PDA

View Full Version : QR25 Pros and Cons

misnomer
10-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Here's something I haven't seen here yet. I saw this thread on the NICO forums this morning, but it was riddled with unfounded opinions and missinformation. The QR25 seems to be a replacement for our KA24s. Now, being a newer motor, you'd expect it to be generally better, which stock for stock it generally is. However, very often something new comes out with a different purpose in mind, making the old school folk like it less than what's out.

Lets take a few moments to inflate our egos or crush our spirits and discuss the KA24 versus the QR25.

edit: thanks, mmem :P

mrmephistopheles
10-09-2003, 01:26 PM
QR25.

To me, it's a pretty well moot discussion until Nissan decides to make a rwd QR. It certainly has it's merits and Nissan did a good job designing it. It's definitely a replacement for KA24. KA series is 15 years old now! It's definitely time for it to be retired (and yet the Frontiers and Xterras are still getting KA24s, albiet made in Mexico). The QR is yet another part of Nissan's cost cutting procedures, wherein they're now only using two motors for FWD, QR25DE and VQ35DE. For rwd it's VQ35DE, VH45DE and whatever the name of the Titan motor is.

AutoDestruct
10-09-2003, 07:45 PM
The Fwd QR's in the Spec V sentras really sucked d**k. They made all these funky heat shield type noises and didn't really impress me as a Torquey motor at all. My old S13 with KA24DE pulled way harder down low. I drove a couple, some lightly modded ones and some stock, they all pretty much felt the same. It's fun Working at the Auto Auction:D

I guess they would have potential , I mean its a 2.5 right? They do have the one thing I fear the most though. Emissions, and hard core OBD-?!!:mad:

ca18guy
10-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Don't see what heat sheild noise has to do with the engine seems to more be an issue with the car (hey its a common 240 problem!) Its a relitivly new engine so the aftermarket isn't big for it yet. But I have seen a custom turbo engine running close to 300 whp reliable for a few months so far, so it can't be that bad of an engine. Once more people start working on them and finding the weaknesses we'll have a better idea of how good it is. If its held back by emmissions equipment that just means more power is to be found when you get rid of the emmisions equipment :D

-Moving to OT

Rennen
10-09-2003, 10:14 PM
My friend has a 02 SpecV. If we have fun runs at autocross on Sunday, we will trade cars. Then I can let you know how the QR25DE stacks up against a tired, old, smoking KA24E:D We are both novice drivers(not very good) and I usually barely beat his times(both cars stock). But its completely different through the 6 speed and FWD.

-Matt

sykikchimp
10-10-2003, 03:56 PM
I drive a spec-v all the time.. on the track, auto-x, highway..

I think the engine rocks. a lighter flywheel, some cams/valve springs, and you other basic I/H/E and they rock nads. If JWT would get off their butt, and finish an ECU for it, that would be super nice. Your nuts if you think the KA pulls harder than the QR.. It has a TON more low end torque, It just lacks a bit on the top end.. (sound familier?) The 02's actually had higher gear ratio's in the first couplke gears. They scream to redline. It was actually pretty funny b/c mygirl was test driving an 02', and as soon as she pulled of the lot, before she knew what happened, she was in the rev limiter. Pretty funny to see the look on the sales ladies face.. :eek:

The KA is a just a workhorse motor. The QR has a much smoother power band, and is way more powerful. Her car is stock, and she easily walks my car with I/E. The QR responds to mods a lot better than the KA too.

The RTR Spec-v is putting over 250 hp to the wheels N/A. granted thats with a completely worked engine. Still pretty cool if you ask me.

since this about the motors, I'm not going to say anything about how much more kickass the 240 is.. :D :D

hondaguy
10-12-2003, 01:28 AM
i was always wondering why i always see them for sale for like 6-9000$ with less than 10,000 miles on them, it seems like its a good car as far as motor and looks wise.

Rennen
10-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Well at autocross Sunday me and my friend with the SpecV and I traded cars for 4 fun runs.

I can safely say that the QR25DE ****ing rocks. Coupled with the LSD, the SpecV would pull much harder out of the corners than my RWD car. Also the engine makes more power up high and doesnt run out of breath as quickly as mine. My car had newly acquired Azenis and his car had OEM tires, but I beat my 240 times by 1.544 seconds with his SpecV:eek: (this is on a course where fast cars with good drivers were getting 40s runs) and its not like my 240 times were that slow, I won G Stock!!!

Granted, the only thing I can really compare this to is my tired old KA24E that I am fairly sure isn't making full compression.

Of the SpecV the engine, seats, and brakes were much better than my car and wouldn't mind swapping any of those over. But thats not to say I like the SpecV better than my car. The RWD of the 240 just feels better, as a matter of fact, after switching cars for fun runs, my friend Jon is now looking for a black 240 coupe:D