PDA

View Full Version : Altima fans

rbpwrd240
04-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Im wiring up some 95 altima fans to my S14 problem is I cant and or dont understand any of the writeups, atleast enough to install them.

When my old fan took a shit it was death by 50 gallon contractor trash bag that floated under the car while I was at a stop light. It got sucked into the engine bay and shreaded the electric fan and its wiring harness past the plug.

All the write ups I have found use the factory fan plug for the first fan and I dont have that option. I need to wire in the first fan using the altima plugs which I have. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which wires go where.

Also I need to figure out how to install the second fan using stock functionality, Iv read about using factory relays in the fuse box but I was hoping someone could simplify the wiring instructions for me.

Thanks
Alex R.
:drama:

codyace
04-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Google.com rocks.

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=155414

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/bdenton180sx/AltimaFanWiringDiagram.jpg

Or using factory: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/wiring-altima-electric-fans-into-an-s14.html

My personal setup has the one side on low speed all the time, triggered via ignition switched 12v power. The other side comes on high using the Derale controller. Never ever have had an issue. Some people do not run either fan until a sepcific temp, but I opted against that in lieu of having the one on low all the time.

chituntang
04-24-2011, 12:57 PM
The better write ups have the color of the wirings for both Altima fans and S chassis itself. For the second fan, you will have to use another method to activate it. The cheap way would be ignition power (fan turns on when car is on), or you can buy a fan controller.

To get the most out of the fan though, use 1 relay for each fan speed, 4 total. I have run 1, 2, 3, and 4 relays setups and 4 relays will have the fan running faster than the other options, and it is better for the wiring because the fans demand more power than what the relays offers when you running less that 4 of them.

rbpwrd240
04-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Here is what I know maybe someone can fill in the gaps for me.

Each Altima fan has 4 wires coming out of it that go to the plug. The wires split into two pairs. One pair (green and yellow) go into one side of the fan motor and the other pair (black and blue) go into the other side of the fan motor. I know this is probably for the low and high speed function in the fans. I dont know which pair is low or high speed. I do know...

Wires coming out of each fan
Yellow
------ Ground
Black

Green
------ Signal from ecu (One is high speed one is low)
Blue

On my 98, S14 Kouki the fan harness colors before the plug (mine is missing) are...

Black
Black
red/white
white/brown

I know the S14 fan had two speeds so im sure that the blacks are grounds and that the other combo colors are power but I need to know which one is high speed and which one is low speed.

I have been told I need 4 relays and atleast two 30 amp fuses. I think two of the relays and one of the 30 amp fuses should already be in place, right? For the original factory fan?

Can someone explain all this to me? Wiring isnt my strong suit. I know I can probably go get both fsm's and figure it out but im hoping someone here can help me out.

Thanks in advance
Alex R.

orion::S14
04-24-2011, 08:02 PM
There is no low or high dedicated wire.

With ONLY green -or- ONLY blue hooked up to 12v, it will run low speed.

BOTH green and blue hooked up to 12v, you get high. Quite simple.

- Brian

rbpwrd240
04-24-2011, 09:48 PM
How does the factory S14 switch on and off the high and low speeds by these wires? How can I make both fans come on at low and at hgih speeds?

Thanks
Alex R.

codyace
04-24-2011, 10:48 PM
How does the factory S14 switch on and off the high and low speeds by these wires? How can I make both fans come on at low and at hgih speeds?

Thanks
Alex R.

It doesn't, that's why you need a secondary controller. Derale makes some nice temp activated ones.

codyace
04-24-2011, 10:49 PM
There is no low or high dedicated wire.

With ONLY green -or- ONLY blue hooked up to 12v, it will run low speed.

BOTH green and blue hooked up to 12v, you get high. Quite simple.

- Brian

So true, so true.

I don't know why the one guy above has a 4 relay setup, that's way overkill. I have 2, again one running the driver side fan low speed at all time, the other activated by the derale controller to kick the pass. side one on high speed once the temp crests 185 or so degrees.

chituntang
04-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Actually, the wires will be a little warm and the fans run slower with 2 relays compare to running 4 relays. But maybe because I am running stock relays.

However, I have not make 1 fan running at low speed when AC comes on.

rbpwrd240
04-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Ok guys iv been beating my self up on how to wire in the altima fans.

Here is where im at now...

Factory wiring for the S14 is already running through two relays correct? If so I need to add two more relays and i need to add one thirty amp fuse to the system correct?

So...
I need to go to the relay box under the hood and just add one to an existing plug that isnt used? Then I need to add a 30 amp fuse somewhere? Im not sure where to put it, any ideas? Im going to solder the leads together to run one fan off the existing wires the old fan was plug into, I just need to conect signal to signal and ground to ground, right?

That takes care of one fan for the other I wire the signal into the relay as per this diagram. (The second one)
Wiring Altima electric fans into an S14 – NICO Club (http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/wiring-altima-electric-fans-into-an-s14.html)

Thanks guys please if you can make this stupid proof for me I would greatly appreciate it.

rbpwrd240
04-27-2011, 03:57 PM
****thank you***

S14DB
04-27-2011, 04:09 PM
mods please close im going to open another thread in the tech section. ****thank you***

Why???

Moved to tech section.

rbpwrd240
04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Okay thanks!

Ok guys I just got done finishing the final cutting on the fan shroud and I hit the wires on the 240 with a test light. They still work! Even after a year of dangling in the elements! I need to do a finale instal on the fans and solder in the altima fan plugs which I guess are the same as the S14 ones. That gets me one fan going but I really want to have both running with factory functionlity. I need to add one thirty amp fuse and two more relays inside the factory fuse box thats under the hood.

The relays are going to take up the empty spots in my fuse box thats under the hood. Where can I put the new thirty amp fuse for the new fan? I want to keep the factory look as much as possible. Im hoping someone can tell me a spot that makes it plug and play. Im so seriuse about the OEM look im going to have a sticker maker redo my fuse box cover. LOL

I as wondering can I split the low and high signal wires (marked on fuse box as...) before they get to the fuse box and run a jumper to the new fuse and then the relays? If so where does the fuse go in the order of things?

Thanks guys I appreciate any help and all the patience.
Alex R.

chituntang
04-27-2011, 07:28 PM
If you want the factory look and do the factory fuses, you can take apart the stock fuse box and wire your own fuses in. Go to a junkyard and you will find the extra wiring and fuse plugs needed.

rbpwrd240
04-27-2011, 07:35 PM
It doesn't, that's why you need a secondary controller. Derale makes some nice temp activated ones.

I would beg to differ. The fuse box cover the fsm and a few write ups diferentiate between high and low relays as well as signal wires. Did they just choose one to be low and one to be high?

Curiouse?:duh:

chituntang
04-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, it is ideal to use an additional fan controller to have 1 fan running at 18X F, as this is the ideal coolant temperature when engine is running.

The stock e-fan is used in 2 cases - when AC is on and when coolant overheat. So, if you use the stock plug for both fans, your engine will run at a temperature of 200F or higher as there is no clutch fan to cool the coolant in normal condition.

codyace
04-27-2011, 11:03 PM
I would beg to differ. The fuse box cover the fsm and a few write ups diferentiate between high and low relays as well as signal wires. Did they just choose one to be low and one to be high?

Curiouse?:duh:

Relay one runs Fan one low speed all time
Relay two (bult into the controller) runs fan two high speed at temp enabled setting
I never trusted the factory stuff as while it maybe temp initiated, I believed in my standalone setup more. Plus it provided true control over both fans.

After 30+ track days, and 6+ years, It works. At the point I installed these I went with what I had done on other cars and ran with it. To this day, I'd rather trust it's own setup like I run it.

S14DB
04-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Well, it is ideal to use an additional fan controller to have 1 fan running at 18X F, as this is the ideal coolant temperature when engine is running.

The stock e-fan is used in 2 cases - when AC is on and when coolant overheat. So, if you use the stock plug for both fans, your engine will run at a temperature of 200F or higher as there is no clutch fan to cool the coolant in normal condition.

Exactly, the Altima only uses Electric Fans. The 240sx uses The clutch fan for cooling and the electrics mainly for AC. Only when the car is about to overheat does it turn the electric fans on. More emergency then something to drive on.

Use controller and use the stock low speed trigger to the AC input on the controller.

rbpwrd240
04-28-2011, 08:26 AM
I will still be utilizing my facotry clutch fan for now. I dont trust just an electric fan for these texas temps. I dont want to spend the extra money on a fan controller when my ecu can do it for me. Plus I love OEM I realy dont want a fan controlller hanging around somewhere.

Thanks for all the help guys, please keep it coming as I finish up this install. I am going this weekend to strip the relays and fuzzes from one of my 300zx's. Im going to hopefully stick them into my factory fuze box in the dead space.

I still need to know if I can tap the signal wire running to the stock relays that used to control the origianl two speed fan. If so where can I tap into them? Before the fuse box under the hood?

Thanks guys

codyace
04-28-2011, 11:16 AM
I will still be utilizing my facotry clutch fan for now. I dont trust just an electric fan for these texas temps. I dont want to spend the extra money on a fan controller when my ecu can do it for me. Plus I love OEM I realy dont want a fan controlller hanging around somewhere.

Thanks for all the help guys, please keep it coming as I finish up this install. I am going this weekend to strip the relays and fuzzes from one of my 300zx's. Im going to hopefully stick them into my factory fuze box in the dead space.

I still need to know if I can tap the signal wire running to the stock relays that used to control the origianl two speed fan. If so where can I tap into them? Before the fuse box under the hood?

Thanks guys

I think you're really missing the point and or what we're trying to say. The factory setup is only (as pointed out above by S14DB) is set for the emergency/air conditiong activated E fan in the front. That fan relay isn't rated to run aftermarket fans at all, aside from providing a signal to an aftermarket relay setup.

Honestly, if you can't afford to setup a proper aftermarket controller (they are like 30 bucks) and a few relays/wire, then you should leave well enough alone and stick with the mechanical fan.

And what makes you think 'texas heat' is to much for E-fans? 90* and humid is HELL on a turbo car (more so than 100 and dry).

rbpwrd240
04-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I think you're really missing the point and or what we're trying to say. The factory setup is only (as pointed out above by S14DB) is set for the emergency/air conditiong activated E fan in the front. That fan relay isn't rated to run aftermarket fans at all, aside from providing a signal to an aftermarket relay setup.

Honestly, if you can't afford to setup a proper aftermarket controller (they are like 30 bucks) and a few relays/wire, then you should leave well enough alone and stick with the mechanical fan.

And what makes you think 'texas heat' is to much for E-fans? 90* and humid is HELL on a turbo car (more so than 100 and dry).

From what I have come to understand I disagree. If I double the relays and the fuzes the car should do just fine. I dont see why allowing the ecu to do its job is an issue? Not trying to be rude just trying to understand. I dont track my car at the moment so i think this setup will be fine for me.

Can someone tell me where to pu the fuse and how to tap the current signal wire.

Thanks.

chituntang
04-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Well, your made a thread about using the Altima fans and to our understanding (people who are trying to give you advice), non of us have ever run them with the stock clutch fan in place. I highly doubt you can fit both of them at the same time.

There is no reason to "upgrade" your clutch fan to a e-fan setup, as there is no real life advantage. We can talk about freeing up a few ponies, but your ass dyno will not feel the difference between 150whp and 155whp. Plus e-fan does not really cool better/worse than a clutch fan, unless you get one that out-flow the other along with proper shrouding.

Again, stock ecu trigger the fans when AC is on and/or when coolant overheats. Your engine will run at a much higher temp.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4143/11relayboxclean.jpg

This is what the stock fuse/relay box looks like, you can lift the trays for the relays and fuses. Then you will see how the stock unit is wired, and you can use junkyard or custom parts to make your stuff stock-ish. However, there is only one extra relay holder in the box. I had the luck to find another tray where it is holding relays only to hold the 2 extra relays.

And if you know how a relay works, you will be able to find the ecu trigger signal. Then it is a matter of tapping the wire and just it for other relays to trigger your fan.

rbpwrd240
04-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Here is a few pics of what Iv done so far.

Here is one of the fans after triming. Notice the plug on the driver side of the fan is 180 degree of the factory position but still utilizes the factory mount. I will zip tie the other clip in place after the wiring is done. I wasnt able to flip this clip like the other one becouse the fan shroud got in the way.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/rbpwrd240/112_0031.jpg

I wasnt very happy about having to loose the whole passenger side of the shroud but it was the only way I could get it in there. Im not proud of the triming but it got the job done.:-/

Here is a picture of my fuse box under the hood. Notice the plug pre wired for fog lights and the two empty spaces. The top one was for ABS fuses. Im going to insert two 30 amp relays into these holes.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll264/rbpwrd240/112_0024.jpg

My finale plan is to do the following.

Insert two 30 amp relays that are from a 300zx that I have just rotting to death in storage, into the two empty spaces in my fuse box.

Im going to tap into both the ecu signal wires BEFORE they get to the fuse box and run the new taps to the new high and low relays. Im going to send signal from a 12v power source and ignition to the relay then the out is to the signal wires on the fans.

Now my last question is Where do I put the fuse? I was thinking that I might try two 20 amp fuses. One on each wire after the tap before the fuse box but then if something happens at the fan it will kill the relay beofre it hits the fuse right? So the fuse needs to be after the relay before the fans on the signal wires right? Do I need to worry about adding fuses where I tap into the 12v and ign power?

Thanks again
Alex R.

S14DB
04-29-2011, 07:14 PM
If you are running the clutch fan. Put the stock electric fan and shroud back on. The clutch fan will be useless without the shroud.

rbpwrd240
04-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Read first post....

I no longer have a stock electric fan, it was death by 50 gallon contractor trash bag.

I know I can take the clutch fan off and I might later.