PDA

View Full Version : rsr besti coils vs apexi exv? any experiences?

kenshinS14sks
04-13-2011, 12:18 AM
i find some reviews here and there about the exv, but more thorough experiences would be greatly appreciated. BUT i find little to none about the rsr coils. . . the few that i find say it's pretty good but which one would you get why???

wh0aitznic0
04-13-2011, 09:59 AM
I've actually never heard of coils by RSR. But then again, I've heard Apexi's are just rebranded Megan's so I dunno.

ZenkiKid
04-13-2011, 10:54 AM
yeap rebranded and "better valved" than megans.. the better valving part i highly doubt to be honest.

sidewaysil80
04-13-2011, 10:59 AM
I've heard Apexi's are just rebranded Megan's so I dunno.

yeap rebranded and "better valved" than megans.. the better valving part i highly doubt to be honest.

i doubt it, HIGHLY. i had a set of the apexi exv's and they were really really great coils. i've ridden in various cars with megans and their is a metric shit ton of difference between the two.

simmode1
04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
i doubt it, HIGHLY. i had a set of the apexi exv's and they were really really great coils. i've ridden in various cars with megans and their is a metric shit ton of difference between the two.
Are you guys talking EXV N1's or EXV Pro's?

Can you comment on the lowering capabilities of the EVX's versus Megans. Or the amount of backspace available from the EXV N1's?

Jimmytango00 was able to get this low & fit 17x10+18 up front with EXV Pro's with no spacers under stock fender... Can I fit that same size with the EXV N1's?
RIMTUCK.com - Setup (http://www.rimtuck.com/setup.php?id=755)
http://www.rimtuck.com/photos/1247936628.jpg

sidewaysil80
04-13-2011, 12:30 PM
i had the n1's (or whichever ones are around 1-1200 bucks and all red.

simmode1
04-13-2011, 12:46 PM
I have really been considering the EVX N1's versus Megans for a long time now. Unfortunately, info on the Apexi's is kinda slim around the net. Got any pics of your car with the EVX's? And what was your wheel/tire setup?

I'm trying to find something that will let me fit 17x10+18(ish) without spacers. I know I can get Megan's with extended coilover mounting brackets, but I'd rather go with the more exclusive or uncommon Apexi's if they'll meet my needs...

axiomatik
04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
You could probably fit it with Silk Roads. The wheel-strut clearance is adjustable. The top spindle mounting hole has a square plate with an offset hole punched int it. You then have 4 different settings for your wheel-to-strut clearance.

gearhead55
04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
You could probably fit it with Silk Roads. The wheel-strut clearance is adjustable. The top spindle mounting hole has a square plate with an offset hole punched int it. You then have 4 different settings for your wheel-to-strut clearance.

why even mention this, silk roads are in a completely different price range IIRC.

Anyway, i have EXV N1s I think. The previous owner bought them but he told me they were EXVs and they say N1 on the adjusting knob. They are alright, but i haven't driven anything with the megans so i can't make a direct comparison.

I have heard that the megans and the apexis use the same spring but have different tolerances for the valving (how reliable this statement is i don't know). I plan on switching to Swift springs on this coilover and when i do i can report back on how it affects the ride. Supposedly a better spring can make quite a difference.

Also, i will be running 17x9 f and 17x10 rear RPF1s, so when i the 5 lug and brakes done i can test fit the 17x10s on the front and check clearance. I won't have this done for another 2 months though, i dunno what kind of time frame you need a definitive answer by...

axiomatik
04-14-2011, 01:58 PM
When I bought mine they were $1450, so not that far off from the Apexi's.

Your post, however, is simply a fountain of information. You think you might have one of the models discussed, but aren't sure, and some time in the future you plan on fitting something similar, but not for months, so you don't know.

gearhead55
04-14-2011, 04:02 PM
When I bought mine they were $1450, so not that far off from the Apexi's.

Your post, however, is simply a fountain of information. You think you might have one of the models discussed, but aren't sure, and some time in the future you plan on fitting something similar, but not for months, so you don't know.

Haha yea point taken. and i thought the silk roads were more expensive than that.

fliprayzin240sx
04-14-2011, 04:48 PM
If the Apex'i ones has the same body/outter design as the MRs, I doubt you'd fit 17x10 +18 up front if its slammed. I had MRs and I had to slap 8mm spacers to clear the front strut, while slammed to the ground on 17x10 +12. The inner lip of the rim was basically touching the spring. If you raise the car up where the spring and collar are above the rim, then you might clear.

But at the same time, I'm running Topline Aragostas out here and I have no issue clearing 18x10 +18 up front. Design is alot skinnier than the MRs.

My old Kouki with MRs and 17x10 +12 FNs with 8mm spacers up front with 235/40R17:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g254/fliprayzin240sx/Kouki%20S14/ray01-1.jpg

Topline Aragostas with 18x10 +18 Equips, 225/40R18s:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g254/fliprayzin240sx/Zenki%20S14/IMG_3035.jpg

simmode1
04-15-2011, 02:47 PM
If the Apex'i ones has the same body/outter design as the MRs, I doubt you'd fit 17x10 +18 up front if its slammed.
Here's the thing though: Unless that guy I posted from Rimtuck lied about using spacers up front, its already been done. i know he's on Zilvia too, but he's never responded to my PM's.

His setup on Rimtuck says he's using Apexi N1 Pro's. Apexi doesn't currently sell a coilover with that name, so I figure it must be a discontinued model. I just wanna know what are the differences between clearance & lowering capabilities of the N1 Type Pro's versus the EVX N1's. I guess I'll just have to find someone at Apexi to ask at some point...

And as the the Megan's not clearing 18x10+18 without spacers, I thought thats what their 25mm extended brackets were for...

axiomatik
04-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Here's the thing though: Unless that guy I posted from Rimtuck lied about using spacers up front, its already been done. i know he's on Zilvia too, but he's never responded to my PM's.

His setup on Rimtuck says he's using Apexi N1 Pro's. Apexi doesn't currently sell a coilover with that name, so I figure it must be a discontinued model. I just wanna know what are the differences between clearance & lowering capabilities of the N1 Type Pro's versus the EVX N1's. I guess I'll just have to find someone at Apexi to ask at some point...

And as the the Megan's not clearing 18x10+18 without spacers, I thought thats what their 25mm extended brackets were for...

N1 Pro was an older series of coilovers. Not related to the EXV's. The N1 Pros were $2000+

rokmplutonium
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Apexi made in China.
enuff said.

MADE
04-19-2011, 03:27 AM
So the Chinese can't make anything worth a damn? You seriously don't believe that.

rokmplutonium
04-19-2011, 08:00 PM
I've been in the import/export business long enough to know that there is no quality control when it comes to chinese products.
I am not implying that Apexi doesn't quality control their products, but the chinese steel used to make the items are inferior to japanese steel.

singlecamslam
04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
I hope you know that a lot of the "quality" coilovers are also made in taiwan. Apexi exv ARE different than megans, i had both.

kenshinS14sks
04-20-2011, 11:41 AM
so from further research...i think im going with fortune autos. albeit chinese made, their shock dyno kind of won me over