PDA

View Full Version : Dash VIN mismatch

sidewayzsilvia
05-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I bought a 240 recently and the previous owner replaced dash and didnt keep the original VIN. The VIN's on the door jamb and firewall match the title, just not the dash. I want to go and get a VIN verifiacation but i have silvia front conversion and dont want the CHP to sieze it. Anyone have any info or can help??????

mewantkouki
05-28-2011, 10:57 AM
You are SOL. Nissan USA won't replace a vin plate unless you have the original to turn in to a dealer. You could try making the vin plate on your dashboard unreadable and returning it that way. It's a long shot though.

I just got through this ordeal, my dash vin plate was damaged at the rivet holes from the previous retard owner swapping dashboards. I had to surrender the old plate and wait two months for Nissan to print a new one for me. It cost $25 to get it done.

sidewayzsilvia
05-28-2011, 11:03 AM
I have run the VIN and its not stolen. I have also asked some question and i have to take it in to get inspected and if all checks out, which it should, then i get a new VIN on the car (Blue Tag) and no problems. I just dont wanna take it in with the silvia front and have them take my shit.

mewantkouki
05-28-2011, 11:06 AM
The vin is etched into the chassis on the frame rail, firewall, and there is a plate with the production date and vin riveted next to the wiper motor. There are also two stickers in the door jambs that list it. If I were you I'd just remove the vin plate on your dashboard and live without it. You'll never be able to get a replacement without the original plate. Having the state issue your car a different vin is another huge pain in the ass.

sr20sean
05-28-2011, 11:18 AM
they wont give a shit about the silvia front

brndck
05-28-2011, 11:18 AM
There is absolutely no reason they should hassle you. The vin is permanently carved in the firewall and on the plate in the door jam. If they even ask, just explain that the previous owner swapped dashes but was a lazy mofo. Shouldnt be an issue.

codyace
05-28-2011, 12:01 PM
There is absolutely no reason they should hassle you. The vin is permanently carved in the firewall and on the plate in the door jam. If they even ask, just explain that the previous owner swapped dashes but was a lazy mofo. Shouldnt be an issue.

In PA we don't even look at the dash for verification of vin, we always check door cards and firewall as often times crash cars get new dashes.

90hatchie
05-28-2011, 12:10 PM
LOL they wont seize ur car for having a different front end ur car is from the usa why would they seize it? its not a grey market skyline

punn303
05-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I had a VIN reassignment done with the CHP to replace a cracked dash. I did need to bring the replacement dash with its original VIN attached and my car with its original dash in place. He didn't ask too many questions, the CHP officer seemed more concerned with me having legit numbers more than anything else.
After the inspection I ended up with a small tag on the inside of my door to replace the VIN on my dash. My new dash had the old VIN removed and nothing was put back in its place.
I say you call the CHP and explain the situation and make sure you all you VINs are legit.
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo241/punn303/VIN.jpg

sidewayzsilvia
05-29-2011, 09:55 AM
I have called and asked question with chp, they explained that they would would just go through car and make sure the VIN's were legit and assign a new VIN. I just didnt wanna show up for the verification if they are going to make a big deal about the front end conversion

nismolvr
05-29-2011, 10:22 AM
I have called and asked question with chp, they explained that they would would just go through car and make sure the VIN's were legit and assign a new VIN. I just didnt wanna show up for the verification if they are going to make a big deal about the front end conversion
My friend also had his done at CHP, got tired of the extra hassle from investigating if his car was stolen every time he got pulled over . Dood just go to your local CHP and they will check VIN on car everywhere , you can explain they will give you a new tag end of story.