PDA

View Full Version : Performance loss because of an audio system

RedlineRacer
10-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Is this possible? When I have my system cranked up and idling, my rpms jump really bad. Like from 1,200 to 600. I was just thinking that it is probably draining my car the same way when I am driving. Any thoughts?

whateverjames
10-05-2003, 07:46 PM
it can definitely do that. i even notice it when driving (loss of power), when i have the stereo cranked. i love my tunes loud but sometimes it best for me to keep it turned down. saves my ears and a little gasoline.

hookedup240
10-05-2003, 07:52 PM
I notice it while at a stop but not while driving. The only reason your idle bounces is because you are draining power from the battery/alternator, i don't think you lose any power though or use up more gas. That really makes no sense to me but then again i don't know. Someone pls explain.

whateverjames
10-05-2003, 07:59 PM
If I have the subs turned up, it slows my car down (not by a whole lot) but I have to give it more gas than normal to accellerate.

RedlineRacer
10-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I feel like sometimes when I am trying to take off kinda hard, I feel a little bogged down when I have my system cranked up. But that could just be in my head. But for the most part, when I have my system up, I am usually just cruising around and I don't care about going fast.