PDA

View Full Version : The Guitarist/bassist/drummer thread

One_love_silvia
04-16-2011, 01:22 AM
So i haven't seen any kind of thread like this around and i thought i'd try to start one and see how many zilvian musicians we have out here.

personally, i play guitar and have been since around 8th grade. im self taught, but havent had much time for it in the past yr and a half or so, so im gettin a little rusty..

I have a washburn electric acoustic guitar and a samick artist series les paul addition. fairly rare, but nothing spectacular. as for the washburn, its decent, but was pretty cheap.

on the acoustic i have steel strings coated in blue for extra durability and longevity.

on the electric, i have dimebag darrell high voltage steel strings. they're pretty pricey, but they are easy on the fingers and are great for pinch harmonics (aka squeelies) ;)

as for ampage...i rock a spider III line 6 100 (or 120 cant remember) watt amp, a boss metal zone pedal, and a ibanez weeping demon wah pedal i rarely use.

i mainly play different forms of metal, punk, and rock. i play some acoustic songs though (obviously, not much point in havin an acoustic if i didnt)

il see if i can post a video up once i get the time/stop being lazy.

lets hear what u rock :)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/deathsreaper200/HPIM3323.jpg

sidedrifts13
04-16-2011, 01:33 AM
I am a drummer I have been drumming for about 7 years ill post up some vids soon

xBtony
04-16-2011, 01:40 AM
Hmm lets see, Ive played guitar on and off for like 4 years or soo, too like one year of lessons. I have a 1980 Fender Strat. Im too lazy to find pics haha. I mostly payed any kinds of metal or rock, some acoustic sometimes on my other acoustic guitar (i forgot who makes it haha)

And like a year ago i got a drum set given to me and tought my self how to play.

Then i moved and had to get rid of the drums. I still have the guitar but i havent played it in a while.

Wasnt mentioned in the thread anywhere but Ive played piano since i was like 5, took 7 years of lessons got real good, obviously after that much time into it haha. Havent really played in a few years, just a few random made up things here and then, and of corse christmas songs come christmas time :p

One_love_silvia
04-16-2011, 01:44 AM
haha nice. how easy was it to learn drums/ guitar since u played piano? rumor has it that people who play piano can play like anything if they try it lol.

and what was ur first real song u tried to learn to play on the guitar? i was inspired by kirk hammett from metallica, so my first song was master of puppets. of course i only got through the few riffs at first lol. still cant play the whole thing...shits hard T.T esp all down strokes haha

rice_bowl
04-16-2011, 02:14 AM
I play drums, piano, sax, clarinet, and the turntables once in awhile. That's all.

DRIFTO16
04-16-2011, 02:26 AM
i have played guitar for maybe 7 years now
i have a shekter guitar with a b52 cab and line 6 head
and even have a band we play hardcore
music is the shit =]
keep it up guys

One_love_silvia
04-16-2011, 04:30 PM
heres my shitty video i promised. this was awhile ago. and just fyi, i shake bad when im hungry, if the excuse i give at the beginning wasnt clear lol..

hrkqjC1oACQ

edit: im pretty damn good at "it must really suck to be four years strong right now" by four years strong, so i think il post a vid up of my cover on that probably tomorrow.

LimeLite Racing
04-16-2011, 04:50 PM
I started playing guitar at 12 and was immediately thrown into lessons. Took 3 years of Jazz, 1 year of Rock Lead, 1 year of classical and 6 months of advanced sweeping and picking techniques. Played in bands on/off for the past 12 years or so, started doing vocals, signed to Melophobia Recs, left Melophobia Recs, moved to Portland where I now jam on my Ibanez S-Series (ultraaaaaa thin and light). I played dozens of shows with it and it always took the abuse. The more expensive of my collection probably won't ever go further than a studio. Amp of choice was a 6505+ and my Marshall cab for the throaty hardcore/metal shred tones.
Currently in the market for a super technical drummer, so if anyone knows anyone in the Northwest, get at me. Record deal and studio connections for serious musicians. Word.

jdm240sx122
04-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Does Frooty Loops count???????
:P

LoL.

LimeLite Racing
04-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Does Frooty Loops count???????
:P

LoL.

Fuck yeah. Frooty Loops is amazing!

atutt
04-16-2011, 11:42 PM
I bought my first guitar in August. PIcked up a PRS SE.
Teaching myself Tool songs...

ESmorz
04-17-2011, 12:07 AM
I just got done with the major repairs on a 1969 Sears Roebuck classical guitar. My dad bought it brand new in '69 and for some odd reason didn't keep it with the rest of his collection of guitars. Instead, he left in the attic where some 20 odd years of sweltering heat undid the glue and buckled the wood.

I still have some sanding and fit/finish stuff to do, but it's a good feeling to keep something like this guitar alive.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/AvrilH8er13/guitar.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/AvrilH8er13/guitar2.jpg

One_love_silvia
04-17-2011, 12:30 AM
I just got done with the major repairs on a 1969 Sears Roebuck classical guitar. My dad bought it brand new in '69 and for some odd reason didn't keep it with the rest of his collection of guitars. Instead, he left in the attic where some 20 odd years of sweltering heat undid the glue and buckled the wood.

I still have some sanding and fit/finish stuff to do, but it's a good feeling to keep something like this guitar alive.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/AvrilH8er13/guitar.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/AvrilH8er13/guitar2.jpg

damn nice. is that thing gunna be worth any money?

ESmorz
04-17-2011, 12:33 AM
damn nice. is that thing gunna be worth any money?

Doubt it, it only cost me five bucks to mend though. So I figured it would be a shame to let it go out with the trash.

One_love_silvia
04-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Doubt it, it only cost me five bucks to mend though. So I figured it would be a shame to let it go out with the trash.

true that. anyone else gunna post up some videos or am i the only one with the ballz?! lol jk.

but not really.:hahano:

revat619
04-17-2011, 01:35 AM
I've been playing drums for about 7 years. I play at my church and i play in an indie poppish, funkish rock band( its hard to describe lol). some of our influences are rage against the machine, foo fighers, incubus, muse, mew, kings of leon if that helps. i'm actually recording for our demo next weekend. once that's all done we'll set up the itunes, webpage stuff and i'll update this.

My set up @ church. Band stuff is the same expect the cymbals.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/revat619/0321091841.jpg

pearl birch kit
evans ec2 coated heads
aquarian super kick II bass drum heads
pearl eliminator single kick pedal
iron cobra high hat (reason for this is i used to have a iron cobra double...which was a POS by the way)
Zildjan avedis/zxt cymbals. I HATE zxt's but its what i use at church. I'll be recording with K and A customs and master sound high hats.
roc-n-soc throne.
ddrum maple snare with evans genera dry heads
Pro-mark 2bs/Vic Firth 3a's for band stuff and vic-firth SD9s/Zoro signature sticks for church.

xBtony
04-17-2011, 01:57 AM
haha nice. how easy was it to learn drums/ guitar since u played piano? rumor has it that people who play piano can play like anything if they try it lol.

and what was ur first real song u tried to learn to play on the guitar? i was inspired by kirk hammett from metallica, so my first song was master of puppets. of course i only got through the few riffs at first lol. still cant play the whole thing...shits hard T.T esp all down strokes haha

Rumors true. Knowing piano and knowing how to read music REALLY helped me a lot, its made learning other things a lot easier haha

Im with you on Metallica, first full song I knew was Enter Sandmad, and a few AC/DC songs, then Master of Puppets too hahah, i got that whole song down it was just the solo that kicked my ass lol

One_love_silvia
04-17-2011, 02:18 AM
Rumors true. Knowing piano and knowing how to read music REALLY helped me a lot, its made learning other things a lot easier haha

Im with you on Metallica, first full song I knew was Enter Sandmad, and a few AC/DC songs, then Master of Puppets too hahah, i got that whole song down it was just the solo that kicked my ass lol

haha nice. ya i can do the whole song now, but im never gunna get the solo down. im not too great with solos. i have a double jointed pink so i cant use it for finger fretting =( plus i think if i had learned to play guitar left handed, i would be better than i am. (im a lefty, but i play guitar right-handed T.T)

Gizmo_S13
04-17-2011, 10:34 PM
I've been playing guitar for 10 years now hahaha I'm actually in a alternative/indie/Spanish rock band my gear is a Ibanez RG, Fender Stratocaster, Washburn ML,a Electric Acoustic, Randall 70 watt amp, Crybaby wag pedal, that's about it.

^^^ Master of Puppets was one of the first songs I ever learned the solo took me a whole summer but I eventually learned it and yes, learning how to read sheet music/chords is a bitch but definitely worth it.

One_love_silvia
04-17-2011, 11:03 PM
I've been playing guitar for 10 years now hahaha I'm actually in a alternative/indie/Spanish rock band my gear is a Ibanez RG, Fender Stratocaster, Washburn ML,a Electric Acoustic, Randall 70 watt amp, Crybaby wag pedal, that's about it.

^^^ Master of Puppets was one of the first songs I ever learned the solo took me a whole summer but I eventually learned it and yes, learning how to read sheet music/chords is a bitch but definitely worth it.

master of puppets ftw! hows that 70w amp treat u? ive thought about selling my line 6 for money for the car, but i just cant do it. its too amazing :ssex:

Gizmo_S13
04-17-2011, 11:45 PM
^^^^ honestly I've been wanting to upgrade my amp but the sound on that amp has never failed me and once I hook up some FX pedals it sings. I actually want to buy a Fender or Marshall Amp cause I like Reverb on those, the Line 6 is great and I actually got to use the Spider? I believe but it's more of distortion focused amp IMO.

Haha MOP was a pain in the ass hahaha especially the acoustic parts, the solo was heh... I just lacked the extra frets back then.

zspeedrft
04-18-2011, 01:07 AM
been playing guitar for 12 years and vocals....currently in the studio working on an album...reggae/dub/rock...some good shit in the works

One_love_silvia
04-18-2011, 02:12 AM
^^^^ honestly I've been wanting to upgrade my amp but the sound on that amp has never failed me and once I hook up some FX pedals it sings. I actually want to buy a Fender or Marshall Amp cause I like Reverb on those, the Line 6 is great and I actually got to use the Spider? I believe but it's more of distortion focused amp IMO.

Haha MOP was a pain in the ass hahaha especially the acoustic parts, the solo was heh... I just lacked the extra frets back then.

i love my distortion :)
did u learn MOP the right way? in other words, all down strokes? (besides the solo obviously)

Mr Fist9
04-18-2011, 06:10 AM
I've been playing guitar for awhile here's my two babies.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7710/dscn3264ev.jpg
I have many more but these two are my favorites :D

onehundredoctane
04-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Played drums for 7 years, then about halfway thru college I donated them to the church because I didn't have time for them anymore. Got a phone call about a month ago and found out the drums had gone to waste as there was no one interested in playing them in the last year. This worked out great because I've been missing my drums more and more! I have a 5 piece Pearl with a 14" hi hat and a 21" medium crash cymbal, both are Zildjan. I'm looking to add a few more cymbals to the set soon!

Gizmo_S13
04-18-2011, 08:49 AM
i love my distortion :)
did u learn MOP the right way? in other words, all down strokes? (besides the solo obviously)

I used to love my distortion but the older I got the less I played it. Since I was always playing fast I never practiced how to play slow and make chords sing but now I got that down. The only thing I still play fast is when I'm in the mood to play Sodom, Testament, or Sepultura.
Of course, just like almost every metallica song. Haha that shit kicks your ass after a while.

One_love_silvia
04-18-2011, 12:17 PM
I've been playing guitar for awhile here's my two babies.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7710/dscn3264ev.jpg
I have many more but these two are my favorites :D

<<<super jealous. those are sexyyyy. wish i could afford a nice guitar T.T

i hate my high ass action on my guitar...

nikkisixx69
04-18-2011, 12:41 PM
ive been playing nearly 9 years now, dont get to play it as much as i want to as im so busy, but after a lil practice i can still bust out some shred solos!

i play a gibson sg

heres a video of me 2 years ago entering a steel panther guitar solo contest
(you had to make up your own solo to their song)
i dressed up glam metal as i thought it was appropriate for the contest

few mistakes but whatever haha

yHIChf_gK64

One_love_silvia
04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
any other zilvian musicians out there? :o
lets get more videos up peeps

deathrace2000
04-20-2011, 09:37 PM
I have a hot-rodded P-Bass deluxe and a GK half stack. Photos later.

Gizmo_S13
04-20-2011, 10:01 PM
any other zilvian musicians out there? :o
lets get more videos up peeps

I'll see if I can get a recording of my band up this weekend. We have No^ singer so.. It's instrumental.

deathrace2000
04-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Fender P-Bass Special body, MIM Jazz neck, '78 American Jazz bridge pickup, DiMarzio Split P in the bridge. I wired it with a single volume, single tone and a three way selector. Next on my 'mod list' is a Leo Quan BAII and a neck with a tele headstock. Ha.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/deathrace2000/Bass.jpg

DeathMetal
04-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Since I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on this blasted forum, here's a link to my Imageshack album of my kit over the years.

http://img202.imageshack.us/g/mp1m.jpg/

I've been drumming since I was 15. Played for a church, 2 deathcore bands, and a post rock band.

http://www.myspace.com/wethewretched

Go listen to me drum or something. I didn't really put too much effort into metal. I much preferred post rock, funk, and hip-hop.

My all time favorite drummer happens to be Benny Greb. I took a lot of influence from him and the likes of Stanton Moore, Derek Roddy, and really anyone who can hold down a groove. Pocket and linear drumming are some of my favorite things to fuck around with.

DeathMetal
04-21-2011, 12:14 AM
iron cobra high hat (reason for this is i used to have a iron cobra double...which was a POS by the way)

Agreed completely. Worst and most over-hyped pedals I've ever played on. I've had 2 pairs and they're just garbage.

Axis is win.

One_love_silvia
04-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Agreed completely. Worst and most over-hyped pedals I've ever played on. I've had 2 pairs and they're just garbage.

Axis is win.

more like BOSS. ive had my metal zone pedal since 8th grade. still works like a charm. and they are still sold in stores for the exact same price i bought it for 6 yrs ago lol

jdm240sx122
04-21-2011, 12:39 AM
:rimshot::rawk:

revat619
04-21-2011, 03:20 AM

Axis is win.

Thank you! Iron cobras are crap. For whatever reason though, EVERY guitar center i've ever been to the drum dudes are totally crazy about it. so stupid. :rolleyes:

If i was a serious double pedal player though i would definitely go with Axis or the double version of the single pedal i already have. I LOVE my pearl eliminator. I'm definitely more of a groove player though and a double isnt really necessary for church or for the band i'm in, BUUUUT it would be nice to be able to throw in a gnarly breakdown every now and then. :D

One_love_silvia
04-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Thank you! Iron cobras are crap. For whatever reason though, EVERY guitar center i've ever been to the drum dudes are totally crazy about it. so stupid. :rolleyes:

If i was a serious double pedal player though i would definitely go with Axis or the double version of the single pedal i already have. I LOVE my pearl eliminator. I'm definitely more of a groove player though and a double isnt really necessary for church or for the band i'm in, BUUUUT it would be nice to be able to throw in a gnarly breakdown every now and then. :D

lies.... all LIES! double pedal is ALWAYS NECESSARY! :D

DeathMetal
04-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Much win here. This is that Benny Greb guy I was talking about in case you guys didn't know.

YouTube - Benny Greb - jazzclub-drumsolo March 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMJtIWD6FUw)

One_love_silvia
04-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Much win here. This is that Benny Greb guy I was talking about in case you guys didn't know.

YouTube - Benny Greb - jazzclub-drumsolo March 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMJtIWD6FUw)

its nice to see a drum solo that actual sounds nice, and not just someone beating on drums really fast for 30 seconds. probably less tiring too lol

samms95s14se
04-25-2011, 11:36 AM
I've been playing Bass guitar since the early 90's and have been in a handful of Reggae bands in San Diego over the years. I haven't played much in the last few years but I've been thinking to start up again with some old band members.

JZ33
04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
been playing guitar for about 6 years now... mainly metal... im looking inot buying a Xiphos XPT707... kind of want an 8 string but not enough money for that haha