PDA

View Full Version : Lets talks valve seat tooling...

daryl337
05-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I've been looking into some tooling, and ever since I quit my previous job at the machine shop years back I've been missing the ability to perform my own valve jobs... particularly seat cutting/grinding.

We were tooled with the old Kwik-way pneumatic grinder set up, and (if I recall) a kwik-way refacer. Of course I don't feel like shelling out buku-bucks for this set up, especially since I'm not in the business of building engines for everyone... just myself.

This brings me to my first inquiry. I've looked into some cheaper alternatives, and came upon the Neway cutters. Are anyone who frequents this forum familiar with them? In my experience, any "cutting" style bit will chatter as it starts to dull, so what is a gentleman's guestimate about the life span before you start having to replace bits? Do you use the T-handle supplied, or did you chuck the bit to a drill press? (If so, what kind did you use? Solid Gear driven presses are generally out of my price range)

The demonstrations I've seen online are producing very nice seat finishes, so im seriously considering one.

How about the hand-held valve refacer? The demonstration appears nice in theory, but since they are clamping down with a vice and using torque to etch into the valves, I'm a little concerned that you may be prone to warping stems.