PDA

View Full Version : idle/overheating issues

feyd_w
04-18-2011, 06:04 PM
car will run fine over 3000 rpms but wont idle, timing is all fine, think this could just be vacuum lines? and for the over heating problem, its just gets hot doing regular things, i have a new head gasket cuz the old one was bad. would it make a difference if i had a thicker radiator?

FaLKoN240
04-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Bled the cooling system?

Have you changed the coolant?

Changed the thermostat?

Don't start throwing money at it unnecessarily. Go through the basic stuff first.

feyd_w
04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
yea i changed all the coolant, bled it. could my radiator just be rusty and clogging? the anti freeze i put in got a little brown but not burnt looking like before when the gasket was bad.

signals13
04-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Check to make sure youre t-stat is opening, if you think its youre rad pull it out and flush it with water if its clogged then water wont come out the other end gl. For youre idle yes check for vacumm leaks and if none check to make sure all 4 cylinders are firing, i.e. spark and fuel.

feyd_w
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
idle was vacuum lines. but now it idles at like 2800-3000 rpm, still overheating.

feyd_w
04-19-2011, 03:53 PM
problem fixed, gunked up thermostat so i tossed it out, got new vacuum lines and reset the dizzy, idles at 1000rpm now and doesnt get ridiculously hot

jstrunk
04-23-2011, 09:37 AM
glad you figured it out.. normally it's thermostat, then check water pump... after that then it could be the radiator... and even worst if the idle is rough and it's bellowing white smoke.... well... compression check time.

boosted KA24DE
04-27-2011, 04:38 AM
Make sure you purge the whole system just in case. All that gunk you talked about may get clogged else where. I did a dodge avenger and after a month the radiator was completely clogged after the system cleared all the gunk into it rad. Who ever had car previously used that copper leak fix crap and screwed everything up, over time it costs more in repairs.