PDA

View Full Version : S13 Hatch Power Antenna Issues

Ace
04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey fellas I searched the forums and didn't find anyone with a similar issue I'm having. My power antenna has been working fine for quite a while now but just today when it was powered on the motor managed to push the entire mast out of the guide tube, plastic toothed rod included. The motor seems to be running for way too long after the mast is already where it needs to be.

I tried the trick where you turn on the radio then turn it right back off to pull the rest of the slack down to make sure the antenna is all the way down but no dice. after several attempts and even pulling out the mast and motor to inspect for anything out of the ordinary I couldn't find any problems. For whatever reason the motor is staying on for longer than it needs to be. But works perfectly when I turn the radio off and has to bring the antenna back down. Stops right when it hits the retainer ring.

Any words of advice or past experiences with this problem would be greatly appreciated

Ace
05-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Sorry for the double post but I was taking a look at the FSM and noticed that in order to remove the mast you have to take of the retaining ring. Meaning the mast shouldn't have been able to come out from the top of the car by the motor being powered on. Is there something on the mast that is used as a stopper to keep it from over extending that could've possibly gotten worn out or broken?

aznfab213
05-01-2011, 09:27 PM
power antennas are a big headache. Just go and buy a non retracting one. It will save you a lot of trouble.

Ace
05-01-2011, 11:26 PM
I thought about going that route but I'd rather do it the right way with original parts. Even if I have to put up with some hassle. It really doesn't seem like that big of a deal I just figured someone would have some insight or past experience on fixing it with a factory replacement

Ace
06-02-2011, 10:46 PM
So it turns out it was both the retainer ring and the antenna mast. the stoppers on both were worn out from use so the antenna was able to go through the ring. Replaced both and all is well.

TypeXFan
06-03-2011, 02:57 AM
So it turns out it was both the retainer ring and the antenna mast. the stoppers on both were worn out from use so the antenna was able to go through the ring. Replaced both and all is well.

All is not well! Its a power antenna, it will be annoying, dump the motor and get a short stationary antenna from autozone or someplace similar. You will gain a antenna that will give you no issues in the future and look nice on the car and get rid of unnecessary weight by dumping the antenna motor.