PDA

View Full Version : hud and digital cluster swapped. working to non working in 10 seconds..

emu103
04-13-2011, 04:13 PM
just got another hud/digital cluster setup because mine didnt work. i plugged it in before leaving and the digital display worked. so did the hud

the tach and fuel gauge from the new, working cluster did not work so i just swapped the digital display over to my cluster that didnt work.

guess what...now the digital display or hud will not work.

my luck as usual. i put it all back into the cluster i bought today just to see if i could get the digital display to even work and nothing.

i do notice in my garage in dark light that lots of faint red bars appear, but nothing of importance.

any suggestions on what to check next. I hate my car

Mel-O
04-13-2011, 11:17 PM
check the wires that run off of it, just follow them and see if you have imperfections in the wires, grounds, or even harness connectors

emu103
04-14-2011, 09:15 AM
check the wires that run off of it, just follow them and see if you have imperfections in the wires, grounds, or even harness connectors

Thats been done. Everything was re assembled like original in the original cluster with no results.

Im competent enough to have gone over basics. I didnt know if anyone had experienced this before.

Big_E-Dog
04-14-2011, 09:56 AM
it happened with the one i had when i did the swap from the 3rd gen to 2nd gen maxima, the ecu is toast, i had the same red lines and all.

emu103
04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
it happened with the one i had when i did the swap from the 3rd gen to 2nd gen maxima, the ecu is toast, i had the same red lines and all.

You mean my ecu that controls everything? Like THE ecu?

Dignity
04-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Umm... I really hope not THE ecu. I just tried to install my digi cluster today and I've just been having the common speedo/HUD not turn on, but I didn't notice anything else that may effect THE ecu.

Big_E-Dog
04-15-2011, 06:23 AM
no there is an ecu in the cluster that controols the digi part, dont know if it is removeable like the maxima/300zx one, iirc i thik it is internal...

emu103
04-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Its just crazy that it worked, so i bought it.
Get it home and it doesnt work. Im starting to think because it was sittig in the guys hot ass trunk that may have something to do with it.

Darren
04-15-2011, 09:13 AM
gotta work with common elements, seems like it might be something in your car that's causing it.

Try the cluster(s) in another car and see if you get the same problems. If they work, then you know it's something in your car, if not, then you know the cluster is no good.

That still doesn't explain how it might have gone bad...

Does anyone know if the HUD mechanism has a fuse inside it?

Big_E-Dog
04-16-2011, 05:00 AM
naaah no fuses but a bunch of capacitors