PDA

View Full Version : Squeal noise comming from under the hood

marryson
04-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I have Squeal noise comming from under the hood. seems to me it is comming from the middle somewhere. whenever I start the car is makes a HUGE squeal noise. I changed all my bad belts and installed a new fan clutch already. but the problem still exist. heres the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwL71F6gVWs> any help is much appreciated.

Rally240sx.com
04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
did u tighten the belts up good?

statickx991
04-25-2011, 09:09 PM
have you replaced anything like pulley wise? as in power steering pump or anything. to me kinda sounds like the pulleys arnt in line. just a idea. and make sure your belts arnt to tight also

marryson
04-25-2011, 09:12 PM
thx for the lightning quick reply:hyper: Im pretty sure my belts are tight enough but not too tight. maybe except for the outer one (the one with water pump and power steering) I tightened it to the max but it still feel pretty loose. maybe thats the problem? and no I did not replace any nothing other than the worn belts and the fan clutch

statickx991
04-25-2011, 09:15 PM
could be that. really sounds like belts to me thought. take a spray bottle and start the car and spray one belt at a time and it the noise goes away you know which one it is.

marryson
04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
could be that. really sounds like belts to me thought. take a spray bottle and start the car and spray one belt at a time and it the noise goes away you know which one it is.
so you mean it is the belt slipping on the pulley because it is too loose? but do you know why it only makes the noise when rpm is above 1000? I will try spraying water tmr. thx for the suggestion.

statickx991
04-25-2011, 10:02 PM
nope not saying its slipping, a pulley could be glazed or something or the pulleys out of line. but that will help you figure out at least what one it is then go from there. i used to do that all the time at work. oh sorry i didnt say ,use water lol

camaro379ss
04-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Definitely DONT use water. Use brake clean to spray on the belts since it will evaporate fairly quick.

When you say you changed all your bad belts what belt did you not change? Really sounds like to me that you have a belt either too loose or too tight. And if you drive with it like this for a bit it will glaze the belt causing you to need to replace them again.

future
04-26-2011, 06:14 PM
^brake clean. Smart man

marryson
04-26-2011, 08:47 PM
problem solved. it was the water pump, power steering belt. it was too loose and glazed. replaced with a new belt, noise is gone. thx for your help guys

statickx991
04-26-2011, 09:05 PM
nice congrats! and btw water wont hurt anything and when its just a mist it dries just as fast as anything. maybe 2 secs later

camaro379ss
04-27-2011, 06:24 AM
If you spray water it can cause more belt squeal. Water wont hurt anything but generally it wont help either.

marryson
04-27-2011, 09:31 PM
dam! thought I fixed it! the noise actually came back.... so it not the belt, has to be something that the first belt drives. cuz when I remove the belt, the noise is gone.