PDA

View Full Version : transmission woes.

keistyle
04-02-2011, 02:29 PM
About 7 months ago....
i was on my way to get a smog and i noticed my tranny start acting funny (trans or clutch [not sure which one exactly]). It felt as if they clutch was not disengaging all the way and it was getting tough to shift gears. Eventually, i was not able to switch gears at all, as if the clutch was always engaged. I pulled over and chilled for a bit, utterly confused at this point.

things i know it is not:

New clutch master and slave cylinder
new clutch (i thought the old clutch blew up, but it was still in good condition when i took it out)

the problem persisted even after i installed the new clutch. Maybe i need to adjust the clutch pedal? But i'm not even sure what to look for.
Could it be a bad transmission?

Sileighty_85
04-02-2011, 02:31 PM
possibly master Cylinder look under the car and have someone push the pedal and watch to see if the slave moves

keistyle
04-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that the hydrolics are working fine. I replaced and bleed both with a pal of mines.

possibly master Cylinder look under the car and have someone push the pedal and watch to see if the slave moves

Sileighty_85
04-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Pivot Ball is probably broken.

SPL Parts Clutch Fork Pivot Ball SR20DET & KA24 RWD (http://www.frsport.com/SPL-Parts-Clutch-Fork-Pivot-Ball-SR20DET---KA24-RWD-_p_16942.html)

240sxrb25
04-02-2011, 03:02 PM
nissan transmissions blow. i am on my third one with my KA single cam car.

idk what it is about them but clutches break and shaft bearings go out like mad. i know im not helping but im just letting a little past frustration out.

SPECIALTURD
04-02-2011, 03:04 PM
i had a similar issue where my car would work fine one day and the next it wouldnt want to go into any gear.

keistyle
04-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Pivot Ball is probably broken.

SPL Parts Clutch Fork Pivot Ball SR20DET & KA24 RWD (http://www.frsport.com/SPL-Parts-Clutch-Fork-Pivot-Ball-SR20DET---KA24-RWD-_p_16942.html)

It didn't look broken when i dropped the tranny and inspected it.
:(

rollout240
04-03-2011, 03:10 PM
when the picovt ball breaks the fork usually flies out of whack. (from experience) do the gears go in fine when the car is off? I heard (so dont quote me) that if your gears go in when the car is off then your tranny is ok. so it could be the clutch.

rollout240
04-03-2011, 03:12 PM
im having an issue with my tranny right now as well. at high rpms the gears grind. Im guessing that it's bad oil in mine. From what i read up on the forums. When the car is off everything seems to be fine and even in idle. the gears go in right.

keistyle
04-04-2011, 08:54 AM
when the picovt ball breaks the fork usually flies out of whack. (from experience) do the gears go in fine when the car is off? I heard (so dont quote me) that if your gears go in when the car is off then your tranny is ok. so it could be the clutch.

Hey, thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah, it goes into gears fine when it is off. Cool, ~hopefully that means transmission is fine.

You guys have me thinking that maybe my clutch fork is bent. I've decided dropping the tranny would be necessar.y (for the 3rd damn time without driving it >:0 )