PDA

View Full Version : Rods/Arms Replacement?

Kevin_S14
04-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I just recently bought a 1998 s14 and would really like to replace some arms and rods since they are still on OEM suspension. I need opinions on what part i should replace/change first? I was planning on using SPL and Ksports parts? :goyou:

Kevin_S14
04-08-2011, 11:50 AM
bump for info?

Phate
04-08-2011, 12:21 PM
You CANNOT go wrong with SPL parts. Its what I'm buying. Read some of the threads theyve posted in.

Kevin_S14
04-08-2011, 03:59 PM
yeah i have heard nothing but good things about SPL. but i wanted to know which rods/arms is the most important to change first since it is over 10 years old. i drive my car everyday and dont want anything to snap or break. i also plan on drifting in the future once i get some stuff done

shinhed
04-08-2011, 08:20 PM
It's NOT important to change rods/arms unless they have accident damage or severe corrosion. Where did you hear that it was important to change them? All you probably would benefit most from is a bushing kit. Most of the high end suspension linkages are for extreme suspension tuning and wheel fitment.

My kouki is just fine with it's 10+ y/o stock suspension.

RazOO7
04-09-2011, 08:15 AM
You really don't need to change anything unless you break something, change wheels, or lower your car. If you do want to start changing things, start with the RUCAs.

Kevin_S14
04-09-2011, 07:10 PM
thanks guys

Drift_86
04-09-2011, 11:08 PM
I know you have stock suspension just to let people know if you have your car lowered you might wanna change them I found that hard way and needed to buy new tires cause your camber are off

Steinkrunk
04-09-2011, 11:18 PM
If you are worried about suspension pieces failing I would change out your tie rods first. PBM or Ikeya Formula inners paired with MOOG s14 outers is a great combo. The only reason I suggest this is because I had a tie rod just shear right off and almost send me into a jersey barrier at 70. That was just driving normal with a car that was daily driven, never beat on/drifted.

ZAKU
04-10-2011, 12:00 AM
I know you have stock suspension just to let people know if you have your car lowered you might wanna change them I found that hard way and needed to buy new tires cause your TOE is off

People don't realize toe is an absolute KILLER when it comes to tires, it doesn't help that the 240sx has a toe happy suspension design.

I bought SPC arms for my car because it's street only. rubber bushings to keep my fat butt comfortable, full adjustability because I'm a wannabe race car driver.

Drift_86
04-10-2011, 12:14 AM
People don't realize toe is an absolute KILLER when it comes to tires, it doesn't help that the 240sx has a toe happy suspension design.

I bought SPC arms for my car because it's street only. rubber bushings to keep my fat butt comfortable, full adjustability because I'm a wannabe race car driver.

Well I had really big wheels And I had to change everything I was getting to much negative camber and was wasting one side of my tires in a few month

Nizzan4u2nv
04-10-2011, 12:25 AM
From what ive seen over the years, tension rods usually go bad first. Then inner/outer tie rods and boot. Check out your motor mounts and rear subframe bushings as well as those are common culprits for wear and tear as far as rubber goes. As for rear arm bushings ive had 2 s chassis with 200k plus and the bushings werent too bad when I swapped them out so id do those last.

Drift_86
04-10-2011, 12:37 AM
From what ive seen over the years, tension rods usually go bad first. Then inner/outer tie rods and boot. Check out your motor mounts and rear subframe bushings as well as those are common culprits for wear and tear as far as rubber goes. As for rear arm bushings ive had 2 s chassis with 200k plus and the bushings werent too bad when I swapped them out so id do those last.

Yup I agree I think one of the best upgrade you can do for your suspension is changing your testing rod

Kevin_S14
04-10-2011, 02:28 AM

thanks this was exactly what i was looking for :bow:

95s14rb25
04-13-2011, 09:00 AM
i have a 95 with 170K. my outer tie rods and tension rods were both shot. also my diff bushing were pretty bad. good luck

Kevin_S14
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
i have a 95 with 170K. my outer tie rods and tension rods were both shot. also my diff bushing were pretty bad. good luck

yeah i have a 98 with 180K. guess i will just replace parts when i have some leftover money

WorkInProgress
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
First arms I replaced were the tension rods. I went SPL. I autocross a bit and daily my shit pretty low so next I replaced the RUCA's and toe rods, mainly for alignment purposes.

Oh and sway bar bushings anybody? Easy and noticeable I though.