PDA

View Full Version : SoCal People: Are you burning?

mrmephistopheles
10-26-2003, 06:34 PM
For those who aren't currently inhaling smoke & ash, ALOT of SoCal is ablaze.
There are at least 15 different fires acros SoCal, with alot of the smaller ones being located in San Diego, and the really big ones in the San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

Uhmmm
Now is a good time to get a Nomex suit. For your CAR!

Anyway, good luck to all who have to face this thing.

There's a fireline ~10 miles from my apt. whee. :-\

revat619
10-26-2003, 06:43 PM
Yeah this totally sucks ASH!

I'm really concerned about all my friends in/near the high risk area's. (That includes you and your family, Kevin and the rest of the SD Zilvia "family"). I just hope everybody is safe.

Anubis
10-26-2003, 07:50 PM
what a frickin shitty way to wake up. First of all the clocks got set back so i was all confused, then i see this huge ass black cloud out my window, i thought the world was coming to an end. hahaha only in socal, one day its sunny, next its raining, next its on fire.

Brian
10-27-2003, 12:27 AM
breathing was difficult today. my eyes hurt, my throat hurt. everything sucked. blah.

NismoSkylineR34
10-27-2003, 10:14 AM
I house almost burned down, so close our bushes were a blaze but our neighbors house wasnt so lucky it burned down to the ground, so far 6 of my friends houses are gone and maybe more that i dont know about it is really sad. There are over 200 homes gone just from the San bernardino fire.

MisfitFlesh
10-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Yeah im in fillmore which is in ventura county and it sucks because im surrounded by mountains that are on fire. my friend has fire fighters on his roof right now as i write this trying to stop them. My buddy works for the fire dept. and they called him down to SD. He said just yesterday 11 people died, 100,000 acres burned, and 200+ houses went down. He said everytime they saved a house 2 more went down.

chokudoriS13
10-27-2003, 03:10 PM
I'm in the San Fernando Valley (Granada Hills/Northridge area) and the fire is coming this way from Simi. This whole weekend we've been helping friends evacuate from there. Flames were in backyards of some homes.

NeLO aNgeLO
10-27-2003, 03:16 PM
ah dude like i posted on the other thread my parents house is in rancho del rey which is right by eastlake were fires are approaching. im hoping this thing gets stopped soon but it doesnt seem like it will be contained till weds. i was in LA for the weekend with friends celebrating my 21st b-day. when we were all flooded with calls from friends and relatives in east chula vista area, killed my fun time at knotts scary farm. well at least the jpsec store was kool anyways stay safe and if u can be off the highways 911 vehicles needs the open road.-dave :wtc:

240Degrees
10-27-2003, 09:01 PM
i haven't been outside all day today and yesterday. i hope you guys stay safe. i really hope your parents and their house is safe, Nelo Angelo, you too chokudori.

i know it's sad that all this is happening, but watching the news, this one guy is pissed and blaming the Fire Department for "not preventing this fire" because he lives in the mountains and lost 10 classic cars. Well sawwwwwrie, asshole. Fires are part of nature's environmental cycle here. Brush is meant to catch on fire, leaving ash, so that the plant grows again. What if brush kept on growing and growing, then these people would be complaining about how it needs to be cleaned up. Well, brush fires are natures way of maintaining itself. It comes with the territory of living where we do. It's a shame all this stuff he's invested in has been burned down, but it's wrong to blame the San Diego Fire Department. It's like blaming tornadoes for occuring and floods in the east coast for happening. Sorry, just needed to vent. The Fire Department just needs more credit than that.

NismoGear5
10-27-2003, 09:33 PM
I'm in Carson and the air sucks butt... My friend's primer job got ruined, good thing I don't have a car right now haha

SilEighty Type X
10-27-2003, 11:08 PM
i live in east highlands, which is part of San Bernardino, and the fire is like 2 miles away from my house. It is on the mountain right behind our house.

S15 Powered
10-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by mrmephistopheles

There are at least 15 different fires acros SoCal, with alot of the smaller ones being located in San Diego, and the really big ones in the San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

Actually the fires in SD are the biggest ones around. We've lost 881 homes at last update in SD County and well over 200,000 acres have burned to the ground.

S13SilviaGirl
10-28-2003, 01:08 AM
Damn, I know how you guys in san bernardino feel...my family lives in Redlands...and the smoke was horrible...my friend lost his house out there in SB...this is a hoooooooooorrrrrible thing....I hate arsonists. They blow!:bash: :axe:

Zenki_S14
10-28-2003, 03:31 AM
Just an update as of now (2:30 am), nearly 400,000 acres burned, around 900 homes lost, 16 dead. The fire in Cedar is 0% contained. San Diego alone will recieve help from Arizona, Nevada, and somewhere north from here. 15 fire engines from Arizona, 40 from nevada (I think) plus 2 helicopter, and 60 from somewhere up north. Governor Gray Davis Suck @ss. Had he gave the approval for military help, it wouldn't be this bad. Now they're all pointing fingers at each other. It sucks for the victims.

Raine
10-28-2003, 04:39 AM
My street looks like the biggest ashtray i've ever seen. I feel bad for those who were evacuated, but at least they're safe.

holisticbeatz
10-28-2003, 09:20 PM
One of the best touge spots in So. Cal was shut down due to it being partially on fire. Pretty crappy actually, ashes rained down on the touge and caused a grip driver's worst nigtmare, LOSS OF GRIP~! Also, people dying and houses burning down isn't a cool thing either.

Everybody! Pray for rain!

Here's a shot from space, courtesy of NASA:

http://www.eniety.com/pichost/pic/2589405_320X240.jpg

Looks like everybody in Los Angeles, San Fernando, Ventura and Riverside are smoking one big phat blunt~!

Raine
10-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by holisticbeatz
One of the best touge spots in So. Cal was shut down due to it being partially on fire. Pretty crappy actually, ashes rained down on the touge and caused a grip driver's worst nigtmare, LOSS OF GRIP~!

GMR right? It was a double whammy for me... not only do I have to wait to drive it again (3rd stage is the best I'd say), but we (class group) were filming a short movie up there for A/V film class and now production was postponed with only 1 weekend left to film =(

Not that my movie is more important than the safety of those in the area... I wish them well

vodka
10-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by chokudoriS13
I'm in the San Fernando Valley (Granada Hills/Northridge area) and the fire is coming this way from Simi. This whole weekend we've been helping friends evacuate from there. Flames were in backyards of some homes.
Yeah, I work in that area, right off nordhoff & corbin (more like chatsworth/northridge,) so its real close to where I am. At home, its not so bad. At my job however, there are a lot of simi people, and its just hell for them.

BTW, Chokudoris13 I think I've seen your car down nordhoff once. It looked pretty clean and I gave u a thumbs up. I don't remember if I was in the 240 though.

BTW, if you ever see a ghetto-looking, boosting primer black 240, that's me

Nissan240SX
10-29-2003, 12:20 PM
I am not from there but i do wish you all luck. Stay safe and hope you and your families come out of the unscathed.

Startours7
10-29-2003, 12:29 PM
I just came home from vacation in new orliens and my fucking city was on fire. My flight wasn't cancelled. When I was coming in all you could see was a hugh orange and black cloud. Then nothing untill just before we hit the ground. My poor car had like 1/2 inch of ash on it.
The winds turned around and now it's moving east, away from me. Sunday night I called my friend in Mera Masa where my Z project is. He said it was getting close, so I thought my almost complete motor was just going to be a hunk of melted metel. She's ok for now.

ALTRNTV
10-29-2003, 01:32 PM
yea, i live in Panorama City and the fire is very close, and my girlfriend lives in Sylmar, i'm worried... this is hella scary..

nokeone
10-29-2003, 01:52 PM
my dad left Nor Cal (Santa Cruz) on Saturday to go down south with a ton of fire crews from CDF and CDC...havn't talked to him since then...just hoping all is well..makes me sad to think about it..:(