PDA

View Full Version : Rookies to Racers - documentary on sim players to racers

HyperTek
04-05-2011, 05:30 PM
iRacing – Rookies to Racers Documentary Trailer ยป VirtualR – Sim Racing News (http://www.virtualr.net/iracing-rookies-to-racers-documentary-trailer/#respond)

iRacing has released a short excerpt of “Rookies to Racers” a documentary about the 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup series that featured iRacing member Wyatt Gooden.
Gooden won the virtual iRacing VW Jetta TDI Championship, earning the 21-year old a fully paid drive in the real-life racing series. He outperformed over 1100 competitors to clinch the drive and made a smooth transition to real racing, winning the VW Jetta TDI Cup race at Mid Ohio.
You can check out a short exerpt of the documentary below, American sim racers can check out the full documentary on several channels: Science Channel: April 7th @ 8pm. Planet Green: April 14th @ 8pm. Discovery HD: April 20th @ 8pm

z9_RiMwlmHM

Pretty cool
I have yet to try Iracing since its a subscription based sim.
Bet you cant accomplish that with Shift2 or Grid :snoop:

Iracing is pretty serious though, your performance gets rated and ranked, they have leagues and competitions, real prizes get awarded to players.
RXIFDJWE-tg

makes shift 2's claims of being the most realistic look like a joke.

sw20>>s14
04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
wow, thats pretty cool...sure beats the snot outta battle gear/initial D, LOL...

tricky_ab
04-05-2011, 08:03 PM
wow, thats pretty cool...sure beats the snot outta battle gear/initial D, LOL...

Errr...Apples to oranges?!

Anyways, my friend won't stop talking about this game. I'm going to have to check it out at his house next time I talk to him.

Oh and didn't top gear do something like this? I believe the kid was like 4 seconds off of professional times and he had never raced on the track.

04-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Iracing is pretty serious though, your performance gets rated and ranked, they have leagues and competitions, real prizes get awarded to players.

Yeah I have been racing off and on (more off) with iRacing for 2 years and it's insane how serious it is. Racing is very intense, you don't want to fuck up and screw up your Safety Rating, that is what makes it so realistic. Without fear (which most race and sim games are) you do stuff you would never do in a real race car. You still never have that real true fear of doing damage to yourself or car ($$$$), but with the safety rating system it does help keep you honest. Also doesn't hurt the tracks are laser scanned. I have raced in the scca wheel to wheel for a long time and can definitely say LRP, WGI, NHMS, and VIR are identical to the real thing.

The cons are, it's expensive, if you are not a hardcore sim racer or don't have the time (me), you will not have as much fun with it.

Eventually I would like to build a sim rig but just don't have the time right now to be sim racing. Real race season is starting. lol

xQk9NoLs8_E

tricky_ab
04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
^^ I second that! The same friend I had mentioned earlier bought some crazy $600 wheel setup. He's going all in right now!

ZenkiKid
04-06-2011, 11:58 AM
guys that I race with (I race RC offroad) play this.. and yes it gets pretty damn serious. You can spectate the races and they get pretty heated.

04-30-2011, 11:17 AM
New iRacing build launched with lots of updates. Night time racing and Okayama Track (full and short). They will also have Twin Ring Motegi, Tsukuba Circuit and Suzuka at some point. Suzuka, NJMP, Zolder, Oulton, and Oran are currently in cunstruction. I need to make time to get back into this!

Z7n1-dCaleU

Freddy
04-30-2011, 02:07 PM
scanned to 2mm god damn!

Otto347
05-01-2011, 01:03 PM
that shit looks so fun! I didnt realize it was so serious but then again the budget to do this and see if you could even hack it in a real racecar would be a hell of a lot less than prepping a car, travel to the track and so on.....

Yes! lol

http://idisk.mac.com/henning.piez/Public/20dez/DSC_8550.JPG

http://www.insidesimracing.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=3175

illvialuver
05-01-2011, 01:16 PM
wow. it looks like it would not even be classified as a video game, but as an actually digital reality type of thing.

Otto347
05-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Anyone know how realistic the feedback is on a good steering wheel/pedal setup?

LimeLite Racing
05-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Anyone know how realistic the feedback is on a good steering wheel/pedal setup?

Probably just depends on how much you want to spend.

Otto347
05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah looks like there are companys that make all kinds of stuff that interact with the G27 setup to make it more realistic.

BOROSUN
05-01-2011, 03:56 PM
that setup..its suppose to create/simulate roll (left/right) and pitch (up/down). i dont know how good since its only one link point.

checkout simcraft has two separate for roll and pitch. they even have a yaw motion on the high end model.
hEpX0tQiNoo

anyways, i was watching this. i thought they were fully sponsored. but, turns out if they damage or wreck the cars. the damages comes out on their own pocket.

DreamN
05-01-2011, 04:36 PM
The money put into this is insane. I plan on a very budget setup to race on iracing, but it's simply updating my graphics card (already ordered) and buying a steering wheel setup. More than likely I'll go with a used G25.

Though I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than going out to the track, obviously no where near as fun, but it should satisfy me for a bit till I have some more money to actually track the coupe.

Rabbi010
05-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I might have to buy this

chiboy002
05-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Oh and didn't top gear do something like this? I believe the kid was like 4 seconds off of professional times and he had never raced on the track.
4 seconds is actually a lot when it comes to racing

towlie
05-01-2011, 08:08 PM
4 seconds is actually a lot when it comes to racing

True

If it was 0.4 off or something we would have gold

Btw, look who's not pinked anymore!

One_love_silvia
05-01-2011, 09:35 PM
wewt my last name is in the ep. 8 video at 10:04!