PDA

View Full Version : Help please!!! Grinding coming from transmission

CristianJ
04-15-2011, 08:46 PM
so i recently bout a 91 coupe with the problem of the clutch pedal sticking to the floor. replaced the slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder and bled the system. problem solved but clutch works like normal. only thing is when i went to start the car and let out the clutch pedal it makes a loud grinding/scraping sound. when i push in the clutch it goes away but as soon as i let it out half way it starts to grind. any ideas?

nissan junky
04-15-2011, 09:18 PM
It can be your throw out bearing..

Sileighty_85
04-15-2011, 10:07 PM
or pilot bearing

theres a guy on here JUMPIN, I think he uploaded a vid of his, check it out and if its the same sound it the pilot bearing

CristianJ
04-15-2011, 10:17 PM
yeah i've been reading that it could be either the throw out bearing or pilot. maybe ill just replace them both and see what happens

future
04-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Do the sell throwout bearing seperate? I say while you got the trans apart put a new clutch setup and resurface your flywheel while your at it

M11's
04-15-2011, 10:54 PM
some crazy shit happened to my trans last weekend that sounded like what your describing exactly. the "pivot ball screw" that sits behind the clutch fork snapped in half causing what your saying.

CristianJ
04-16-2011, 06:59 AM
some crazy shit happened to my trans last weekend that sounded like what your describing exactly. the "pivot ball screw" that sits behind the clutch fork snapped in half causing what your saying.

how much that cost you to fix? or what did you do?

CrimsonRockett
04-16-2011, 03:03 PM
how much that cost you to fix? or what did you do?

Fixing/replacing a pivot ball is actually very easy and inexpensive (that is if you're doing it yourself).

Might as well upgrade to a Nismo/SPL Pivot ball.

The Nismo Shop : West Covina Nissan : SPL PARTS HARD PIVOT BALL (http://www.thenismoshop.com/catalog/240SX_180SX_Silvia-Nismo_Clutch_and_Clutch_Accessories/SPL_PARTS_HARD_PIVOT_BALL.html)

The "hard" part is dropping your transmission because you can not service (err, replace) a pivot ball on car.

Drain transmission, remove driveshaft, disconnect trans sensors, remove shifter, remove starter, remove transmission bolts, place jack at the back of the transmission, remove transmission crossmember, wiggle the transmission out of the engine, then lower it carefully (easier with two people).

It's a 2-3 hour job at most if you're only replacing the pivot ball.

CristianJ
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
So i guess the clutch was just replaced. So maybe i wont replace it

CristianJ
04-17-2011, 08:28 PM
so i got around to pulling my trans today. drained the fluid and there was some metal shaving in there. got the transmission on the ground and pulled the throw out bearing off and the fork. the pivot ball and fork were ok but how do you inspect the tob? also is the input shaft supposed to have any play?

nissan junky
04-18-2011, 10:47 AM
When the tranns is in the motor the pilot bearing keeps it from moving so if it has play, the pilot bearing takes care of that in the crank.If i was you i will just replace both of them now that you have her down....does your car s tranny shift good in all gears?