PDA

View Full Version : Kung fu movie thread

fyneyoungstunna
05-24-2011, 11:01 AM
well i didn't find one, and I Love old kung fu flicks cheesy or serious.

So post some of your favorites, links to em if you got em, etc etc.

List:
Ip man
Ip man 2
Just wow, well done movies

Chocolate
ong bak
ong bak 3

prodigal son
police story 1&2

well you get the point. Ill post links when on my pc.

simmode1
05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
I was talking about this yesterday with a coworker... With all due respect to Jackie Chan and Jet li, their best days are over. Donnie Yen is running this shit right now.
oSv9EHXPd1c
Donnie is the best martial artist/actor in the world right now, IMO. But younger fighters are coming up on him fast. Micheal Jai White, Scott Adkins, Tony Jaa and Lateef Crowder are all fighting to lead the next generation of movie martial artists, IMO...

driftthis
05-24-2011, 11:20 AM
My all time favorite Kung Fu film: Drunken Master (1978).

When it comes to Donnie Yen - you can't forget Iron Monkey (1993).

fyneyoungstunna
05-24-2011, 11:25 AM
flash point is the one i was trying to think of, i watched that last night. Donnie Yen is bad ass.

Im loving some of Sammo Hungs newer lesser known movies as well.
Im bad with the names so ill have to look them up again.

One of them is WU shu.
the other one: He is head detective in charge of a group of young detectives going after some crime lord. its a newer one.

Gen x and Gen Y cops are good movies too.

ZenkiKid
05-24-2011, 11:50 AM
anybody got a good list of some wire-fu movies? I have been feeling that lately and would like to look up some more.

iLagX
05-24-2011, 11:53 AM
kung fu hustle! WAITING ON PART 2
tai chi master
IRON MONKEY

zspeedrft
05-24-2011, 11:56 AM
kung fu panda
kung fu panda 2

simmode1
05-24-2011, 01:00 PM
^^^Yes. Kung Fu Panda is all the way awesome.

fyneyoungstunna
05-24-2011, 01:36 PM
didn't realize you were on here simmode1

hows capoeira going?
you'll appreciate Lateef Crowder's scene in undisputed 3.
i wish, in some ways, there was more representation of Capoeira in the movies...without all the gay stereotypes of it being just a dance. Only The Strong was good back in the day.

I didnt know they were gonna do Kung Fu Hustle 2, Ill go see that on opening night when/if it comes out. Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2 (waiting for it) are good movies.

HyperTek
05-24-2011, 01:50 PM
dont bring that american kung fu panda animated bs here please. thanks.

Anyways, just kung fu? or can we include other asian martial arts movies?

Some Tony Jaa movies are cool.. so far tho the only one I liked was Tom Yong Gong or someting

Mikey213
05-24-2011, 01:54 PM
http://youtu.be/SgOtOHUcjAM
WHEELS ON MEALS = BAD ASS! NO WATERED DOWN JACKIE CHAN AMERICAN VERSION!

simmode1
05-24-2011, 02:18 PM
didn't realize you were on here simmode1

hows capoeira going?
you'll appreciate Lateef Crowder's scene in undisputed 3.
i wish, in some ways, there was more representation of Capoeira in the movies...without all the gay stereotypes of it being just a dance. Only The Strong was good back in the day.
Oh for sure. I split my time about equally between NICO & Zilvia. The lolz help the day go by...

Yeah, Lateef's Capoeira scenes in Undisputed III are the most legit ur likely to get anytime soon. Since Capoeira is equal parts a game, and fight and a dance, it's hard to find ppl who focus so strongly on the fight aspect AND who also are good enough to make their movements translate well on film. Most Capoeira users generally fall into catagories like martial arts trickers or rasta/hippie hybrids who don't wanna do yoga, but Lateef is the real thing. He was actually supposed to be the main villain in Tony Jaa's The Protector but he got injured on set....

Ahh... and Only the Strong... Mentioning that movie to a Capoeirista is like mentioning Fast & Furious around here. We generally just kinda facepalm that movie...

fyneyoungstunna
05-24-2011, 02:34 PM
dont bring that american kung fu panda animated bs here please. thanks.

Cause you know....I clearly stated that i would descriminate when I STARTED this thread lol.

Anyways, just kung fu? or can we include other asian martial arts movies?
^ I was kinda using Kung Fu as a blanket term, which I shouldn't have done. But, people who usually dont practice dont REALLY know the difference. Yes all types of Martial Arts.

Some Tony Jaa movies are cool.. so far tho the only one I liked was Tom Yong Gong or something
^ That was a good one. There are good movies by the director/company/him that he hasn't stared in. No real story lines but the action is impressive.

Simmode:
We get a lot of those here in CO. There was even a mestre that got blacklisted for constantly dogging and not teaching the Martial aspect of Capo.
There is also an influx of people in the studios who see it as just a dance, and that doesnt help the cause at all.
Im looking to make the switch from regional to Angola for this reason.

Oh and Lateef vs Jaa in its entierety would have been epic!!

florante rea
05-24-2011, 02:41 PM
The drunken master, ip man n most of je li movies.

simmode1
05-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Whoa, you do Capo? Color me surprised! Lets take this to PM. Don't wanna derail your thread...

HyperTek
05-24-2011, 06:26 PM
YouTube - ‪Wheels On Meals‬‏ (http://youtu.be/SgOtOHUcjAM)
WHEELS ON MEALS = BAD ASS! NO WATERED DOWN JACKIE CHAN AMERICAN VERSION!

thanks! im watching now , i take it that the vids on the right are also full movies? looks like i got some entertainment for a lil bit ;)

uraznfriend
05-24-2011, 10:59 PM
2FV5mK5Ugdo

Donnie Yen is a badass and i also loved him in Bodyguards and Assassins
Killzone (aka SPL)

4DOOR_LIFE
05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
just watched a Donnie yen classic yesterday, "Dragon Tiger Gate"

i definitely enjoy pretty much any movie he's in. Killzone is good too.

IP Man is good, haven't watched the 2nd one yet.

fyneyoungstunna
05-25-2011, 12:17 AM
haha after watching Dragon Tiger Gate, im still working on the nunchuckas and tennis ball thing. i can get six vollleys, after that its game over.

@simmode, its all good, we can put it here.
Im just a beginner, maestres are few and far between here. The one that does regional is a good teacher but doesnt beleive in the martial aspects. The one that does angola is a bit illusive atm.

simmode1
05-25-2011, 10:09 AM
LOL... Angola is always elusive! Everybody that I know of that does Angola heard about it by word of mouth. Angola Mestre's are usually very purist, old school & secretive. They usually shun ppl putting their info online and they try to "stay off the grid" so to speak. I like that. Very Underground Railroad kinda shit...

But my Mestre says "Capoeira is Capoeira" meaning he doesn't care if you do Angola, Regional, Senzala, Cordou de Oro or whatever. Just make sure it's effective.

Since we're talking about movies here, have you seen Besouro yet? Imagine a Capoeira story told in the romanticized style of Kung Fu flicks like Crouching Tiger. This time, they used real Capoerisitas, unlike Only the Strong...
ghmo7_5A8U8

Donnie Yen in Dragon Tiger Gate was odd to me... If I didn't know it was based on a comic book, I would have written it off. But Turbo made the movie funny and kept it interesting. Sidenote though. Donnie Yen is one snappy dresser...

fyneyoungstunna
05-25-2011, 11:25 AM
^
haha i could have done without the flying and stuff. but i will give it a watch none the less.
I still cling to: we need for a capoeira movie to come out that is pure, not wires and such.

Ill give more about my thouhghts on Besouro when im done watching.

man its been raining here so much lately that you cant do much, but ive been dying to get out and work on my basics. because of my height my jenga and negativa are lacking...in my eyes, could be a bit more compact.

heres two short vids for you simmode, i always find them inspirational when i get lazy in practicing:

YouTube - ‪The best capoeira video ever‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8xxgFpK-NM)
YouTube - ‪Capoeira me chama- Capoeira music‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2k4mHOIHlg)

DrftSLowHomIe!!
05-25-2011, 11:32 AM
one of my Favorite fight scences of all time!!

lXOucDVH2eo

simmode1
05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
That's what all the Capoeira boards said when they first saw the Besouro trailer. But when you see it, it works because you realize that the guy he's fighting is an African God and has supernatural abilities... The movie still has it's flaws, but it was a nice effort, IMO. Research Besouro Preto, he's the man the movie is about...

As for those videos... old news man! Here's my current motivator!
X4c8BRs56kg

That Jackie Chan Gorgeous fight is awesome! Horrible movie, but awesome fight...

vas570sx
05-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Sorry that this isnt part of an actual movie per say, but my brother put together this little documentary for my nephew who is 2 years old and studies Capoeira.

YouTube - ‪CapoKids - 2yr Old Geo Vega Does Capoeira‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR1Syh1aphU)

simmode1
05-25-2011, 11:46 AM
^^^Nice... Gonna repost on my facebook...

vas570sx
05-25-2011, 11:57 AM
^^awesome man, please do. He's my nephew and a great motivation for anyone trying to get into any form of martial arts..

He's gonna be a great Capoeirista someday.

here is another link to a behind the scenes video of my brothers action films challenge movie called "A Spaniards Tale".

YouTube - ‪Action Film Challenge - Grupo Maluco Day 11‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPju1lz9ow)

simmode1
05-25-2011, 12:18 PM
^^^I wish I coulda started Capoeira younger. But I didn't start until I was 26...

man its been raining here so much lately that you cant do much, but ive been dying to get out and work on my basics. because of my height my jenga and negativa are lacking...in my eyes, could be a bit more compact.

You don't need much room to do ginga, negativa or even au... This is where Angola would help you. We're all about staying low and being compact. I could play a whole game in my apartment...lol

Imma try to get back on topic here: I loved Jackie Chan in Young Master where he fought that kid whose weapon of choice was a workbench... How badass do you have to be to effectively use a workbench as a weapon?!

ronmcdon
05-25-2011, 12:37 PM
I like the kung-fu cheese-fests

RmdP1qTjGZY
ZgTkFroCf9Q

conrad_s13.5
05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
:O
new favorite thread!

i was hoping someone put that gorgeous fight scene!
Donnie Yen has some badass fight choreography,...but,...imo,...no one will/has ever beat jackie chan as far as stunts,..and actually getting his ass kicked and giving his 100%!

Tony Jaa is killin some shit too!

rc1honda
05-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Some of Jet Li old flicks are pretty good until he went all Hollywood and dumb.

YouTube - ‪Fist of Legend; Jet Li vs. the Japanese school‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYLv-2RHJN4)

YouTube - ‪Fist of Legend; Jet Li vs. Chin Siu Ho‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abecTih3Xw)

This is from Fist of Legend(remake from the Bruce Lee version). Some stuff is a little faked, but the actual hand to hand is unreal. Very fast and smooth. Probably one of the best hand to hand Kung Fu movies i have ever seen.

The second clip really shows jet's speed and accuracy well. Every fight scene in this movie is awesome.

90hatchie
05-25-2011, 05:21 PM
YouTube - ‪Jackie Chan Drunken Master‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ijbax3CxoQ)
i like this

fyneyoungstunna
05-25-2011, 05:49 PM
I can never remember the name of the movie, but its Jackie Chan doing this roller-derby thing. good for a laugh and some good fight scenes, even on rollerskates!

A good Korean one to check out is the "My Wife is Gangster" series, i think there is three or four of them. Surprisingly, Korean movies even the drama ones are actually well played and deep story lines!

There is a thai one called "The Rebel" great movie
YouTube - ‪The Rebel OFFICIAL Trailer‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFEeKmaCLkg)

simmode1
05-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Found it! I love this scene!
MAEJ6jOLua0

Hey, what did you guys think of Kung Pow: Enter the Fist?
ihuDwkL9_Ng

punn303
05-28-2011, 11:59 AM
gopher chucks....lol

MrMcgarrett
05-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Found it! I love this scene!
MAEJ6jOLua0

The last fight scene from The Young Master is the best:

Oa8Cg0wxMyc

apMrwJPVq3o

I love the sound effects of the old Kung Fu movies.

Couple more good end fights:

ynsuaBPDFvo

HIJsMosbA-0

BOROSUN
05-28-2011, 08:36 PM
donnie vs cung
RXa00ZPP9mk

fyneyoungstunna
05-28-2011, 10:04 PM
^ Bodyguards and assasins.
Great movie, but sad as hell...

sal240sx
05-28-2011, 10:18 PM
I like the super old school movies-
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin aka Master Killer
Shaolin and Wu-tang
Shaolin vs. Lama
Chinese Super Ninjas
Five Deadly Venoms
Kid with the Golden Arms
Crippled Avengers
Shaolin Mantis
I agree, Jet Li has fallen off. At least Donnie Yen is holding it down. Anyone seen True Legend yet? Ive downloaded it, but havent watched it because it doesnt have any subtitles. May just watch it for the fights anyway.

madd ocx
05-29-2011, 12:49 AM
I like the super old school movies-
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin aka Master Killer
Shaolin and Wu-tang
Shaolin vs. Lama
Chinese Super Ninjas
Five Deadly Venoms
Kid with the Golden Arms
Crippled Avengers
Shaolin Mantis
I agree, Jet Li has fallen off. At least Donnie Yen is holding it down. Anyone seen True Legend yet? Ive downloaded it, but havent watched it because it doesnt have any subtitles. May just watch it for the fights anyway.thats what im talking about! the shaw brothers classics! not that new age stuff.
mystery of chess boxing
the shaolin prince (three holy fools)
born invincible
five fingers of death
just to name a few..

Luvs2slide
05-29-2011, 02:57 AM
^ Fuuuuu Yes. Shaw bros are OG! Super Ninajs is my all time #1 movie...remember watching that shit when I was like 8 and now everytime I watch it my eyes are glued to the TV haha.

Shogun Assassin 1 & 2
Ninja Battalion
All Sho Kosugi movies
Ninja Condors
Kill Bill had some good shit
Can't forget about Bruce Lee...

Theres this one movie I have been looking to find for about 3 years now. I remember watching and owning it on VHS...All I remember is some guys getting their ass whopoed and then eating the "golden pill." And it gives them all their fight back. Also I think in the same movie theres these two dudes called Earth & Fire or something and they jump on each other then wreck shop. Damn If only I could remember.

fyneyoungstunna
05-29-2011, 08:55 PM
^ haha I know that movie, but not the name. I think one of the guys was snow.

sal240sx
05-29-2011, 09:48 PM
^ I thought is was wind or something. Youre ot talking about storm riders are you? Yeah Shaw Bros. were the shit. Wish someone would release all their movies on dvd

simmode1
05-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Fuck yes! I forgot all about StormRiders! I feel like this is what Dragon Tiger Gate tried to be as cool as, but failed.
KZqLyRTw-GM

And don't forget about A Man Called Hero!
OCmYRSMtX4U

SIDENOTE: Holly shit! There's are StormRiders anime?! Shit looks like Avatar on steriods!
qQaMnAN-p3k

fairladyzman
05-30-2011, 12:03 AM
As some have said, Fist of Legend is bad ass. plus any older Jet Li movie lol such as Once Upon A Time In China is a really good movie.

plus the second one is coming out with Donnie Yen from Ip man which im sure will kick ass

MikeisNissan
05-30-2011, 01:11 AM
YouTube - ‪Kung Fu Panda 2 Movie Trailer Official (HD)‬‏ (http://youtu.be/YdaMGcOyfjM)

Mikey213
05-30-2011, 03:58 AM
Donnie yen is the shit

s13skank
05-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Idk but i havnt seen anyone say anything about Enter the Dragon or any Bruce Lee flik! Enter the Dragon is my favorite!!!!

Luvs2slide
05-30-2011, 04:45 AM
^ I thought is was wind or something. Youre ot talking about storm riders are you? Yeah Shaw Bros. were the shit. Wish someone would release all their movies on dvd

Not Storm Riders. It was some other one.

neonaire
05-30-2011, 06:05 AM
watch the forbidden kingdom, funny as hell too

fyneyoungstunna
05-30-2011, 02:27 PM
There's storm riders
Then a storm riders sequel
And then another one with a character named snow who has to fight another great swordsman in a kings castle. Another character in the same movie has dreads but cant think of his name.
Oh and storm riders prequel but it has a different name.

simmode1
05-30-2011, 06:11 PM
I never knew Storm Riders had a sequel & a prequel! I went looking for them and only found the sequel Storm Warriors. Whats the prequel called? Imma download them tonite... Hell, I wonder if they're on Netflix...

fyneyoungstunna
05-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I can't think of the name of the prequel but it starts as they are kids and there is a older female with them. I'll see if I can find it in my collection.

DevilZ
05-31-2011, 12:26 AM
Jet li Once Upon a Time in China 1 2 3. Thats where I learn about Jet li when I was 5 years old. Donnie Yen is the new age of good Kung Fu movies. Anyone watch Gen-X Cops? Can't believe I remember that movie haha

fyneyoungstunna
05-31-2011, 12:54 AM
^ haha alien. That song when they are in the club is tight

fairladyzman
06-01-2011, 12:07 AM
YouTube - ‪Kung Fu Panda 2 Movie Trailer Official (HD)‬‏ (http://youtu.be/YdaMGcOyfjM)

Just cause i saw your sig i have to say Berserk is one of my all time favorite anime/manga ever lol

simmode1
06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Berserk anime was nuts... One day, I need to sit down and read that long ass manga...