PDA

View Full Version : is drifting racing?

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-15-2003, 04:58 PM
Most people say drifting isnt racing it's just for show. But im like, blah blah no its not its real racing why do they have D1 GP and yada yada? Some people say it's a style... so what do you think drifting is? Is it real racing?

Dousan_PG
10-15-2003, 05:00 PM
drifting as far as d1gp is NOT RACING
its show
its like ice skating
the judging is based on style, technique, execution and so forth

just like ice skating

they dont race. its not timed

its for show

drifting IS rice.

:)

and i love every second of it!

Warwick5s
10-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by TokyoDrifterXo7
Most people say drifting isnt racing it's just for show. But im like, blah blah no its not its real racing why do they have D1 GP and yada yada? Some people say it's a style... so what do you think drifting is? Is it real racing?

me thinks you need to change your nickname

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-15-2003, 05:08 PM
what about peeps that are driftin through the canyons? Kinda like initial D stuff. ( dont flame me for this )

nocomedown
10-15-2003, 09:50 PM
what about peeps that are driftin through the canyons? Kinda like initial D stuff. ( dont flame me for this )
hmm...like initial d? those "peeps" are called cartoons:rolleyes:
but honestly, there are two types of drifting - show and speed. show is the cool kind of drifting you see at D1GP. speed isnt nearly as flashy or dramatic. i suppose you could race using drift, but you wouldnt do too well. ever wonder why F1 and Nascar drivers dont drift on corners?

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-15-2003, 11:46 PM
they dont drift cus they aernt racing through a canyon. Rally racers drift, even if they got grip they would still drift the corners. It's a faster way to enter and exit the turns. It may cause drivetrain damage, but it's excellent to use under the right conditions.

Sundi240
10-16-2003, 01:44 AM
Rally is usually or most of the course offroad, so its more effective to just "drift" around the corners. They also don't have to worry about other opponents being close.

aznpoopy
10-16-2003, 07:43 AM
It's a faster way to enter and exit the turns.

its dependent on the amount of available grip. if everyone was driving on ice, drift would definitely be faster.

drift is just a technique. its like asking, 'is grip racing?' grip is a technique. you may USE it while you're racing. most people use it (hopefully) when they are just driving around and commuting and going to work etc.

on that note its possible to set up a race where you have to drift corners. i suppose that would be a 'drift' race. on another tangent, grip drivers do 'drift.' they just aren't very dramatic. remember that best motoring vid with the mr-s vs s14 champ? pay attention to the tires when they take the corners. the cars slip to the side a bit when cornering, i.e. just exceeding available grip. i think anyone who's taken a corner at the limit has felt this before. i never really watched nascar before but i bet they do this too.

nocomedown
10-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by aznpoopy
i never really watched nascar before but i bet they do this too.
nah, they just go around in a big oval.
the only reason rally racers drift is because it's on an offroad course. offroad means no grip. it's stupid to compare rally racing to most other types of racing because there are simply very few similarities. now, if you wanna go racing against other drivers who prefer to keep their traction when possible, i wouldnt reccomend trying to break traction on every corner, but that's entirely up to you. i dont think youll win many races though.

Stee Flo
10-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Rally is not just offroad, ive seen drifting techniques used on tarmac when needed. When it comes to racing its a technique like aznpoopy stated earlier that can help clear tight corners. Its not appropriate for all types of motorsports. You dont see it in F1; there is not need for it. Those are some of the grippiest cars in the world. It can be used in grip driving effectively; ive seen tsuchiya and others use it in JGTC. Its definately not effective for all corners, just those little tight ones. When speaking of drifting in the sense of competitions and such then like dousan said its very much like figure skating. You are judged on technique, form, style, execution, etc. So drifting in the organized motorsport world is not racing imo. Doesnt mine it doesnt take a great deal of skill and practice to do it. My $0.02

nokeone
10-16-2003, 01:45 PM
racing against a clock or against the times of other drivers is racing..so if you choose to drift...then you are racing using the technique of drift...if you choose to grip..then you are using the technique of grip..and so on and so forth...

drifting, like everyone has said, is a style...it's not racing in and of itself..neither is grip...it's also a style...same with rally drifts...it's a style...

racing is only, either, going against a clock by yourself (rally / autoX / drag) or the times of other drivers head to head (F1 / NASCAR / etc)...

btw..when was the last time you were drifting in Tokyo?

TRUENOCOUPE
10-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Blah. Drifting SUCKS!

-T.N.O.

s14slide
10-16-2003, 02:58 PM
I'd just like to add that nascar "sometimes" do a bit of sliding. It's hard to see because of how far away from cameras and bleachers the cars are. The do sometimes set their wedge to where they do get some wheel spin in the corners. This helps the car turn better, but also detracts from their speed. It all depends on the car/driver/track conditions. I've been to Dale Jr.'s garage before and got a whole rundown on nascar suspension(just to let you know where I got this info). When they do set the car up like this, they get anywhere from just a hundred extra rpm's of spin up to a drift like grand of rpm's. Just want to say that they do this to help handling woes, but this definately isn't the fastest way around a track. Road or oval.

TokyoDrifterXo7
10-16-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by nokeone

btw..when was the last time you were drifting in Tokyo?

I never drifted in Tokyo, lol. I just have so many nickname's and some people call me Tokyo because im really deep in the JDM. U guys can call me 7even or slip.

Sideways_In_SD
10-16-2003, 07:12 PM
From the top:

Drifting is not racing, it is a motorsports competition similar in format to pro skateboarding (or ice skating if that's what your pansey-asses watch) ;) Scores are based on complexity of manuvers, speed, smoothness, and style. There is no clock to race against, nor does it matter who comes in first.*

It's true drifting is not the fastest way around track. And you will probably lose by quite a stretch if you try to drift against someone during a race. But I think you guys are misconstrueing what drifting is, it's drifting, that's it. Rally drivers may drift some during a race, but like some of you said that's only because it allows them to set up turns without much decceration, and when the conditions are correct. They only do it to the extent to get through the turn; whereas drifters attempt to keep the car sideways nearly the entire time around a course.

Now there are different types of drifting, not just show and speed (no offense).
Gymkhana- similar to SCCA events. A course is designed with cones and may change through an event, or may be kept secret prior to an event to increase difficulty.
Touge-Similar to Inital D (god I hate these references) It's usually done on mountain or canyon roads. One car follows the other, and tries to keep up or better the car in fronts drifts, then they switch positions.
*In this format if the car in back falls behind (way behind) he loses, or if the car behind can overtake the car in front he usually is thought of as the winner (if done so by not losing the drift)

This is something I've known about since 97, and been into for about 3-4 years now, and hopefully by next year my car will be fit to compete. I was at both D1, and the Falken Drift Showoff last weekend. I really encourage you guys to pick up some videos from Japan, and check it out. It REALLY is it's own sport, and hopefully we'll have an actual US series in the coming years. At least if I have anything to do with it.:boink:
Hope that this helped any confusion.

nokeone
10-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Sideways_In_SD
Touge-Similar to Inital D (god I hate these references) It's usually done on mountain or canyon roads. One car follows the other, and tries to keep up or better the car in fronts drifts, then they switch positions.
*In this format if the car in back falls behind (way behind) he loses, or if the car behind can overtake the car in front he usually is thought of as the winner (if done so by not losing the drift)

u are just slightly incorect in this part...:)

1. usually done on mountain roads should be changed to always...thus the definition of the word, or the act it describes...

2. touge does not require drifting at all...in fact you usually do not drift when competing...as it is a contest of speed and quickness..and as we have all decided drifting is not the fastest technique...

3. and as for determining a winner...if the car in front increases it's lead...it wins...if the car behind closes the distance or maintains it exactly...it wins...passing is generally looked down upon in touge...too dangerous..(u have been watching too much initial D..:p)

ruf
10-16-2003, 07:35 PM
You are all on ze crack rock.

aznpoopy
10-17-2003, 08:11 AM
nokeone is rite. touge there is no passing and no drifting. well not on purpose anyway. i dont know where you got that idea.

as for all the different opinions, i think its just a matter of definition. i define drift as 'exceeding the grip of your tires while maintaing control of the car.' so i suppose any slip or notch that may not be intended but can be controlled would be a drift. other people will define drift as a full out sideways d1gp style done for show and points.

Stee Flo
10-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Actually touge means mountain road or something to that effect. So when speaking of touge it can be drift or grip driving.
Sideways_In_SD there are plenty of people on here that have been drifting for some time so its no new thing. Alot of us already have these videos you speak of.;) Dang we are all on ze crack!1:bite:

Sideways_In_SD
10-17-2003, 09:32 AM
I've never done any touge so I didn't know ALL of the specifics of it, sorry.:blah:
And I've never seen any Inital D cartoons (too old now for cartoons)or I might've known, so I guess you can lick me where god split me ;)
I guess I'm just a drift guy that doesn't know anything cool, but could give 2 sh!ts or fart either way, as long as I'm sideways.

But yeah, I figured you guys had to know something because I've known people for years now, that are from this board that are into it. But I was just going off of the posts before mine, which seemed a little off. And I know there's lot's of different Nissan freaks in here so I was trying to drop some knowlege incase the drift kids keep it to themselves.

Yes, I like ze crack rock, it keeps me from loading ze gun.:D

ruf
10-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Sideways_In_SD
I guess you can lick me where god split me ;)You have ze pussy?