PDA

View Full Version : how do you run a BN Sports kit without cracking fiberglass?

s14zen
06-08-2011, 02:06 AM
wanting to do this with my S14 kouki. a BN SPORTS kit. i got the meistors, SR20, etc. just no kit.
YouTube - ‪Sick s14 at Hellaflush hawaii 2011‬‏ (http://youtu.be/e1W4HL3YV_c)

I live in a area where they have made speed bumps all around my subdivision, and i won't be able to make it up my driveway once im kitted. I want to keep my slamed hellaflush stance, but how can i get away without destorying my kit? any advise on what you would do? raise the car? bigger wheels?

Walperstyle
06-08-2011, 02:31 AM
Same advice I give every 16-19 year old. Don't daily drive a car that you believe is a race car, Or live somewhere else where it is safe.

Lowering a car to look cool (to others) or be a part of a scene isn't the way to do it right.

To answer your question about keeping fiberglass from cracking, you can reinforce the bottom lip of a car with stuff like that 'carbon overlay' or something similar that kinda acts like a sticky-stretchy substance that will help prevent it from completely going to crap. That said, it will probably not look as 'cool' as others, but it at least gives you some driving functionality.

Or you could search youtube on how to repair fiberglass, and learn to build a bumper bar where you could quickly remove your bumper and do some spot repairs, prime and paint. This can get costly pending on how you drive and how stupid low your car is.

Nothing against low cars, but there is a time and place for them, sometimes thats not where you live, or where you are in life. BN sports looks really good, but I'll stick with my $9 front lip I found in a junkyard and drive with that till it falls off. PS, try to buy polyurethane front bumpers as they have some flex to them. Or make a copy of your bumper by using the real one as a Mold for another.

s14zen
06-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Same advice I give every 16-19 year old. Don't daily drive a car that you believe is a race car, Or live somewhere else where it is safe.

Lowering a car to look cool (to others) or be a part of a scene isn't the way to do it right.

To answer your question about keeping fiberglass from cracking, you can reinforce the bottom lip of a car with stuff like that 'carbon overlay' or something similar that kinda acts like a sticky-stretchy substance that will help prevent it from completely going to crap. That said, it will probably not look as 'cool' as others, but it at least gives you some driving functionality.

Or you could search youtube on how to repair fiberglass, and learn to build a bumper bar where you could quickly remove your bumper and do some spot repairs, prime and paint. This can get costly pending on how you drive and how stupid low your car is.

Nothing against low cars, but there is a time and place for them, sometimes thats not where you live, or where you are in life. BN sports looks really good, but I'll stick with my $9 front lip I found in a junkyard and drive with that till it falls off. PS, try to buy polyurethane front bumpers as they have some flex to them. Or make a copy of your bumper by using the real one as a Mold for another.

thanks for advise, but this isn't a race car.. it's my daily. i guess im running no kit or lips! just gotta deal with the ugly bumpers.

curbhuggerrps13
06-08-2011, 03:11 AM
That's the price you pay to be" hellaflush ". There is such a thing called being too low and impractical. If you have common sense to realize you car is too low and the kit will make driving comfortable non existence....then maybe that is not the best route for you to go

1on1
06-08-2011, 08:47 AM
don't go lower than 3-inches off the ground.

WanganRunner
06-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Buy some other shitbox car and daily it.

ericcastro
06-08-2011, 12:14 PM
i would stay 4 inches or 5 off the ground.
When you enter private parking garages they have those shitty rubber speed bumps, and those are taller then the normal ones, and grip a bumper.

If you daily your car, you need to be practical with your ride height.

WISH ONE
06-08-2011, 12:32 PM
When I had BN type 2 on my s13 I ripped off the rear bumper on almost every drive way i went into. The attention from having a "cool" "Hip" car got old real quick. BN sits so low off the ground that in order for you to have any sort of ground clearance you will have to at "monster-truck" ride height.
Just so you can see.
First pic is on 18/19
Second/third pic is on 17s, I'm not all that low and the bumper is basically on the ground.
The last pic is what happens when your friend thinks he can drive your car.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/mikeishellafresh/b2b98c91.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/mikeishellafresh/a29029f0.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/mikeishellafresh/59593c35.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/mikeishellafresh/230752c7.jpg
I almost cried, I had just got the car painted 4 days prior.

tricky_ab
06-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Practicality vs money. You're young, so I'd imagine that money would be tight. I'd skip on it for now...

Brian
06-08-2011, 12:53 PM
That red car is pretty sick.
Does it do any driving though? (perhaps somebody knows?)

At any rate, when I drove my s14 everyday, I kept the stock front bumper on there because it would be an idiot move to run a real FRP bumper. Of course, my skirts scraped every driveway, but whatever. You don't really need the bottoms of the skirts.

Persona
06-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Dont drive it.

MADE
06-08-2011, 08:50 PM
I had a BN sport bumper on my cefiro back in the day, it wasnt Zilvia approved low but was lowered. I can say the BN sports kits can take a minor scraps / hits pretty well without cracking.

dazed
06-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Back when I had D-Max, and I was slammed the shit just got destroyed as it was my DD. It's not if it will, it's when. With that being said you should just get a JDM front with no lip, and you can get away with being pretty low that way. All depends on your taste and what you want to do. And like other people said, shit if you have the money just buy the kit and drive slammed and fix it..

WISH ONE
06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
You could buy one legitimate kit so you are contributing to the scene, and then purchase a million replicas and only bring out the cool real one when youre going to a jdm tyte car meet or bbq lol
I am only kidding.

Buy the kit and rarely drive the car.
Spend the cash and take care of it
Spend the cash destroy it and fix it.
Dont spend the cash aero but instead spend it on go fast parts, and get more satisfaction out of actually driving your car.

EhrikETFG
06-09-2011, 01:24 PM
buy it and quit being a girl? theres only one way to find out if its gonna work man

HyperTek
06-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't like BN. overrated. I say go with a different kit .. BN's snow plow look only works when the car is super low.. other kits can look good at a higher height.

You have to get it to where it is high enough to get you places but yet low enough to look just right.

Gangster low is just to impress the drift kids on the internet. They may call you out and tell you to go lower, but it isnt their car. Canyon driving is fun but when your scraping your bodykit on the ground, is not fun.

I daily drove at this low and banged up the rear bumper on driveways
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252549_10150201816043557_752713556_7161526_7602162 _n.jpg
my car was known for being even lower before i got it, but no way in hell was that practical or even good for suspension geometry *tho i got hated on the internet for raising it *

You learn how to drive that low.. You become more cautious and aware of your surroundings. If you must go out of a steep driveway, my best advice is to go up steep driveways forward, and go down them in reverse. The rear bumpers are usually higher so it helps.

Learn how to fiberglass and do your own body work.. getting cracks wont be a big deal anymore since you can easily repair them.. I say rock the bodykit and ride height for a while before you paint it so you can knock out all the issues and problems that may arise.

Dousan_PG
06-11-2011, 02:51 PM
BN rules

but daily, i would get a knock off. something cheap
for a track or 'safer' environments, run the bn
or even special occasions

on the track i ripped my Bn bumper in 1/2 first day at WSIR because i dropped the rear off the track slightly and WHOOOMP it was torn in 2.
such is life of aero kits.

mine was a BN type 4 180sx type