PDA

View Full Version : First man ‘functionally cured’ of HIV

Gnnr
06-05-2011, 12:46 PM
First man ‘functionally cured’ of HIV
By Liz Goodwin
Fri Jun 3, 5:40 pm ET

Since HIV was discovered 30 years ago this week, 30 million people have died from the disease, and it continues to spread at the rate of 7,000 people per day globally, the UN says.

There's not much good news when it comes to this devastating virus. But that is perhaps why the story of the man scientists call the "Berlin patient" is so remarkable and has generated so much excitement among the HIV advocacy community.

Timothy Ray Brown suffered from both leukemia and HIV when he received a bone marrow stem cell transplant in Berlin, Germany in 2007. The transplant came from a man who was immune to HIV, which scientists say about 1 percent of Caucasians are. (According to San Francisco's CBS affiliate, the trait may be passed down from ancestors who became immune to the plague centuries ago. This Wired story says it was more likely passed down from people who became immune to a smallpox-like disease.)

What happened next has stunned the dozens of scientists who are closely monitoring Brown: His HIV went away.

"He has no replicating virus and he isn't taking any medication. And he will now probably never have any problems with HIV," his doctor Gero Huetter told Reuters. Brown now lives in the Bay Area, and suffers from some mild neurological difficulties after the operation. "It makes me very happy," he says of the incredible cure.

Read More: First man ‘functionally cured’ of HIV - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110603/us_yblog_thelookout/first-man-functionally-cured-of-hiv;_ylt=A0wNdPzezetNVtgAgF2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNlYmt vZ2NnBGFzc2V0A3libG9nX3RoZWxvb2tvdXQvMjAxMTA2MDMvZ mlyc3QtbWFuLWZ1bmN0aW9uYWxseS1jdXJlZC1vZi1oaXYEcG9 zAzUEc2VjA3luX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDZmlyc3RtYW44M jE2)

Wow, this is a major step forward in the field of medicine.

simmode1
06-05-2011, 02:17 PM
1% of caucasions are immune to HIV? WTF? Has the plague so bad that its antibodies kicks AIDS ass? Wow. If they've known that, I wonder whats really holding up a real cure?

ayuaddict
06-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Man, white people are too awesome.

Prime
06-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Still wondering the hell is up with Magic Johnson, then... he's had undetectable viral loads for years now.

LoneStarSilvia
06-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Can we start cloning super humans yet?

1on1
06-05-2011, 03:26 PM
My homegirl and I were talking about this the other night at a bar, I guess it is true.

I second, Yuta

simmode1
06-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Plz don't. They'll enslave all of us.

Gnnr
06-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Still wondering the hell is up with Magic Johnson, then... he's had undetectable viral loads for years now.

I actually saw him in person give a presentation on it a few years ago. The medications have gotten him to the point where the HIV in his system is at a dormant state and has prevented it from developing into AIDS.

lflkajfj12123
06-05-2011, 05:44 PM
hella late pass

blueshark123
06-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I think there is a cure for everything but will not be released to anyone not a billionaire at least or important/famous

lawrenceyang
06-05-2011, 09:03 PM
white is right baby

ronmcdon
06-06-2011, 01:44 AM
I actually saw him in person give a presentation on it a few years ago. The medications have gotten him to the point where the HIV in his system is at a dormant state and has prevented it from developing into AIDS.

that's the difference, i think, from being 'treated' and 'cured'. realistically, most ppl are probably still going to be treated with the (anti-viral?) meds like Magic that keep the HIV at low enough levels where it'll stay safe enough. The person just has to keep taking the meds throughout their life.

the San Francisco dude who was 'cured' was really done so through a highly risky procedure (he was about to die anyways, so it was a last ditch effort), and meds would not have been sufficient at that point. He is effectively cured in that he no longer needs treatment. That being said, the inherent risk and expense of the procedure is such that it's not really a practical or cost-effective form of treatment for anyone and everyone with HIV. We don't have the medical technology, i think to implement this on a practical scale.

Stem cell implants are still a really expensive and risky treatment procedure. yeah the 'cure' is there, just don't expect it to work even most of the time, at least not yet. This is certainly good news, just not good enough where you shouldn't worry about HIV at all. ppl will still be dying from it.

demonspeed
06-06-2011, 07:34 AM
*Chapelle voice* so white people have bomb ass credit, nice houses...AND they're immune to HIV?! LOL, but real talk thats good news! i wonder if they could take that man's DNA and put it into someone else...

Walperstyle
06-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Time to sell shares in Condom companies, and buy shares in Brothels

I don't want a copy of myself :trogdor:

daryl337
06-08-2011, 01:04 PM
I remember reading a story exactly like that several months ago.

Either yahoo is behind the times, or I predicted the future in a strange bout of deja vu (not the titty club unfortunately).