PDA

View Full Version : help with car insurance!!!!!!!!!

DRIFTO16
05-05-2011, 12:15 AM
hi guys
just had a question about car insurance,
ive only had my licence for about 2 and a half years
and car insurance is alot for me
i wanted to know if i can have my pops insure it for me
if the car is in my name???
wanna save some cash so i hope i can do this.

TwoHarbors240
05-05-2011, 12:50 AM
have him co-sign on the title, then im sure it can be insured under his account... otherwise im thinkin not

DRIFTO16
05-05-2011, 12:58 AM
does it cost me anything to have him cosign
onto my title?

TwoHarbors240
05-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Im not 100 percent sure how that would work, because you are adding someone, not necessarily transferring it. youd have to look into it, im not positive.

DRIFTO16
05-05-2011, 01:03 AM
gotcha
yeah ima call in and check it out thnx for the help dude =]

Prime
05-05-2011, 02:34 AM
My car is in my moms name. It's insured in my name. I haven't bothered changing ownership because it hasn't been an issue and it's more trouble than it's worth at this point. I don't see how it could be that big a difference for your situation.

Hashiriya415
05-05-2011, 03:06 AM
Can we all just get together and insure 200 cars on to 1 owner. We call it "Zilvia group insurance buy". It should be like $400 for 6 months, everyone pays $2 every 6 months. Every car is insured, I don't see what the problem is, except that the gang in charge of collecting insurance money will notice a lot less change in their pocket.

DRIFTO16
05-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Oh okay so then atleast i know i might be able to let my dad insure it even if its under my name
cuz i heard insurance would be much cheaper sence hes had his licence with no tickets sence the dinosaur days lol

hahahah yaaa that would be awsome
if we can have all our cars insured together
bump
whos down!!!
Lol

myZter
05-05-2011, 10:52 AM
its the car that has to be insured not the driver. you can also tell the insurance that its a weekend car or project car so you dont really drive it but need to make sure you have low miles

DRIFTO16
05-05-2011, 10:57 AM
So if my dad insures the car with his name but i crash it
is it still coverd with me in it?
Sorry ive never insured a car lol
and im sure you guys here can help me out thnx

Krimlin
05-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I dunno about CA but here's what I did in TX

I was the primary driver on the title and my dad is a secondary owner, and this allows him to put me on his plan.

Sorry but insurance works like this:

Insurance Co. insures the vehicle and the drivers of those vehicles, so by putting you on your dad's plan will cause his insurance cost to go up pretty bad.

If you're not listed on the insurance plan, your dad must have given you expressed premission to drive that vehicle, and this is not a good solution for a long term situation, cause if they find out what you're doing and you happen to get into a accident, you may not be covered.

Best solution, get on your dad's plan and split the cost with him.

CalPolyKing
05-05-2011, 12:36 PM
My brother is a Farmers agent and he told me this:

- You are insuring the vehicle you plan to drive. So insurance companies want to know your driving experience. The problem that happens is that people tend to insure cars under there own name, then let other friends drive them.
As with Farmers Insurance, they don't care if you let someone else drive the car, just as long as they are not under the same house.
Its pretty stupid, but they figure if your in the same house your more frequent to drive the cars, and you should be rated for at least one of the cars with farmers insurance.

My brother actually had his 2010 Corolla with my mom as the primary driver so he could get a lower full coverage, and he put himself as the primary driver of my moms truck that had only liability. The liability on the truck went up, but he saved over $150(6months) on full coverage for his 2010 Corolla when the liability only went up like $15 bucks in the entire 6 months.

That was kinda long, but I bored, and I hoped that helped for anyone that wants to save a couple buck with Farmers at least.

Future240
05-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I own my car pops insures it. If you hit someone it will be covered underneath his propert damage coverage because it it will be on his policy. Your rates may be cheaper but not a whole lot. I am saving $60 every 6 months by putting my car on my dads insurance.

DRIFTO16
05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
All this information is realy helpfull
i was pretty about this subject earlier
im think maybe i should
put my dad as the secondary driver
on the title and let him insure the car and i can pay him
that should save me some money compared to if i would di this myself, correct me if im wrong

CalPolyKing
05-05-2011, 02:17 PM
All this information is realy helpfull
i was pretty about this subject earlier
im think maybe i should
put my dad as the secondary driver
on the title and let him insure the car and i can pay him
that should save me some money compared to if i would di this myself, correct me if im wrong

Who is your dad insured with? It really depends on the insurance company. You might get by with your dad insuring the car, and cops wont car since the cars insured, but if you ever hit anyone the insurance company might not want to pay out, and then your SOL.

I would call your insurance company and find out. Its different with every company.

cyrus_muller
05-12-2011, 06:26 AM
I would suggest you keep the auto insurance under your own name; if you make a mistake, it would affect your dad’s insurance rates too, and what good would that do? Wait it out a few years, your rates will drop once you turn 25. Another thing you can do right now is, enroll in a defensive driver’s credit; most companies will give you a discount for completing the course.

DRIFTO16
05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Ya your right
thats what i was thinking but dam 120 bucks a month compared to my dads 35 haha loli gets to me haha