PDA

View Full Version : KA24de Timing Chain/tensioner question

jjps13
05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Whats up guy, i found a 1992 240 for CHEAPP and i think im gonna pick it up tomorrow. i went today and looked at it and when i heard it run it sounded like the infamous timing chain guide hitting the valve cover making the ticking noise. ive spent a few hours researching what all i should do to take care of this problem but i cant find a very clear answer.

Should i:

1) take the guide off and run it without the top (not the tensioner the guide) ive read that somepeople just take them off and it solves the problem. I, on the other hand, am kind of leary about doing this and the problem getting worse.... :duh:

2) replace just the tensioner

3) replace the chain along with the tensioner (Guides if needed?)

4) just go ahead and buy the whole timing chain kit that includes the sprockets, chain, tensioner and guides.

these are the only options that i could find but if you guys know of anyother option that would help me out im all ears! this is my first post and my first 240 but ive spent alongggg time researching and learning about them.

Just need some advice from you guys because i cant find SHIT on what exactly would be the proper way to do it.

Thanks for any help guys!

and yes, I DID USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

slothonaleash
05-01-2011, 08:56 PM
take the top guide off, slap your valve cover in and see if it fixes the problem.

if it doesn't work, take the other upper timing chain guide off. slap your valve cover on and see if it fixes the problem.

throw those bitches in the garbage

jjps13
05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
thanks man im definately gonna try that first to see if it helps. didnt nissan discontinue making them because they realised how much they sucked? and would driving it like 15 miles be bad on it? i need to get it home somehow and dont want to use a hauler... 0_o but if it could possibly fuck something up ill just haul it home lol

jjps13
05-03-2011, 07:27 PM
made it home barelyy haha. i took the valve cover off tonight and the bitch broke off and was riding the timing chain... luckly nothing happened and i got that problem fixed!

Tantwoforty
05-03-2011, 07:32 PM
oh shit!
prolly a ebay timing kit..
lucky nothing moved much

jjps13
05-04-2011, 02:44 PM
yeah thats what i hope it wash aha i would hate to think that this happens on a regular basis haha. but judging by the way everything else is done on this car it probably was...

dued
05-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Bump. Also, looking for someone in the San Diego area to help me remove my chain guides, will pay. PM me if your available.