PDA

View Full Version : When did driting start to get popular?

NiteKids
10-12-2003, 10:47 PM
What particular event or person really pushed drifting in the states? What it the very first Drift Show off? Was it Moto P and drift Days? What caused this phenomenom to really start to take off in the states? Was it Super Streets influence?

ca18guy
10-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Initial D and Super Street pushing it. Those two really started the ball rolling about a year and a half ago.

-moving to OT...

DRFT
10-12-2003, 11:34 PM
mainly super street.too much coverage, but it doesn't exactly mean its a bad thing though, but too many kids are getting in to it w/out knowing what might happen to their cars.

Kid Zelda
10-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by NiteKids
What particular event or person really pushed drifting in the states?

When NITEKIDS bought an S14 with a "silvia" front end .. yup ..
you the man

hondaguy
10-13-2003, 12:46 AM
who wants to bet that everyones gonna want to do it and when they do there gonna do it on the streets and cause accidents,just like street racing.back in 98 there would be like 15 people at the spot now theres over like 100 and its got outta hand,i just pray that noe1 fawks things up for grip/drift drivers.....at least for a while:p

Flybert
10-13-2003, 01:08 AM
I don't think it will ever truely blow up because this is a freaking way expensive sport if you wanna do it right. In addition, anyone can street race but to drift you need to have a moderate amount of driving skill or else you will seriously eff up your car, especially if you do it on the street. I think a lot of people will show up to events but people won't actually be doing this stuff with their own cars. My 2 cents.

s13silady
10-13-2003, 05:52 AM
everyones going to try to do it though... because drifting videos are way to easy to get on the internet... and they make it look so simple... there are people out there that would be like "ppppssshh.. i can do that" and end up trying it...
as for the coverage in magazines, i like it.. good pictures, nice cars, just the captions and the articles make me laugh...

aznpoopy
10-13-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by ca18guy
Initial D and Super Street pushing it.

agreed. initial D is how i got introduced to drift anyway. lol. but don't flame me yet. i don't really drift nor do i want to be a drifter. super street pushed it as something 'new' and 'different.' i think they recognized that honda + drag was getting stale and they wanted to stay on something 'cutting edge' so they pushed drift and 240's. initial D was just a great anime all around. i and most people i know watched it way before it was ever released here. now that its actually on cable... expect the scene to blow up even more. drift + cable + noob drivers = lots of wrecked cars and dead kids.

KiDyNomiTe
10-13-2003, 09:22 AM
If anything its a mix of Initial D, Option Vids spreading over the internet, and forums.

The mags just went with what was hot. I saw "drift" cars in mags, and for the most part they were just really beat up cars with mismatched wheels and didn't look all to great.

Zemus
10-13-2003, 09:29 AM
Initial D, and Super Street

nuff said

kazuo
10-13-2003, 12:59 PM
It was Initial D.

But honestly, who cares?!

:P

TRUENOCOUPE
10-13-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by ca18guy
Initial D and Super Street pushing it. Those two really started the ball rolling about a year and a half ago.

-moving to OT...

REALLY?

Well, my experienced.

I started doing DD's, speedtrialUSA and Battleversion event. The Drift scene started to really get popular this year IMO when Ikaten event, DD and D1.

I know Speedtrial USA have done plenty of Drift Events. Then I was passed on to private events with speedtrial and Club4ag finally had step it up. I don't read mags or watch too many cartoons so I wouldn't really know about SS and ID thang.

Dousan_PG
10-13-2003, 03:23 PM
werd
i remember those speedtrial car control groups. group c (that's when istarted to participate/really get into doing it, not watching it)
good times. back when the first time d1 drivers/japanese came over (shinji and ack..i forget his name..begins with "H" i think). i remember watchign that day. it was great to see japanese drivers at buttonwillow. loads of fun!

yeah then the dds started too. after ikaten in jan last year i think it started building up alot and drift days started selling out FAST as everything started to blow up. now...not at its peak yet. next year is going to be INSANE. at least i think so..

Driftn240sx
10-13-2003, 03:31 PM
i know I am going to get flamed but I have never seen an Initial D show. I dont get it here on cable.

RBS14
10-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Driftn240sx
i know I am going to get flamed but I have never seen an Initial D show. I dont get it here on cable.

hahahahahaha. its not on cable, its on videos you can download/buy online.

But back to the subject at hand, i remember what got me into it, riding with a couple homies at a speedtrials event at the streets of willow. You know who you are ;) Thanks guys!! Now im just like every other internet drifter on here. :aw:

TRUENOCOUPE
10-13-2003, 03:41 PM
When Speedtrial used to have two days event. I use to attend to those.

Saturday - Car Control Group - C

Sunday - Newbie Gripper.

Heres a pic of my car last year coming home from Speedtrial event when my clutch got ****ed up.

I ran out of Ziptie so I had to used Ductapes. Thats my bro driving BTW: It was hot ass hell that day lucky I was driving my suburban hahahha.

http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/truenocoupe/ductaperacing.jpg

G_Fish240
10-13-2003, 07:09 PM
i didnt know what drifting was till i moved to okinawa when i was in 8th