PDA

View Full Version : Hood pin installing

ZRiotFloorin'
04-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Can someone who has done it, help me installing hood pins tomorrow, april 12?
i have no tool and no experience in cutting body parts.

Or recommend me a shop who can do it near Irvine
i have 350z
thanks guyz

Vatche
04-12-2011, 01:24 AM
you can try calling Corner 3 Garage, im sure they can help you out.

ZRiotFloorin'
04-12-2011, 01:29 AM
every time i call them, they want me to come over to look at it -_-
can someone help me install if i get sparco hood pins? they are easier to install than aerocatch

sw20>>s14
04-12-2011, 01:36 AM

then why dont you drive there and let them look at it? -_-

articdragon192
04-12-2011, 01:40 AM

Well it is a shop. Most shops don't do house calls.

ZRiotFloorin'
04-12-2011, 01:43 AM
it's not THAT close to just drive there so that they can just take a look at it. --__--
reputable shops like corner3garage tend to charge more than it's needed. i think i got a quote from them once for something and i was not happy with it at all

i'll give them a call again today

articdragon192
04-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Reputable = good work.
Good work = money.
Can't have your cake and eat it too. If you have no experience, and want someone with experience to do a good job on your car, expect to pay a decent amount.
Plus, a shop just isn't going to be like, oh hey you're close. Sure, I'll send one of my guys over to your place and help you out for $40. Only shady businesses hurting for money looking to make a quick buck at your expense will do something like that.
What're you expecting to pay anyways? What's your budget? I heard iDesigns is back in business.

ZRiotFloorin'
04-12-2011, 01:57 AM
i don't know how much they go for. i know someone who paid $100 to install aerocatch pins. Those are pain in the ass to install.
I expect under $50 for sparco hood pins.

ZRiotFloorin'
04-12-2011, 10:18 AM
corner3 wants $90 an hr. looking for 2-3 hr job

RPSil13
04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
corner3 wants $90 an hr. looking for 2-3 hr job

do you have a drill?
do you know how to work w/ basic hand tools?
do you know how to measure and tape?

is the answer is yes to these questions, you should be able to do it yourself pretty easily,

installed mine in like 10-15 min w/ a little trial and error

only issue to pay attention to is that the top of the hood pin is like this l and the rest is like O, so on top of the hood it looks like a slit, while underneath its a standard hole

***edit, saw that you have no tools :(

in that case try driftspeed, theyre pretty reasonably priced

ZRiotFloorin'
04-12-2011, 12:53 PM
i'll be borrowing a rotary tool from someone i know.
i picked up sparco hood pins today.

Are you be able to help me out,RP?

95_S14
04-12-2011, 01:29 PM
You have a 350z and your being a cheap ass when it comes to someone working on your car you can go to any shop but if your hood flys up it's on you just pay a good shop that knows what there doing

ZRiotFloorin'
04-12-2011, 01:31 PM
you can pay a shop to install your hood pins for $180 but i'm not going to do that. quoted $240 from strafe
I'll be installing em myself.

Vatche
04-12-2011, 03:21 PM
go to a half ass shop, have them hack and wack it. it will cost you under 50.

but from irvine you will have to drive a lot farther to the slums.

Or, you can do what most other people who want to save money do, learn to do it yourself.

installing my hood pins took me 10 minutes to do. it was not complicated at all.
if you cant figure it out yourself, or afford to have someone do it, then Dont install hood pins.

im not trying to be mean or rude, i just think this is funny.

sw20>>s14
04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Well it is a shop. Most shops don't do house calls.

not sure how you got house call from my response to his statement...

either way, people are going to reject doing it because of liability reasons and the people that are willing will charge you an arm and a leg...since theyre just simple sparco pins, do it yourself...measure thrice, cut once--done...

UNITEDMASTER
04-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Dude..... decide where is the best spot on the core suport VS where you want it at on your hood. Now find the closest size drill bit thats the dia. of the pin. mark & drill hole in core support install first pin. Now find a reference point thats the same on both sides of the car. Measure from reference to pin. Duplicate that on the other side, mark it, double check it ,drill hole, mount pin.

Now here is where you can screww up.

Clean the underside of hood where pins make contact.Put some dykem. aka(lay out fluid) on the area of contact ,open & close hood a few times until you have a visable mark.

Now take a really really small drill bit & make a pilot hole,use this small hole to check your alighnment.ADJ as needed then gradually step up the bit size. (if your pin is on an angle you must duplicate said angle on the hole in hood before you make final size hole or you phucked up)

Also try not to place pin where there is a rib in hood(sometimes its unavoidable)

Now clean up the hole until hood closes smooth,mount the topside cover plate.ALSO make a pilot hole, the screws will start alot easier.

DONE,LOLLOLLOL that will be 100 dollars,cash only,LOL

And a rotary tool is not what you need to do this!!!!

godrifttoday
04-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Drive to my house I'll do it for 100

UNITEDMASTER
04-12-2011, 09:13 PM
^^^hahahahahaha.

articdragon192
04-12-2011, 10:20 PM
not sure how you got house call from my response to his statement...

either way, people are going to reject doing it because of liability reasons and the people that are willing will charge you an arm and a leg...since theyre just simple sparco pins, do it yourself...measure thrice, cut once--done...

Wasn't referring to your post. I'll edit my post for clarity haha.

ZRiotFloorin'
04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Dude..... decide where is the best spot on the core suport VS where you want it at on your hood. Now find the closest size drill bit thats the dia. of the pin. mark & drill hole in core support install first pin. Now find a reference point thats the same on both sides of the car. Measure from reference to pin. Duplicate that on the other side, mark it, double check it ,drill hole, mount pin.

Now here is where you can screww up.

Clean the underside of hood where pins make contact.Put some dykem. aka(lay out fluid) on the area of contact ,open & close hood a few times until you have a visable mark.

Now take a really really small drill bit & make a pilot hole,use this small hole to check your alighnment.ADJ as needed then gradually step up the bit size. (if your pin is on an angle you must duplicate said angle on the hole in hood before you make final size hole or you phucked up)

Also try not to place pin where there is a rib in hood(sometimes its unavoidable)

Now clean up the hole until hood closes smooth,mount the topside cover plate.ALSO make a pilot hole, the screws will start alot easier.

DONE,LOLLOLLOL that will be 100 dollars,cash only,LOL

And a rotary tool is not what you need to do this!!!!
i got a rotary tool in hand and will be doing it tomorrow lol
Since i have sparco hood pins, not aerocatch, i wouldn't have to worry about angle too much.
People don't like to offer help, huh :barfkiss:

ZRiotFloorin'
04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
i stripped one of the four hood bolt holes...:(
Anyone has drill and bit to tap thread to little bigger than 1/4" thread pitch?