PDA

View Full Version : Any Grip Drivers Left?

RazOO7
04-09-2011, 08:38 AM
It seems these days there are a ton of threads about drifting and sliding your 240, but no threads for those who corner the old fashioned way. When I setup my car, I went in the grip direction, to be able to corner in control and without any slide and smoke. Anybody out there share my views on corners? And I'm not bashing the drift crowd, I enjoy watching, just not participating.

sidewayz240
04-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Nissan Road Racing Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.nissanroadracing.com)

ixfxi
04-10-2011, 09:57 AM
i love how there is a completely different forum for those of us who actually care about what i call, performance. you know, real performance

yes, there are tons of us who care about grip. i am one.

lets be friends.

WISH ONE
04-10-2011, 10:07 AM
I Want to be friends too lol

articdragon192
04-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Check the suspension modification thread in the tech section as well. Fellow road racer here

frftw
04-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Hey me too!! I put a ca in my s13 for balance, nice and light in the front = better weight distrubution. Right now its in the middle of an overhaul but once its back together i want to throw some safety equiptment in it and get it on the track asap! What series you guys race in?

zac 3ne2nr
04-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Me Me Me.
It's just a vanishing bunch it seems. There was a time the S14 made a decent time attack car.

nate1
04-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Nissan Road Racing Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.nissanroadracing.com/) +1 for this, if u wana go fast check that place out

mikerbike
04-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I like grip. I just don't like paying twice as much per event for a quarter the amount of seat time, compared to a drift event.

wannabdr1ftr
04-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I like grip. I just don't like paying twice as much per event for a quarter the amount of seat time, compared to a drift event.

that's why a lot of people are not doing grip racing as much....but I love it. Hence me owning a GC8. AWD grip :D

edit: but I want to get back into a RWD car to get better at driving, AWD kinda hinders a person ability. So much fun though

techna240
04-10-2011, 02:48 PM
+1 for grip!!

articdragon192
04-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Not sure where you go for events, but when I do road racing events, I usually get around 5-6 25-30 minute sessions.
The drift events in comparison are usually 20-25 minutes long, with about 4-5 sessions. Plus, you aren't constantly running the session, either waiting for your turn to run, whereas with road racing, you're constantly on the track, equating to longer actual seat time and minimal to zero wait time within your session.

towlie
04-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I would love to try my hand at a time attack event, any seat time = good lol

TFD
04-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Gripper over here as well. Thinking of changing the game from drag to time attack.
Want to be able to do the same cornering stuff i do with my CBR600 with the SX.

.... kneedown will be hard I guess haha

frftw
04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
anyone else on the east coast wanna arrange a grip party this summer? we could rent out raceway park or something...

mmdb
04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
^ won't be so hard if you're using stock seats :D

TFD
04-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Mhh... not gonna try it lol ;)

doomviillain
04-10-2011, 04:18 PM
drifting seems like its costs more money. plus, there's no way you can enter the drift scene and not expect to crash. Grip racing is a real sport

+1 for the grip crowd

NewYorkCoupe
04-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Thumbs up for grip driving!!!! sidenote: New York is low on drift events anyways, SCCA is where its at up here.

AGNT84
04-10-2011, 04:41 PM
i dig both but im leaning toward grip driving . mad respect to all the drift cats but i love that grip hahahah

Greg613
04-10-2011, 04:56 PM
drifting seems like its costs more money. plus, there's no way you can enter the drift scene and not expect to crash. Grip racing is a real sport

+1 for the grip crowd

So its not a real sport cause your afraid to crash? man up. If you crash suck it up and get back out there.

Lukasss
04-10-2011, 05:23 PM
If you drift, expect to fuck shit up. It comes with the territory.

I like sliding and such, but personally i prefer road racing. Just seems a bit more fun to me.

Its all personal preference i suppose

doomviillain
04-10-2011, 05:24 PM
So its not a real sport cause your afraid to crash? man up. If you crash suck it up and get back out there.

now tell me, where in my sentence did I say im afraid of crashing, hence I dont drift? If you want me to be specific imma say its by choice I choose to grip race instead of drift. Why? Your more likely to wreck when you drift, then to burn through tires every second, its not for me. Im not looking to argue either just furthering my opinion. And sorry if it looks like im dissing the drift scene, thats probably why your offended. Ill rephrase what I stated earlier, grip racing seems more of like a real sport because it doesnt look as wreckless. Happy now?

-LSD-
04-10-2011, 06:02 PM

+1 for the grip crowd

Its all depends what kinda drift u r talking about and what kinda grip u r talking about, both of them very expensive on PRO level, but beginner is cheap for both. Same as ppl do crash in grip racing, sometimes even worth than in drift (higher speeds, more cars around, etc). But yeah, grip is serious stuff, ppl drift to have fun in their lives, i believe. I love both tho, as long as im in 240 :angel:

articdragon192
04-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Both styles of driving are fun, but have their dangers as well. You can easily go off course road racing and dig into soft dirt, causing a roll and/or flip, just as easily as you can stuff a car into a wall sideways.

jdmjap808
04-10-2011, 07:35 PM
808 Grip Racer

ayuaddict
04-10-2011, 07:44 PM
S30z for grip.

S13 for drift.

Civic for daily, kinda turned into a decent grip platform.

so two out of three makes me a "grip driver"?

c72c
04-10-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm just an enthusiast of it all, grip, slide, drag, dirt, doesn't matter, I do it all to have fun. even hard-park :D

doomviillain
04-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Its all depends what kinda drift u r talking about and what kinda grip u r talking about, both of them very expensive on PRO level, but beginner is cheap for both. Same as ppl do crash in grip racing, sometimes even worth than in drift (higher speeds, more cars around, etc). But yeah, grip is serious stuff, ppl drift to have fun in their lives, i believe. I love both tho, as long as im in 240 :angel:
your right about that, im just speaking from my perspecitve. I admit I get the car to slide sometimes:D who doesnt slide their 240? but im talking on a pro level that drifting gets pricey but now that I think about it they are both expensive.
Both styles of driving are fun, but have their dangers as well. You can easily go off course road racing and dig into soft dirt, causing a roll and/or flip, just as easily as you can stuff a car into a wall sideways.
I guess it all depends on how you want to crash lol jk, it would be great to learn both as it will bump your driving skill.

holemilk00
04-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I grip race, track days, autox and so on. I absolutely love it, its relaxing to me. As for what -LSD- said, I go to track days for fun in my life, I don't see where that is limited to drifting.

I'm just hoping for the day when we can have judges to give us style points at mid-ohio so we can be a real sport /sarcasm.

guitaraholic
04-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Definatly a grip driver here. I've had my 240 for 3 years and never drifted her once.

I'm glad to see that there are still those that like to go fast though the twisties.

articdragon192
04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
I guess it all depends on how you want to crash lol jk, it would be great to learn both as it will bump your driving skill.

I can definitely say that both driving styles will help the other immensely. I've learned a lot from drifting that I have been able to apply in road racing with confidence, and I've learned a lot about how the chassis of my car reacts due to road racing, and been able to apply that to drifting. Here's an old video of me chasing down xpertsnowcarver in his S13 at Buttonwillow.
L_nOFFjCHlE

'97 S14 SE Turbo
04-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Agreed. I grip, therefore I drift.

Took my '97 S14 to open track events back in '97, with only 1k on the odometer. It was years later, like '01, that I got into drifting, only to improve my grip skills.

I figured that by gripping, I'm approaching the tire limits from a conservative side, but never really got to learn how to control the car when the tire limits are exceeded. With that, I got into drifting, figuring that if I lose control on purpose, I get to learn the car control when the tire's limits have been exceeded.

Ever since that, I drive my car in a low-angle 4 wheel drift method. Yup. That's pretty much the limits of gripping, and maintaining car control, which is gripping at the limits.

mikerbike
04-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Not sure where you go for events, but when I do road racing events, I usually get around 5-6 25-30 minute sessions.
The drift events in comparison are usually 20-25 minutes long, with about 4-5 sessions. Plus, you aren't constantly running the session, either waiting for your turn to run, whereas with road racing, you're constantly on the track, equating to longer actual seat time and minimal to zero wait time within your session.

Utah. Our CHEAPEST track days here are $125 for four 20-minute sessions. Our drift events are too small for sessions, so it's $50 ($75 last year) for 8 hours of as many runs as I can handle with a MAX of ~20 drivers. And autocross got boring years ago..

articdragon192
04-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Utah. Our CHEAPEST track days here are $125 for four 20-minute sessions. Our drift events are too small for sessions, so it's $50 ($75 last year) for 8 hours of as many runs as I can handle with a MAX of ~20 drivers. And autocross got boring years ago..

Our road racing events vary from $120-$180 for a normal track event. So about under 2 hours of consistent driving on track.
With driving, say each run is about 20 seconds, wait about 15-20 minutes between runs, so that's what... about 24-28 runs at best within those 8 hours, if you go non stop, so that's around 15-20 minutes at best of on track driving.

mikerbike
04-10-2011, 11:51 PM
15-20 MINUTES between runs? Our courses are 20-25 seconds usually. But we really usually have 15 drivers, most of which don't have tires to run all day. So it's more like 3-4 minutes between runs. I see your point though.

ixfxi
04-11-2011, 09:28 AM

no. its not a real sport because its retarded.

i love drifting, but i dont really care for the scene thats spawned because of it trend/hype

Touge_drifter
04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
I love track days. in michigan there are really only two nice tracks. Im not a huge fan of waterford hills mainly because its not a boost friendly track. I like gingerman and love gratten. looking forward to mid-ohio, VIR and road atlanta this summer. its not that bad money wise either. about double what an auto-x event would be. Plus it makes yo ua better driver. I have a medium group of people that I do track days with.........dollar for dollar its a blast!

nissanpower240sxse
04-11-2011, 09:43 AM
drifitng is awesome to watch but it isnt for me. i genuinely love my car and its the only one i have. so id rather not crash into a wall, and in autox theres like a 10% chance you will crash your car. both sports u blow through tires and other random parts that cant take the hard driving, but thats just how i upgrade, break it and build it bigger.

my autox is also more fun cause its everything goes all cars against each other, so it feels pretty cool when u beat the old geezer in his brand new sti

evomike
04-11-2011, 09:54 AM
I enjoy both grip and drifting, I despise auto-x and I'm pretty sure this season I'm gonna strictly do hill climbs.

Backintoans13
04-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I like drifting but im building my car for road racing/time attack. Back in 01 i was building for drift but after getting my 350Z in 07, i did time attack and fell in love with it. Our local track days here are $80 for the day and its from 8am till pretty much sun down. Our time attack events are $50 a day and practice is from 8am-1pm then competition at 2pm which roughly lasts till 4-5 depending on attendance of course but after that you can go on the track still. Drifting is still pretty cool to me so ill still do it when my cars ready but over all im more fan of grip :cool:

charat
04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
can't we all love the best of all worlds?

simmode1
04-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Took my '97 S14 to open track events back in '97, with only 1k on the odometer. It was years later, like '01, that I got into drifting, only to improve my grip skills.

I figured that by gripping, I'm approaching the tire limits from a conservative side, but never really got to learn how to control the car when the tire limits are exceeded. With that, I got into drifting, figuring that if I lose control on purpose, I get to learn the car control when the tire's limits have been exceeded.

Ever since that, I drive my car in a low-angle 4 wheel drift method. Yup. That's pretty much the limits of gripping, and maintaining car control, which is gripping at the limits.
This. I won't completely advocate either style either. Seems to me that combining both can only make you a better driver.

Amusingly enough, they featured this driving philosophy & technique in Project D with the S2000 driver nicknamed GodArm. He always drove on the edge or limit of adhesion, that line right in between Grip & Drift. I, personally haven't been able to practice this myself yet (seems like it would be scary fucking fast IRL), but it's the style that makes the most sense to me since this is how I drive in Turismo... lol

terribleone
04-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Same as alot of other people here.... I love drifting very much but I'm building my car mostly for Time Attack/grip driving!

ericcastro
04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
i love how there is a completely different forum for those of us who actually care about what i call, performance. you know, real performance

You know drift cars are just as much about performance as well.

+1 for the grip crowd
But Grip tires cost a shit ton of money too.
And to be decently competitive with grip, i think you have to do more to your car.

I'm just an enthusiast of it all, grip, slide, drag, dirt, doesn't matter, I do it all to have fun. even hard-park :D
I agree with everything but hard park.
Its all motorsports, and its all awesome :)

Out of all the reality show race events I have done in the last month, Oval was by far the funnest, lol (fucking nascar, lol)

Agreed, being a good "drifter will improve your car control so much on grip.
You wont be afraid to bounce though corners at 95mph with the back tryin to swing out. definatly made me better.

that being said, auto cross will improve your drifting because of having to learn how to balance and use the weight shift of your car. (road racing is to wide open for weight shirt to be used in that manner)

no. its not a real sport because its retarded.

i love drifting, but i dont really care for the scene thats spawned because of it trend/hype
Is it not a "real sport"?
or do you just not like the scene?

Starfire97
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
me me me! well i've only had my car about a month, and funds aint around, but my goal is to build my kouki for grip. something about going sideways doesnt agree with my senses.

RazOO7
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Lot of great answers, glad to know that the grip scene is strong as well.

Now, an additional question: In your daily driving, do you approach corners with a drift mentality, or a grip mentality? Picture a nice wide flat 90 degree turn. Do you strive to hit that apex just right with speed, or kick the back end out and see how much angle you can get?

holemilk00
04-11-2011, 06:07 PM

Now, an additional question: In your daily driving, do you approach corners with a drift mentality, or a grip mentality? Picture a nice wide flat 90 degree turn. Do you strive to hit that apex just right with speed, or kick the back end out and see how much angle you can get?

I burn HWY138 and Bethal Church rd up all the time, all grip. ;)

ericcastro
04-11-2011, 06:08 PM

well, they both share a common middle apex and the outer apex just vary depending on speed, so it should be the same.

outer, to inside, to outer.
Welded diffs late apex and peg leggers can take it in the center

:ddog:

Starfire97
04-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I try to grip, as sliding on NYC streets is extremely nerve racking lol. combination of braking, downshifting, and steering angle, as well as acceleration on the exit. but occasionally, i do like to see if i can slide it (i drive a 240, after all :x )

holemilk00
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I drive properly and follow all laws and posted speed limits when on public streets.

Touge_drifter
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM
I drive properly and follow all laws and posted speed limits when on public streets.

^^^I try to.

Starfire97
04-11-2011, 06:42 PM
you can follow all laws and still grip drive, technically. i can turn into a wide 1-lane , 1-way street and hit the apex and accelerate out of the turn, all under 30 mph ;)

i mean, the s14 kicks the rear out so easily, its hard to not break laws. sometimes i'll just upshift and hit the gas a little too early :D

holemilk00
04-11-2011, 06:46 PM
I know, it was a disclaimer statement on my part.

Starfire97
04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
meh, everyone here is hard-headed so no need for a disclaimer. we all do as we like.

jdmjap808
04-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Im actually trying to get my honda friends to move up from going straight. Test your skills and cars..

'97 S14 SE Turbo
04-11-2011, 07:06 PM

Especially corners. Like taking a 90 degree corner @ 45 mph... Using combination of steering and throttle steer...

sil80owner
04-11-2011, 07:09 PM
I prefer grip over drift :D touge is what i do:fawk:

c72c
04-11-2011, 08:54 PM

^ This :D

for DD, it all depends on traffic but usually grip.
Using what you learn on the track to avoid other people's bad driving is awesome :hahano:

frftw
04-16-2011, 08:07 PM
i dont think anyone should aim to go sideways around a corner. that said i take every corner like im racing, minus the speed and not crossing yellow lines, efficient driving also means better fuel economy! save money and have fun! i like to see how little gas i can use to maintain crusing speed through corners, good practice for when i do go fast too its all the same principles