PDA

View Full Version : Not Registering car?

Live2Slide
04-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Does anybody know what happens if you dont register your car after you buy it from a private seller? and i dont mean what happens if i get pulled over or something, i mean like if i just leave the car parked in my driveway and part out the car and junk the shell or something?

theicecreamdan
04-26-2011, 09:16 PM
DMV will go after the other guy for the $.

Do your part, tell the DMV you have it, and register it non-op

M11's
04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
nothing will happen. when i bought my 240 I didn't register it for four months and just left the sale date blank till i registered to save the 50 dollar fee.

HalveBlue
04-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Call the DMV.

They'll tell ya.

Live2Slide
04-26-2011, 11:22 PM
nothing will happen. when i bought my 240 I didn't register it for four months and just left the sale date blank till i registered to save the 50 dollar fee.

Yeah sale date on the pink slip is blank and its been almost 3 months since I bought the car

revcyanide
04-27-2011, 07:38 AM
register it, Don't be dumb. You can get storage status insurance on it for like 10 bucks a month.

Live2Slide
04-27-2011, 08:19 AM
register it, Don't be dumb. You can get storage status insurance on it for like 10 bucks a month.

I'm not dumb. Haven't registered the car because it has straight pipes and no cats so won't pass smog. I'm finally switching them off this week. Just wanted to know what happened if I just parted the car out instead

wangan_cruiser
04-27-2011, 08:41 AM
if you get a parking ticket itll go to the previous owner not to you.

Rally240sx.com
04-27-2011, 08:45 AM
dont be gheeeettoooooo, you could cause a big headache for the guy you bought it from, would you like it if someone did that with a car they bought from you?

:D

revcyanide
04-27-2011, 08:49 AM
someone did do that to me once, they blew a headgasket being stupid. and dumped the car on the side of the road and left it there, I had to go to court to prove it was not mine.

Rally240sx.com
04-27-2011, 09:55 AM
yeah I had someone buy a car from me once and get parking tickets in my name mailed to my house because he didnt switch the title, if you cant take responsibility for owning a car you shouldnt own one

:snoop:

wangan_cruiser
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
or if you run through a stoplight then cameras caught you, the ticket will go to the previous owner also. ouch

drift213
04-27-2011, 10:26 AM
dude just pay non op is only 18 bucks and a whole day at the dmv lmao

CrimsonRockett
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Are all of you guys not mailing in your "release of liability" forms or what?

Also, besides holding onto the bill of sale (DMV printout), keep a written bill of sale with the new owners full name, driver's license number, address, and number.

If for whatever reason the new owner doesn't register it but they get parking tickets or something of the sort, all that stuff will go to them, not you.

blueshark123
04-27-2011, 10:58 AM
nothing will happen to u or previous owner if you dont register it and that u fully intend to part it out and not have it parked on the street or drive it. Unless u have asshole neighbors and report it to the police what you are doing since it may be a eye sore to them. I part out cars all the time but i leave the car in a gated area away from the street

LimeLite Racing
04-27-2011, 11:09 AM

Also, besides holding onto the bill of sale (DMV printout), keep a written bill of sale with the new owners full name, driver's license number, address, and number.

If for whatever reason the new owner doesn't register it but they get parking tickets or something of the sort, all that stuff will go to them, not you.

This. You beat me to it.

Live2Slide
04-27-2011, 11:45 AM
yeah I had someone buy a car from me once and get parking tickets in my name mailed to my house because he didnt switch the title, if you cant take responsibility for owning a car you shouldnt own one

:snoop:

Wtf are you talking about? I said its not registered because car won't pass smog since the previous owner took out the cats. U trying to lecture me or something? I know its my job as the buyer to register it and I haven't drove ut since I bought it its just parked in my driveway

esRtwenty
04-28-2011, 10:44 PM
if anyone is for sure about what happens, I would also like to know, going through a similar situation thanks

Rally240sx.com
04-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Wtf are you talking about? I said its not registered because car won't pass smog since the previous owner took out the cats. U trying to lecture me or something? I know its my job as the buyer to register it and I haven't drove ut since I bought it its just parked in my driveway

not trying to lecture you, just saying do shit right save ur self and others headaches. reg-non op and part it out from ur driveway, probably the best thing for you.

Rally240sx.com
04-29-2011, 07:42 AM

I did that and still got a ticket in the mail??? go figure??

STEEZxIT
04-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Why not register it non-op?

If you dont register it, the clock and fees keeps ticking. It doesnt matter if you leave that date blank.

I made a mistake of not registering my car for 2 yrs. Came out to be $600 in fee's and what-not. IDK why i didnt, mistake ill never do.

Besides if the new owner gotten a parking ticket/ red light ticket, As long as the previous owner have the original Bill of sale, Court will dismiss the ticket and it will go to the new owner.

You can also do the bill of sale online now.

Rally240sx.com
04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Why not register it non-op?

Besides if the new owner gotten a parking ticket/ red light ticket, As long as the previous owner have the original Bill of sale, Court will dismiss the ticket and it will go to the new owner.

still a hassle for the seller and a "dickish" thing of the buyer to do

Live2Slide
04-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Does nobody read whole threads anymore?
I said I was registering the car, no point in registering as non op if I'm doing it on Monday