PDA

View Full Version : New Firefox 4.0

Gnnr
03-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Anyone else running this? Its super fast.

saleaf
03-24-2011, 09:47 PM
So far so good.

sephiroth99
03-24-2011, 10:07 PM
I do, it's awesome. If you want to change the ugly Firefox button, use this add-on to replace the ugly text with an icon instead. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/movable-firefox-button/

BustedS13
03-24-2011, 10:19 PM
started using the RC a couple weeks ago or whatevs when Chrome started getting finicky with flash. waaaaay faster than before, almost feels like the first time, feels like the very first time, but only almost. mostly feels like Chrome. but yeah, i like it. doesn't hurt that Google is starting to skeeve me out by knowing every mundane detail of my life.

Freddy
03-24-2011, 10:55 PM
it looks like chrome, even IE9 looks the same

Gnnr
03-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Turned off "Tabs on top", all better for me. :cool:

lawrenceyang
03-25-2011, 01:58 PM
how is it compared to chrome ?

matbmorr
03-25-2011, 09:22 PM
The only thing that gets me so far is how they swapped "open in new window" and "open in new tab".....i keep openin new windows lol

iamtheyi
03-26-2011, 01:18 AM
how is it compared to chrome ?

My question exactly? How is it compared side to side? Faster? slower? Cleaner UI?

BustedS13
03-26-2011, 01:33 AM
i'm not sure which i like better. chrome's seach/url bar seems a little faster with suggestions, but firefox lets me choose where i want to search off the dropdown. i do like how Chrome shows your most visited sites in thumbnails on new tabs, if i could have that in firefox i'd blow a load

DreamN
03-26-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm switching over from chrome. I prefer the new look as it mimics Chrome and they switched the "open new window" "open new tab" around on right click so it's perfect now.

The thumbnails at start up would be nice, but no biggie.

HyperTek
03-26-2011, 02:29 AM
thanks for the heads up.. i was all firefox 3.6 or whatever til a month ago i switched to chrome and liked how uncluttered it is, tho i dont really save book marks anymore *i was a pig with firefox*. Gonna try this.

What is a good pop up blocker for firefox?

Chrome had a pretty cool plug in that opens pictures when you mouse over em. I wonder if firefox has a plug in like that...

Think firefox has better security now? I know id get alot of spyware from firefox browsing sites before.

az_240
03-26-2011, 07:01 PM
I do, it's awesome. If you want to change the ugly Firefox button, use this add-on to replace the ugly text with an icon instead. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/movable-firefox-button/

Love how quick the new Firefox is but didn't like the tabs on top so I moved them back below the URL bar by unchecking "tabs on top" in menu.

The ugly Firefox button bugs the hell out of me though. It's retarded you have to pay a suggested contribution to change it...

What is a good pop up blocker for firefox?

Think firefox has better security now? I know id get alot of spyware from firefox browsing sites before.

"Firefox allows you to control both pop-ups and pop-unders through the Content panel (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Options%20window%20-%20Content%20panel) in the Options window. Pop-up blocking is turned on by default, so you don't have to worry about enabling it to prevent pop-ups from appearing in Firefox.
When blocking a pop-up, Firefox displays an information bar."

Firefox blocker not working for you?

ThatGuy
03-26-2011, 07:39 PM
The ugly Firefox button bugs the hell out of me though. It's retarded you have to pay a suggested contribution to change it...

I paid nothing. Firefox button went away as advertised. Now resides next to the tabs. Simple as can be.

Gnnr
03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I don't even have that button. :confused: Maybe I disabled it in my last install and it carried over on the upgrade, don't know....

DreamN
03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
What button?

az_240
03-26-2011, 10:09 PM
^It's in the very upper left corner.... Annoying orange button with "Firefox" on it. Gives you the option to start new tab, start private browsing, print, etc.

I paid nothing. Firefox button went away as advertised. Now resides next to the tabs. Simple as can be.

Weird... I just tried the link again and the "Add To Firefox" button appeared... It wasn't there before... looks like it just needed a refresh.
The smaller icon is much better.

flip3d
03-29-2011, 07:24 PM
The only thing that gets me so far is how they swapped "open in new window" and "open in new tab".....i keep openin new windows lol

Haha. This.

iamtheyi
03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
I downloaded it and I love it. I think I might stay with firefox now. I don't know but Firefox seems more crisp. Can't explain it. They're pretty similar though..

sephiroth99
03-30-2011, 07:03 AM

You know that if you middle-click (mouse wheel click) on a link, it will open it in a new tab? That's one less step than right-click on a link and the left-click on open in a new tab :)

az_240
03-31-2011, 10:35 AM
I started having problems with this new Firefox... First it started taking forever to open after booting up my computer for the day. Then after closing the browser and trying to reopen I'd get the Firefox is already running but not responding please restart error.

Checked task manager and it's not already running. Checked Mozilla support and went through the steps of trying to delete the parent folder but that was fine.... tried restarting my comp and just had the same issue. There was no other troubleshoot info sooo going back to Chrome. Firefox made some GIFs run weird anyway.