PDA

View Full Version : NAME THAT SOUND !!! wth is this damn noise

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 04:13 AM
Few details before the vid is shown. I've serious tried everything I could think of the engine ran PERFECT and idled smooth at 1K before hand. I had to pull the engine in order to put in the new clutch, tob, pilot bearing, ext. Basically a entire clutch job since the pilot bearing was a automatic and my input shaft just rattled around before hand. Well anyways I thought it may have been the alternator pulley, so i took the water pump,crank, alternator belt off. SAME NOISE. So I tried power steering, same noise. The turbo is a rebuilt T25, I have no mods really at all. FMIC, GReddy Intake manifold, HKS intake, GReddy catch can, and thats about it, stock everything else besides the clutch, I deleted the dampener with the Nismo Slave and SS line. I dont think that would cause this noise. The engine really ran and idled perfect before hand. I know a vacuum leak couldnt cause this loud and obnoxious noise. So im posting here for help and brainstorming ideas to figure out wth the noise is I cant pin point where its coming from, again I've removed all belts and started it up and the same noise occurred so it isnt any of the main pulleys up front. Maybe the clutch is torqued down to much or something ? Idk please and i mean PLEASE someone on this awesome forum help me out !

YouTube - Name that Noise!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T6B8b9ENLE)

Memberofthe600hpkaclub
05-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Srt4S make the same noise when the intake gasket is leaking, you could try that

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 04:33 AM
intake manifold gasket ? havent checked there it sounds as if something is rotating though. Like a bad bearing inside of something. Ill check the intake manifold tmo. Im want to put my stock intake manifold back on anyways.

Pro ViZIon
05-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Im not sure if i overlooked it but what exactly does this noise sound like?

JDM king240
05-07-2011, 10:45 AM
sounds like bad pullies or bearing

krps13_180sx
05-07-2011, 11:46 AM
how was the oil pressure like when it was on? probably something worn in either the front or rear main... i know that any dents on the sr oil pan can trick out the oil pump from working properly..

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Oil pan is brand new, oil pick up is brand new. Oil pressure when started was at like 95? Which I know is high.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Im not sure if i overlooked it but what exactly does this noise sound like?

It's a high pitched squeal, majorly high pitched. It hurts your ears something serious. I can't exactly pin point where the noise if coming from it somewhat sounds like the intake mani side, but I really can't tell. My idle is at about 1700, which makes me think I have a vacuum leak somewhere. No dents in the oil pan, I had to jack up with a wooden block from the oil pan to tilt the engine backwards into the firewall to try and stab the trans from the bottom. But it didn't put any indents or anything in the oil pan. I'll take a pic and post it up of the oil pan.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Also when I first got everything back in the car and I first started it it didn't so this, if has a REALLY weak start for some reason as well. When I first started it it did this for about 30 seconds ad stopped I drove around te block pulled back into the drive way and killed it. Waited 10min and started it up and it did it again and it didn't stop so since then I haven't driven or anything just left it in the garage. I'm at a total loss I'm seriously stumped.

hessianben
05-07-2011, 01:17 PM
rule out pulley bearings before you tear anything else apart.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 02:09 PM
It can't be the pulley bearings I took off all the belts and started it and it still makes the noise. I just put the belt back on and it got SUPER hot for some reason.

hessianben
05-07-2011, 02:21 PM
i'm assuming that included your water pump pulley? so you can rule out a bad water pump bearing....?

can you crank it by hand? if it is too hard to crank by hand, don't run it if you don't have to... chances are more damage is being caused if so...

jesse_s13
05-07-2011, 02:24 PM
i was gonna say the wp. shit sounds bad=/

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Nooooo it's parked in te garage, I noticed my vacuum is now at a 15 and not the usual 20, then I noticed the intake manifold has no gasket! So that could be the vacuum leak! And the water pump is brand new with 10 miles on it. Alternator pulley turns by hand some what easy. Then belt gets really hot for some reason. I'm seriously stumped at what this cause is. I'm going TI take the manifold off later and see if that's what's wrong. I know the engine itself is fine. No leaks or anything all the seals are brand new as well.

krps13_180sx
05-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Definitely work on that intake manifold.. 15 and 20hg of vacuum is normal depending on the temp of the motor. but also consider what hessianben said..try to turn the crank hope that theres no restriction or anything.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 06:54 PM
So turn the crank with a 27MM, and see if it sounds freely correct? Or turnthe alt pulley or water?

krps13_180sx
05-07-2011, 06:58 PM
turn the crank, if you think the accessory pulleys and bearings are fine you can take the belts off, just turn the crank to feel any restrictions on the internals

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I said above I took all the belts off and started it and the something happened. I already turned the crank by hand and it's fine until it builds te normal compression.

krps13_180sx
05-07-2011, 07:18 PM
you really got me stumped on this dealio lol.. you also said that the motor ran fine before the clutch install. how was bolting the transmission up? did you have to fight it in? possibly a faulty pilot bearing/release bearing that came with the clutch kit? :s

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Nah man, I had to pull the trans in order to install a pilot bearing since the one that came in the engine was a auto, I didn't change it before hand and it made a god awful rattle. So I pulled it, ordered a pilot bearing and a tob from enjuku. Installed it and it fixed the hellacious grind sound but now this problem sources. I wouldn't think the intake manifold not having a gasket would be the issue. But I figure I'll try it tmo and see. My vacuum read at 20 before hand
Now it's a 16ish.

krps13_180sx
05-07-2011, 07:35 PM
ya def do the intake mani but for the pilot bearing, it does sit in the middle of the flywheel and turns at the engines rpm..other than that im stumped..

SLiDe_WaYz
05-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Idk man I don't see it being the pilot bearing? I check the turbo as well no axial or shaft play

jr_ss
05-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Lets start from the beginning. Everything was fine before you did the clutch items correct? If you didn't touch the motor, then your problem lies with what you did touch. I'd pull the trans and look at the TOB and the pilot bushing. Did you grease the bushing? Perhaps you recieved a faulty TOB from the factory, rare but not unheard of. Start with the things you changed before you begin to think it's something engine related.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Lets start from the beginning. Everything was fine before you did the clutch items correct? If you didn't touch the motor, then your problem lies with what you did touch. I'd pull the trans and look at the TOB and the pilot bushing. Did you grease the bushing? Perhaps you recieved a faulty TOB from the factory, rare but not unheard of. Start with the things you changed before you begin to think it's something engine related.

That's good logic, yes I greased the pilot bushing before hand, the tob is a Koyo from frsport, I went ahead and replaced it even though the old one had 10 miles on it total. I had to pull the trans in order to replace the pilot bearing. So basically the only thing I touched was the pilot bearing, tob, and replaced te slave with a nismo slave and SS line.

McSlides
05-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Could be you got a shitty TOB. Im not trying to shop bash by any means cause i get alot of good parts from Enjuku. But i had a bad TOB on my SR, ordered a "new" one from Enjuku and it still whines like it's bad.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Whines like the video posted? I really can't find ANYTHING wrong pulleys are good, water pump good, only thing I found was the intake manifold not having a gasket which I ordered one last night. I guess I'm going to have to pull it all out again! And replace the tob with the old new one that was in there. Luckily I kept it.

McSlides
05-08-2011, 03:16 PM
This one, no. One i had in my KA, yes lol. My buddy installed a ACT tob when he did his clutch and it whined pretty bad, put an oem one in and it was fine. I would't fiddle with anything that wasn't busted previously. It could also be a really bad vacuum leak somewhere to. Maybe cracked a line when you were pulling th motor.

hessianben
05-08-2011, 03:28 PM
question:

just for the sake of ruling things out...

does the sound change when you engage or disengage clutch pedal?
does the sound change when you press clutch and select a gear?

also, did you use the standard brass pilot bush or a 'needle bearing' style replacement?

I pulled my trans twice in 6 months because i was eating pilot bushings until i switched to the bearing style. although my whine only happened when the clutch was depressed.

McSlides
05-08-2011, 03:54 PM
question:

also, did you use the standard brass pilot bush or a 'needle bearing' style replacement?

I pulled my trans twice in 6 months because i was eating pilot bushings until i switched to the bearing style. although my whine only happened when the clutch was depressed.

Good call.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-08-2011, 04:02 PM
question:

Well I've never presses in the clutch pedal while it was running. I bought the brass bearing from frsport for 20 bucks shipped. I'll try that now I'll go start it and press in the clutch and see what happens. I havnt driven it at all with the noise So im not sure what happens when i shift gears. I'm just really confused on what the problem is. I am yet to get to drive my car with the SR in there. It's depressing. I'm almost to the point of selling and getting a bike.

McSlides
05-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Don't sell it. You'll love it when it runs. I had the same thing going on with my wiring when i did my swap. Once you fix it you'll be happy. Check the clutch when its running man. He had a good point no one considered.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Just started it, pressed in the clutch and shifted samething.

Checked ALL gauges and everything is normal:
Wideband: 13.8 at idle
Oil Pressure is at about 90PSI which is normal when first starting since the oil is so thick.
Water temp is normal
Vacuum is reading at 14 instead of the 20 before hand.

Now, I backed it out the garage and killed it, and it SOUNDED, im still not 100%. But it sounded like it was coming from the intake manifold side. Im wondering if it is a vacuum leak would it honestly cause that big and loud of a noise ? Not a pity story here, but I'm in serious need of transportation lol I'm sick of getting my girl to take me places.

McSlides
05-08-2011, 04:27 PM
It definitely could be. Pull the manifold off and put a gasket in it.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I ordered the gasket upper plenum and the intake manifold gasket from NissanCC last night. I'd still like to know if a vacuum leak would cause that loud of a whistle lol. Im just curious that noise is ridiculously loud. When the engine was pulled to install the pilot bearing, we did chain it around the intake manifold. I just would like a definite answer as to if anyone has ever heard a vacuum leak make that noise ! lol

camaro379ss
05-08-2011, 06:07 PM
It sounds like it could be a large vacuum leak. I have heard large leaks before and its usually a high pitched whistle and causes really high idle...hard to tell on an internet video, but one problem is when you shut the engine off it doesnt get quieter as if its running out of air. It just stops abruptly. Thats one thing that makes me think it may not be.

You can rule out the intake mani by getting a spray bottle of soaping water and spray around the meeting point to see if the pitch changes. Either way it still needs a gasket but thats not anything new to you I am sure seeing that you ordered one.

Are you sure you didnt damage anything around where you chained it?

SLiDe_WaYz
05-08-2011, 06:32 PM
The chains were as followed, two bolts that went into the links and then went into the holes in the block, that was the exhaust side. Now on the intake side I removed the fuel rail, and ran a chain through one side of the intake manifold, and looped around 2 of the runners. Then hooked them to the house and lifted it out.

I'm pretty damn sure I didn't do anything to harm the engine when pulled out.

camaro379ss
05-08-2011, 06:34 PM
try spraying some soapy water around that area to see if it is a vacuum leak. Just control your spray.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Got some bubble action on the intake manifold. So I know there's a leak there. Again not sure if it's causing the damn noise though.

hessianben
05-09-2011, 12:48 AM
well either way, you gotta fix that leak or you'll be having other running issues... hope that's all it is!

SLiDe_WaYz
05-10-2011, 02:47 AM
whooo!!!! for one damn gasket its on back order from over seas for 2-3 weeks! just my luck with this damn car!

Memberofthe600hpkaclub
05-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Tellin ya its the intake gasket....my srt4 did the same thing same noise...like I said in the first post sucks about the gasket bein on back order...ebay

camaro379ss
05-10-2011, 09:14 AM
thats some bad luck for ya...but I agree it really does sound like the intake gasket is it.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Never I wouldn't never put anything eBay on my car lol. My buddy sent me a text last night and said he ha a peakboost gasket in his garage he'll give me if he can find it. If he does I'm going to cancel my order and grab his.

jr_ss
05-10-2011, 01:46 PM
You need to look else where. There are plenty of shops that have these gaskets in stock.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Not where I live, no shops here carry anytype of jdm part. At all.

jr_ss
05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
I meant online shops man... Buy it online from thenismoshop.com, phase2motortrend.com frsport.com... They all have them and they'll be there sooner than 3 weeks

camaro379ss
05-10-2011, 04:11 PM
You need to look else where. There are plenty of shops that have these gaskets in stock.

Yea check online.

EDIT just saw you posted that my bad. I left this window open too long on my computer and ya beat me to it.

krps13_180sx
05-10-2011, 08:39 PM
check out any parts store, 1993 Nissan Sentra se-r with the sr20de the intake manifold gasket is identical to the sr20det

SLiDe_WaYz
05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
check out any parts store, 1993 Nissan Sentra se-r with the sr20de the intake manifold gasket is identical to the sr20det

Didnt know that, I'll go check tmo thanks bro.