PDA

View Full Version : got letter from dmv about no insurance

HyperTek
04-11-2011, 02:58 PM
So my engine blew in december.. lack of funds pull me away from finishing the rebuild. I also had smogged the car and paid for registration in early december as well. *cough cough * . and since the car is not running, we pulled the insurance on it.

Well i got a letter from dmv about suspending the registration if i dont come up with insurance in may..

What can i do? id like to tell them that it is not running at the moment hence why i pulled the insurance, but i dont really want to go do non-op and then have to smog it again and pay even more fucking fees to register it.

upsdude
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
do u know anyone who can add u to their policy?

revcyanide
04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
call your insurance company, technically a registered car HAS to be insured. even if sitting. HOWEVER you can insure a care in "storage" status. its literally MAYBE 20 bucks a month.

Vatche
04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
get liability only? its 30 bucks a month or less?

revat619
04-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Either non-op it or keep it on your policy and pay the insurance. If you were full coverage before, you can go to just liability until its running again and that'll save you some money for the time being. There really isnt much else you can do.

revcyanide
04-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Either non-op it or keep it on your policy and pay the insurance. If you were full coverage before, you can go to just liability until its running again and that'll save you some money for the time being. There really isnt much else you can do.
yes there is, as i said, you can pay it in a storage status.

HOWEVER when you get it running, you have to call right away to change it back, even if you are just pulling out of your driveway and someone hits you. youll be fucked.

xpertsnowcarver
04-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Since the car isn't being driven, just call for a bunch of insurance quotes, tell them you want bare minimum liability with a big fat deductible. They won't like to hear that, but then just tell them why. The car doesn't run at the moment, the DMV wants insurance on it, you'll adjust the policy once the car is running again. Insurance shouldn't cost more than $300/year. It should be even less if you're older than 25.

tac 1
04-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I might've read something that u could get an extension. Not sure, I just got that letter too. Lol

Om1kron
04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
So my engine blew in december.. lack of funds pull me away from finishing the rebuild. I also had smogged the car and paid for registration in early december as well. *cough cough * . and since the car is not running, we pulled the insurance on it.

Well i got a letter from dmv about suspending the registration if i dont come up with insurance in may..

What can i do? id like to tell them that it is not running at the moment hence why i pulled the insurance, but i dont really want to go do non-op and then have to smog it again and pay even more fucking fees to register it.

it's been like this for the last 5 years unfortunately, you can't keep it registered to be on the road if you don't have it insured.

fckillerbee
04-11-2011, 03:38 PM
it's really not a big deal. You end up paying a 15 dollar fee to re-instate your registration. You just have to provide insurance and call this stupid fucking company.

I lived through this DMV fucking nightmare....;D

revat619
04-11-2011, 03:58 PM
yes there is, as i said, you can pay it in a storage status.

HOWEVER when you get it running, you have to call right away to change it back, even if you are just pulling out of your driveway and someone hits you. youll be fucked.

Yeah like i said, you're either PAYING for the insurance (whatever the status, storage, liability, full coverage, etc.) or you non-op it.

roboticnissan
04-11-2011, 04:01 PM
I assume that registration is cheaper than insurance.

Siphter
04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
maybe $20? maybe $30? say you use the car for pleasure and only drive the car 10k miles a year and you pay that price whether in "storage" or not

*roommate worked for Farmers and VINSA

HyperTek
04-11-2011, 05:11 PM
it's really not a big deal. You end up paying a 15 dollar fee to re-instate your registration. You just have to provide insurance and call this stupid fucking company.

I lived through this DMV fucking nightmare....;D

so that might be the cheapest route to just let it roll and when i do get it back rolling, insurance and pay that fine to reinstate it.

Been a bitch for me to find a job in the field Im going for, and I might be flying out of state soon due to a family member's health.