PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE swap won't start

GoodFellaDavey
04-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Just installed a KA24DE in an 89 chassis. The engine cranks over but we aren't getting fuel or spark. Tested for spark at the plugs and at the ignitor, and got nothing. We pulled a spark plug and there was no fuel on it. Also, the fuel pump isn't priming.

We've set the distributor properly, so that shouldn't be an issue. Checked our grounds as well.

Any advice?

:lfault:

Pro ViZIon
04-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Your issue is with wiring it sounds like. Double check that its correct. Are you getting any voltage anywhere with key on? Also are you using the twin cam ecu, maf, coil assembly and harness?

Its pretty funny though that I just started a "no start" thread as well.

GoodFellaDavey
04-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Wiring is correct (yellow-red to same, yellow-green to same, orange to orange blue-blue to same and black grounded to another black wire going to ecu plug). And yep, using the DOHC maf, harness and ignition coil.

And yeah, I just saw that after I posted, haha.

chetacheese
04-03-2011, 01:54 PM
no fuel?
check if fuel rail has the proper feed/return hoses
or unplug the feed hose and route it to a bottle, try cranking and see if fuel comes out. if not then your problem is before that hose.

no spark?
check your coil
your timing may be off. (line up the dots on the distributor teeth, and stab it so it rotates accordingly.
hope this helps.

Pro ViZIon
04-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Check all your harness grounds. There's one on the front side of the intake manifold and another on the driver side of the head on the back. Did you check for power to anything?

GoodFellaDavey
04-03-2011, 02:21 PM
We've checked the grounds and they are fine. No issues there. We're getting no noise from the fuel pump when we turn the ignition on, but we hooked 12V up to the pump and it started pumping...

Pro ViZIon
04-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Check all electronics plugs for power. (I.e injectors, coil, dizzy).

Check the egi and egi pump relays for operation and with key on check for power at the posts where the relays plug into.

GoodFellaDavey
04-03-2011, 02:48 PM
UPDATE: We're officially retarded... and the car still doesn't start.

The ECU plug wasn't screwed in tight enough... yeah. So I tightened it up. We now have fuel pump working. It primes. But I pulled a spark plug and there wasn't any fuel smell on them. We pulled the fuel line and there was definitely fuel getting to that point.

When we turned the car over then turned the ignition off, the EGI relay under the hood started to buzz, and did so until we pulled it out. What does that mean?

Also we ran the diagnostics and got a code 55, so that's good I guess.

GoodFellaDavey
04-03-2011, 02:53 PM
And the EGI relay only buzzes after I turn the ignition off. Turn the ignition back on, the fuel pump primes again and the buzzing stops. Still no spark. We also changed out the relay a few times, and the buzzing continued.

GoodFellaDavey
04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Another update. We pulled the fuel rail and we're not getting any fuel.

I changed out the two relays near the fuse box under the dash on the driver side (blue and black) as I read in another thread that may be causing the issue. I also found another wire under there that looked like a ground. I grounded it and the buzzing has now stopped. Still no fuel or spark though.

Pro ViZIon
04-03-2011, 05:13 PM
So no spark. Is it there's no fuel to the rail or the injectors aren't firing?

GoodFellaDavey
04-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Injectors aren't firing. There was fuel coming out of the fuel hose when we pulled it. But no fuel coming out of the injectors.

Pro ViZIon
04-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Again double check your grounds and wiring at the ecu. it should be firing.

I had that problem with mine and looked at the wiring for the ecu ground for the fuel and it wasn't done very well. Once I fixed it they were working. Also ohm check your injectors to make sure they all work.

GoodFellaDavey
04-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Again double check your grounds and wiring at the ecu. it should be firing.

I had that problem with mine and looked at the wiring for the ecu ground for the fuel and it wasn't done very well. Once I fixed it they were working. Also ohm check your injectors to make sure they all work.

ECU wiring is correct. Checked it 1034382094832 times lol. For grounds we have one from the head (driver side dont remember exactly where) going to the firewall and another from the intake mani to below the battery tray. Are there any others?

Does the ECU have to be grounded (bolted up) to work properly? Right now, it's just sitting on the floor. Where is this ECU ground for fuel you speak of?

Pro ViZIon
04-04-2011, 04:01 PM
There's a small black harness ground on top of the intake mani by the head.

GoodFellaDavey
04-04-2011, 04:43 PM
There's a small black harness ground on top of the intake mani by the head.

Really? I don't remember seeing that. Got a pic? I'd go look on my car, but we store it across town from where I live.

Pro ViZIon
04-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Here it is on my car. Its black wire attached to the mani right in the middle of the photo.

GoodFellaDavey
04-09-2011, 06:30 PM
It's alive!!! I bought some 6ga wire and redid some grounds and cleaned up some wiring. Then we combed through all the wiring for the aftermarket starter/alarm and completely removed it. Then it finally fired up!

Pro ViZIon
04-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Right on man. Glad to hear it.