:1 and higher while cruising. its starting to jerk and bounce when accelerating. get it back in my driveway 5 minutes later and its barely running. bouncing idle between 4-6krpms. no throttle response at all. it does this for about a minute and then dies. now i go to start it and the battery is dead.... the car wont turn over....

my only guess is that its the alternator because the battery died.... but how would this make it run lean? any ideas? im at the end of my rope.

Mishkin_707
06-15-2011, 03:45 PM
electrical on these cars are super sensitive, when my alt was dying sometimes my wipers would randomly turn on lights would come on and sometimes it would screw with my injectors so i would be running on 3 cylinders and my car would sound like a surbaru with an exhaust, i finally changed my alternator and bam been running a year with no more of that weird shit going on.

have you ever driven by the police station and your car was randomly honking so you get pulled over and when the cop walks up to your car it stops honking til the officer starts to talk?

he was pretty mad.