PDA

View Full Version : battery relocation kelp??

heavyd06
04-15-2011, 05:09 PM
ive researched and my question is that my car has no positive cable..so would i just conect the positive straigh to the battery in the trunk or what? sumonw told me about giving power to the harness but im confused i dont know that much about electronics.. thanks

fullthrottle
04-15-2011, 05:13 PM
ive researched and my question is that my car has no positive cable..so would i just conect the positive straigh to the battery in the trunk or what? sumonw told me about giving power to the harness but im confused i dont know that much about electronics.. thanks

Your car has to have a positive cable. Just run a big gauge wire from the battery forward to the engine bay and attach it to where your battery used to get its positive connection with a split bolt. Wrap in e tape and call it a day.

heavyd06
04-15-2011, 05:18 PM
theres no cable coming out of the starter or where it should come out from..the car only has the negative cable..

1slowS13
04-15-2011, 05:39 PM
you know the cable where the positive terminal connects to originally? he meant by running the wire through and connecting it to that.

xBtony
04-16-2011, 02:01 AM
Ive heard you should run either a big fuse or a shut off swithc for saftey too, yea? lol

statickx991
04-16-2011, 03:57 AM
negative to chassis and usually the positive goes to main fuse box and starter. i believe

Chrisw
04-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Ive heard you should run either a big fuse or a shut off swithc for saftey too, yea? lol

That's what I did (a big fuse) but it has just been a pain in the ass... Although it could have saved my cars electronics and I would have no idea. The split bolt is an idea.. but there has to be a cleaner way to connect the two wires other then a bolt wrapped in elec tape...

theboy
04-17-2011, 06:09 PM
easiest way to do what you want is to cut the positive end off your stock harness(its actually 3 different wires and 2 connectors next to each other).Strip them and twist them all together and solider them into a connector that will fit on the positive side of the starter. Then run a positive cable from the back(battery) to the same post on the starter. Now you can either run a 2nd wire from the battery to the spot where the stock negative connects to the intake mani, or you can run it to a bare spot on the chassis in the rear. If you doing it for a certain race class, then do your home work cause it probably calls for a kill switch inline with the positive or negative side. If not, and your running the negative to a bare spot, then run the kill switch inline with that where ever you can reach it.

Chrisw
04-17-2011, 06:24 PM
easiest way to do what you want is to cut the positive end off your stock harness(its actually 3 different wires and 2 connectors next to each other).Strip them and twist them all together and solider them into a connector that will fit on the positive side of the starter. Then run a positive cable from the back(battery) to the same post on the starter. Now you can either run a 2nd wire from the battery to the spot where the stock negative connects to the intake mani, or you can run it to a bare spot on the chassis in the rear. If you doing it for a certain race class, then do your home work cause it probably calls for a kill switch inline with the positive or negative side. If not, and your running the negative to a bare spot, then run the kill switch inline with that where ever you can reach it.

Ok, so I'm a racing noob here, but what does a kill switch really do for racing? If you crash you can kill the bat? So it needs to be reachable from the drivers seat?

RentonD
04-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Ok, so I'm a racing noob here, but what does a kill switch really do for racing? If you crash you can kill the bat? So it needs to be reachable from the drivers seat?

Yes, more or less. You need to be able to reach the kill switch from the driver seat in the event of a crash to prevent electricity from causing fires/explosions. Some race cars even use kill switches on their brake pedal in case brakes fail.

Pro ViZIon
04-17-2011, 07:07 PM
A kill switch is basically a breaker like in your house. So yeah it will disrupt the connection.

You could also use some really thick gauge audio cable from the positive battery terminal and route to the engine bay to a power distribution block. There you could hook up a connection the the starter and the other 3 wires for the ignition and alternator.

Likethunda
04-18-2011, 09:54 AM
sumonw told me about giving power to the harness but im confused i dont know that much about electronics.. thanks

I think you should let someone with experience handle this.... you may only make things worse by tackling it on your own...

but to answer your question (from personal experience) Positive cable runs to Starter and is connected to your Lower Harness(transmission Harness)

ive relocated my own battery... you just need to Run a Thick cable from the engine bay to the Rear and use a Distribution block so you can connect the Starter/Alternator/accessories to that Fat cable leading to your Trunk(battery).... Run a Fuse as well, cause we dont want NO Problems .. Naramean vanirra face?

jstrunk
04-23-2011, 09:32 AM
I relocated the battery in my RX7 it's pretty simple really.

The negative cable is going to mount to the chassis, as close as possible to where you mount your battery. the positive is the same cable that goes to your main fuse box. Now in between the positive and cable from the fuse box to the battery i put in a circuit breaker. Also, i'd make sure you get a sealed battery if you're moving it to inside the engine bay. for me, i used the westco miata battery because it was small and i had to re-locate it in a small bin. Make sure that your mounting the battery securely because you don't want it to move at all once it's mounted.

godrifttoday
04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
For cable run it from a e36 BMW. They run a 0 gauge or 1 gauge wire from the trunk to the front of the engine bay. I bought mine at a junk yard for $3.50 and it's appx 12-13 feet long