PDA

View Full Version : Headlight aiming issues (pop ups)

dirt114
05-04-2011, 09:26 AM
I just tried adjusting my shitty headlights on my newly aquired s13 hatch and realized why they suck so much. they are aimed wayyy too high. I figured out the screws on the lights to adjust up/down and left/right but when I got done adjusting the light as far down as possible it was still too hight. when I drive behind a truck I can see his whole cabin lit up like im a cop with a spotlight... I'm honestly suprised no one has brake checked me over it yet.

anyway, is this a common problem with a common fix? I tried to look around but I cant find/get to the mounting bolts on the pop ups to tell if its not attached right or something. Any ideas??

Thanks
Keith

s13-ghost
05-04-2011, 10:06 AM
ismaybe the car has been in a front end collision?

dirt114
05-04-2011, 11:18 AM
i beleive it has. the core support is broke from the frame on pass. side. the part under/behind the bumper that is. but where do the headlights attach to the frame? maybe I can bend that area back down...

s13-ghost
05-04-2011, 02:05 PM
you could try dat n see if it works.gl

cotbu
05-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Also make sure the headlight wasn't installed upside down. Sounds ridiculous but I've seen it many times.

dirt114
05-05-2011, 10:37 AM
what part specifically would be upside down? is there a write up somewhere on how to take the head lights out and apart?

wussmonster
05-07-2011, 05:00 PM
its really simple. just pop 'em up and start unscrewing them. incredibly easy.

Wake
05-07-2011, 05:10 PM
first of all if you have front end damage, and there are actually parts that arent connected then you may never get them to aim properly.

And he means the actualy headlight (sealed beam) itself is upside down. So look at the writing on the front and make sure its the right way up.

dirt114
05-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Ok I figured it out. the lights are right side up and I found the little adjustable arm (reminds me of a mini tension rod) that connects the side of the housing to the headlight motor and it has two threaded ends with one being backwards threaded. I broke the locking nuts lose and backed them all the way off and adjusted those arms to as short as they would go, bringing the lights down to the lowest angle. Then I used the regular adjustments and got the lights perfect. now i just need a passenger brights bulb and some HIDs :D