PDA

View Full Version : EGI/ EGI pump

untitled23
04-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Yes ive searched this. Ill start from the beginning.

Driving home friday my car just shuts off tryed to pop the clutch to get it started back up and wouldnt start back up.Cranked the engine till battery died. So my mom comes jumps and starts up. Went to drive it today and it died again.so we tow it home because it wouldnt jump back up and so i could work on it. EGI relay was buzzing. I did the pull the EGI pump relay start trick works. But then it eventually die. Now finally i wiggled some ground connects. The one from battery to the bottom of the block.and then the one on the back right of the engine to the firewall. And it is starting again for now atleast. I read that a loose ground can cause the EGI buzzing is from a bad ground. Is this correct? and EGI has something to do with the ECU and ground/power can someone clear this one up for me. and EGI is fuel pump? I just need to find out what excatly causes this so im not stranded on the side of the road again.

holemilk00
04-10-2011, 06:23 PM
There are two EGI relays, one is to run the fuel pump continuously and one is for priming the system and when the key is turned to the start position.

Yes a bad ground will cause one or both of them to buzz.

untitled23
04-10-2011, 06:30 PM
With me driving down the road and the ground wiggles loose or something and its no longer grounded this would cause the car to shut off and not start back up? The previous owner had a main seal leak causing oil to get all over the front.cleaning the engine block where the ground to the battery is may help things? Ive been driving it like that for around 2 months now.tomorrow i plan to check the ohms on the ground to see how high it might be and also ground it somewhere else to the body.

holemilk00
04-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Just clean everything up. Leave the grounds where they are and make sure they have good contact. Yes them coming loose would cause the car to cut off. Go through the process for a minute. If the relay keeps the fuel pump running, and a relay works with power and ground, and it loses that ground, it will disengage and the fuel pump will stop. Once the fuel pressure in the lines gets used up by the injectors, the engine will stop. What I would watch for is with the relay cutting in and out, it can burn up a fuel pump. If you clean everything up, make sure you have good metal to make contact with, and tighten everything back down, you should be fine.

untitled23
04-10-2011, 06:39 PM
alright thank you. i can get the ground points from a FSM?

holemilk00
04-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah they should be listed. If I'm not mistaken, there should be three on that side, one on the chassis rail, one on the motor mount, and one on the firewall. Someone else step in and correct me if I'm wrong here.

untitled23
04-11-2011, 04:07 PM
i tested my resistance at the ground that comes from the harness with the fuel injectors to the head at the right front of the engine. it is a KA24E. the resistance was .015 ohms. cleaned everything tightened it and nothing.. so next thing i should do is tear open the harness and check the wires?

holemilk00
04-11-2011, 04:09 PM
If you have a friend with a running 240, borrow their EGI and EGI pump relays and try it again. You could have burnt out one of yours with the bad grounds and the continuous starting attempts.

untitled23
04-11-2011, 04:20 PM
well its started to start again last night before i ever cleaned the grounds.im just trying to find a solution thats 100% sure that im not gonna end up on the side of the road because of it.

untitled23
04-11-2011, 04:27 PM
also could you tell me what this red clip is for.has some effect on the engine when i disconnect and reconnect it.

http://i52.tinypic.com/28w00f9.jpg

holemilk00
04-11-2011, 04:31 PM
I've never messed with a lot of SOHC motors, but I'm assuming thats a coolant sensor since its in the water neck.

untitled23
04-11-2011, 04:33 PM
coolant sensors only have 1 wire? this one has 2. but it seems to be at the the water neck but in the intake mani.

holemilk00
04-11-2011, 04:35 PM
No the one wire one runs to the gauge in your dash, the two wire one reports to the ECU.

untitled23
04-11-2011, 05:32 PM
ahh i see.well tomorrow if weather permits im going to check the wires in that harness.at one point i could move it in a way that would cause the car to run rougher than what it already does run. has new dizzy cap and rotor plugs and wires and still would run rough..