PDA

View Full Version : ka24de firing on one cylinder????

LSXMisfit
04-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Okay, so recently I found out that the S13 I bought had SR20 injectors put on it for some idiotic reason. The engine is bone stock, and all it was doing was running rich as all hell. I had a set of stock KA injectors in the car, so today I finally got around to trying to put them in. This is where the fun begins....

The injectors came in a spare fuel rail, I believe for an SR20, since it clearly wasnt the KA fuel rail. After spending an hour getting the things pulled from the fuel rail(it was nasty, rusted to hell inside) and cleaning the injectors, I put them in my car. I had to buy a new one since one of the injectors broke attempting to get it out of the old fuel rail.

After I got them all in and fired it up, I can tell its not running right. I start unplugging injectors one at a time to see which one didn't cause a pitch in idle, which happened to be number 2. I didnt want to buy another injector, and for troubleshooting purposes, I simply put an SR20 injector back in as a quick fix. Still nothing.

Alright, fair enough. I start swapping spark plug wires to see if its a bad wire or spark plug. No joy. Shocked the shit out of myself no less than 5 times from the distributor arcing whenever I would pull a wire off or put one back on. Used a multimeter to test the voltage on the distributor, checked fine, same for the wire. Even took out the spark plug, put it in the wire and grounded it out to the frame, spark plug is fine. What the shit.

This is where things get real weird. It starts running ragged, drops another cylinder, hard time starting. I said fuck it, put all the old injectors back in except the new one. I start it up to move it around to the front of the store and on the way there, I've got white smoke coming out of my exhaust, a heavy fuel smell, and a wild idle going from 200-1500 rpm and back again rapidly. It stalls out, I finally get it started again. Once I park I open the hood and get hit in the face with the worst smell of gas. There's gas coming from around 2 of the header pipes, more coming out of the merger pipe, its pouring out of the muffler. FUCKING AY!

Finally it just dies out. Refuses to start. Keep in mind all the old injectors are back in. Clearly the engine is flooded, so I took out the spark plugs to let some of the gas evap out. Looking down into the cylinders, its pooled in there. I'm at an absolute loss. All the spark plugs work fine, yet it just wouldnt burn. I ended up calling AAA and had it dropped off at a shop since I needed it moved and my house was too far away and I wanted to go home after 5 hours of frustration. Any thoughts? Any at all? Everyone I talked to has never heard of this before.

luvestoospooge
04-24-2011, 02:39 AM
did you use new o rings on the injectors? sounds like the bottom ones were shot to shit, maybe other issues also but i always use new o rings or even better the kit with all the seals for one injector, one, cause if their dry at all or you didnt lube the o rings up before you put them in the rail, they bust/split really easy. they cost almost nothing and are a good piece of mind to change while you have it apart, especially considering how fuel can leak directly into the intake and cause fires and shit, reason 1 why i have no carpet in my 240, the more you know lol :wan:

LSXMisfit
04-24-2011, 04:21 AM
Having dry or fucked o rings will do that?

Im no stranger to the sort of enigmas orings can cause, I've played paintball for over 12 years, but I thought it might be more obvious here. However, that doesn't explain why the fuel is just getting dumped and not ignited

Pro ViZIon
04-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Because the cylinder would be flooded with fuel. Possibly blowing the spark out or fouling the plugs. If there's too much fuel there's not gonna be an appropriate air/fuel ratio to burn.

luvestoospooge
04-25-2011, 03:29 PM
yes the injectors sit "inside" the fuel rail, its not like a honda or something that has one connection in the top, their submerged in fuel, and if that o ring busts 40-50 psi of fuel is gonna go rite past the weak spot into the intake, also they seem to be pretty picky if the injectors are obd1 or obd2, or from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive, i had ahellova time getting injectors that worked "good" in mine, from vacuum leaks to the o rings busting, they fuck up easy as i said.. and watch out dumping that much fuel is gonna melt your cat, i lost all my carpet and melted my center console driving mine messed up.