PDA

View Full Version : Sat for winter, having major issues.

Nismo240driftSX
04-26-2011, 10:59 AM
I have a 91 Hatch with a KA24DET running a T30TO4E turbo with a JWT ecu. It's been tuned and I bought the car last year and everything was great. I put it away for the winter and tried taking it out a few weeks ago. I changed the plugs and put a new battery in and tried firing it up. After a while of cranking it finally started up. It idoled at 500 rpms and rev limited at 2k.

I've done the research and all signs pointed to the MAF. I replaced the MAF (G60 since thats what its tuned for). Anyway, it's also blowing black smoke. My friends and I are all pretty much clueless as to what it might be now.

Could it be that the car needs to be re-tuned? Could it be a cylinder misfiring? There are no vacuum leaks that we have found. It was perfectly fine when I parked it and now it will hardly run and isn't drivable. I put a fresh tank of gas in and injector cleaner into the tank. Suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sr20sean
04-26-2011, 11:01 AM
mice? they tend to like to fuck around in cars during the winter check your wiring

Nismo240driftSX
04-26-2011, 01:27 PM
All of the wiring looks fine from the top, although I havent jacked the car up yet.

GeneralTso
04-26-2011, 01:32 PM
probably gunked up injectors or lines.get some cleaner and run it through and let it idle for a bit.

Nismo240driftSX
04-26-2011, 03:45 PM
probably gunked up injectors or lines.get some cleaner and run it through and let it idle for a bit.

Ran the cleaner through when I did fresh gas. The car has ran for probably a half an hour total. The black smoke and rev limiter is key. I cant rev the car up past 3k and its idoling very rough. The turbo isnt blown or spitting oil so thats not the reason for the smoke.

camaro379ss
04-26-2011, 05:31 PM
have you check your fuel pressure?

Nismo240driftSX
04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
have you check your fuel pressure?

Didnt't.... would that make my car not rev up? I'll put it on my list of things to check.

Nismo240driftSX
04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Anyone else? I'm working on the car tomorrow, so I just wanna know if there is anything else I should add to my list.

HOOCH
04-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I would pick up a can of sea-foam and dump it in the intake like it recommends, check fuel pressure, check fuel filter, check your plugs for color also keep in mind fuel goes bad in 6 weeks.

Nismo240driftSX
04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Although I put new plugs and a full tank of gas in just a week ago when I took the car out of the garage.

HOOCH
04-28-2011, 01:00 PM
The reason i say check the plugs cause it will give you an idea if all your cylinders are doing the same thing if there soaked in fuel or what! Im sure there good but if you were running super rich for whatever reason (which black smoke is an indicator of lots of fuel) you could foul a plug in a matter of few mins. But like i said try the sea-foam im a huge fan of it i do it to my cars every oil change!

Nismo240driftSX
04-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Okay, so I'm currently working on the car with my brother. Plugs are fouled so its obviously running rich. We changed the cap and rotor and the idol became pretty much normal at around 1k. If I rev it up, now it goes to 4500 rpms and promptly stops and dies back down (not bouncing like a rev limiter anymore). The idol immediately becomes rough for a few seconds until it regains itself and goes back to 1k. Everytime I give it gas, it acts as though it wants to die once I let off and chokes. We are about to check the injectors for fuel leaks out of the o-rings. Also, the smoke was black running very rich, but after warming up for about 10 mins the color changed to whitish, but we can still smell gas. My brother wonders if possibly the coolant temp. sensor could also cause a problem. Any imput?

Nismo240driftSX
04-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Just checked the fuel rail, no leaky injectors. My brother is convinced its fuel related.

fliprayzin240sx
04-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Coolant temp sensor could cause the black smog and bogging. But that would only apply if the engine runs perfectly fine when cold and gets progressively worst as it starts to warm up.

Nismo240driftSX
04-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Well, thank you guys for all of the advice. I regret to say I wasted all of your time. I made a simple mistake that inevitably all of us car builders will make in our lives. During the winter, I went to prep my car for engine work. I took the intake off and the coldpipe hose that connects to the bottom of the turbo off on one side. I decided to wait to do engine work, in which case I connected everything back up.....except that hose connecting the cold pipe to the turbo... :embarassed: I cant tell you while messing with spark stuff how many times I practically had my hand on that hose without noticing one side wasnt connected. Oh well. I got my daily back and its running great now. Thank you all for everything!