PDA

View Full Version : Scion FR-S Debut in New York

exitspeed
04-20-2011, 09:21 AM
It's still not an actual production car, which bums me out a little, but it's cool seeing the evolution from the FT86, to the FT86 II to this. I like this one the most by far.

Discuss. BTW West and RJF are there and covering the event live.

http://toyobaru.net/gallery/data/502/Scion-FR-S-Preview1.jpg
http://toyobaru.net/gallery/data/502/medium/Scion-FR-S-Preview.jpeg

Future240
04-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Dammit! You beat me to it lol.

I'm so syked to see what's going to be under the hood.

revcyanide
04-20-2011, 09:46 AM
meh maybe theyl confirm engine specs and weight at the "big unveiling"

enkei2k
04-20-2011, 09:52 AM
i'll be there.. this looks like an interesting car. looks very aggressive and i wonder what the engine is...probably a 2.0T? i can't wait to see it this weekend. :D

thrax
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
very interesting

ronmcdon
04-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Yeah it does appear more aggressive. Very sleek as well.
It may not be anything concrete, as the release date is still some ways off.
I do like the aesthetic direction it's headed though.

It should sell well as long as the specs and pricing are half decent.
I don't think it even needs to keep up with the performance of the V6 mustang, 3.8R gen coupe, etc
(even though it would be great if it did).

DrftSLowHomIe!!
04-20-2011, 10:08 AM
any idea what the MSRP would be?

simmode1
04-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Those wheels look ginormous. I'm hopeful about this car, but I'm doubtful its gonna beat the 2012 2.0T Genesis Coupe's value or performance. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does...

exitspeed
04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
any idea what the MSRP would be?

They have not said. Sources have reported anything from $17,000-$35,000. Although Toyota themselves have said that the point of the car is to be lightweight, low power, and affordable. IMO, the car will range from $19,000-$28,000 with the sweet spot being $25,000.

simmode1
04-20-2011, 10:32 AM
^^^That would be great. But last time I heard, I heard they decided to go more upscale/upmarket with it & it was getting heavier & eclipsing $30k. I hope that's not true.

I'd be extremely happy if it were a 2.0 N/A boxer motor with 200whp weighing in at or under 2800lbs like the original target...

tricky_ab
04-20-2011, 10:35 AM
They have not said. Sources have reported anything from $17,000-$35,000. Although Toyota themselves have said that the point of the car is to be lightweight, low power, and affordable. IMO, the car will range from $19,000-$28,000 with the sweet spot being $25,000.

This makes the most sense to me...I hope they stick to their guns when they finally announce the production model.

exitspeed
04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
^^^That would be great. But last time I heard, I heard they decided to go more upscale/upmarket with it & it was getting heavier & eclipsing $30k. I hope that's not true.

I'd be extremely happy if it were a 2.0 N/A boxer motor with 200whp weighing in at or under 2800lbs like the original target...

Yeah, that "last you heard" wasn't from Toyota. That's the tricky part about all of this, is you have to try and weed out what Toyota themselves are saying, vs the rumors from this magazine or that magazine. Last Toyota themselves said anything about price they were still talking affordable. Some other sources have been reporting otherwise. I don't believe anything I don't hear/read directly from Toyota. HOPEFULLY we will hear some actual concrete info from the show.

lawrenceyang
04-20-2011, 11:26 AM
why are they badging it under scion ? toyota is much more prestigious -______-

usdm180sx
04-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Exactly. Scion didn't make the AE86 Toyota did.

exitspeed
04-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Scion needs a serious boost in sales. The brand is doing really bad.

Honestly I don't care what they call it as long as it comes out and it's what they have been saying it is.

Future240
04-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Plus scion is geared more to the youthful sport oriented side and Toyota more sedan older set.

I am really hoping the engine is boosted with 205-220 hp factory with a stout engine that can handle mods.

ronmcdon
04-20-2011, 11:54 AM
i don't know how well the demographic based marketing is doing.
most scion drivers I've seen are probably closer to middle aged & seniors.
I think in the end, badge engineering's effect is limited at best.

but whatever, makes little difference to me whether it gets released as a toyota or scion.
maybe the image of driving a scion is a bit uncool for some, but i could care less.

Those wheels look ginormous. I'm hopeful about this car, but I'm doubtful its gonna beat the 2012 2.0T Genesis Coupe's value or performance. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does...

That's another thing to keep an eye on, although I'm more impartial to the V6.
Supposedly gets a decent power & torque increase to a speculated 330hp/291tq.
Can't wait to see.

exitspeed
04-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Toyota has said that this car is all about handling. They aren't going for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times here. It's kind of the same idea as the Miata.

BustedS13
04-20-2011, 12:31 PM
two things
for some reason i really like the giant "SCION" on the hatch. reminds me of the 90's.
i wish car companies would stop putting cartoon diffusers on everything.

Gizmo_S13
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Damn! That looks aggressive!

revcyanide
04-20-2011, 12:43 PM
April 20, 2011 - New York - Scion unveiled the rear-wheel drive FR-S Concept sports coupe today at the 2011 New York International Auto Show. The concept, which sets out to stimulate the souls of true driving enthusiasts, will be at the Scion display through May 1. The FR-S Concept will inspire a new model coming to the Scion brand next year.
The FR-S Concept, which stands for Front-engine, Rear-wheel drive, Sport; is Scion’s definition of an authentic rear-wheel-drive sports car with compelling style, exceptionally balanced performance and handling, flexible utility and surprising MPG.
"Scion is always experimenting with new things," said Jack Hollis, Scion vice president. "The brand is iconic with the xB, adrenalized by the tC, and groundbreaking with the iQ. The FR-S will expand the brand into yet another new dimension that I know it is truly destined for."
The FR-S is a true "scion," born into a lengthy history of Toyota performance cars and motorsports. The sports coupe is most inspired by the AE86 generation of the Corolla, better known as the Hachi-Roku, meaning "8-6" in Japanese. The front-engine, rear-wheel drive coupe was lightweight and well balanced, making it a solid choice for driving enthusiasts.
Inspired by the AE86, the FR-S is built around the core goal of achieving "pure balance," which begins with the strategic placement of a flat 2.0-liter boxer engine in a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration. The engine’s compact size and shape
- more -
Scion FR-S Concept/2-2-2-2
allows the FR-S’ powertrain to be mounted lower and further back towards the rear, giving the car a lower center of gravity and a dynamically favorable front-to-rear weight ratio.
The FR-S’ naturally-aspirated engine is innovative, being the first boxer to incorporate Toyota’s D4-S injection system, which utilizes both direct and port injection, resulting in increased horsepower and torque throughout the entire powerband, without sacrificing MPG.
The flat-four can mate with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual offers quick and precise shifts with a short-throw, while the automatic transmission features aggressive, sporty shifts that are initiated by steering- wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Power is distributed effectively via a limited-slip differential.
The idea of "pure balance" is further realized by the FR-S’ lightweight design and short wheelbase. The combination allows the car to be quick and nimble into and out of any corner, with dynamic maneuverability and confident stability.
"Akio Toyoda has mentioned that he is going to bring the fun-to-drive spirit back to Toyota," Hollis said. "I know that the Scion FR-S Concept is one of the ways that he plans to accomplish that."
The fierce exterior of the FR-S is a good reflection of its inner power. The intimidating proportions of the concept give it a dominant stance that bleeds performance. The profile, inspired by the Toyota 2000GT, reveals a hood-line that is remarkably sleek and low, made possible by the boxer’s architecture.
The low stance continues to exaggerate the FR-S’ menacing face, which is made up of sharp lines, a wide mouth and angular headlights that include bright LED clusters.
The solid panel roofline is sleek, lightweight and rigid, slotted with an aerodynamic shape that channels air cleanly over to the top.
The front fenders protrude upward, making space for the massive monoblock Five Axis 20x8.5-inch wheels, while the muscular rear fenders are widened to house the 20x10.5-inch wheels, emphasizing the FR-S’ staggered stance and rear-wheel-drive setup.
The rear fascia sits low and wide, with extensive lower treatments that surround the dual exhaust exits and contribute to excellent aerodynamics. LEDs illuminate both the edgy taillights and the bold "SCION" logo.
The concept features four-piston-caliper front brakes that clamp down on monstrous 18-inch annular carbon ceramic matrix rotors that are fixed to the wheels in a motorcycle-fashion.
The FR-S Concept is layered in rich coats of Code Red, the appropriately named color that consists of a custom blend of candy and a developmental additive from BASF called Mearlite SSQ.
- more -
Toyota Division Communications
Page 2 of 3
Scion FR-S Concept/3-3-3-3
Concept Dimensions
Length – 168.2
Width – 71.5
Height – 47.4
Front Track – 61.8
Rear Track – 59.9
Wheelbase – 101.2

exitspeed
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
the FR-S is built around the core goal of achieving "pure balance," which begins with the strategic placement of a flat 2.0-liter boxer engine in a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration.

This.

See Toyota has said that from the begining. it's only magazines that have reported that things are different.

Also, the fact that they are badging this as a Scion is almost definitive proof that it will be affordable instead of upmarket as some reports suggest.

Autoblog has a new galleru up!

Peep that hood scoop!
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/scion-fr-s-concept-1
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/10-scion-fr-s-concept.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/11-scion-fr-s-concept.jpg

LimeLite Racing
04-20-2011, 01:11 PM
This looks so sick. Nice work Toyota!!!!!

simmode1
04-20-2011, 01:12 PM
massive monoblock Five Axis 20x8.5-inch wheels,
Oh really? Fuck your mother, Toyota.:fawk2:

Thats the only thing I don't like so far. I really hope the production model goes down to like 17's or 18's at least. I don't like the idea of upgrading wheels on a entry level sports car from 20's to 22's or something...

BustedS13
04-20-2011, 01:18 PM
the giant oem wheels trend is kind of fruity.

DataXUnknown
04-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm not going to go back and read it over again, but I believe they said in the article that this is probably nowhere near the production model. It's definitely still in concept stages, that the sharp side mirrors, big ass wheels, and some other things need to be addressed.

Nonetheless, this may be the car I save up for to buy brand new. I'm taking a guess at $28,000, we all know it's going to be more powerful than the TC's which are what, around like $20,000 I believe? Add some HP, make it RWD and bam you got $28k lol

lawrenceyang
04-20-2011, 01:23 PM
looks too aggressive for me

exitspeed
04-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Things that will not make production:

Wheels
Brakes
Rear Diffuser
Giant SCION on rear deck
Door handles
Hood scoop
Shape of the roof on the top of the rear window
mirrors

lawrenceyang
04-20-2011, 01:27 PM
rear looks a lot like the lfa which is nice but damn i really do not like the front at all. too many angles going on

ESmorz
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Ugh Scion.

The marketing strategy Toyota has used with Scion is unforgivable, and the people who mod them are even worse.

I guess I will just have to wait and see what the Subaru version is up to, or the next gen Genesis Coupe.

simmode1
04-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Ugh Scion.

The marketing strategy Toyota has used with Scion is unforgivable, and the people who mod them are even worse.

I guess I will just have to wait and see what the Subaru version is up to, or the next gen Genesis Coupe.
Word. Scion enthusiasts make me wanna punch babies. The FR-S is definently gonna be the underdog to the 2.0T GC, IMO.

revcyanide
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
its a fucking badge. its a toyota, put JDM toyota badges on it if you actually like it but hate it for being a scion.

ESmorz
04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
its a fucking badge. its a toyota, put JDM toyota badges on it if you actually like it but hate it for being a scion.

It's still a Scion.

One day you will be cruising down the freeway and someone with the Scion badges, murdered out lights, and black wheels with a chrome lip will drive up to you and give you a thumbs up.

Then you will have to sell the car.

exitspeed
04-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Even at 31 years old that doesn't bother me. I could care less what people think. I'll be at my track events on the weekends and the badge won't matter.

Americans care what people think too damn much. Life is too short for that shit.

ESmorz
04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
It's not about what other people think.

It's about what I would think about myself.

revcyanide
04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
ah, so you have a low enough self esteem that you let car brand effect how you thinkg about yourlself?, cool story bro.

I dont care what the fuck people think, I drive a 240, you think i havent gotten thumbs up from sticker bombed roofrack s13's?
same thing, sell your 240.

lok
04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
What is the est. MPG for the car?

Even with the half GDI, the boxer motor gets terrible gas mileage.

ESmorz
04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
ah, so you have a low enough self esteem that you let car brand effect how you thinkg about yourlself?, cool story bro.

Apparently.

sell your 240.

Working on it, bro.

revcyanide
04-20-2011, 01:57 PM

my gf's imprezza gets 28 in the city, 33 highway. and thats the 2008 2.5l

exitspeed
04-20-2011, 02:05 PM

No estimates have been released by Toyota.

DJDANGER24
04-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Even at 31 years old that doesn't bother me. I could care less what people think. I'll be at my track events on the weekends and the badge won't matter.

Americans care what people think too damn much. Life is too short for that shit.

I dont care what the fuck people think, I drive a 240, you think i havent gotten thumbs up from sticker bombed roofrack s13's?
same thing, sell your 240.

LOL double whammy. I agree, its still a Toyota. I drive my wifes Scion Tc sometimes and i could care less what people say think when i drive it. It gets me from point A to point B with some decent gas mileage and I own it!

I would wait for it to come out to actually see if its a possibility to buy it or not. If they ditch the 20's, which i believe they would since its more affordable to buy 17/18" replacement tires, I would definitely keeps this option open.

Future240
04-20-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't buy cars for other people, if I had I wouldn't have bought an S-Chassis to begin with.

I want to know after-market support, and options for this car. LSD and brembos anyone?

exitspeed
04-20-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't buy cars for other people, if I had I wouldn't have bought an S-Chassis to begin with.

I want to know after-market support, and options for this car. LSD and brembos anyone?

Thaose better be standard options.

Base model (no sunroof or spoiler) + LSD + Brake upgrade (Brembos) + Sport Seats = $25k. My ideal car.

Future240
04-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Thaose better be standard options.

Base model (no sunroof or spoiler) + LSD + Brake upgrade (Brembos) + Sport Seats = $25k. My ideal car.

Near base model (must have sunroof and spoiler) + LSD and Brembos with regular seats=$24-25K I would hope your configuration would be like $23K so mine wouldn't be $27K. I can almost guarantee the LSD is going to be a VLSD which means in the long run it would eventually be swapped for a 1.5 LSD. Which makes me wonder if open diff would be best at first.

KiLLeR2001
04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
I'd drive a Toyota over a Hyundai any day.

HyperTek
04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I do prefer the toyota badge over scion though.. toyota has more heritage , sports and racing history, so it could have a much better advertising campaign. Would be easier to push the car being designed with passion and pedigree behind it.

Scion is still kind of new as far as a brand name, and I dont think those rwd formula D TCs really fueled anyone into buying them.

fearlessKouki
04-20-2011, 07:33 PM
i've been waiting for this forever...might trade my tC for this :D

M4J0R T0M
04-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Word. Scion enthusiasts make me wanna punch babies. The FR-S is definently gonna be the underdog to the 2.0T GC, IMO.

It would have to be a pretty crappy car in that case. I've driven a couple new GC's, 2.0T, 3.8 Vs and neither of them are all that impressive. Especially the turbo, it really has no guts in stock form.

ronmcdon
04-21-2011, 01:19 AM
if you think the GC's 2.0t is gutless, then dont have high hopes for this.
It's 2.0l n/a, & you would be fortunate if it got anything close to the output of say a civic Si

it is probably fair to say this is more of a Miata competitor considering the price range & powerplant, as mentioned prior.
A base Miata starts at 23k (which is probably at least $5k overpriced imo),
so if Toyota can undercut that pricing while offering a similar drive, it would be great.

I still think that the Genesis Coupe 3.8R @ 26k-ish & the Mustang 5.0 w/ Brembos @ 32k-ish are the best new RWD cars for the $$$ right now.
(based on what I test drove at least)

stevenwhite1989
04-21-2011, 06:49 AM
I will pass on this... I will get me a nice S2000 for half these prices and eat these things up on a daily basis, as well as the 2.0T GC. If you want an awesome platform for balance and power go with the S2000. Its only a matter of time before they put one of those god awful front spoilers off that stupid TC on this thing.

revcyanide
04-21-2011, 07:11 AM
I will pass on this... I will get me a nice S2000 for half these prices and eat these things up on a daily basis, as well as the 2.0T GC. If you want an awesome platform for balance and power go with the S2000. Its only a matter of time before they put one of those god awful front spoilers off that stupid TC on this thing.
those looked retarded, but the proved it shaved massive amount of time off his runs.
its not liek they were like OMG MOAR SPOILERS. and it ONLY helped the car because it was FWD.
function over form in professional racing? OH WAIT I FORGOT TIME ATTACK CARS NEED MORE STANCE

STANCENATION

but really s2000 are amazing cars if you are planning on doing grip. I am sure it will eat both these cars up in grip.
but as far as drifting goes, its not fun at all, really realllllyyy hard to control, it either wants to understeeer or spin out. hard to find the perfect balence to hold a drift.

raz0rbladez909
04-21-2011, 07:26 AM
those looked retarded, but the proved it shaved massive amount of time off his runs.
its not liek they were like OMG MOAR SPOILERS. and it ONLY helped the car because it was FWD.
function over form in professional racing? OH WAIT I FORGOT TIME ATTACK CARS NEED MORE STANCE

STANCENATION

but really s2000 are amazing cars if you are planning on doing grip. I am sure it will eat both these cars up in grip.
but as far as drifting goes, its not fun at all, really realllllyyy hard to control, it either wants to understeeer or spin out. hard to find the perfect balence to hold a drift.

If you are buying a brand new car to go drifting in then you are in idiot; And you can't really compare an s2000 to this car considering the cost of an s2k was between 35-40k brand new. This car is for people who want something NEW, not some used car special that every ricer is going to be getting their hands on now since the prices have reached an "affordable" area for people living off mcdonalds salary. I admit I love that the concept is getting closer and closer to reality, it's about time Toyota/Scion came out with something truly sporty and not another fwd econobox. May be trading in my wifes car for one :D

exitspeed
04-21-2011, 07:40 AM
if you think the GC's 2.0t is gutless, then dont have high hopes for this.
It's 2.0l n/a, & you would be fortunate if it got anything close to the output of say a civic Si

it is probably fair to say this is more of a Miata competitor considering the price range & powerplant, as mentioned prior.
A base Miata starts at 23k (which is probably at least $5k overpriced imo),
so if Toyota can undercut that pricing while offering a similar drive, it would be great.

I still think that the Genesis Coupe 3.8R @ 26k-ish & the Mustang 5.0 w/ Brembos @ 32k-ish are the best new RWD cars for the $$$ right now.
(based on what I test drove at least)

Yeah I mentioned the Miata earlier in the thread. This car has the same goals as the Miata minus the open top driving. But really it's about the driving dynamic, handling, and control.

Yeah, if you are looking to "eat" people up, you should pass. This isn't the car for you. Again, this car is about handling. not straight line speed. I lost interest in that stuff a long time ago.

revcyanide
04-21-2011, 08:27 AM
If you are buying a brand new car to go drifting in then you are in idiot; And you can't really compare an s2000 to this car considering the cost of an s2k was between 35-40k brand new. This car is for people who want something NEW, not some used car special that every ricer is going to be getting their hands on now since the prices have reached an "affordable" area for people living off mcdonalds salary. I admit I love that the concept is getting closer and closer to reality, it's about time Toyota/Scion came out with something truly sporty and not another fwd econobox. May be trading in my wifes car for one :D
meh, if you have deep pockets, people on here drift 240s with WAY to much money dropped into them.
I plan on getting one and takeing it the the track for fun, but a few years after they are out when the price drops.
autocross lots = no walls or poles = no huge danger, as long as you arnt pushing the car too hard.

people here track their DD's too, that shit is more retarded IMO.

holemilk00
04-21-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm waiting to see what SCCA class it gets put into.

exitspeed
04-21-2011, 08:49 AM
meh, if you have deep pockets, people on here drift 240s with WAY to much money dropped into them.
I plan on getting one and takeing it the the track for fun, but a few years after they are out when the price drops.
autocross lots = no walls or poles = no huge danger, as long as you arnt pushing the car too hard.

Auto-X is perfectly safe on a brand new vehicle. That would be my main intent. I'm not into drifting so i would be doing that.

holemilk00
04-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I'll be upset if this gets thrown into A-stock, it seems like everything that comes out now is A-stock.

ronmcdon
04-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah I mentioned the Miata earlier in the thread. This car has the same goals as the Miata minus the open top driving. But really it's about the driving dynamic, handling, and control.
Yeah, if you are looking to "eat" people up, you should pass. This isn't the car for you. Again, this car is about handling. not straight line speed. I lost interest in that stuff a long time ago.

I like the fact that it's not a convertible like the miata.
Looks like there's more space inside which may make it a more practical alternative.

I wouldn't necessarily write it off just as miata competitor either.
There's no official word (that Im aware of at least) that the n/a 2.0l will be the only powerplant.
Also hard to say what Subaru's version will come with.

Tracking your daily is just fine, I'd actually encourage it at least once in order to get to know the car better.
Every time I get a new car, it will go to an hdpe and/or autoX within a month.

Just b/c it's a track event doesn't mean there's going to be doom & suffering.
The only thing I'd do is dial in some negative camber in the alignment if there is none from the factory.
I learned the hard way and wasted a new set of tires doing autoX in my old 08 civic si.

BoostSlideWayz
04-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Kinda gay they made it a scion.... i liked the FT86 alot better... lowers my respect for this car because i dislike scions... ohh well another one bites the dust.

1 88 U
04-21-2011, 11:18 AM
This car has backseats. sold.

dudermagee
04-21-2011, 11:22 AM
lol @ people complaining its a scion
its just a brand name, thats like complaining about toyota vs Lexus
who cares

revcyanide
04-21-2011, 11:43 AM
I like the fact that it's not a convertible like the miata.
Looks like there's more space inside which may make it a more practical alternative.

I wouldn't necessarily write it off just as miata competitor either.
There's no official word (that Im aware of at least) that the n/a 2.0l will be the only powerplant.
Also hard to say what Subaru's version will come with.

Tracking your daily is just fine, I'd actually encourage it at least once in order to get to know the car better.
Every time I get a new car, it will go to an hdpe and/or autoX within a month.

Just b/c it's a track event doesn't mean there's going to be doom & suffering.
The only thing I'd do is dial in some negative camber in the alignment if there is none from the factory.
I learned the hard way and wasted a new set of tires doing autoX in my old 08 civic si.
ill rephrase.
people drift their DD's at tracks, thats retarded.

revcyanide
04-21-2011, 11:45 AM
lol @ people complaining its a scion
its just a brand name, thats like complaining about toyota vs Lexus
who cares
exactly what im saying! who gives a shit, it'll be a toyota everywhere else. buy toyota badges for it if you care that much.
who gives a shit about the brand, its a toyota, just with a slightly different badge.
its cool though cause all the people who dont like it cause of that would have never bought one anyone whether it was toyota or not.

and id rather have it associated with scions current lineup than toyotas current line up.
at least scion isnt trying really hard to be the blandest company in existance.

DJDANGER24
04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
who gives a shit about the brand, its a toyota, just with a slightly different badge.
its cool though cause all the people who dont like it cause of that would have never bought one anyone whether it was toyota or not.

Haha well said, its a toyota powerplant and chassis engineering and thats all that matters.

1 88 U
04-21-2011, 12:18 PM
While the FR-S you see today is a concept vehicle… we envision that the sports car physique wouldn’t stop with the aggressive exterior. The interior would share the same DNA… designed with both form and function in mind. I envision it would be the perfect daily driver AND weekend warrior. How about a 2+2 seating configuration… with a fold-flat cargo area large enough to transport a full set of race-spec tires… a floor jack and the necessary pit tools for a fun day at the track? Because you and I know that not all enthusiasts have a truck and trailer.

Does this mean hatch?

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/3708/unled1v.jpg

cured13
04-21-2011, 12:18 PM
stunning,
I don't care if its Nissan or Toyota or whatever - if it's going to be affordable and as they say and show - I'm in

llllove it

Banana_Cute
04-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Mini LFA?.. hahahha

Interesting car though. Hopefully they keep the design of this proto type to become production car.

Flat 4 boxer engine thats rear wheel drive..

Anyone confirms if its gonna be turbo or N/A.

Ive must've missed that part.

exitspeed
04-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Oh lord that white one and pink one is so sexual chocolate.

MikeisNissan
04-21-2011, 12:29 PM
do wantttttttt

HyperTek
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
because people who value cars do care about the badge name.. No biggy to you but it means alot. Imagine if Scion dies later on.. yeah... your fucked.

amdnivram
04-21-2011, 12:34 PM
need to get that greyish purple one.

Future240
04-21-2011, 12:40 PM
because people who value cars do care about the badge name.. No biggy to you but it means alot. Imagine if Scion dies later on.. yeah... your fucked.

I can understand that if it was a high dollar car, but it's a budget Toyota. If scion died then what would happen? Dealers would still have parts for it.

Plus if people hated it that much they could just buy EDM or JDM like people do with the Silvia.

HyperTek
04-21-2011, 12:48 PM
toyota has had budget cars, celica, corolla etc. and those cars sold good.

1 88 U
04-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Mini LFA?.. hahahha

Interesting car though. Hopefully they keep the design of this proto type to become production car.

Flat 4 boxer engine thats rear wheel drive..

Anyone confirms if its gonna be turbo or N/A.

Ive must've missed that part.

New Subaru FB20 block with Toyota D4-S heads. NA with a target of 200hp with great gas milage. If it's under 23k I'm down.

1 88 U
04-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Unlike the sky and solstice, if scion goes down the rest of the world will at least still have it in production. Hell I could see Toyota transferring the brand if it sells well.

mmdb
04-21-2011, 01:00 PM
WOW... stunning design. I like the styling cues similar to the LFA.

revcyanide
04-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Saturn is dead, yet my old saturn still ahd a plethora of parts and GM dealerships honored the warrenty, no fucking happened.

initial_jc
04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
will it be sold in japan if so will it be branded toyota?

if that is the case then buy those badges like people do with 240sx and silvia

its interchangable

I would totally consider it over any RWD that is out right now

revcyanide
04-21-2011, 01:17 PM
it has been stated that everywhere else. it will be atoyota, aside from US and cananananada

revcyanide
04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
bottom line, if you dont like scion, cool.
if were seriously planning on buying this car but now wont because on a badge, you are retarded.

initial_jc
04-21-2011, 01:23 PM
scion doesnt scare me; If it originates from the same plant as the one badged toyota, then its the same.

Would like to see how the differences in trim levels work out.

revcyanide
04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
if anything it being scion kinda secures that this will be a lower priced entry vehicle, which is good news.

exitspeed
04-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Also, the fact that they are badging this as a Scion is almost definitive proof that it will be affordable instead of upmarket as some reports suggest.

if anything it being scion kinda secures that this will be a lower priced entry vehicle, which is good news.

There must be an echo in here. But yeah, I'm glad someone else picked up on that as well.

revcyanide
04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
haha plagerism at its finest.

BustedS13
04-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Imagine if Scion dies later on.. yeah... your fucked.
did all the GTO's stop running after Pontiac shut down? do Saturns dent now?
oh yeah, GM still covers existing warranties because they're GM products.

anyway, this car is smoking hot, i wish Nissan would step up and give us a new 240z.

roboticnissan
04-21-2011, 02:04 PM
This car would look.absolutely disgusting drifting. Not my style of cars at all.

exitspeed
04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
did all the GTO's stop running after Pontiac shut down? do Saturns dent now?

anyway, this car is smoking hot, i wish Nissan would step up and give us a new 240z.

Don't we all. But noooo. Nissan is too busy building Leaf racecars...:hahano:

BustedS13
04-21-2011, 02:10 PM
This car would look.absolutely disgusting drifting. Not my style of cars at all.
lol wut.

Don't we all. But noooo. Nissan is too busy building Leaf racecars...:hahano:

best use of that smiley i've ever seen.

spooled240
04-21-2011, 02:14 PM
finally a badass, affordable, lightweight FR platform is coming out and people are complaining about the emblems lol

1 88 U
04-21-2011, 02:16 PM
scion doesnt scare me; If it originates from the same plant as the one badged toyota, then its the same.

Would like to see how the differences in trim levels work out.

Scion doesn't do trims. This should be interesting when Toyota releases a turbo and track version later for the other markets.

1 88 U
04-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Is 'disgusting' slang for 'awesome'?

YouTube - GT5 Drifting in my Toyota FT-86 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U418Qu77v8A)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyvaSC7lW1I

http://www.tune86.com/sites/default/files/pictures_photos/2010/01/toyota-ft-86-drift-Ebisu.jpg

RJF
04-21-2011, 02:29 PM
For those interested, we have a summary of an interview we did with two Scion spokespersons over at Toyobaru.net along with tons of pictures that Mark took.

Toyobaru talks with Scion Public Relations about Scion FR-S - Toyota FT-86 / FR-S Forum and Subaru 216a Forum | Toyobaru.net Forums (http://toyobaru.net/forums/f9/toyobaru-talks-scion-public-relations-about-scion-fr-s-517/)

:aw:

WERDdabuilder
04-21-2011, 03:46 PM
the sex child of a 370z+LF-A. body wise

getting my pants all tight and shit.

reswM4fdtKk

HyperTek
04-21-2011, 04:27 PM
comes factory flush. hahah that would be cool.. or all concept cars are typical fender flush

cured13
04-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I was thinking about buying used 350 or 370 Z next year but this car changed everything.

SimpleS14
04-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Car looks good and after seeing the mess that is the 2012 Impreza...I doubt Subaru will have a better looking car.

I was thinking about buying used 350 or 370 Z next year but this car changed everything.

IDK...I would still entertain the thought of getting a used 370Z.

exitspeed
04-22-2011, 07:31 AM
after seeing the mess that is the 2012 Impreza...I doubt Subaru will have a better looking car.

No kidding. I have almost no faith that Subaru will deliver anything halfway attractive.

raz0rbladez909
04-22-2011, 07:38 AM
No kidding. I have almost no faith that Subaru will deliver anything halfway attractive.

Really? I honestly like the new wrx/sti's in both sedan and hatch, I can understand the looks of the 08-10 wrx because they look like shit, but the newer body lines make the car look 10x more aggressive I'm glad they changed it up. It actually was the car I was going to buy before I decided to go for the Evo :love:

I have faith Subaru could pull it off, you also have to remember sports coupes aren't really there niche so it will be a new venture unless you count the svx. It's be pretty ironic if they called it that

revcyanide
04-22-2011, 08:02 AM
hes talking about this boring peice of shit.

http://www.accelerating.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2011-subaru-impreza.jpg

that is the 2011 impreza.

raz0rbladez909
04-22-2011, 08:13 AM
hes talking about this boring peice of shit.

http://www.accelerating.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2011-subaru-impreza.jpg

that is the 2011 impreza.

Oh jeez that is ugly and boring looking lol then I retract my statement to the previous generation and not this new abortion :tweak:

exitspeed
04-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Ok. Now we're on the same page.

raz0rbladez909
04-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Ok. Now we're on the same page.

Lol Yeah I think we usually are, so now I know why I was confused.

As far as the FR-S goes have they said if it's going to be a fastback or just going to have a regular trunk?

exitspeed
04-22-2011, 08:38 AM

As far as the FR-S goes have they said if it's going to be a fastback or just going to have a regular trunk?

They haven't said, but it looks like it's gonna be a hatch/fastback to me.

the concept looks like it's kind of a traditional trunk, but I just think it makes more sense for the production model to be a hatch. It also makes the cars that much more practical. Even though the point of this thing is to not even be able to pronounce practical.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/06-scion-fr-s-concept-ny.jpg

1 88 U
04-22-2011, 08:42 AM

The president said

"I envision it would be the perfect daily driver AND weekend warrior. How about a 2+2 seating configuration… with a fold-flat cargo area large enough to transport a full set of race-spec tires… a floor jack and the necessary pit tools for a fun day at the track? Because you and I know that not all enthusiasts have a truck and trailer."

He could be talking out of his ass but I don't see a regular trunk doing this.

exitspeed
04-22-2011, 08:49 AM
^
Good catch.

silviaguy240
04-22-2011, 10:40 AM
do Saturns dent now?

yep :ddog: well any new model after 07 will. aura, sky, outlook, new vue and astra are all metal.

drift freaq
04-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I'd drive a Toyota over a Hyundai any day.

Hehehehehe I would have to agree with this. This car is finally looking pretty damn nice. I like it, except for the 20 inch wheels(small issue).
I am indeed impressed and the next question is will it make to market this nice and when and will they keep the price down?
I know Scion Badging suggests lower price. Lets hope that happens.

OH and yes this car looks a whole lot better than the GC. LOL

Or something in that vein, and yes this car is hot.

Oh and it is interesting Nissan has a hybrid concept that has similar lines. This takes us right back to the late 60's and 2000GT and 240Z both of which came out of a common ground concept.
Of course the 2000GT was more in LFA territory for pricing of the times and the 240Z wound up in the catagory this car is aiming for.

I would love to see Nissan come up with a New Z that was somewhere between the 370 and this car.

roboticnissan
04-22-2011, 11:13 AM
I retract my statement. I guess the cg images I saw sucked. The car in real life looks good. I'd still choose a 370 or a genesis tho. By looks alone.

DenkiMan!
04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
whaaaay does it have to be called a scion...

usdm180sx
04-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I dunno man I'd still take a 370z over this. I know it's in a different market segment but bang for the buck wise I think it's a better deal. No Genesis for me either. That being said this is a sexy car. But I don't wanna drive a Scion haha

camaro379ss
04-22-2011, 11:52 AM

+1 I agree. That aside its still a slick looking car.

drift freaq
04-22-2011, 11:56 AM
I dunno man I'd still take a 370z over this. I know it's in a different market segment but bang for the buck wise I think it's a better deal. No Genesis for me either. That being said this is a sexy car. But I don't wanna drive a Scion haha

I can see this, Oh and ya Toyota should keep it Toyota badged. The 370 is actually coming up here on a design cycle change. 2013. It will be interesting to see what happens.

camaro379ss
04-22-2011, 12:00 PM
I can see this, Oh and ya Toyota should keep it Toyota badged. The 370 is actually coming up here on a design cycle change. 2013. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Yeea but since the 370z is so new still it will be very minor subtle design cues that are generally changed. Since I am no longer a nissan tech I couldnt tell you what exactly but they do give their current techs somewhat of a kind of access to this stuff in either their tech talk magazine or their secure website.

raz0rbladez909
04-22-2011, 12:24 PM

+1 I agree. That aside its still a slick looking car.

Lol I don't think any of you read the part about it being more affordable because of the Scion badging, which at the beginning of page 3 was repeated once again. Honestly I could care less about the Scion badging, it really doesn't matter at all, because at the end of the day it is still a Toyota product. That's like saying "I wouldn't buy a Toyota but I'd buy a Lexus." It really makes no difference in the end product besides how you think others will perceive you. Honestly at least the Scion brand promotes creativity and having something different, unlike half of the stupid, unpainted, trendwhorish cars on here. The main thing is it will be your car you can choose whatever you want to do with it, if you want to get JDM/EDM Toyota badging down the line so be it, if you want to make it a riced out piece of shit so be it. There is idiots in every brand, and I'm not going to judge the brand based on some people with bad taste. Hell if the TC was rwd I would've picked that up and not thought twice about the other people in the Scion community.

camaro379ss
04-22-2011, 12:30 PM
^^ what you say makes since, however whenever I think of scion I think of when it first came out with the xb and xa. Tehy got better with the tc but i got some brand association problems in my head. And yes if the tc was rwd it would be better but thats not the corner of the market nor price point they were orignally after.

ZenkiKid
04-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Since its gonna be under the scion banner i expect this thing to only be like 25k MAX

ronmcdon
04-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Lol I don't think any of you read the part about it being more affordable because of the Scion badging, which at the beginning of page 3 was repeated once again. Honestly I could care less about the Scion badging, it really doesn't matter at all, because at the end of the day it is still a Toyota product. That's like saying "I wouldn't buy a Toyota but I'd buy a Lexus." It really makes no difference in the end product besides how you think others will perceive you. Honestly at least the Scion brand promotes creativity and having something different, unlike half of the stupid, unpainted, trendwhorish cars on here. The main thing is it will be your car you can choose whatever you want to do with it, if you want to get JDM/EDM Toyota badging down the line so be it, if you want to make it a riced out piece of shit so be it. There is idiots in every brand, and I'm not going to judge the brand based on some people with bad taste. Hell if the TC was rwd I would've picked that up and not thought twice about the other people in the Scion community.

I personally feel the same way about the car itself.
I'm not terribly bothered that it got released as a scion.

However, you have to understand a lot of ppl don't feel comfortable being associated with Scion & it's poseur/ricer image.
Ppl have their reasons for buying whatever they want, i would not bother trying to convince them otherwise.

All things equal, i would have preferred Toyota over Scion as well.
However, the Scion badge to me isn't a deal killer.

I totally disagree that Scion brand 'promotes creativity'.
It's just badge engineering & marking to entice kids who are into American car shows like HIN.
(which is inevitably going to have a polarizing effect, as we can see on this tread alone)
All cars are merely fwd budget econo-boxes.
Almost every product sold in America capitalizes off the individual's insecure need to be 'different'
Nothing new here about that, same banal marketing.

If anyone likes the company, great, I'm sure it caters towards certain tastes.
I just don't see anything innovative about the company itself so far in the US market.

beeracing s14
04-25-2011, 01:10 PM
shut up all of you.. i bet half of you will sell your 240s for this.

SaNTi
04-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Call me Ignant, but any word on what type of Transmission these will have? True manual transmissions or what?

drift freaq
04-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Wow you so missed the gist of my point. It has absolutely nothing to do with how I feel about Scion badging pertaining to my likes. I do not have a problem driving a Scion badged car and you assumed an awful lot out of my statement that was not there.

My point of the should have badged it Toyota, is Toyota wants to get away from their stodgy 50-60 year old driver image that they have. They have stated this publicly on a few occasions in the last year.

If they Badge the car as a Scion it does not do that.

Why? Because unlike the enthusiast (or people on this forum) who knows what is going on, the average buying public is clueless.
They see Scion they think Scion. They do not thing Toyota.

Oh and for your thinking Scion brand promotes creativity? Congratulations you just got suckered into their marketing. That is exactly what they want you to think, so you will buy the brand. Congrats you have been sold and sold hard. LOL

In case you did not know Scion was originally Daihatsu in Japan and Toyota bought them and started re marketing them as Scion. Scion is actually not nearly at the level of build quality as the regular Toyota line. IMHO

Hats off to Toyota for successfully selling Americans on Scion being cool and original when actually it was standard and a copy of other manufacturers in Japan. LOL

shut up all of you.. i bet half of you will sell your 240s for this.

Wow, don't like the fact that people have opinions and don't like everything that comes down the pike?

I am not sure about half the people selling their 240's and buying this car. Like I said before its sexy but its a different deal.

I personally will most likely replace my 240 with a S30. Yup backwards to a classic rather than forward.
I want to get back to the cars that started me and I still have fond memories of.

raz0rbladez909
04-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Wow you so missed the gist of my point. It has absolutely nothing to do with how I feel about Scion badging pertaining to my likes. I do not have a problem driving a Scion badged car and you assumed an awful lot out of my statement that was not there.

My point of the should have badged it Toyota, is Toyota wants to get away from their stodgy 50-60 year old driver image that they have. They have stated this publicly on a few occasions in the last year.

If they Badge the car as a Scion it does not do that.

Why? Because unlike the enthusiast (or people on this forum) who knows what is going on, the average buying public is clueless.
They see Scion they think Scion. They do not thing Toyota.

Oh and for your thinking Scion brand promotes creativity? Congratulations you just got suckered into their marketing. That is exactly what they want you to think, so you will buy the brand. Congrats you have been sold and sold hard. LOL

In case you did not know Scion was originally Daihatsu in Japan and Toyota bought them and started re marketing them as Scion. Scion is actually not nearly at the level of build quality as the regular Toyota line. IMHO

Hats off to Toyota for successfully selling Americans on Scion being cool and original when actually it was standard and a copy of other manufacturers in Japan. LOL

I don't see how they don't promote creativity? They have contests for who can create the most unique car, organize plenty of events, and are usually at just about anything automotive related. Being the wide selections of aftermarket parts you can buy through the dealers? And maintain your warranty I'd say the promote creativity. Would I buy a Scion? No, because they don't appeal to me but I can understand who they are marketing their cars towards. If Toyota were really worried about their image as a producer of sporty automobiles here in America, wouldn't they have branded the LF-A as a Toyota? The IS series as the Toyota Altezza? Sold hard? I mention one thing about them being "mod friendly" and I've been sold hard apparently, all I'm saying is Scion is their brand that they are using to try to appeal to younger buyers, and participating in motorsports and events to broaden their spectrum. It's obvious that Scion sales are dwindling and they need something to save their new brand, so it is only logical they would try to use the FR-S to help boost sales.

1 88 U
04-25-2011, 11:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MM03M.jpg

How could you hate that? I don't care if it is badged a scion.

exitspeed
04-26-2011, 07:29 AM

:eek: Yes, that color please. But pearl.

I just love this car.

dudermagee
04-26-2011, 07:38 AM
I can see myself owning one in the near future...

Gnnr
04-26-2011, 07:46 AM

Do I see a hint of LF-A in there? :faint:

raz0rbladez909
04-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Do I see a hint of LF-A in there? :faint:

That thing looks amazing :cj:

exitspeed
04-26-2011, 08:43 AM
LFA without any of the ugliness and lines that go no where.

BOROSUN
04-26-2011, 10:18 AM
the scion sc is also a hatch

ronmcdon
04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't see how they don't promote creativity? They have contests for who can create the most unique car, organize plenty of events, and are usually at just about anything automotive related. Being the wide selections of aftermarket parts you can buy through the dealers? And maintain your warranty I'd say the promote creativity. Would I buy a Scion? No, because they don't appeal to me but I can understand who they are marketing their cars towards. If Toyota were really worried about their image as a producer of sporty automobiles here in America, wouldn't they have branded the LF-A as a Toyota? The IS series as the Toyota Altezza? Sold hard? I mention one thing about them being "mod friendly" and I've been sold hard apparently, all I'm saying is Scion is their brand that they are using to try to appeal to younger buyers, and participating in motorsports and events to broaden their spectrum. It's obvious that Scion sales are dwindling and they need something to save their new brand, so it is only logical they would try to use the FR-S to help boost sales.

There is nothing creative about selling overpriced cosmetic/boutique mods.
Yeah, Scion might offer superchargers/etc mods for their cars, but Toyota has been doing the same forever, offering TRD superchargers for the cars & trucks, nothing new here.
Creative in their resourcefulness maybe,
in that they are copying what the aftermarket has done and try to capitalize off that.

It is doubtful that warranty would carry over from parts bought outside the dealer.
And even then, it would just be that the company is just lax, if not reckless.

Yeah, Toyota is TRYING to appease to a certain demographic.
It probably isn't working so well b/c most of the HIN crowd wouldn't be able to afford,
or have the credit to obtain a brand new car anyways.

Toyota should just cut their losses & let Scion die.
Focus their resources on developing sporty cars (like what they have here) instead of crass marketing.
Personally I don't care what brand the car is released as.
I just can't bring myself to agree with it as a business decision.
If Scion is going to flop anyways, i doubt it'll be enough to save the company.

R33E8
04-26-2011, 10:41 AM
The boxer engine seriously killed all interest in this car for me.. If It came with a turbo i4 or i6 I would be one of the first to pick one up.. I can't stand 4 cylinder boxer engines..

I don't care about the brand.. I care about the performance and potential..

revcyanide
04-26-2011, 10:46 AM
The boxer engine seriously killed all interest in this car for me.. If It came with a turbo i4 or i6 I would be one of the first to pick one up.. I can't stand 4 cylinder boxer engines..

lol what?

raz0rbladez909
04-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Lol because there has never been a performance boxer engine ever

revcyanide
04-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Lol because there has never been a performance boxer engine ever
right!?

theres never been one thats won multiple WRC, NEVER

1 88 U
04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Toyota FT-86 II concept. A compact, rear-wheel drive sports vehicle (http://www.toyota-europe.com/innovation/design/concept_cars/ft_86_ii/index.aspx)

On the right side of the page they have audio clips of the start up, engine and exhaust sounds.

exitspeed
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Toyota FT-86 II concept. A compact, rear-wheel drive sports vehicle (http://www.toyota-europe.com/innovation/design/concept_cars/ft_86_ii/index.aspx)

On the right side of the page they have audio clips of the start up, engine and exhaust sounds.

Ohhhh, that was nice.

If we had rep still you'd be getting a whole pile.

1 88 U
04-26-2011, 12:26 PM
There is nothing creative about selling overpriced cosmetic/boutique mods.
Yeah, Scion might offer superchargers/etc mods for their cars, but Toyota has been doing the same forever, offering TRD superchargers for the cars & trucks, nothing new here.
Creative in their resourcefulness maybe,
in that they are copying what the aftermarket has done and try to capitalize off that.

It is doubtful that warranty would carry over from parts bought outside the dealer.
And even then, it would just be that the company is just lax, if not reckless.

Yeah, Toyota is TRYING to appease to a certain demographic.
It probably isn't working so well b/c most of the HIN crowd wouldn't be able to afford,
or have the credit to obtain a brand new car anyways.

Toyota should just cut their losses & let Scion die.
Focus their resources on developing sporty cars (like what they have here) instead of crass marketing.
Personally I don't care what brand the car is released as.
I just can't bring myself to agree with it as a business decision.
If Scion is going to flop anyways, i doubt it'll be enough to save the company.

You know whats more dissapointing than Toyota NA's marketing decision to release this as a scion? Nissan not releasing a comparable car.

4DOOR_LIFE
04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Call me Ignant, but any word on what type of Transmission these will have? True manual transmissions or what?

6-speed manual and a 6 speed automatic w/ paddle shifters.

its crazy how big wheels look so good on such a small size car.

20x8 and 20x10. looks goooood.

BOROSUN
04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
wasn't he listening? on vid the guy mention of the benefits of the w/d of the boxer motor being so low gravity and short.

1 88 U
04-26-2011, 12:49 PM
:eek: Yes, that color please. But pearl.

I just love this car.

Different angle.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1709&stc=1&d=1303837554

exitspeed
04-26-2011, 12:49 PM
wasn't he listening? on vid the guy mention of the benefits of the w/d of the boxer motor being so low gravity and short.

He was not listening.