PDA

View Full Version : what car brands will you never buy again?

BustedS13
05-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Honda. never again. has anybody else developed irrational hatred for certain makes or models?

driftsilvias13
05-20-2011, 02:25 PM
VW or Audi never ever

Also any MBZ

Fearell
05-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm with you on Audi, VW and Benz. I had nothing but problems with my A4 and S4.. I bought them before I started working on them all the time. VW just makes a shit product period.

Corbic
05-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Toyota. Shit company, shit policies and they have not produced anything worthwhile since the FJ80 Landcruiser and MKIV Supra.

Family bought a brand new mini-van, by 10k miles it was blowing smoke and oil was turning to sludge, they refused to warranty it. They cited that having the oil changed at a local general repair shop and not by a Toyota dealer voided the warranty and because they "never had any other issues like this".

Two years later - Engine Oil Gelling recall - fuckfaces.

I hate how people leg hump them for accomplishments from the late 80's, despite the more recent rotted frame rails, oil slugging V6s, stuck accelerators, bad airbags and blown v8s.

shahabshaukat
05-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Saab or VW, never again!!!

I dunno about any other toyotas but by 06 corolla has about 180,000 on the clock and has never required anything but regular maintenance. Still drives great and gives me AWESOME gas mileage! :)

curbhuggerrps13
05-20-2011, 03:03 PM
hyundai, ford, honda, and mazda

driftsilvias13
05-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Toyota. Shit company, shit policies and they have not produced anything worthwhile since the FJ80 Landcruiser and MKIV Supra.

Family bought a brand new mini-van, by 10k miles it was blowing smoke and oil was turning to sludge, they refused to warranty it. They cited that having the oil changed at a local general repair shop and not by a Toyota dealer voided the warranty and because they "never had any other issues like this".

Two years later - Engine Oil Gelling recall - fuckfaces.

I hate how people leg hump them for accomplishments from the late 80's, despite the more recent rotted frame rails, oil slugging V6s, stuck accelerators, bad airbags and blown v8s.

Hmm I am the exact opposite of you. My family has always been a Toyota/Lexus family since the 1980s. None of them EVER gave us problems. Even the new ones.

SBCsx
05-20-2011, 03:17 PM
What are the reasons why you guys hate these brands? Did you guys buy used or new? Just wondering cause I'm in the market to purchase a new car.

Gizmo_S13
05-20-2011, 03:23 PM
VW, fucking horrible cars to work on and one thing breaks leads to the car blowing up or trying to commit suicide.

BoostSlideWayz
05-20-2011, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't know, my cars im happy with.. haha although my 86 celica gts is really messing up but its a pretty used up car, wear and tear usually doesn't determine the car or its over all quality of the whole company. I mean im sure there are a lot of nissans that haven't been reliable or other might hate em for some reason.

I think generally people just get that bad apple of the bunch have a bad experience and never go to that company. Ive seen people with hondas that are soo reliable and never have a problem.. then on the other hand ive seen hondas not last much more than 200 k and just completely go to shit. I personally love toyota, my mk4 has like 250k on the chassis but the engine has been replaced the previous owner says. but the car drives i would imagine just like when it was off the show room. toyota has some pretty good quality but so does nissan.

I would have to say my least fav would be ford and honda just because so many people have hondas.. im kind of a trend hater.

Matej
05-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Chevrolet and Ford. :)

My family has had two of each. Yuck.

LimeLite Racing
05-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Would probably never own another European car at all. BMW took a dive, VW took a dive. The only two experiences it took for me.

gearhead55
05-20-2011, 03:51 PM
VOLKSWAGEN. my VR6 GTI was a lot of fun until fucking everything broke. I got sick of fixing that shit.

who would have thought that a car nearly as old as I am with a swapped japanese motor and a bunch of mismatched aftermarket parts would be more reliable than a 2001 german hatch.

knock on wood.

nighthawk48
05-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Saab blows and audi sucks

usdm180sx
05-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Porsche. Shit breaks down all day long

KiLLeR2001
05-20-2011, 05:03 PM
BMW. I'm not signing the paper where it states you must drive like a douche in order to own the car.

edit: I'll probably only own Nissan and Porsche.

<3 911 turbo

yokotas13
05-20-2011, 05:06 PM
VW for me. other than that, im pretty open
240s are pretty high on the list now though

upsdude
05-20-2011, 05:09 PM
is it just me or are the domestic cars starting to look better than the imports? i really like ford's line up right now.

raz0rbladez909
05-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Any Nissan newer than 02, VW, BMW, MBZ, Audi everything I've seen from these companies have shown significant problem. I had purchased my 08 350z brand new and had to take it back to the dealership at least 5 times for the same issue, got tired of taking it in so I ended up lemoning it, my sisters sentra blew a headgasket at 45k miles, another friend of mine had significant tranny issues in his 07 350z. Mercedes has never impressed me and both cars my parents owned ended up being money pits, parts are highly overpriced, and each had several different electrical problems. VW's seem to have a bunch of electrical problems as well.

thematz
05-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Saturns are huge piles of junk. I bought one with less than 20k miles on it for the wife and have had to replace more on it than the 240.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

boniomario
05-20-2011, 05:34 PM
CHRYSLER, especially Jeep have one now it's been nothing but a pain in my ass !!!

PANGES
05-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Car makes that I wouldn't buy from again? Mazda, Mitsubishi, and most likely Honda.

is it just me or are the domestic cars starting to look better than the imports? i really like ford's line up right now.

I Agree. I've never ever thought about buying a Ford aside from the 03/04 Cobras; however, I've really been liking the direction Ford has been going. The past few days, I've been thinking about getting rid of my 2011 Civic SI next year and picking up a 2011 (or 2012) Mustang GT... that's sort of odd for me, considering I used to own an RB25 240sx, an Evo IX, Evo VIII, and now an SI. lol.

I've never owned any sort of domestic before, but now might be the time to try.

drift freaq
05-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Any Nissan newer than 02, VW, BMW, MBZ, Audi everything I've seen from these companies have shown significant problem. I had purchased my 08 350z brand new and had to take it back to the dealership at least 5 times for the same issue, got tired of taking it in so I ended up lemoning it, my sisters sentra blew a headgasket at 45k miles, another friend of mine had significant tranny issues in his 07 350z. Mercedes has never impressed me and both cars my parents owned ended up being money pits, parts are highly overpriced, and each had several different electrical problems. VW's seem to have a bunch of electrical problems as well.

Says the guy driving an EVO! LOL Mitsubushi. Wait till it starts breaking on you and it will.

Yes I would never own a Mitsushitty, they fall apart its a known fact in the industry and however great EVO's can be they will fall apart to.

Sorry razorblade, you just need to face the cold hard truth.

I would say Honda, though there is one Honda I would own an NSX. Oh and Hyundai.

Thing is quite a few manufacturers I would not own, except for one or two cars from them.
Chevrolet for Instance,I could consider a Vette.
Ford , the new Mustangs are not bad.

Porsche? Used maybe.
Ferrari , well that is a Heritage thing. LOL
BMW, E30 or E36.

Most likely not on the Toyota front even though I did own a SW20 MR2.

RichieSR20
05-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Mazda. I can't stand rotary engines... My 13b was a bigger money pit than my entire 240...

jdm240sx122
05-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Mopar= junk

Had a dodge Durango.... Undersized brakes. Burned oil. Trans problems before 100k miles. Handled like a boat. 10 times heavier than it prob should of been.

Also had a friend with a jeep. Nothin but head aches.

raz0rbladez909
05-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Says the guy driving an EVO! LOL Mitsubushi. Wait till it starts breaking on you and it will.

Yes I would never own a Mitsushitty, they fall apart its a known fact in the industry and however great EVO's can be they will fall apart to.

Sorry razorblade, you just need to face the cold hard truth

Ooookay, I just voiced my opinion on ownership of certain vehicles based on prior experiences on either my part or family members. Sorry if you're offended by what I've said about Nissan and feel the need to defend them anytime you get the opportunity. I haven't noticed any major issues out of all the evolutions and usually any problems are insignifant at best, yes I'm aware of them voiding warranties on modded cars and what not but if you are buying an evo it's usually not going to stay stock. I never said Mitsubishi was the greatest thing out there, in fact there isn't anything else that Mitsubishi makes that I would want to buy except for the Evo. To date I haven't had one single problem, and I don't doubt that I won't have any for quite some time. The Evo's actually hold their value quite well and there is a reason for it no matter what YOU think about them, can't say the same for my 350z when it dropped 10k of its value in less than a year, and guess what if I want to go take it to the track I don't have to buy an extra oil cooler and buy upgraded brake pads before doing so unlike the 370z.

tqstarburst
05-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Ford are POS.

deolio
05-20-2011, 06:20 PM
a lot, but there are some that the manufacturers make that i would buy because the model is cool, but in general the brand sucks.
vw
mitsubishi
ford
bmw
audi
porsche
jeep/chrysler/dodge
saab

jdm240sx122
05-20-2011, 06:20 PM
^Agreed... Lol

g00se
05-20-2011, 06:49 PM
bmw = german trash (bought it new)

My problems with the e46- almost immediately after the warranty and dealer service expired btw.

cracked subframe,
VANOS seals deteriorating to dust
replacing window regulator for the 5th time ( keep in mind I have a coupe and have been buying only dealer parts @ $160 a piece)
cracked radiator expansion tank
having to almost pull the engine just to change the F)&*^ oil pan gasket

honestly the only pluses are the bmw forum and the supporting vendors like bavarian auto who put out super clear DIYs

ronmcdon
05-20-2011, 07:00 PM
VW/Audi would be the only company I wouldn't buy again from.
Honda is fine if I'm buying something like a civic for practical purposes.
Subaru, I don't see myself interested in anything they have in the near future.
Same deal for Nissan.
Mitsubishi, if they kill the evo, honestly there is not an interesting car in their line-up.

Kinda sad, but I have no interest in any car at all right now other than the current Mustang or a used Vette.

camaro379ss
05-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Anything german for me...they are a pain to fix and if you take them somewhere they will empty your pocket book.

As fot the mitsu/nissan arguement goin on....z cars did have a common trans problem and window motors. 2002-2006 nissans were not built well and the 2.5 is prone to headgasket problems. Evos do have a headgasket problem as well 2 of the people in this area have had that problem. HOWEVER if he had not blown that headgasket he would have never gotten the stroker kit and made a badass evo (he is a chiropracter that owns 2 practices around here I believe).

Every car brand has its problems audi/vw turbo problems.......late '90s-early'00s chevy's lower intake problems on their 3l seires motors (3.1,3.8, etc).
Fords are notorious for rusty rotors with very little time of movement.
Hondas are bad with rust and ball joints.
Chryslers eat tie rod ends like candy and pt cruisers blow out lower control arm bushings every 15k.
Subarus blow headgaskets like they are going out of style.
Mercedes leak oil just about everywhere(especially valve covers) as do bmw but coolant not oil.
Mazda 13b's I agree my rx7's were money pits but then so was my sentra....240....g35.....

TheWolf
05-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I've had enough chevy's to where I have no desire ever to own a chevy.

My 2000 montecarlo had dexcool go corrosive. Eat out the heater core and all hoses at 50k. That's ok because the intake manifold gasket failed and dumped all the coolant into the oil pan at 65k. I sold the car and it then blew a headgasket at 90k. Glad it was gone.

My wifes 2002 CamaroZ28 needed just a couple of things to make it to 90k miles. 3 rear ends, 3 drivers window motors, 1 passanger window motor, a battery at 36k, all new brakes

the inlaws 2002 z28 needed 3 window motors, a rear end, a battery, all new brakes, a fuel filter check valve etc. all to make 45k..

Never again would I own one.. I love my 97 540i bmw. one of the last before the electronics invaded.

I've been stoked with my Suzuki Grand Vitara.

upsdude
05-20-2011, 08:03 PM
interesting how kia hasn't been brought up yet and hyunda only a couple times.

camaro379ss
05-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Kia was a terrible brand up until recently as with hyundai. Both have made great changes in the recent couple of years.

Just like saturn was terrible until its last few years where it started using gm " generic chassis' "

Bubbles
05-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Genuinely surprised by the Honda comments.

Want to talk about ricers or lack of styling......sure, but reliability? Get the fuck out of here.

Honda and Toyota are the only two vehicles I can say I would guaranteed buy again, and have.

SimpleS14
05-20-2011, 08:49 PM
VW or Audi

Corbic
05-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Car makes that I wouldn't buy from again? Mazda, Mitsubishi, and most likely Honda.

I Agree. I've never ever thought about buying a Ford aside from the 03/04 Cobras; however, I've really been liking the direction Ford has been going. The past few days, I've been thinking about getting rid of my 2011 Civic SI next year and picking up a 2011 (or 2012) Mustang GT... that's sort of odd for me, considering I used to own an RB25 240sx, an Evo IX, Evo VIII, and now an SI. lol.

I've never owned any sort of domestic before, but now might be the time to try.

Ugh, the Civic Si is the oddity. You've gone from owning bad ass turbo cars to a weak-sauce bloated economy car with a 190hp engine that is in a car that once had... well a 190hp engine but was half the size well over 10 years ago.

5.0 Mustang GT is a god damn beast.

Corbic
05-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I've had enough chevy's to where I have no desire ever to own a chevy.

My 2000 montecarlo had dexcool go corrosive. Eat out the heater core and all hoses at 50k. That's ok because the intake manifold gasket failed and dumped all the coolant into the oil pan at 65k. I sold the car and it then blew a headgasket at 90k. Glad it was gone.

My wifes 2002 CamaroZ28 needed just a couple of things to make it to 90k miles. 3 rear ends, 3 drivers window motors, 1 passanger window motor, a battery at 36k, all new brakes

the inlaws 2002 z28 needed 3 window motors, a rear end, a battery, all new brakes, a fuel filter check valve etc. all to make 45k..

Ugh..yeah, I'll leave this alone. Maybe upgrade your rear next team... while 4th Gens have interiors that look like they where made by Fisher Price and rattle like BBs in a can, I have to raise an eyebrow to such frequent rear-end and window failues.

Also, brake-job, fuel filter... that basic maintenance. Battery at 36? So what, how many years old? With all those window motors sounds like a wire may have gotten screwed up, power drain.

fightinchunk
05-20-2011, 10:42 PM
i've had good experiences with all makes i've had so far. 3 different volvos, 2 sacrificed themselves to save my life, subaru and nissan.

knock on wood

jontron5000
05-20-2011, 11:18 PM
I thought I'd never buy another Nissan after the first one I had got, a zenki s14. I would be driving then at a stoplight the motor would just randomly die. I literally had to crank it for 30 seconds just to get it start up again. 30 seconds feels like an eternity when people are all honking at you when the light is green and you're stuck. I think it was a timing problem but anyways, sold it for what I bought it for to the previous owner's friend. I have yet to start driving my s13 hatch but my swap is done, just waiting on the essentials for driving, like brakes and a clutch. I can't wait.

In the meantime, I have been driving my dad's 95 Jeep Cherokee. I believe he bought it with 150,000 miles on it and today it has over 300,000. The thing still drives strong, although it is very slow and extremely gas inefficient. Plus it got hit on the rear door by a BMW 5 series, the hood and bumper of the BMW was destroyed, where as the jeep only has a dent on it.

I guess it boils down to hoping your car isn't a piece after the years and miles roll on while you own it

ayuaddict
05-20-2011, 11:38 PM

Want to talk about ricers or lack of styling......sure, but reliability? Get the fuck out of here.

Honda and Toyota are the only two vehicles I can say I would guaranteed buy again, and have.

That depends, I've owned (and currently own) manual transmission civics and had absolutely zero issues and i love them for that. But I find myself working on (customer's) Acuras and more "upscale" Hondas (especially with auto transmissions) on a daily basis, but that really does go for any manufacturer, the fancier it is, the higher chance of shit not lasting forever. But that is just a really American way of thinking where we expect everything to work well forever, and NOW. We wont open that can of worms in this thread however.

turbobrick
05-20-2011, 11:54 PM
i've had good experiences with all makes i've had so far. 3 different volvos, 2 sacrificed themselves to save my life, subaru and nissan.

knock on wood

Same here. I've owned 7 cars so far, 3 volvos, 2 toyotas, 1 nissan and 1 mercedes. Although I usually do my research before I buy a car to make sure it isnt shit. Also, the newest car I've owned was my 91 mr2.

NOLA350Z
05-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Daewoo. I know I'm probably one of the few that bought one of these cars and needless to say it sucks. Daewoo Leganza was my first car

Walperstyle
05-21-2011, 02:56 AM
I wouldn't say I hate any brand, but there is some years in some cars I would avoid. 90's VWs with Mexican engines. When the Fiancee has blown up two of them, thats a bad sign.

Honda. never again. has anybody else developed irrational hatred for certain makes or models?

Wow you are really depressed and irrational from your friend in Japan. Honda is a good company. Get your stuff together!

daftphunk
05-21-2011, 04:01 AM
Would never buy a VW just by seeing how much a pain in the ass my friend's GTI is. It's relatively stock and though he doesn't really go through 'regular' maintenance, he probably has spent 6/7k on just repairs alone from the stealership

s14canyoncity
05-21-2011, 04:46 AM
i mainly stick with 3 brands ... Nissan- Toyota-Honda......

will never buy an Euro cars

JeKyL
05-21-2011, 06:04 AM
I will most likely never buy a car with a v6 + motor, pain in the ass to work on. So far I've had a vw, dodge, subaru, Nissan, mazda, honda, fiat only problems the vw blew a headgasket, dodge oil pan ripped off the block when it got hit by a rock crazy huh! Subie no issues did maintenance beat it up even crashed into a church and flew off a 5 foot ledge and car took the hit no problem, nissan so far had a bunch of s13s that typical old wear stuff things needed changing, Honda tranny busted, and fiat I flipped a truck and am still alive thanks to the seatbelt :), take care of your cars and if it breaks sue somebody :) haha jk

TheWolf
05-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Ugh..yeah, I'll leave this alone. Maybe upgrade your rear next team... while 4th Gens have interiors that look like they where made by Fisher Price and rattle like BBs in a can, I have to raise an eyebrow to such frequent rear-end and window failues.

Also, brake-job, fuel filter... that basic maintenance. Battery at 36? So what, how many years old? With all those window motors sounds like a wire may have gotten screwed up, power drain.

This was the pre-Fuel filter that has some check valve drain back thing. Not the easy to get at one. The one that you've got to drop the tank to get at. Which you have to drop the rear end to get to the tank.

All the batteries didn't crap out. The positive terminals broke off.

There is no upgrading the rear end unless you want to swap it out for a 12bolt rear for $1500 or install a custom 9". It's pretty much screwball. It's the same rear gearset that was used since the 1985 model. The V6 and V8's all got same rear end. Same with the power window motor. 1985-02. Which is pop riveted in place. The shit is ghey as hell. Rumor has it, you can get some cadillac motor that lasts 2x as long. I forgot. The cats in both have been replaced under warranty.

My suzuki still is running on stock battery, stock rotors at 70k and 5 years. It's not impossible to make parts that last.

CrimsonRockett
05-21-2011, 08:01 AM

Agreed. Besides the shitty service I've received at some Honda dealerships (not like it's Honda's fault directly, more like the employee giving them a bad name), I've really liked Honda's for the most part. Fairly reliable compared to most other cars. Friend has an Odyssey with over 500,000 miles, still running on the original motor and transmission I believe. If that isn't reliable, I don't know what is.

Problem with Honda and automatic transmissions is that they weren't directly made by Honda if I remember correctly. At the same time, most owners don't bother flushing their automatic (or even manual) transmissions. Can't expect them to last forever on old fluid(s).

Pontiac (or GM all together). I'd never own one. We had so many problems with our Grand Am it was ridiculous. One problem after another with that piece of shit.

I'll definitely stick with Honda/Nissan/Toyota (and Acura/Infiniti/Lexus). Every single used car I've owned (and kept), I add more than 20,000 miles in the first year alone. Never any issues, but then again, I always go the extra mile and give them all complete tune ups, replace any leaking/bad seals, sensors, etc.

People have to do some research before buying new and/or used cars. Find out what the common problems are and make sure they're either taken care of or at least be aware that X part might fail.

VNG704
05-21-2011, 08:22 AM
so in a nutshell, every car make is shitty, got it.

HyperTek
05-21-2011, 10:04 AM
dodge/Chrysler - had a caravan in the family and that thing had problems, dad had an intrepid and it developed problems, dad's wife got a pt cruiser and that is developing problems.

Chevrolet - i jut got a 99 blazer from my pops, trying to fix that now lol.

To me, if you work on cars alot, all the litle issues are no big deal.. tho if i had a new car under warrantee i probably too would rather them fix issues.

Koukimonsta18
05-21-2011, 10:11 AM

I hate Hondas. But I do like S2000's. I had a Honda guy come up to me "hey you race your car?" I said "No it's stock". He replied "oh so it's camed?" fucking idiot. :hahano:

Gnnr
05-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Dodge/Chrysler

Fuck your piece of shit products.

GeneralLee562
05-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Mercedes Benz never again POS cars, POS company...bought a brand new 07 E350 back in 07. The car ran flawless for about a year and half. Engine started ticking, transmission went out etc...20K in repairs which warranty only covered half of it.

Fu*k MBZ.

xnissan240sx
05-21-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm with you on Audi, VW and Benz. I had nothing but problems with my A4 and S4.. I bought them before I started working on them all the time. VW just makes a shit product period.

VW or Audi never ever

Also any MBZ

VW, fucking horrible cars to work on and one thing breaks leads to the car blowing up or trying to commit suicide.

VW or Audi

I agree with all you guys. I work at VW and Audi dealer in the shop and some of the shit that I fix i cant believe the poor quality the part was made in the first place. I can give you guys one good example.

Working on a customers car a few days ago, got a complaint that the car was over heating. Took it into the shop looked and right away i knew it was the water pump. Quoted that out for her and she was fine with it because it was all still under warranty. When I took the water pump off it was horrible! All the fins from the water pump had been broken off in tiny little pieces. Took forever to fish those all out. ( give you an idea of what it kinda looked like. Just instead of two big pieces add multiple ones!)http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/danxav13/Car%20stuff/IMG_1410.jpg
Went to the parts room to get the new warranty part and when i open the box to pull out the new part i look at it and just shake my head. I shake my head because as i have asked around the shop most of the guys i work with have replace a dozen or more of these, all under warranty, and yet they haven't thought to you know make the fins metal or anything to prevent this from happening after owning your brand new car for less then a month. ( Give you an idea of what it looks like brand new)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411zq5WqlbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thats the reason I say VW makes some shitty cars and products.

jontron5000
05-21-2011, 03:42 PM

Aren't their cars built in Mexico? I believe that is why they can sell their entry level Jettas and GTI's for so cheap

ronmcdon
05-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Eh, they're not that cheap.
Current gen base Jetta/Golfs have gone through a lot of cost-cutting (torsion beam vs. irs, etc), yet the pricing is about the same.

Matej
05-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Own a new vehicle.
When it is not at the dealership for repairs.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/milyncha/Animal%20Memes/MediumThumbnail-10.jpg

Future240
05-21-2011, 06:38 PM
CHRYSLER, especially Jeep have one now it's been nothing but a pain in my ass !!!

This.

I have a disdain for Chrysler in general.

Mikey213
05-21-2011, 07:09 PM
I've had/have 2 nissans 1 Volvo 1 porsche 1 Benz and 1 of the dumbest cars ever made = a 90s Chrysler seabring. My young dumb ass thought it would be a fun and different project car. Tranny blew to fucking peices, electrical problems all over the place abs would randomly kick in (on smooth ass road). Took a hairpin once and the control arm broke along with a caliper. ahaha various other things I forgot. I've never really had a problem with any of my cars but that one.

DMiller
05-21-2011, 07:44 PM
VW - wiring catches on fire, blows fuses every other month, general whore to work on
Honda - perfectly good motor burned oil randomly, and loved to go through valve seals
Ford - just crap for cars that fall apart and blow spark plugs out the cylinder heads like its general maintenance...
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep - completely random things fail for no known reason, shit for build quality..

ayuaddict
05-21-2011, 08:52 PM
I hate Hondas. But I do like S2000's. I had a Honda guy come up to me "hey you race your car?" I said "No it's stock". He replied "oh so it's camed?" fucking idiot. :hahano:

Was probably me.

BDMs14
05-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Any canadian built gm/chrysler assembled with chinese made parts all while you are been told you are buying american.

BestOneLeft
05-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Dodge Diesel..Cummins...I HATE YOUUU!!!!

Kleistc
05-22-2011, 01:32 AM
why the hatred for hondas, mine have all been reliable as hell and i tracked the shit out of em and then went to work the next day. I would never buy a dsm again. The one i have now was a blast for the 4 months out of the last year it was on the road. Breaks constantly.

g00se
05-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Dodge Diesel..Cummins...I HATE YOUUU!!!!

I thought the cummins was the one thing dodge trucks had going for it?
The chevy 6.5/6.2 are pure trash.

Corbic
05-22-2011, 11:49 AM

True. Old Dodge Cummins trannies suck. The chassis is alright.

The old GM 6.5/6.2 is shit. It's late 70's SBC garbage modified to be a diesel and is 80% of the reason "Americans Hate diesel". The new engines are unrelated I believe.

BestOneLeft
05-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Dodge trucks are beefy, frame and chassis are strong.

Engine repairs are costly and parts are not cheap.

When they breakdown troubleshooting is a bbitch

The dash always cracks

And not really reliable (at least my experience)

driftsilvias13
05-23-2011, 02:31 PM
I agree with all you guys. I work at VW and Audi dealer in the shop and some of the shit that I fix i cant believe the poor quality the part was made in the first place. I can give you guys one good example.

Working on a customers car a few days ago, got a complaint that the car was over heating. Took it into the shop looked and right away i knew it was the water pump. Quoted that out for her and she was fine with it because it was all still under warranty. When I took the water pump off it was horrible! All the fins from the water pump had been broken off in tiny little pieces. Took forever to fish those all out. ( give you an idea of what it kinda looked like. Just instead of two big pieces add multiple ones!)http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/danxav13/Car%20stuff/IMG_1410.jpg
Went to the parts room to get the new warranty part and when i open the box to pull out the new part i look at it and just shake my head. I shake my head because as i have asked around the shop most of the guys i work with have replace a dozen or more of these, all under warranty, and yet they haven't thought to you know make the fins metal or anything to prevent this from happening after owning your brand new car for less then a month. ( Give you an idea of what it looks like brand new)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411zq5WqlbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One car that I feel exactly the same is BMW. The coolant expansion tank on the e46s is plastic and fails on every car. Why the fuck would you make it plastic. Of course it will fail.

240sxcure
05-23-2011, 02:46 PM
I've owned examples of each make that people have written off that have held up pretty well to 200K+ doesn't mean I would write off the entire make maybe just scrutizne a particular model if I where to purchase it again.

Cars are mass produced items compiled of mass produced parts you can only expect that some part will fail at some point.

koukikat180sx
05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
will never buy a jeep... i drove one around for 6 months after i got my license. that truck was in the shop every other month. (btw, if you have one, never take it to the jeep/chrysler dealer in alhambra... bunch of morons who work there.) i took it in for something (can't remember this was over 10 years ago... fuck i'm old. T_T) and i got the car back, the steering wheel was put on crooked. wtf! took it back the next day... turn signals don't work. wtf! took it back the next day again... finally fixed it.

won't buy a GMC either. my parents have replaced the transmission on their suburban 4 times. -_-

daryl337
05-23-2011, 02:52 PM
After working as an automotive warranty adjustor for several years, I need to say this.

Land Rover.

Stay away from land rovers. OMG stay away. Seriously.

wangan_cruiser
05-24-2011, 05:23 PM
ive only owned nissan and a volvo

experienced with nissans is ok. its normal to have a used car with wear and tear. plus with spirited driving. i do most of the work so its even better. as for volvo, it suck! tranny suck. you cant rebuild it, it has to be bought from dealership. at 70k the tranny go shit.

not a good experience with a euro car

wangan_cruiser
05-24-2011, 05:25 PM
will never buy a jeep... i drove one around for 6 months after i got my license. that truck was in the shop every other month. (btw, if you have one, never take it to the jeep/chrysler dealer in alhambra... bunch of morons who work there.) i took it in for something (can't remember this was over 10 years ago... fuck i'm old. T_T) and i got the car back, the steering wheel was put on crooked. wtf! took it back the next day... turn signals don't work. wtf! took it back the next day again... finally fixed it.

won't buy a GMC either. my parents have replaced the transmission on their suburban 4 times. -_-

anyways we currently have a jeep and seems to be fine. no issues. i think it depends on how you drive it. i think. dont flame me haha

Taniguchi_Is_#1
05-24-2011, 05:51 PM
no more toyota's. bought one and it died from some unknown oil starvation issue and rod knock after one week. chalked it up to "i bought a modded car and it fucked up." then, i DD'ed my parent's toyota camry for about a month to save on gas. it started rod knocking because the engines apparently have oil consumption and sludging problems. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

beeracing s14
05-24-2011, 08:11 PM
females look down on me because i dont drive an Audi BMW Mini or MBZ.. Oh well, at least ive got all my savings secured. LOL

jontron5000
05-24-2011, 08:49 PM
females look down on me because i dont drive an Audi BMW Mini or MBZ.. Oh well, at least ive got all my savings secured. LOL

i'm sure they'll love you more for your monetary worth vs. what brand you drive lol

Bubbles
05-24-2011, 09:32 PM
That depends, I've owned (and currently own) manual transmission civics and had absolutely zero issues and i love them for that. But I find myself working on (customer's) Acuras and more "upscale" Hondas (especially with auto transmissions) on a daily basis, but that really does go for any manufacturer, the fancier it is, the higher chance of shit not lasting forever. But that is just a really American way of thinking where we expect everything to work well forever, and NOW. We wont open that can of worms in this thread however.

I've never owned a car with an auto transmission and I have heard some of Honda's more current vehicles aren't as great but they would still match the rest if not better I would guess. I've only owned mid 90's manual transmission Hondas and I will go to my grave saying they are the best car you can purchase economically. It's the reason I drive one to work every day and have forever. They're boring as fuck but good god are they easy on the wallet.

an_orange_s2k
05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
i've had honda, toyota, lexus, nissan, and mazda. havent had a bad experience with any of them although i was always afraid my rx7's were going to blow so i sold them after a short while.

fliprayzin240sx
05-25-2011, 01:53 AM
I just bought a damn 325xi E46 wagon to drive cross country in. Hope I wont be typing in here how much I hate this car in a couple of weeks.

sidewaysil80
05-25-2011, 01:57 AM
got the wife a cpo 07' mazda 5...the brake master cylinder blew at 30,000 miles. their are unidentified clunking noises throughout the suspension (i've checked EVERY bushing), the front bumper tabs always pop out (petty i know but still a pain in the ass), the damn key battery is dead after like 5 months of replacing it, and the locks never work right. I WILL NEVER BUY A MAZDA AGAIN (unless i get back into fd's which is pretty unlikely)

arck001
05-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Ive worked at several shops/stealerships so Ive worked on pretty much every car brand.

All European cars have premature problems. They all leak/burn oil like no ones business. All have electrical problems, and most have water pump problems.
BMW, Benz, Volvo, VW, Fiat, Peugeot, Saab, Porsche, Jaguar, Range Rover and so on.

Mitsubishi, Kia, Daewoo, Hyundai, Saturn, GM all suck.
Most Nissans, Mazdas, Subarus, and Hondas leak oil.

Fords have tranny and powersteering problems.
Chevys have little annoying problems all around.

The car with the least problems by far are Toyotas.

For the consumer to make a car last as intended, one must be religious about the maintenance on their cars, which most people don't do.

RyanS13
05-25-2011, 03:37 AM
Dodge. Our family had a 02 doge caravan, BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT EVER.
The most electrical problems I've ever seen.
All of the instruments had some kind of problem with it.

The lights for the gauges would work whenever they wanted, the ac didn't work, you couldn't press the button to skip to the next song on a cd or it freeze the radio until you restarted the car. The only way to skip to the next song would be to go backwards through all the songs until you got to the one you wanted.

The passenger and drivers side rear window things wouldn't crack open like they where supposed to, both drivers side and passengers side front windows would have to roll down and up in slow increments because the window motors would get too hot and stop working, so you had to let them cool down. Took about 10 minutes just to roll the window back up.

And my neighbors g35 has all kinds of electrical problems too. The window motors keep going out, the gauges only work sometimes, and the radio doesn't work at all.

97nismo
05-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Sister has: 05 vw beetle

runs okay kinda sluggish, terrible gas mileage
little shit has broken such as the glove box hatch, and smells like crayons

driftsilvias13
05-25-2011, 10:48 AM
I just bought a damn 325xi E46 wagon to drive cross country in. Hope I wont be typing in here how much I hate this car in a couple of weeks.

Just check the coolant expansion tank for leaks. The water pump likes to break too because its plastic.

bik
05-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I think is funny nobody say something about DSMs yet O_o

bluuuurr
05-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Jeep. 97 Cherokees to be more precise. In the 6 months that I owned one I suffered a fuse box melting, and a coolant flood in my interior cabin. Plus the pile of shit got worse mpg than my 240sx.

stevenwhite1989
05-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I have daily driven my zenki since 2005, only having to do regular maintenance, replace the sunroof glass, and a fuel pump. 250K+ on the chassis. I own a 86 4runner with 275K and blew a headgasket two weekends ago. I have a 92 yota pick up, with close to 200K on it, and still running strong!

Things I would avoid, VW for sure (friend cant keep his running), I would avoid a stock s2000 differential, other than that, I cant really say that I would avoid anything else.

Kleistc
05-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I think is funny nobody say something about DSMs yet O_o
i did in my post lol, i said id never own one again after im done parting out the one i have now.

fliprayzin240sx
05-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Just check the coolant expansion tank for leaks. The water pump likes to break too because its plastic.

Yah, supposedly the last owner just replaced the radiator and expansion tank beginning of this year. Water pump is the next thing on my list when I get to VA.

VROOOM
05-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Sister has: 05 vw beetle

runs okay kinda sluggish, terrible gas mileage
little shit has broken such as the glove box hatch, and smells like crayons

lol, we have a Jetta in our fleet at work that smells like crayons too. its this sealant they dip the chassis in to prevent rusting i heard. on hot days we have see the car drip a waxy substance. crazy

Future240
05-25-2011, 02:23 PM
So that's why my cousins jetta smells like crayons.

97nismo
05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
I think the dash and door panels are made of crayons

vw is so shitty period

exitspeed
05-27-2011, 11:50 AM
I think the dash and door panels are made of crayons

vw is so shitty period

My mom had a Jetta way back in the day and the door panels were literally made from shitty cardboard. They were pealing away and you could see the layers of paper.

IntensePower
05-27-2011, 11:51 AM
I will never own Mitsubishi again... that is all.

gearhead55
05-27-2011, 07:26 PM
lol, we have a Jetta in our fleet at work that smells like crayons too. its this sealant they dip the chassis in to prevent rusting i heard. on hot days we have see the car drip a waxy substance. crazy

dude! wtf i've been in a couple chick friend's jettas and a bug that smelled distinctly like crayons. I've always wondered why that was. My old GTI would drip a waxy substance from the bottom of the doors when it got really hot, but it never had that crayon smell. It must be a type of sealant that was only used in certain years.

Omarius Maximus
05-29-2011, 03:51 AM
I'll never purchase another Japanese car again. So boring and cheap.

godrifttoday
05-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Never again Lamborghini !! Maintenance is a bitch! U must give an arm and a leg! To service the sucker

az_240
05-29-2011, 10:01 AM
90s Jeep Cherokee, Chevy Astrovan, VW and Volvo come to mind.

Bbsalexaz
05-29-2011, 10:36 AM
I like nissan, ford, and amc.

I had a 99 corolla, finicky, liked to kill motor mounts, sun roof hated life, window regulator just started failing spontaneously.

I drive a saturn time to time, and besides the trans mysteriously killing it self, 1200 rpm idle issue, scetchy radio, leaks, finicky shifter, and everything rattling, I guess its fine.

1990 jeep wrangler. NO ISSUES. Perfect fun fucking vehicle. Downside, no ac.

I'm really in love with the 1994 nissan sentras. would be a fucking great daily.

WanganRunner
05-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Never again Lamborghini !! Maintenance is a bitch! U must give an arm and a leg! To service the sucker

What did you have?

I've never owned anything truly awful, but my wife had a VW and it was pretty terrible. I'd try it again though if I had one built in Germany, this was a Mexican-built Jetta. Boo.

At the moment I'm lusting after 60's Alfas though, so my unreliability tolerance is fairly high.

godrifttoday
05-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Gallardo... it's cool for that bling Factor but that's it lol.. Got it used for 109k... But if u think u can afford one u probably can't lol.. People don't consider the maintenance .. But got rid of it

nismo skyline
05-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Gallardo... it's cool for that bling Factor but that's it lol.. Got it used for 109k... But if u think u can afford one u probably can't lol.. People don't consider the maintenance .. But got rid of it

The gallardo was cool, but whats next?
You should of picked up the gt3 rs instead

godrifttoday
05-29-2011, 01:53 PM
The gallardo was cool, but whats next?
You should of picked up the gt3 rs instead

Well u drove it... I was considering a f430, I never driven an gt3... But I was only considering if the stock market does what I hope it will do!! Then we talking!

nismo skyline
05-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Well u drove it... I was considering a f430, I never driven an gt3... But I was only considering if the stock market does what I hope it will do!! Then we talking!

F car maintenance is even worse than the lambo, they eat up clutches almost as fast as tires, but if you get a new 458 they come with a 7 yr maintenance program. its a no brainer, plus the 430 looks dated already

godrifttoday
05-29-2011, 02:11 PM
F car maintenance is even worse than the lambo, they eat up clutches almost as fast as tires, but if you get a new 458 they come with a 7 yr maintenance program. its a no brainer, plus the 430 looks dated already

7 year? Really? But is the cost 400k? I don't know if I want to shed out that much? U know I don't buy shit unless it's discounted.

nismo skyline
05-29-2011, 02:21 PM
7 year? Really? But is the cost 400k? I don't know if I want to shed out that much? U know I don't buy shit unless it's discounted.

LOL they are only 250k OTD

godrifttoday
05-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Oh dam... Might consider

rb25_s13*CHUKI
05-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Honestly , Nissan, Gmc,Vw,honda,subaru are the ones I'll never own again. Mazda,mitsubishi,toyota are the best cars I've ever owned and had the least problems with

redline racer510
05-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Here's my list:
Ford
VW
Audi
Saab
Mazda
Porsche
Jaguar
Lincoln
Mercury
Renault
Citroen
Chrysler
Dodge
Volvo
probably some other car makes but those are from first hand experiences.

redline1320
05-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Porsche- because its for guy w/ small dicks or chicks haha

WanganRunner
05-29-2011, 07:20 PM

Yeah, the Gallardo is as much Audi as it is Lamborghini anyway, and is thus comparatively cheaper/easier to maintain compared to an F-Car or a Murci or something else. AFAIK though, a Gallardo clutch is more expensive than a 360/430 clutch, and it wears out just as often.

EDIT: Redline, what Citroen(s) and Peugeot(s) have you owned?

josephin510
05-30-2011, 03:52 AM
yes i had a crx with that wouldnt get spark no matter what... I had it for two months. i called some honda feinds and in the end they called it cursed.sold

I worked on a accord that after i did both the timing belts water pump etc the block cracked. Changed motor for the block to crack once more.in limbo

Tranny job on a 06 accord took me so long to finish... After install that low mileage tranny shifted like it had a shift kit.in limbo

02 honda civic that would do everything wrong... months later found a rats nest. they nibbled on the wire insulation every were from the tail light harness to the main.

I dont not hate. I Strongly dislike honda

neonaire
05-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Ford, because my last vehicle got crapped me out when i had it for a year

redline racer510
05-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Porsche- because its for guy w/ small dicks or chicks haha

Have you ever done a service on one of those things? The dealer charges 8-10 hours of labor for one of their routine maintenance intervals. Yes the legend is true most people that do drive Porsches are looking to compensate for something in their lives, hell even Southpark made an episode depicting this.Proof Of Rich Spoiled Children Having Everything

redline racer510
05-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Found these

VOLVO (http://www.all-acronyms.com/VOLVO) - Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object (http://www.all-acronyms.com/VOLVO/Very_Odd_Looking_Vehicular_Object/62950)
BUICK (http://www.all-acronyms.com/BUICK) - Big Ugly Indestructible Car Killer (http://www.all-acronyms.com/BUICK/Big_Ugly_Indestructible_Car_Killer/62151)
TOYOTA (http://www.all-acronyms.com/TOYOTA) - Too Often Yankees Overprice This Auto (http://www.all-acronyms.com/TOYOTA/Too_Often_Yankees_Overprice_This_Auto/62914)
KIA (http://www.all-acronyms.com/KIA) - Killed in Action (http://www.all-acronyms.com/KIA/Killed_in_Action/96759)
VW (http://www.all-acronyms.com/VW) - Virtually Worthless (http://www.all-acronyms.com/VW/Virtually_Worthless/62951)
Ford (http://www.all-acronyms.com/FORD) - Found On Road Dead (http://www.all-acronyms.com/FORD/Found_On_Road_Dead/62294)
AUDI (http://www.all-acronyms.com/AUDI) - Accelerates Under Demonic Influence (http://www.all-acronyms.com/AUDI/Accelerates_Under_Demonic_Influence/62083)
GM (http://www.all-acronyms.com/GM) - General Maintenance (http://www.all-acronyms.com/GM/General_Maintenance/62350)
BMW (http://www.all-acronyms.com/BMW) - Big Money Works (http://www.all-acronyms.com/BMW/Big_Money_Works/1148640)
BMW (http://www.all-acronyms.com/BMW) - Brutal Money Waster (http://www.all-acronyms.com/BMW/Brutal_Money_Waster/1148649)
Buick (http://www.all-acronyms.com/BUICK) - Big Ugly Import Car Killer (http://www.all-acronyms.com/BUICK/Big_Ugly_Import_Car_Killer/1148652)
DODGE (http://www.all-acronyms.com/DODGE) - Damn Old Dirty Gas Eater (http://www.all-acronyms.com/DODGE/Damn_Old_Dirty_Gas_Eater/1148666)
SAAB (http://www.all-acronyms.com/SAAB) - Send Another Automobile Back (http://www.all-acronyms.com/SAAB/Send_Another_Automobile_Back/1148779)
HYUNDAI (http://www.all-acronyms.com/HYUNDAI) - Hope You Understand Nothing's Driveable And Inexpensive (http://www.all-acronyms.com/HYUNDAI/Hope_You_Understand_Nothing%27s_Driveable_And_Inex pensive/1260207)
Ford (http://www.all-acronyms.com/FORD) - Fix Or Repair Daily (http://www.all-acronyms.com/FORD/Fix_Or_Repair_Daily/62296)
SAAB (http://www.all-acronyms.com/SAAB) - Swedish Automobiles Always Breakdown (http://www.all-acronyms.com/SAAB/Swedish_Automobiles_Always_Breakdown/62805)
BMW (http://www.all-acronyms.com/BMW) - Big Money Waster (http://www.all-acronyms.com/BMW/Big_Money_Waster/982279)
JEEP (http://www.all-acronyms.com/JEEP) - Just Empty Every Pocket (http://www.all-acronyms.com/JEEP/Just_Empty_Every_Pocket/1148258)

LOUD240
05-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Ford / fools oughta ride donkeys

MikeRWK
05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Fords too many fuckin transmission problems
Anything Dodge with an auto trans
any fwd gm product

ESmorz
05-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Nissan.

Ever.

Touge Noob S13
05-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Yeah, the Gallardo is as much Audi as it is Lamborghini anyway, and is thus comparatively cheaper/easier to maintain compared to an F-Car or a Murci or something else. AFAIK though, a Gallardo clutch is more expensive than a 360/430 clutch, and it wears out just as often.

EDIT: Redline, what Citroen(s) and Peugeot(s) have you owned?
The Japanese retrofit parts from SR's and other stuff to make their Ferraris more reliable.
http://ksp-eng.co.jp/tyiz/328/328vpro.html

Mark D
05-30-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm going to say Vauxhall - this is the British version of GM

The only thing I can give it is that the car never let me down. It was however designed and put together like an utter piece of sh1t. I had so many problems with the car you wouldn't believe, everything seemed to break. It had rattles, squeaks coming out of its earholes and was tinny as hell.

On the other hand, I am very very surprised to see people slating manufacturers like Audi and VW. Over here German cars are extremely well respected especially BMW's

Most cars over here go on average for maybe 120k miles and there aren't many cars you see for sale with over 150k

BMW's... if you look at ones for sale there are literally ones there with 250k and still going. There are loads of them too! Very surprised

Ford are good cars over here as well but definately for a buyer with a low budget!

brudacille
05-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Never buying a Nissan again, complete JUNK!!! HAHA j/k, I'll always own a 240 :)

WanganRunner
05-30-2011, 06:58 PM
The Japanese retrofit parts from SR's and other stuff to make their Ferraris more reliable.

^^
That's cool. I know people do this with the Lucas stuff on old Jags, but I'd never seen anyone do it on a Ferrari. It would impact the value, but on a 308 or 328, so what?

Porsche service is so bad because the engines frequently have to come out, and they have to come out from below. The cars break infrequently though, at least most of the aircooled models.

5pecialist
07-15-2011, 07:36 PM
F car maintenance is even worse than the lambo, they eat up clutches almost as fast as tires
Who told you that tale?

"The" Japanese, huh? More like one owner. Keep the classic ones maintained & there is no need to do such a thing.

DataXUnknown
07-16-2011, 12:45 AM
I have developed an absolute HATRED to BMW DRIVERS.

Every fucking person who drives a BMW either drives like a complete asshat, or IS a complete fucking prick. I don't know why, but it's 99% of BMW drivers. Other car brands like Porsche and Benz have like a 60% or so of douches, but man, fucking BMW, I dunno what it is with them...

KiLLeR2001
07-16-2011, 12:53 AM

Every fucking person who drives a BMW either drives like a complete asshat, or IS a complete fucking prick. I don't know why, but it's 99% of BMW drivers. Other car brands like Porsche and Benz have like a 60% or so of douches, but man, fucking BMW, I dunno what it is with them...

You have now entered my world. Welcome. I refuse to drive these cars in fear of turning into... one of them.

pincheturbo
07-16-2011, 01:25 AM
not much Subaru in here. i wonder whats up with that

Gnnr
07-16-2011, 06:58 AM

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/rightonguysp1.gif

ayuaddict
07-16-2011, 10:19 AM
I think I'll buy an E36.

Just to test out that theory, you know.

outtacontrol240
07-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda .. twice already a 2003 coupe and a 99 honda accord both have transmission problem right about 100k miles.

fckillerbee
07-16-2011, 11:48 AM
subaru's are pretty fucking reliable.

Once had a customer tell me their subaru was from the late 80's. over 300k miles on the motor...only thing they had to replace was the back windshield cause the rubber rotted so much it fell off the car while driving. She said it was a pain in the ass to find that windshield for it too. lol

i guess if people aren't buying shit for it, shit isn't available. lol

5pecialist
07-16-2011, 03:51 PM
subaru's are pretty fucking reliable.
*except SVX - every one I've gone to check out has has major issues :(

word sux
07-16-2011, 03:59 PM
most manufacturers have their turds. I would NEVER buy a nissan if it wasn't a sports car nissan normal cars are pure shit bags.

I think my most hated car would have to be audi's. I HATE audi's so many problems with these cars its a joke

thrax
07-17-2011, 01:50 AM
Anything German and Chrysler.

Most of my family has had Chryslers since the 1960s and stopped buying in the mid-90s.

Tokona-x
07-17-2011, 03:06 AM
honda, and mazda... Horrible experience with them both.....not to mention the guys at the honda dealership were total DICK'S!! car was under warranty walked in one guy says it covered and takes off to lunch and the other guy says its not covered WTF! and he still wanted to argue even though I had my paper work worst part is the manager didnt even care to step in and help ....so glad I got rid of that POS! :ddog:

BongateerZ32
07-17-2011, 08:33 AM
owned a bmw once, and never again. had an e36, and common problems are ridiculous. weak rear shock mounts. weak door handles. ignition barrel that spins forever. blower motors that go out constantly due to poor placement. it seems everything that isnt the drivetrain is under-engineered. people on bimmer forums call weak suspension mounting points "efficiency and weight savings." i will admit their drivetrains arent terrible though. thats not to say it makes up for everything else. you cant marinate kobe beef in piss and call it tasty.

usdm180sx
07-17-2011, 10:03 AM
you cant marinate kobe beef in piss and call it tasty.

LOL :rofl: My dad had an e36 325is and it was the best handling stock car I've ever driven. Good thing he got rid of it before it started breaking down. The SBC brake computer on my Benz W211 E320 broke. Good thing that part is warranted for 10 years because it costs about $4000.

jesse_s13
07-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Wont buy:
VW,AUDI,DODGE(unless its a cummins),Benz,Honda,Mazda...

Will buy:
Nissan,Toyota,Chevy,Ford...

c4lvin
07-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I won't ever buy a VW again. Horrible experiences with them.

Perfect Balance
07-17-2011, 12:37 PM
From my experiences at working a Hyundai/Mitsubishi dealer, I've found that Mitsubishi is absolute crap. Hyundai was crap until late 2000s, the cars now are very nice and very reliable. The only thing Mitsubishi has going for them is they've somehow found a way to keep bulbs from ever blowing on the newer cars. I've never replaced a bulb on the current gen Mitsubishi cars in the 4 years that I've worked there. I've replaced one tail light on an Eclipse due to an accident.

Other than that, from the thousands of used cars we've done over the years:

Anything GM
Anything Dodge/Chryslers/Jeep
VW/Audi (cool cars to drive, but suck to own/work on/pay to be worked on)
Ford vehicles up until 2008 or so.

Honda's are ok, but they don't recommend doing flushes to the transmissions, so they end up going out all the time. We've had multiple Hondas that ran perfect again after doing a transmission flush.

My absolute least favorite vehicle is the Chevy Blazer, followed closely by the 1935-1996 F150. I can't believe they built that pos for so many years without changing a thing on it.

Antihero983
07-17-2011, 12:48 PM
In no particular order:

Any Chrysler past 1970.
Any Ford past 1969
Any Chevrolet that is not a Corvette
Saabs.
Watercooled VWs
Mercedes
Audi
Mitsubishi. I know I'm a subaru employee and owner, but fuck me, I have never come across a Japanese car company with so many QC issues!
Any Nissan that isn't a Datsun. After 7 years of hell with my 240sx, and 3 years of hell with my wife's old maxima, I have nothing but disdain for newer Nissan products. I still do love my 78 Z.

Prime
07-18-2011, 01:57 AM
GM - I've seen too much inexcusable shit from them. And, I don't care how much power the Corvette motors make, they're 1960's Nova motors with EFI and coilpacks. Oh, and no one else uses transverse leaf-springs because they suck.

VW/Audi - I have a couple friends who are hardcore VDubbers. One car (ONE CAR): 10k broken (not worn out) clutch, 15k Fried ECU/Water Pump failure, 20k electrical fire (never explained)/Secondary water pump failure, 25k DBW Throttle failure, 30k Catastrophic transmission failure/DBW Throttle failure/Fried ECU, 35k Timing belt snaps piston contacts valves. Yeah. I won't even go into the rest of it.

Toyota - Soulless money grubbing whores. The product is okay, but I hate how they've become so damned generic.

Chrysler - I do not pay taxes so they can continue to make shitty cars that lose 60% of their value off the lot, look like low-rent Bentley's, and get worse mileage than Jay Leno's Tank Car.

Porsche - I'm keeping my hair.

I have a vast hatred for many things, so I'll probably add to this later.

Om1kron
07-18-2011, 02:35 AM
honda, had a bad experience with their finance company and has soured my taste of their company in general.

curbhuggerrps13
07-18-2011, 03:10 AM
honda, had a bad experience with their finance company and has soured my taste of their company in general.

well if you didnt put "pusher" under employment history they wouldn't have had hard time :cool:

drag113
07-20-2011, 10:12 PM
any widely mass produced GM piece of shit

all sedans i've come across are unbelievably.. garbage.

my dad's 300c came out pretty bad too.

soreballz
07-20-2011, 11:34 PM
And, I don't care how much power the Corvette motors make, they're 1960's Nova motors with EFI and coilpacks.
Trolling? Or stupid? I can't tell...

Anywho. My little brother had an '85 Peugeot 505 STi. That thing was... quirky, to say the least, and working on it killed any desire I may have had to ever buy any sort of French car.*

* - with the exception of the Renault 5 Turbo. Those little things are cool.

BustedS13
07-21-2011, 12:02 AM
GM - I've seen too much inexcusable shit from them. And, I don't care how much power the Corvette motors make, they're 1960's Nova motors with EFI and coilpacks. Oh, and no one else uses transverse leaf-springs because they suck.

i watch top gear too! we're car culture super scientists! yeah fuck corvettes, the back bumper cover moves a little when you poke it!

Prime
07-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Trolling? Or stupid? I can't tell...

Neither. I don't like the cars, or the motors. Stupidity is thinking an opinion is right or wrong. Feel free to keep whacking it to Chevy all you want, makes no difference to me.

i watch top gear too! we're car culture super scientists! yeah fuck corvettes, the back bumper cover moves a little when you poke it!

You hard yet, or still workin' that chubby?

I've driven every generation of the Corvette, with the hottest one being a supercharged C5 Z06 that my father in law owns. I haven't driven a new ZR1, but overall... I just don't like the cars. While they might perform, they feel ratty and cheap. If I were going to drop that much cash on a car, I want it to feel like it was made in this century. Period.

As for the motors? While exaggerated, it's not that far from the truth. Sure, they make tons of power. Not hard for a motor that big. If Chevy had Toyota build quality, I couldn't say shit. Hell, if they'd continued with the direction they took the original ZR-1 I might be singing a different tune today.

But they don't, and they didn't, so no.

bb4_96
07-21-2011, 06:18 AM
From time watching automotive lines a good used car all comes down to chance. There are some things good ownership/regular maintenance cannot fix.

-there are and have been in the past issue of paint on the line. If the guns fail or run out of paint while your car is being sprayed the paint could be botched on your car. It may or may not get fixed before it leaves the plant but its never going to be perfect again. someone will now have rust/peeling/flaking/chipping/oxidation.

-I have seen a robot try to put a coupe door on a sedan. Two guys rushed out stopped the machine grabbed the doors, threw them in the back seat and sent it on down the line. Don't know what became of the gouges in the body panels.

-True story one day I was observing the x line at the x plant near where i live. I saw a guy sitting on a stool next to the line staring at his foot/wiggling it around. Curious I asked him what he was working on. He told me he has a mirror strapped to his foot to make sure the guy at the previous op had been installing a certain bolt. Said he had missed a few before.

I guess the bottom line is a good car is like the planets aligning. Everything has to be just right to get a great car. A well assembled motor, good chemistry and conditions on the body, every part correct and correctly installed the first time. Although some manufacturers are worse than others and perpetuate issues.

I'd stay away from the big 3 personally, alot of quality control/workmanship issues there that never seem to be resolved.

word sux
07-21-2011, 04:08 PM
I've driven every generation of the Corvette, with the hottest one being a supercharged C5 Z06 that my father in law owns. I haven't driven a new ZR1, but overall... I just don't like the cars. While they might perform, they feel ratty and cheap. If I were going to drop that much cash on a car, I want it to feel like it was made in this century. Period.

As for the motors? While exaggerated, it's not that far from the truth. Sure, they make tons of power. Not hard for a motor that big. If Chevy had Toyota build quality, I couldn't say shit. Hell, if they'd continued with the direction they took the original ZR-1 I might be singing a different tune today.

But they don't, and they didn't, so no.

personal feelings aside.

I would take an LS motor over any toyota motor ever built. Simple works thats why cars keep getting worse and worse, too much crap and too complex. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

O btw all toyota's 4 cylinders came from the gm designed "iron duke" from the 50's

and also porsche is one of the best cars on the market. new old does not matter they are great cars period. (911 not the other shit that no one cares about)

word sux
07-21-2011, 04:11 PM
just had a vw in the other day complaining about low oil after only 1k after the oil change. car has 30k miles on it and is already burning about a quart and a half of oil within 1k miles. the head was full of blow by... what a joke
owner even said its the worst car he has ever owned and is selling asap.

my sister has a jetta and its a pile of shit it has a new problem every week. you have to replace the MAF once or twice a year. Abs and tcs has a mind of its own.

just had an audi a6 in 2 days ago. All interior electrics were going nuts. windows going up and down lights turning on and off etc. The little light in the door that illuminates... uhhh nothing? had the plug come loose and the car went ape shit... fucking hate these cars...

had an audi a6 in last month. the sun roof leaked so bad the it ruined the carpet and the control module under the carpet and also somehow filled the hvac with water. total repair cost $4,400

ignited
07-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Planned obsolescence (google it). Our car parts fail by design. Car manufacturers don't make money off the sale of the vehicle. Car manufacturers make money selling OEM replacement parts. In the 60's USA car manufacturers learned their lesson the hard way (sorry for the wording guys). They used to sell drag racing parts straight from the dealership right after you bought your car. Parts were built to standards so high they did not fail or break for a very long time if at all. They did not fail to the point where OEM 60's car parts were on dealer shelves for years and years before being purchased by a customer. Ever buy a 60's car part from a dealer covered in dust in original packaging? Me too. It was probably on that shelf, or many shelves, since it was made in the 60's. Most new car parts fail by design.

What car brand will I never buy again? Anything brand new...

Planned obsolescence is the way most products are manufactured these days. Ever wonder why you cant buy replacement motherboard parts for a Dell computer when it stops working? You got it. Because Dell simply wants you to replace that $600 computer with another one. Like car parts these days.

Not everything is done like this. There are some very reputable companies out there producing great products made by hand with quality materials. Unfortunately most of the car parts built to that standard are aftermarket. If they came on the car from the factory cars would soar in price.

Prime
07-21-2011, 05:05 PM
personal feelings aside.

I would take an LS motor over any toyota motor ever built. Simple works thats why cars keep getting worse and worse, too much crap and too complex. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

O btw all toyota's 4 cylinders came from the gm designed "iron duke" from the 50's

and also porsche is one of the best cars on the market. new old does not matter they are great cars period. (911 not the other shit that no one cares about)

If you look above, I don't like Toyota either. But they do build solid cars, for the most part. Also, I've got an Iron Duke sitting in my barn that someone gave me. Didn't know the bit about Toyota, gonna have to look into it.

Porsche, nothing against them. It's just the flagship of a mid-life crisis is all. It's more the stigma than anything else. My uncle has a 996 that is a FANTASTIC car to drive. But I just feel self-conscious once I climb out of it, hard to describe.

whats_a_sr20
07-21-2011, 05:07 PM
bmw 325i to be specific i bought it 8 months ago and iv taking it in 5 times already its a headache.....:/

skelletorjnb
10-13-2011, 04:18 PM

i have a 99 300m and it is the biggest peice of shit ive ever owned. EVERYTHING BREAKS. and the worst part is i tried to take care of it.

Matej
10-13-2011, 04:38 PM
"Cars are like a box of chocolates."

http://writelifellc.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/forrest-gump.jpg

!Zar!
10-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I've owned about 29 different cars, and I guess the one that seemed the quirkiest was the MkIV GTI I had. Interior and electrical things would randomly stop working/break.

Car was reliable though.

superbike81
10-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Never say never, but I will most likely never purchase another American car. Don't get me wrong, we make some pretty good cars, but I always seem to find something comparable made by the Japanese or Europeans that I like just a little better.

Examples..... commuter cars, the Honda Fit will be my next commuter car, cars like the Fiesta, Focus, Cruze, etc all seem like perfectly good little cars, but they just don't do anything for me overall. I'm fortunate enough to be able to finally afford a long-term weekend/toy car in the $125k range. The ZR1 that I test drove is an amazing car, but for whatever reason, it just didn't get me excited, I didn't get the butterflies in my stomach when I sat in it. On the other hand, the Ferrari 360 and F430 that I test drove really gave me a special feeling inside, something that I know would last forever. Even though they technically perform worse than the ZR1 and are more expensive to maintain, I would pick either of them over and over again before I went with an American sports car.