PDA

View Full Version : What did I fry?

tyoung240
05-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I was splicing my kouki daytime running lights (the ones in the grill pieces) to my side markers so that they would actually illuminate. I was rushing and did not pull the fuse. After testing to ensure both bulbs worked...i let go of the 2 side marker wires with exposed sections...and they touched. ZAP

-all fuses inside driver side compartment are fine
-also tried multiple working ones in Daytime Running Lights slot. nothing

-checked ACC Relay (under compartment by air intake)
-replaced relay with one that i know works from my buddys 240. nothing.

have no instrument lights, no tail lamps. have BRAKE lights, but basically when i turn the switch to the 1st position, no lights are illuminated. turn signals and hazards all work.

What did I fry?

also- checked schematics and wiring diagrams...Original manual (the HUGE one printed in Japan in 92) showed a 'Daytime Running Lights Control Unit'...another diagram from the Chilton repair manual did not. hmmm...

could it be a ground issue?

I believe the whole issue was 1)I should have pulled the fuse and 2)the fuse had a 20A instead of a 10A, which (Im assuming) caused more problems somewhere else under and extreme circumstance such as this

*92 SE w/ KA24de

nismo 240sx
05-08-2011, 04:34 PM
did you check the fueses in your kick panel? take them out and check them..that happend when i did my fogs..

tyoung240
05-08-2011, 11:20 PM
yes, checked ALL fuses in driver compartment. all were fine. Just to be sure, i replaced the one that should have blown (or i wish would have blown to make things easier) with several different working fuses.

for instance- Hazards lights---> tested to make sure they worked. Then pulled the fuse and put in the slot for Daytime Lights. still no lights...

so i know its not the fuses, im guessing i created a short in the wire somewhere...ill see if i can find it

KiLLeR2001
05-08-2011, 11:27 PM
The fuse called "Tail Lamp" in the driver side kick panel is the one you blew. Replace it.

If you're sure that is fine, then you need to trace through your wiring.

tyoung240
05-09-2011, 08:47 PM
fixed - thanks

thought i pulled every one, but obviously i was wrong!

i assumed it was the wrong fuse, and you know what they say about assuming- it makes you look like a douche bag!