PDA

View Full Version : Glamis trip advice

reed1285
05-04-2011, 02:33 PM
ok, so me and my brother (both avid atv riders) are seriously considering a trip to the glamis dunes late this summer. its always been a dream of ours to ride in the vast open dunes. if we go and end up liking it. we might even make it an every year thing (finances allowing). we have a 27 foot toy hauler camper that would be our quad transport and living quarters. once we get there we wouldnt plan on even leaving the area till the time we left to come home. hopefully we would have 2 weeks to committ to the trip.

i know im not the only quad rider on this forum. and im assuming some of you have been to/rode glamis. im wanting advice on the area. best time of year to go, big events held there in the late summer, and maybe some info on specific areas in glamis we should see/ride. being from tennessee, it should go unsaid that we have NEVER rode in dunes, so it would be a whole new experience for both of us.how should our quads be set up for riding in sand? besides paddle tires what else would we need? im thinking we probably would have to re-jet to. (btw i ride a yfz450 and my brother rides an arctic cat dvx 400). thanks for any advice and info you can provide me on the area. trust me ive googled the hell out of it and have learned a TON about it....but im wanting some first hand experiences if you guys got em.

Gizmo_S13
05-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I suggest going on a holiday. It gets incredibly packed and it's a lot of fun. We used to go every year during Easter, 4th of July and Halloween. Halloween was my personal favorite considering the costumes and Halloween influenced sand rails. Oh!!! And the girls!!! Bring lots of beer if you're going to be drinking hahaha

theicecreamdan
05-04-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm not entirely sure Glamis is worth being a yearly trip from TN.

Its a cool place though, there's other stuff in the area too. For street legal vehicles you might want to check out Anza Borrego.

reed1285
05-04-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm not entirely sure Glamis is worth being a yearly trip from TN.

for a couple of guys who always just ride in the mountains it may be lol...thanks for the info so far

Marcus
05-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Absolutely go on a holiday. I really dont think you'd be able to stand staying there for TWO WEEKS. id say maybe 3-4 days at most. also you need like a "park pass" thingy-majig. can be found at any dirtbike shop. bring some whips (flags). pretty much anything you'd bring with you to a track event lol.

If im not mistaken, Halloween marks the beginning of the "season".
I ride a 02 CR 250 baby. 2stroke ftw. and i know nothing of quads haha.

reed1285
05-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Cool...thanks for the advice man, the reason I say two weeks is because it'd probably be three days behind the wheel each way...so total like 6 days traveling. Every video I've watched on the internet, mostly videos on YouTube, every person has a whip on there bike/quad. So I'm assuming they are required? Also, from the videos it definitely looks like we need to check out the "canal jump" it looks pretty sweet. Is the whole place pretty much open for free roam? Or are there off limit zones?

Oh I know what u mean about the 2 strokes man, I have an 86 suzuki lt250r quadracer. Plus I've had an rm250, a yz125, and a kx250. I love my quadracer, super easy to work on, unlike my yfz. and parts are pretty cheap too

Teddy
05-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Glamis is pretty much the shit. I've been many times and I love it!

Oldsmobile hill is super scary though!

EDIT: Oh snap, I just realized you're from TN. That's a hell of a trek!

reed1285
05-13-2011, 06:15 AM
yeah its gonna be like a road trip/vacation kinda thing for us, i work out of my house, so im pretty much my own boss. i still have to turn in vacation time and stuff but i can go whenever i want. and ive got about three weeks worth right now. and my brother doesn't work (lazy ass) so we definitely have the time and willingness to do it. ever since ive been into quads and dirtbikes, which is pretty much my whole life, got my first bike (honda z50) when i was 6, ive wanted to ride the dunes somewhere out west. so im trying to make it a reality. the more i look into it the more dune parks i find. there are several in Nevada, so some of those might be worth looking into. but something about glamis has always attracted me.

also, how far is ocotillo wells from the glamis area? that DEFINITELY looks like a place to hit up if its close enough

D.Adams
05-13-2011, 07:48 AM
I have been to Glamis a shit load .. If it's your first time going i would say go a couple days before a Holliday and get the feel for it. Then stay through the Holliday best times to go are hollowen and thanksgiving. You will need a pass but they sell them on gecko road at the BLM station. Stay off of gecko that's where most everything goes down. You have the sand drags 3 min from there and you can go to china wall and oldsmobile hill plus you are close to the shopping area and glamis store is a 15 min ride from there.

Bring alot of water and wet naps. Watch out for the razor backs and dumb ass people in there $150,000 rails. Last time I went i watcher a yamaha rhino get taken out by a tail going 70 plus mph.

Glamis is something everyone needs to experience once its a awesome place.

If you need anymore info PM me I can help out as much as I can..

Posted from iPhone 4

reed1285
05-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Hell yeah thanks for the great advice man, I figured id have to have some kind of pass to get in, is it just like something u hang from your rear view mirror or something? also how much are the passes? are they good for multiple days or just one? thanks again

D.Adams
05-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Hell yeah thanks for the great advice man, I figured id have to have some kind of pass to get in, is it just like something u hang from your rear view mirror or something? also how much are the passes? are they good for multiple days or just one? thanks again

It's a pass you put on your dash. But the last time I went I paid $30 for a week pass. It's well worth it .

This might help

Glamis Fees Permits (http://www.vendorsalleyglamis.com/fees1_permits.htm)

Shit if you post up what time you are going i probably can take the time off work and show you guys around glamis.

Bring lots of Beer .. Also never a good idea to put beer on a burn..

One_love_silvia
05-13-2011, 10:42 PM
ya def hit up olds. and paddles are all u really need. tho i highly recommend a heat shield for ur gas tank.

ive only been there once, and it was sadly my last desert trip ever as of right now.... fricken loved it. i was young then tho, so i was scared to go up olds with all the crazy asses goin up it lol

basically, i was riding a 250? or 200? blaster (idr, been awhile) and after a long trip, we come back to find out ive been riding around with a hole in my gas tank. the fuckin sun melted the bastard =( lucky to be alive imo.

ended up not being able to go on the last ride of the trip cuz of this...i was so pissed... never woulda thought it was gunna be my last trip ever either....

tldr: buy a heat shield for ur gas tank.

reed1285
05-14-2011, 10:41 AM
It's a pass you put on your dash. But the last time I went I paid $30 for a week pass. It's well worth it .

This might help

Glamis Fees Permits (http://www.vendorsalleyglamis.com/fees1_permits.htm)

Shit if you post up what time you are going i probably can take the time off work and show you guys around glamis.

Bring lots of Beer .. Also never a good idea to put beer on a burn..

sounds good man, id love to have somebody show us the good spots. thanks!
ya def hit up olds. and paddles are all u really need. tho i highly recommend a heat shield for ur gas tank.

ive only been there once, and it was sadly my last desert trip ever as of right now.... fricken loved it. i was young then tho, so i was scared to go up olds with all the crazy asses goin up it lol

basically, i was riding a 250? or 200? blaster (idr, been awhile) and after a long trip, we come back to find out ive been riding around with a hole in my gas tank. the fuckin sun melted the bastard =( lucky to be alive imo.

ended up not being able to go on the last ride of the trip cuz of this...i was so pissed... never woulda thought it was gunna be my last trip ever either....

tldr: buy a heat shield for ur gas tank.

damn thats crazy man. glad it wasnt any worse than it was, thats for the heads up!

definately we will need paddles...but ive always heard whenever you drastically change your riding terrain to rejet your carb, im not sure if thats fact tho.