PDA

View Full Version : Suspension help!!

vbgambini
05-04-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm in need of some help here. Is there a way of converting a degree of camber to inches?

For example, if there was an inch from the sidewall of my tire to the fender and I add a degree of camber, will that be an inch? So that means it will rub? I'm asking because I'm going to be getting some coilovers soon and before I take it to get it aligned I want to make sure i have enough room to the fender so I don't have to run too much negative camber. In the rear especially. If I don't then i will have to pull my fenders out a little more before I take it to get it aligned. I just want to get as close to spec as possible. Thanks

Pandapants
05-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Yeah, it's called geometry. You measure the length of your wheel; this will be your hypotenuse, you measure the true vertical; this would be your adjacent side, then you measure your distance from the top of your wheel (hypotenuse) and the top of your true vertical (adjacent) to calculate the "opposite" side.

So, to find out how much camber you have, you divide your opposite side length by your wheel length (1.5" / 17" = 0.0882") and that's your sin, (INV Sin (0.0882) = 5.06 or -5.06 degrees of camber)

divide your current camber degree by your desired increment, and adjust accordingly (5.06 / 6 = 0.84 degrees per 1/4").

Sir
05-06-2011, 05:02 AM
Best response ever!