PDA

View Full Version : Need some help/advice Search Warrant

9s13Coupe3SX
03-30-2011, 01:32 PM
So my girlfriend house was raided last night. We wasn't there when it first started, we arrived when they was in the process of trashing/searching the house.

Upon being helded in the kitchen with the family I see cops taking stuff and a few particular items I caught was my girlfriend cash box which had a large amount of cash in it and a gun box that my bro inlaw legally and registered being taking away like they were trying to conceal it from us knowing. I told the cop that they're taking property that has nothing to do with their search and that box contain some important identification of mines beside the large sum of money.

Cop gives me a attitude and says it's going to be used as evidence, eventho it's not even related. All I ask was if I could get my id's and he said NO to BAD...wow.

After the drama comes to an end we ask if we can get reciepts for what they took, cop says "no we don't give you any reciept, you bring us reciepts/proof of what we took is yours" thinking to myself something isn't right here.

I go online to do some research and I find out that they were suppose to leave a detailed reciept of what they took with us and other laws/rules that they was suppose to do, like the knock-notice rule.

I have been trying to contact the main detective of the search warrant and he has yet be in office. I already proceeded to contact a lawyer. If anyone how has been in the same sitution and if could recommend a law firm who has deal with this, please pm or any advice/help please. thank you.

Daniel.
03-30-2011, 01:40 PM
To be honest, I don't know if we're going to be able to give you any useful feedback or advice here.

Hopefully the lawyer you contacted and the detective in charge will be able to clarify the situation a bit better for you.

lawrenceyang
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
thats some shady ass shit. hopefully you get your property back

iROYAL
03-30-2011, 02:14 PM
http://www.ricardospringer.com/Ricardo.Springer/RoomRaiders_files/Room%20Raiders%20812%20.jpg

GL getting your stuff back.

BustedS13
03-30-2011, 02:29 PM
so why'd they get raided? sucks.

Gnnr
03-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Get An Attorney

HyperTek
03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
If you dont mind us asking, any reason why there was a search warrant? someone in her fam dealing?

sw20>>s14
03-30-2011, 03:36 PM
maybe it was the english police...

sounds like alonso got in trouble with the russians again...

sidewaysil80
03-30-2011, 03:40 PM
lol, there had to be a reason this happened. i've never heard of cops going through the hassle, time, manpower to do a full scale search/raid on a whim. i'd really like to hear the other side to this story or at least get the whole thing :/ i'm not saying they were right in what they did but i'd really like to know what your demeanor/attitude where like and why they were their in the first place. and the stupid question, are you 100% sure they were legit?

9s13Coupe3SX
03-30-2011, 04:52 PM
I rather not say the reason for the warrant, due to it isn't my problem/business to begin with. My only concern is my id's and the large amount of money that was taken from my girlfriend bedroom. I have contacted my lawyer and they're going thru the motions wat not. I had a cool attitude and ask nicely about my items when it was being taken away, what's shady is that they were concealing the items being taken and also didn't give us s detailed receipt. I also went to the police station to confirm wat was taking and they said they're still going thru all the items and I ask for my id and social back and they said they can't verify that they have it... WTF.

Wat I'm asking is there questions that I already ask my lawyer or things I can do that I haven't already done. Thx

the a3k
03-30-2011, 04:59 PM
they are supposed to leave a detailed receipt that you sign off on i believe. dont trust the police

KiLLeR2001
03-30-2011, 05:13 PM
I rather not say the reason for the warrant, due to it isn't my problem/business to begin with.

Guess what? It becomes your problem/business when you incorporate yourself with people who are doing shady things. You brought this upon yourself, stop acting like an innocent bystander. :smash:

BustedS13
03-30-2011, 05:42 PM
lol, there had to be a reason this happened. i've never heard of cops going through the hassle, time, manpower to do a full scale search/raid on a whim.

cops do raids on the wrong house all the time. they also murder innocent people who try to defend themselves when a gang of thugs in all black kick the door in at 2am
they may always think they're going after tony montana, but quite often it turns out to be his cousin or somebody, so they get them on simple possession, take some loot, shoot a couple dogs, and roll out

word sux
03-30-2011, 06:06 PM
crooked cops are crooked

they are supposed to write down everything they take. but idk if they have to give you any paper work right there on the spot

selling drugs is baddd mkay?

9s13Coupe3SX
03-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Guess what? It becomes your problem/business when you incorporate yourself with people who are doing shady things. You brought this upon yourself, stop acting like an innocent bystander. :smash:

Really? Guess wat I don't associate with the person that the warrant is for. I am innocent and I pay my taxes. Stop assuming things when u don't know the story.:madfawk:

On a brighter note, my lawyer knows the da and will have the property given back as they can not use it since it's not the person in trouble property. Can not stress enough about having statments n receipts, life savers

BustedS13
03-30-2011, 08:42 PM

cops aren't always right and not everything falling under "shady things" should be illegal

KiLLeR2001
03-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Really? Guess wat I don't associate with the person that the warrant is for. I am innocent and I pay my taxes. Stop assuming things when u don't know the story.:madfawk:

"Hey guys, I need help but I'm not going to tell you all the details. Instead, I'll tell you that the cops took my stuff and didn't even write me a list!!!"

Theres always three sides to a story. You've only given us maybe 1/8th of a story.

HyperTek
03-30-2011, 09:10 PM
I think it would help us better understand the situation and give you better advice.. if your stuff was taken because of a murder , then yeah would be a bitch to get back.

Some people in this thread are saying the cops are in the wrong, when we dont know why they raided your girls house we can make assumptions.

If its bad, take it up with an attorney, or go as far as talk to some news stations about it.

03-30-2011, 09:20 PM
get a lawyer to help you. not zilvia

DS562
03-30-2011, 09:58 PM
its not really a secret, but not many people know this fact; police departments HATE media attention. as far as concealing details about the reason behind the search, as hypertek stated, you are leaving us open to make assumptions. If you have personal items in a home that has just been OK'd for search, too bad. you'll get your stuff back eventually.

Om1kron
03-30-2011, 10:05 PM
you're on the wrong website asking for advice for something like this, second if it goes to a court of law and they have good lawyers this can be used against you.

last but not least if someone you know did something illegal enough to initiate a search warrant of your premises then shit is going to get taken. If you state you are not at liberty or want to refrain as to why the warrant was issued then there's your answer.

Cops just don't dick around and get warrants because they think you have fireworks from mexico at your house, a safe of money and id's doesn't really help your case either.

good luck in court, hopefully if you had no hand in illegal activities there should be no worries at all, but you can definitely expect whatevers in that safe if she can't provide any legal ledger as to why that's in a safe. It will be confiscated by the city and spent by your local government offices on city revenue.

Something like this happened to a postal worker who had a few hundred thousand dollars in a safe, life savings. house burned down to the ground cops recovered the safe, found all the money was fine and found a nice pound of weed up in the safe as well and confiscated all of his money until he can prove he didn't make it selling drugs.

bam.

Gnnr
03-31-2011, 12:39 AM

Sorry. In the United States Judicial System we do not believe in guilt by association. Go to China with that shit, commie. :rolleyes:

az_240
03-31-2011, 02:03 AM
I would have busted my video/phone recorder out for evidence of wrong doing. Someone I know had their house raided. They found xanax that was not prescribed to him and he went to prison for it because he was on probation. Good luck fighting this.

towlie
03-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Start by filing complaints on the officer(s)

Good luck, that sounds sketch

theicecreamdan
03-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Is this your house?

KiLLeR2001
03-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Sorry. In the United States Judicial System we do not believe in guilt by association. Go to China with that shit, commie. :rolleyes:

Where did I say he was guilty of a crime? My point was that if he would make better decisions in who he affiliates with, he wouldn't even be in such a situation.

Daniel.
03-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Where did I say he was guilty of a crime? My point was that if he would make better decisions in who he affiliates with, he wouldn't even be in such a situation.

I didn't realize he was a business. I would have terminated my contract with my GF immediately if I was in his situation.

sw20>>s14
03-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Limited Liability Relationships would be AWESOME!!!

KiLLeR2001
03-31-2011, 07:46 PM
I didn't realize he was a business. I would have terminated my contract with my GF immediately if I was in his situation.

Hah! Funny guy.

Business | Define Business at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/business)

Refer to #6 and #7.

And if you are referring to the term "affiliate"...

Affiliate | Define Affiliate at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/affiliate)

Please see #1 and #2.

Have fun with the English language! :wavey:

axiomatik
04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
ugh people.

1st, you guys are prying too much. The OP's question pertained to whether or not the cops should have left a detailed receipt when they confiscated stuff. Why they were there in the first place is not pertinent. Respect his privacy.

2nd, he already explained that neither himself, nor his girlfriend were the subjects of the search. For those that are pointing fingers, can you be absolutely certain that your GF's brother/sister/uncle/nephew isn't doing something illegal? Should you be held liable if a friend of a friend does something illegal?

Daniel.
04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Hah! Funny guy.

Business | Define Business at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/business)

Refer to #6 and #7.

And if you are referring to the term "affiliate"...

Affiliate | Define Affiliate at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/affiliate)

Please see #1 and #2.

Have fun with the English language! :wavey:

Thanks for proving my point brosef. *thumbs up*

I think the word you were looking for was associate (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/associate).

LimeLite Racing
04-04-2011, 12:39 PM
I would have busted my video/phone recorder out for evidence of wrong doing. Someone I know had their house raided. They found xanax that was not prescribed to him and he went to prison for it because he was on probation. Good luck fighting this.

Dead end. It's illegal to film coppers.

Daniel.
04-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Dead end. It's illegal to film coppers.

AFAIK, it's not illegal in CA unless you're doing it without their knowledge.

LimeLite Racing
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
AFAIK, it's not illegal in CA unless you're doing it without their knowledge.

If he did it with them being knowledgable of it, they probably would have taken the cell phone too.

Daniel.
04-04-2011, 01:08 PM
If he did it with them being knowledgable of it, they probably would have taken the cell phone too.

Speculative, but plausible given the situation.

h2v7
04-04-2011, 05:14 PM
one of those fuck the police threads egh..?

LimeLite Racing
04-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Speculative, but plausible given the situation.

Or at least deleted the video, spent all the cash and called it a day.

MikeisNissan
04-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Just try not to say helded in court k.

maxtrbo93
04-05-2011, 12:19 AM

We here in Canada have guilt by association, if your with a dude carrying weed.. you can and most likely will get charged with possesion.

Kids from my school get caught riding in the wrong car all the time, they find a scale and the kids get hit with "intent to traffic illegal narcotics" or whateverthefu*k the ruling is.

Shits gay.

Bro.

slowvia
04-05-2011, 04:43 PM

Uh, where the f*ck do you live? Guilt by association is very, very real.

KA24DESOneThree
04-06-2011, 08:03 AM
First, police officers almost always must give receipts for any and all property removed from a premises in a search. Certain jurisdictions may differ, but the majority require receipts for everything. In addition, a copy of the search warrant should be given to the owner/caretaker of the property. Failure of the property owner/caretaker to record badge numbers is no excuse; you, your girlfriend, and your brother-in-law would be up shit creek if not for a lawyer who "knows the DA."

If the cash box and the gun box were not in the specific location(s) listed in the warrant, and were not in plain sight, they are likely unlawful seizures requiring further warrants.

I would recommend filing a complaint with the department saying everything you have here. There was an attempt to cover up what was being removed as well as (possible) blatant disregard for procedure. It will likely go nowhere thanks to corruption in the department, but it's possible something will change.

Never be cool and nice when people are seizing your items; it's that kind of thinking that lets the police think they can get away with it in the first place. Don't do anything arrest-worthy, but let them know they're a bunch of assholes.

Finally, if it was drug-related, I hope they found nothing and wasted their money. The less money there is, the less cops there are, the safer we are.

sidewaysil80
04-06-2011, 12:27 PM
The less money there is, the less cops there are, the safer we are.

how can you honestly make that statement?

tricky_ab
04-06-2011, 12:50 PM
We here in Canada have guilt by association, if your with a dude carrying weed.. you can and most likely will get charged with possesion.

Kids from my school get caught riding in the wrong car all the time, they find a scale and the kids get hit with "intent to traffic illegal narcotics" or whateverthefu*k the ruling is.

Shits gay.

Bro.

Um...yeah...