PDA

View Full Version : need some resume advice

HyperTek
03-28-2011, 04:13 PM
My last job was in 09 and it says that on my resume. Though 09-10 i went to school.

How would you play that on your resume? A friend of mine went to a workshop and they said don't list the dates on the resume if you haven't worked in years. What do you guys think?

Id like to just say there haven't been no real solid job offers between the time gaps due to crap economy but I'm sure that wouldn't play well. I do have personal reason though if it comes up *mother had a stroke in may so been taking care of her*

daryl337
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
List it all out. Lay it out that from 09'-10' you were un-employed due to family issues and schooling.

As an employer, blaming the economy (to me) tells me that you either were being selective, or you really didn't try. I know of plenty of small jobs that admittedly not many people would want... but if push came to shove I would take them if it means I get to stay in a bed at night.

Instead of focusing on scapegoats for not working for these last few years, focus more on what you had actually done. If you helped your mother, include that. If your greatest accomplishment was refraining from eating the crumbs in the bottom of a cheetos bag after playing COD:MW2 for 19 solid hours, you may need to embelish a little.

Leetfade
03-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Always be honest. If someone applied for a position I posted and they lied about it, they have 0 chance of a call.

Make sure to highlight the continued education time frame. That will show the fill of the gap. Most hiring managers are WELL aware of the economic turmoil and can understand that gap as well.

Good luck!