PDA

View Full Version : For those who lilke to grocery shop in SoCal.

zero.counter
10-12-2003, 09:54 PM
From CNN:
LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Facing "major cuts" in salary and benefits, nearly 70,000 grocery store workers -- ranging from cashiers, to meat cutters, to pharmacists -- went on strike in southern California late Saturday, after failing to come to an agreement with their employers, according to a union spokeswoman.
Uh Oh (http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/12/calif.grocery.strike/index.html)

Maeda
10-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Ralphs is a block from my house~

Its nice to see people standing up for something these days.

RoNiN240sx
10-13-2003, 12:13 AM
yah just about every single grocery store out here has people on strike. i saw some people out at like 1 in the morning sunday protesting, crazy.

hondaguy
10-13-2003, 12:40 AM
man these people are on strike for a window shop and the funny thing about it is...theyve been on strike for like 9-10 months now,i would just say:fawk2: it and try and find me another job but at least there not giving up tho.:bigok:

S13SilviaGirl
10-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Yeah, they have been on and off of strike for a while now, but ya know, they keep getting the shaft. If it isnt one thing it is another. I give them all credit for fighting the big chains...my dad works for one and everytime they strike it is hard to know what will happen next...

720_datsun
10-15-2003, 01:21 PM
yeah my friend back home went into vons er albertsons and got the box of coke too the coke out and filled it with beer cans. guys crazy. let em keep striking there losing money.

Dousan_PG
10-15-2003, 01:26 PM
i honk my horn when i drive by
now i go to other markets (local small ones) might cost more but its worth it. i suggest to friends they do the same

big company execs get MILLION dollar bonuses yearly---no matter how the company does. and then they are too cheap to give small payraises and cut people's benefits because they are greedy.

i support the strike. dont be a scab.

also please honk your horn of your car or cheer for them. they are out there walking the line and not making more then a few bucks or nothing at all. they enjoy and need the support and it keeps them motivated and strong. them and their familys suffer becuse they arent making much at all walking the line.

think if you went on strike today, would you have enough money to support yourself as long as this strike is going on for already? most wouldnt. they are no exception

S13SilviaGirl
10-15-2003, 07:43 PM
Aaron,
you are a good man! I know they do appreciate your support...

chokudoriS13
10-15-2003, 09:24 PM
I'm going to sound cruel or heartless, but here goes. Unions are worthless, and hurt the economy in the long run. If you've ever taken an Econ class, you'd understand (I have a B.S. in Econ.). Unions distort the wage rates that would otherwise be naturally determined. If you read up on the strike, you'd understand how miniscule these demands really are. $10 a month for health insurance and $45 for a family of four? And all this while making $15-20 an hour? How dare you complain when you make $20/hr bagging groceries and pressing little buttons on a cash register. Most of my college-educated friends don't make anywhere near that! I usually have a progressive and liberal view on things, but organized labor is not one of those things.

Got Sileighty?
10-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by chokudoriS13
Most of my college-educated friends don't make anywhere near that!

:aw: thats so true :cry: :cry:

but theres no way they make $15-20/hr. except maybe those that have been there for like 10+ yrs. if not then im quitting my job tomorrow.

so what exactly are they protesting? ive heard 2 different things. one is that theyre gonna cutoff health coverage for dependents. then i heard that the employees are gonna have to start paying for health coverage. if its the latter, then wtf is the big deal? i work in health insurance and I HAVE TO PAY for coverage.

Anubis
10-15-2003, 11:12 PM
When i drive by i hurl curse words and make obscene gestures with my hands and body, mainly because everytime i try to use the ATM in vons, like 15 disgruntled employees jump on my ass.

NiteKids
10-15-2003, 11:53 PM
Having the employees on strike I notice quite a few hotass white gurls on strike protesting! I was like oh **** I didn't know that fine peice of ass worked there close to me! :eek:

rancid240
10-16-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by NiteKids
Having the employees on strike I notice quite a few hotass white gurls on strike protesting! I was like oh **** I didn't know that fine peice of ass worked there close to me! :eek:

And todays award for the Most Intelligent Post goes to....

;)