PDA

View Full Version : vlsd internals into s14 pumpkin. PROBLEM?

nismo627
04-18-2011, 09:09 PM
So i purchased a vlsd off a guy. He claimed it was from an s13 but he was wrong. I was to busy ripping out a wiring harness out of his part out car that i didnt notice the 5 bolt axles when he loaded it into my car. So instead of buying new output shafts i decided to swap out the internals into a spare s14 pumpkin i had laying around and get j30 cv axles. But im not even 100% sure that it was a j30 because it had an abs sensor on the front. And from what i have read is that the j30 will bolt right in with j30 axles or s13/s14 vlsd out shafts. Well i got it all together tonight. I turned the output shafts and it makes a clicking sound... From what i know is that vlsd's shouldnt click. Ive never had or driven a car with a vlsd so i could be wrong. My question is this. Is this normal? If not, what could be my problem? I didnt label the bearing caps, so maybe i could have put them on the wrong side? I used the shims out of the j30 diff. Im pretty sure i put them back in the original spot, but i could be wrong. So maybe i got the shims mixed up? Thanks for you help.

boosted KA24DE
04-27-2011, 04:56 AM
You must transfer the ring and pinion into new pumpkin for the correct ratio or else you are meshing the gears because they are not meant for each other. Pinion is a bitch to get out and watch you don't bend the threads getting it out of the pumpkin. Don't mistake the lash for the clicking you are describing. This forum has plenty of coverage on this so just dig and you will find info.

nismo627
04-27-2011, 08:39 PM
well i already got rid of the old casing. so i guess im pretty much shit out of luck unless i get another rear diff because i cant have my car down. its my dd. thanks for the help though man.