PDA

View Full Version : need some info on a good 4 lug break set up

eliminator024
05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
hi i have a 1990 nissan 240 4 lug
the break system is stock now i just wanted to know a good setup because im going to be doing mountain runs.
so should i do a caliper upgrade?
and should i get drilled and slotted roters? have read that there no good.
this car is also my daily driver, and i do not want to do a 5 lug conversion yet

snafupossum
05-02-2011, 09:30 PM
its brakes not breaks

desertKAdrifter
05-02-2011, 10:03 PM
im no expert but what i have in my car is a 300zx brake system complete with rotors, calipers, and bmc and i added some steel braided lines. I bought the set already four lugged, i think the seller said that all he had to do was get them drilled for four lugs. but im telling you its about twice as much stopping power from stock and they stay cool longer, avoiding fading.

ShimiBoi
05-04-2011, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't suggest carving the canyons too hard. But the z32 set up is a great way tui go if you have the funds.another option is to go with a q45 set up which is cheaper but you would still have to get them drilled for 4 lug. Good luck!

DM Sims
05-04-2011, 06:41 PM
300zx aluminum calipers, slotted rotors (they help), 300zx brake master cylinder, steel braided lines.

PDM sells 4lug rotors for 300zx caliper swaps as well as the BMC and steel braided lines. Q45 is cheaper but the 300zx BMC isn't a required upgrade in the 300 option but improves braking significantly.

eliminator024
05-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Ok so the 300zx brakes seem to be the way to go I thought you had to do a five lug conversion for that lol
so what ill need is calipers, rotors, breaks, a 300 bmc, and that's it?
well I need a 300zx brake boster too?
thanks for the help
oh and I've also seen on lots of cars sloted in the front and normal in the back why is that?

desertKAdrifter
05-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Ok so the 300zx brakes seem to be the way to go I thought you had to do a five lug conversion for that lol
so what ill need is calipers, rotors, breaks, a 300 bmc, and that's it?
well I need a 300zx brake boster too?
thanks for the help
oh and I've also seen on lots of cars sloted in the front and normal in the back why is that?

youll also need to get the rotors drilled for four lugs,unless u are doing a five lug conversion.

the people that have slotted in the front and normal in the back, like myself, did the 300zx conversion in the front only since its been proven that the 240sx rear discs work great with the 300zx setup. also because people dont want to deal with messing around with the e brake modifications since its a little more work to do.

tqstarburst
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
search,this has been covered bunch of times. Won't be too nice next time.
The Definitive 300ZX Brake Swap Paqe (http://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm)

DM Sims
05-06-2011, 09:59 PM
^ that would have popped up in a simple google search and is one of the best guides for the swap I've read.

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/brakesrotor.html

^ If you don't want to do 5 lug... if you want to do the 300zx swap in the rear than you WILL need the rear hubs because the Z used a drum in hat setup. But price wise its cheaper just to do the fronts, that is where most the braking occurs on cars. The Z rear conversion does help significantly, but will take some extra money and work. Remember if you buy the Circuit Sports rotors, you need to get the correct size for your caliper. Their are 3 different Z calipers.

MrChow
05-07-2011, 02:44 AM
just look up 180sx brake up grade. TBH just good pads and fresh rotor, SS lines and clean fluid will do wonders to brakes.

Wake
05-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Q45's by far

None of thi issues of Z32 brakes, and they bolt right up, You can even use altima rotors if your cheap or in a pinch. My Q45's have saved my ass numerous times in the mountains and just driving on the street. You dont need to change anything else to do the swap either, just slap on calipers and rotors and have fun. And you dont need slotted or cross drilled rotors, brmbo blanks are fine, but if you MUST have something just get slotted. you brakes are never going to get hot enough for slotted/drilled to benefit you.

I have never needed anything more than Q45's on the street.

stockdrift
05-11-2011, 12:33 AM
If you search online you will notice that the na z32 and q45 rotors are about the same diameter thickness is off about 2mm. What helps you stop is toque . The large the diameter of the rotor the more car stopping torque you produce.the thickness of the rotor helps with heat and brake fade. All the rotors can be found on ebay pre drilled for 4 and 5 lug.were you need to worry about is brake fluid .like in what brand do you buy how you bleed it and how often you change .next up is brake lines.you can get all 4 line for the stock calipers that will work with the q45 and j30 calipers for around 100 bucks. From what I have seen you spend about 75 to 100 on z conversion line x 2 .your last thing to think about is pads.and I like hawk compared to ebb and axis.to wrap up my long winded rant look up the altima rear rotor with the z31 caliper braket. You keep your oem cable but with a thicker and larger rotor . I run q45 calipers up front auto zone rotors hawk pads agency power lines in the back I have altima rotors and z31 brakets and hawk pads with the auto brake master. Stops great because I change my fluid and bleed after each event .and I neve paid the drift tax on z parts just hit up the bone yard on half off day